View Full Version : Any Northside Memories??????

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Prunepicker
04-30-2009, 05:37 PM
... Grant guys used to have cherry Bomb fights... Man, I'd love to have a box
of those now... Probably end up in Jail though... How about those lady
fingers... How many could you pop in the palm of your hand?? be honest
now...

I'll bet you can get them on the black market. I was smart enough to not
pop any firecrackers in my hand.

In the 50's you could tear open a Black Cat or Zebra firecracker and some of
the packing would be newspaper and many times it'd be the comic section.

papaOU
04-30-2009, 09:25 PM
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
You're A Sicko...Only someone from Capitol Hill would think of the stalls being a toilet.........Grant guys used to have cherry Bomb fights.....Man, I'd love to have a box of those now....Probably end up in Jail though....How about those lady fingers.....How many could you pop in the palm of your hand?????be honest now....

Bet you were one of those guys that put his arm against another and place a lit cigarette between you and see who could last the longest.

And people think I'm strange for letting a woman walk on my back while wearing spiked heels................

RealJimbo
07-02-2009, 03:30 PM
Anyone remember the Delta Drive-In? How about The Gridiron? Mr. Mac's? Simmons' Dairy Boy? The Ritz Theater? Fitzgerald's Place? The OLD Wedgewood on N. May? The old airport at N. May and Britton, across from Twilight Garden? Puddin' Lanes? Pappy's Pool Hall? Maddox's Grocery? Knox-less Gas Station on N. Western? Corson's Grocery on N. Western? Shadid's? The Rocket Grocery? University Heights Grade School?

Prunepicker
07-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Anyone remember the Delta Drive-In? How about The Gridiron? Mr. Mac's?
Simmons' Dairy Boy? The Ritz Theater? Fitzgerald's Place? The OLD
Wedgewood on N. May? The old airport at N. May and Britton, across from
Twilight Garden? Puddin' Lanes? Pappy's Pool Hall? Maddox's Grocery?
Knox-less Gas Station on N. Western? Corson's Grocery on N. Western?
Shadid's? The Rocket Grocery? University Heights Grade School?

The Gridiron was a regular stop. Good burgers. Leo had a BBQ cafe after
the Gridiron closed. It wasn't as good as the one on Kelly. Leo's has
really dropped in quality since he passed away.

Where was Simmon's Dairy Boy? I knew of a few of them.

Isn't the hanger on north May still there? It was the Christian Center for a
long time. Maybe it was disassembled in the 90's and moved, but I don't
think so. I remember the water tower next to it.

There was a Puddin' Lanes at Mayfair.

When did they move Wedgewood to NW Expressway? Where was it?

Does anyone remember the Uptown Theater on N. Hudson?

bluedogok
07-02-2009, 09:07 PM
The hanger was torn down when Cooper built the new BMW shop in the early 90's. I think it may have been moved but I don't know where. The water tower was torn down in the late 80's.

Prunepicker
07-02-2009, 09:22 PM
The hanger was torn down when Cooper built the new BMW shop in the early
90's. I think it may have been moved but I don't know where. The water
tower was torn down in the late 80's.

I just remembered it being on the news in the 90's. It was taken apart
and moved. There was a lot of history about it.

Maybe Doug Loudenback can clue us in.

fromdust
07-03-2009, 05:05 PM
when i was a kid the friends and i would ride our bikes to rockwell and hefner? and hit this neat little bike trail with sweet jumps and such. its a grocery store now.

Steve
07-03-2009, 08:08 PM
Prunepicker, the hanger was dismantled and taken into storage for a potential recreation. I think OCU got custody of it.

Prunepicker
07-03-2009, 10:19 PM
Prunepicker, the hanger was dismantled and taken into storage for a potential
recreation. I think OCU got custody of it.

I'm glad to know that.

Stan Silliman
07-04-2009, 05:19 PM
I've got a few Northside memories.

I lived at 18th & Classen, 2 blocks east in an apartment with a communal bathroom and a pay telephone. Then at 20th & Penn where I shared a house with OCU basketball players Gary Duncan, Roy Johnston, and Roger Bickel. Roger and I then shared an apartment 3 blocks west of NW 10th and Classen. Then I lived at NW 30th and Villa in 1963 and got to watch Shepards Mall being constructed. The dust stirred up by the dirt movers was almost too much to bare. I shared that house with Gene Tsoodle and his cousin.

One day an Indian artist from Lawton came by to crash on the couch. While he was there I watched him paint eight watercolor paintings at once. He layed them all out on the living room carpet and sat in the center. Then he would dip his brush in the red and dab it on each of the eight paintings where he wanted the red. He did this with each color. Each painting was different. Then the next day he went out to the oil companies to sell his paintings.

While was at OCU I used to love eating at Tony's Via Roma. He made an mouthwatering Italian hamburger. This was the Tony's at 34th and N. May and I ate there so much I negotiated a script deal with him. I made up a little card with 30 $1 boxes that he could check whenever I ate there and then I paid him $ 22 in advance for $ 30 worth of food. If I ate $ 4.30 worth he'd check off 4 boxes and I paid him the 30 cents in change. I'd take dates there and we'd have great food and a great time for under $ 7.

metro
07-07-2009, 07:44 AM
Well I'm a young one but I can still remember:

* Sheperd Mall when it was still a mall
* TG&Y at Windsor Hills (windsor hills was the place to go for a movie back then too)
* Crystals Pizza
* Shotgun Sams
* Casa Bonita
* Big L lumberyards
* Putt-Putt Golf on NW 39th just east of Ann Arbor (next to where TFCU is now)
* Celebration Station when it opened
* Shoneys
* Mazzio's Pizza
* Godfather's Pizza
* Sledding down the hill at Eldon Lyon Park in Bethany

westsidesooner
07-07-2009, 07:53 AM
The hanger was torn down when Cooper built the new BMW shop in the early 90's. I think it may have been moved but I don't know where. The water tower was torn down in the late 80's.

I recently posted something about the hanger in the Wiley Post thread. If I'm not mistaken it was spposed to be reassembeled at Wiley Post and turned into an aviation museum. I remember the tower being knocked down too. Quiet the excitement for a kid. Seems like it took several days with the wrecking ball.

Another Northside memory I thought of the other day (being the 4th and all) was the year Bob Hope came to Stars and Stripes park for Independence day, if I remember right they had a fireworks display shot off form the park and people parked all around the lake to view it.....wish theyd do something like that again.

papaOU
07-07-2009, 03:18 PM
I recently posted something about the hanger in the Wiley Post thread. If I'm not mistaken it was spposed to be reassembeled at Wiley Post and turned into an aviation museum. I remember the tower being knocked down too. Quiet the excitement for a kid. Seems like it took several days with the wrecking ball.

Another Northside memory I thought of the other day (being the 4th and all) was the year Bob Hope came to Stars and Stripes park for Independence day, if I remember right they had a fireworks display shot off form the park and people parked all around the lake to view it.....wish theyd do something like that again.

Sorry to break the news,

BOB HOPE IS DEAD :tiphat:

westsidesooner
07-08-2009, 09:16 AM
I was referrng to shooting fireworks from the park, but what the hey. Since Bob is dead maybe they could bring him back for halloween instead. Much more appropriate.

http://www.x7og.net/images/smilies/thAnimatedZombie.gif

Centerback
07-08-2009, 02:11 PM
[QUOTE=MadMonk;217558]Here's a few.

Crossing 39th St to go to lunch at a little pizza place (can't remember the name right now)QUOTE]

Mr. Gatti's on 39th just down the way from Nip's Auto Trim (that was quite amusing in 7th grade)

I grew up near NW Hwy & Mac and remember riding my bike everywhere, including:

Woodlake Raquet Club for tennis and swimming

Treasury Drug, Furr's, the Library and the Movies at 63rd and Mac

There used to be a great BMX track where Twin Lakes is now

Spent a lot of time in and around the lake behind Joe's Crabshack well before Joe had crabs.

All over the Lyrewood area (where I would rather not even drive now)

Albertson's when there was a west side entry door

Dockum Pontiac across from the drive in, Service Merchandise

Painting the pylons at 50th and Meridian in high school

Hanging out at Cactus Jack's, Dolese Park and "the tables" at Lake Hefner

Buying beer at Duong Phong on 10th and Council

Cruising 39th street and Broadway in Edmond

Buying cassette tapes at Sound Warehouse on 39th and Mac

Buying a car stereo at Soundtrak on 63rd

Plauing volleyball on the sand bank of the North Canadian River near stinchcomb

Going to Cagle's fitness center on Wilshire there was a big night club near there we used to try to get into as well, not sure the name.

Crystal's Pizza, Shotgun Sam's, Casa Bonita, My Pie Pizza, Longneckers

Who had the kitchen sink dessert near NW Highway and 63rd?

I know there are a ton more but I have slept since then...

SoonerBent
07-09-2009, 11:04 AM
She's talking about a Mexican restaurant. Casa Bonita was something else.
They didn't even have onions. OY!

I'll never forget eating there once, it may have been the only time. There
was this Middle Easterner - probably an Iranian since it was in the early 70's -
singing Spanish Eyes on a Japanese guitar in what was mistaken to be a
Mexican restaurant. It was very educational. LOLThis must have been toward the end. I worked at Casa from 75 to 77. We had onions, lots of onions. I've chopped hundreds of onions and sliced hundreds of jalapeņos. We put them in tiny clear plastic bowls near the end of the serving line. And the singer at that time was as Mexican as they come and was one of the original employees, in fact he came up with most of the recipes. I heard that the last few years they really went down hill. Sad.

Many posts back there was talk of Shotgun Sam's. I lived a couple of blocks from there and spent a lot of time hanging out there. They had live music on weekends. After NWC football games it was usually packed. Around 74, 75 Vince Gill played with a typical high school-kids-garage band that played there. We all thought he was a big dork. Little did we know.

papaOU
07-09-2009, 02:57 PM
This must have been toward the end. I worked at Casa from 75 to 77. We had onions, lots of onions. I've chopped hundreds of onions and sliced hundreds of jalapeņos. We put them in tiny clear plastic bowls near the end of the serving line. And the singer at that time was as Mexican as they come and was one of the original employees, in fact he came up with most of the recipes. I heard that the last few years they really went down hill. Sad.

Many posts back there was talk of Shotgun Sam's. I lived a couple of blocks from there and spent a lot of time hanging out there. They had live music on weekends. After NWC football games it was usually packed. Around 74, 75 Vince Gill played with a typical high school-kids-garage band that played there. We all thought he was a big dork. Little did we know.

Now he is a rich big dork!!!!!!!!!!!

chembree
07-11-2009, 08:54 PM
Nip's Auto Trim (that was quite amusing in 7th grade)

Its quite amusing now! ..

I loved Cactus Jacks!

chembree
07-11-2009, 08:55 PM
"Nip's Auto Trim (that was quite amusing in 7th grade)"

I loved Cactus Jacks!

****Sorry Centerback, and everyone else - I tried to quote and messed up and then created a second post --- I dont post that often, so forgive me!****

papaOU
07-12-2009, 01:37 AM
"Nip's Auto Trim (that was quite amusing in 7th grade)"

I loved Cactus Jacks!

****Sorry Centerback, and everyone else - I tried to quote and messed up and then created a second post --- I dont post that often, so forgive me!****

Cactus Jacks! The former Sooner Broadcast System. A beer bar of the '70's.

There was a liquor bar on the north end of the building.

Prunepicker
07-12-2009, 12:15 PM
Cactus Jacks! The former Sooner Broadcast System. A beer bar of the '70's.

There was a liquor bar on the north end of the building.

That would have been the Jail West.

papaOU
07-12-2009, 05:00 PM
That would have been the Jail West.

After leaving there on Thanksgiving Eve 1975 I almost ended up in Jail Bethany. But instead, one of Bethany's Finest left me a memento of our meeting. 3 broken ribs.

Generals64
09-14-2009, 10:26 AM
It's strange we don't have any memories coming from the North Side....Maybe they are ashamed of them?????

Prunepicker
09-14-2009, 10:51 AM
It's strange we don't have any memories coming from the North Side... Maybe
they are ashamed of them?

Maybe they're in prison without Internet because they didn't learn how to
not get caught... as much!

bluedogok
09-14-2009, 02:37 PM
I think most of us have put them into the other remembrance threads...plus we may not have as many as some of you southsiders who are a wee bit older than us :poke:

mugofbeer
09-14-2009, 03:05 PM
Drexel Drug store and $25 cent ice cream. Holloways burgers on 23rd - best fries I ever had. Shotgun Sam's pizza. Riding the bus downtown when I was 8-10 years old to visit my grandparents in the Midwest building. Throwing paper airplanes out of the window on the 6th floor. Trying to get my grandmother to ride in the back of the bus and not understanding why not. Throwing snowballs at cars from behind the bridge embankments when they were building I-44 and blasting a police car before we realized what it was - running like a hive of hornets was after us when the cop stopped on the other side of the bridge.........

USG '60
09-14-2009, 08:48 PM
The theater was Lakeside. After it closed Sound Warehouse moved in. I
worked at Peaches for a little while. It was at 63rd & May where Akin's is
now.

The original restaurant on top of the Founder's Tower was the Chandelle
Club. In the 70's it changed to The Eagle's Nest.

And then it was DAX for a few years ....or am I all wet?

Prunepicker
09-14-2009, 09:08 PM
And then it was DAX for a few years... or am I all wet?
I don't remember DAX. It's been Nikz for years, i.e. 20 or so.

MadMonk
09-15-2009, 11:21 PM
Here's a few.

Crossing 39th St to go to lunch at a little pizza place (can't remember the name right now)

Mr. Gatti's on 39th just down the way from Nip's Auto Trim (that was quite amusing in 7th grade)

Thank you! That was the place. Good times...

Crystal's Pizza, Shotgun Sam's, Casa Bonita, My Pie Pizza, Longneckers

Who had the kitchen sink dessert near NW Highway and 63rd?

I know there are a ton more but I have slept since then...
Oh how I miss My Pi pizza. I worked there for a while and had the time of my life. 'nuff said.

Prunepicker
09-16-2009, 11:10 AM
QUICK's Drive-in!

Does anyone remember Lion's Share or Lionshare?
Buccaneers?
Lake Hefner Bait Shop?
Chi Chi's
Around the Corner

papaOU
09-16-2009, 11:39 AM
QUICK's Drive-in!

Does anyone remember Lion's Share or Lionshare?
Buccaneers?
Lake Hefner Bait Shop?
Chi Chi's
Around the Corner

I remember Chi Chi's very well. Had great food during happy hour. Don't think I ever ate a meal there.

Was the bait shop that rock building that was also a cafe? Now that place had a great breakfast.

bluedogok
09-16-2009, 07:21 PM
The Mr. Gatti's on 39th & Ann Arbor was an Across the Street before it was Mr. Gatti's.

papaOU
09-16-2009, 07:29 PM
The Mr. Gatti's on 39th & Ann Arbor was an Across the Street before it was Mr. Gatti's.

Not in the same area, but does anyone remember when Legends in Norman was an Across the Street?

Generals64
09-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Not in the same area, but does anyone remember when Legends in Norman was an Across the Street?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, that was along long time ago. Hal Smith was the manager there...you know, The Charleston's Hal Smith...Greaseball.....Just kidding .....great guy .. he even went to the right Highschool....U.S. Grant High School S. Penn OKC.
And he graduated the right year...1964 of course ......... Go Generals.....Se Habla Espanol....

Prunepicker
09-16-2009, 07:48 PM
Yes, that was along long time ago. Hal Smith was the manager there...

Didn't he play Otis Campbell on the Andy Griffith Show?

Generals64
09-16-2009, 07:53 PM
didn't he play otis campbell on the andy griffith show?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
probably:... He probably owns the movie set by now. Everything that guy touches turns to gold.....i keep trying to get him to rub up against me for "good luck".....he keeps telling me know as he knew me a long, long time ago in anothe galaxy (ardmore, okla.) and he said something like he wants to keep his wallet????don't understand....HE'S PROBABLY ONE OF THE BEST GUYS I KNOW. I'm sure he's a tough boss but, he's in a tough business....

zachtaylor alum
09-17-2009, 07:39 PM
Was that the tornado of '70? If so it knocked the tar out of the Dodge
dealership on 39th.

It also knocked out the sanctuary of Temple B'nai Israel (47th and Penn) and the gym and priest's house at McGuinness High. Whose God was angrier?:beaten_fi

mugofbeer
09-17-2009, 09:37 PM
What was the name of that huge, great seafood restaurant that was put in out somewhere around Kelly and Hefner - kind of out in the tower farm area? I remember it had a huge deck or glassed in area that looked over a lake with a fountain out in it. I havent been out there in years. Whats the place now?

bluedogok
09-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Joe Kelly's?
It is on Britton Road east of Broadway, it was an office when I worked down the street.

Prunepicker
09-18-2009, 01:13 PM
Joe Kelly's?
It is on Britton Road east of Broadway, it was an office when I worked down
the street.
There was a Joe Kelly's on the southside of town. I-240 and S. Pennsylvania.
They served a good Key Lime pie.
It's now an Olive Garden with a terrible waitstaff.

bluedogok
09-18-2009, 02:01 PM
The south location opened after the Britton Rd. location and closed before it. When I was at Benham in the late 80's (before moving to Dallas) it closed and there was a few different places that opened up in there before it finally was converted into offices in the 90's.

Those were part of the Kelly-Johnston restaurant group if I recall.

westsidesooner
09-18-2009, 02:11 PM
What was the name of that huge, great seafood restaurant that was put in out somewhere around Kelly and Hefner - kind of out in the tower farm area? I remember it had a huge deck or glassed in area that looked over a lake with a fountain out in it. I havent been out there in years. Whats the place now?

Ahh Joe Kellys...I've been trying to forget that place for years. Not that the food or service was bad, it was actually very good, its just that thats where one of my worst dates occured. I was sitting there trying to act all cool to impress my date and it was going great til our dinner came. I ordered lobster tail and while trying to release the meat from the shell I flung the shell nearly 10' towards the next table almost hitting an eldery woman. It's kinda funny now but I can assure you my face was probably as red as the lobste for the rest of the meal.

RealJimbo
09-18-2009, 02:46 PM
Hope I'm not repeating anything...too many pages to read.

Cruising on a Friday night -

Start at Quick's on Classen (the security cop rode a Yamaha 350 scrambler)
go to Hollie's, then to the Spot (southside) then back through Hollie's, then back to Quick's. Wish I had all that gasoline back.

Movies -

Hillcrest Drive-In on the south side
Will Rogers Theater on the north side
N. Penn Twin Drive-In on the norht side
Ritz Theater in Britton (it WAS a real town once)
Villa Theater on the north side (all first-run movies)

Swimming -

Twilight Beach on the north side
Elmwood on the south side
Springlake on the north side
Wedgewood on the north side

Dancing -

The Scene
Wedgewood's dance parties
What was the name of the dance club in Midwest City?

Food -
Sambo's on classen
Glen's Hickory Inn on NW 10th
Dolores on 23rd
Kip's Big Boy on N. May
Geno's on S. Agnew
Carnation Ice Cream on 23rd and Western
Billie Lee's Pies on 23rd around Shartel
Sussy's Pizza on Lincoln
89er Inn on Lincoln - they had a great restaurant
Governor's Club on Lincoln
Spit-T
Shipman's on S. Robinson - can't leave it out...the fried chicken, yeast biscuits and honey were awesome
Herman's Seafood on Classen
Der Dutchmann on NW Expwy

Clothing -

C.R. Anthony - all over the North Side
Mr. Buck's
Varsity Shop
Rothschild's
Napolean Nash
Kerr's

Drug Stores -

Hyde's Drug at 50th and N. Shartel - they had a lunch counter
Art's Drug Store on Western North of 68th
Conrad Marr in the Village
Katz in Mayfair

More later...

Generals64
09-18-2009, 02:50 PM
Hope I'm not repeating anything...too many pages to read.

Cruising on a Friday night -

go to Hollie's, then to the Spot (southside) then back through Hollie's, then back to Quick's. Wish I had all that gasoline back.

Movies -

Hillcrest Drive-In on the south side
Will Rogers Theater on the north side
N. Penn Twin Drive-In on the norht side
Ritz Theater in Britton (it WAS a real town once)
Villa Theater on the north side (all first-run movies)

Swimming -

Twilight Beach on the north side
Elmwood on the south side
Springlake on the north side
Wedgewood on the north side

Dancing -

The Scene
Wedgewood's dance parties
What was the name of the dance club in Midwest City?

Food -
Sambo's on classen
Glen's Hickory Inn on NW 10th
Dolores on 23rd
Kip's Big Boy on N. May
Geno's on S. Agnew
Carnation Ice Cream on 23rd and Western
Billie Lee's Pies on 23rd around Shartel
Sussy's Pizza on Lincoln
89er Inn on Lincoln - they had a great restaurant
Governor's Club on Lincoln
Spit-T
Shipman's on S. Robinson - can't leave it out...the fried chicken, yeast biscuits and honey were awesome
Herman's Seafood on Classen
Der Dutchmann on NW Expwy

Clothing -

C.R. Anthony - all over the North Side
Mr. Buck's
Varsity Shop
Rothschild's
Napolean Nash
Kerr's

Drug Stores -

Hyde's Drug at 50th and N. Shartel - they had a lunch counter
Art's Drug Store on Western North of 68th
Conrad Marr in the Village
Katz in Mayfair

More later...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
ALL great Places....All are closed. We were southsiders but we frequented most of the places you just named. About the time you were cruising though I was married.....Oh Well, they were great places anyways. The Glen's Parking sign is still there. I think I'm going to try and find out who is building the new strip center there and see if we can get it for the Historical group....
Hey, I saw one of the old TG&Y buyers yesterday at the Fair....

RealJimbo
09-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Just reviewed the whole thread and realized that I just repeated MYSELF! Well, I just gotta stop trying to work and do this at the same time. Can't chew gum and walk.

Quick on the draw there, Bob.

Prunepicker
09-18-2009, 03:57 PM
go to Hollie's, then to the Spot (southside) then back through Hollie's, then
back to Quick's. Wish I had all that gasoline back.
I guess you don't remember when Officer Rains got his Kawasaki Mark III!
We had just finished visiting with him, he was going home, and took off west
on N.W. 32nd (?) After he took off we never saw the front wheel hit the
ground!

I was a northside cruising southsider!

Prunepicker
09-18-2009, 03:59 PM
Just reviewed the whole thread and realized that I just repeated MYSELF!
Well, I just gotta stop trying to work and do this at the same time. Can't
chew gum and walk.

Quick on the draw there, Bob.
We don't mind. Once it changes to another page we'll all forget it and need a
refresher. But these are your memories and you might add a twist.

Prunepicker
09-18-2009, 04:00 PM
When did Dolores's close? I remember seeing a post card with the
restaurant. Wasn't it named after the owners daughter?

perrygreen
11-20-2009, 12:41 PM
I have a vague memory coming through from the mid to late 80's...63rd between Meridian and MacArthur, there was a little strip mall with a Hostess Bakery shop and a soccer store I think. For a short while, there was a little dirt track with jumps and stuff behind that strip center. This was all pretty close to Rollingwood Elementary.

Prunepicker
11-20-2009, 01:07 PM
I have a vague memory coming through from the mid to late 80's...63rd
between Meridian and MacArthur, there was a little strip mall with a Hostess
Bakery shop and a soccer store I think. For a short while, there was a little
dirt track with jumps and stuff behind that strip center. This was all pretty
close to Rollingwood Elementary.
It's still there. Just east of MacArthur. I think it's a Dolly Madison.

mugofbeer
11-20-2009, 04:47 PM
19th & Portland, there used to be a donut shop, a place where you could race slot cars and a place you could play ping pong.

bluedogok
11-20-2009, 07:41 PM
19th & Portland, there used to be a donut shop, a place where you could race slot cars and a place you could play ping pong.
Frankie's BIG Doughnut..still the best that I have had.

progressiveboy
11-20-2009, 08:15 PM
They still have the milk bottle on Classen. And that weird helmet shaped building on 30th (30th?). There was a hamburger place right next to it with something like 19 cent burgers. Or .25 - somthing like that.

I used to go with my best friend to wash her volkswagon at the carwash on Classen near thirtieth and we'd hit Baskin Robbins and Pizza Inn on that strip. I'd get a scoop of vanilla and daquairi [sic] Ice - when I was a kid I thought it had alcohol in it and that was my way of being bad.

Yeah, Shepherd Mall at Christmas - our chorus always performed.The hamburger shop your talking about was Quicks Hamburgers. It was on about 31st and Classen if I recall.

Prunepicker
11-20-2009, 08:35 PM
The hamburger shop your talking about was Quick's Hamburgers. It was on
about 31st and Classen if I recall.
You are correctomundo. Quick's was one of my fave hang outs.

Prunepicker
11-20-2009, 08:52 PM
Frankie's BIG Doughnut... still the best that I have had.
Was that on N.W. 19th & N. Portland?

bluedogok
11-21-2009, 07:16 AM
Yes, in the building on the northeast corner facing Portland a little down from the corner. They closed in the mid 80's when Frankie retired.

RealJimbo
12-11-2009, 01:22 PM
Old fashioned strip on NW 36th and Western. South end, Safeway then a little independent hardware store then a cleaners then T.G.&Y. then Humpty Dumpty on the north end. Now it is all Bruno's and the Cock O' The Walk is still right across the street where it always has been. We went there every Saturday. My folks would go in Humpty Dumpty to buy groceries (4 big sacks for $20) while we kids terrorized the T.G.&Y. next door. Can't tell you how many sacks of fresh hot redskin peanuts I ate there while I shopped for model cars, kites, pocket knives, etc. I just couldn't resist the smell of those fresh peanuts.

Generals64
12-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Old fashioned strip on NW 36th and Western. South end, Safeway then a little independent hardware store then a cleaners then T.G.&Y. then Humpty Dumpty on the north end. Now it is all Bruno's and the Cock O' The Walk is still right across the street where it always has been. We went there every Saturday. My folks would go in Humpty Dumpty to buy groceries (4 big sacks for $20) while we kids terrorized the T.G.&Y. next door. Can't tell you how many sacks of fresh hot redskin peanuts I ate there while I shopped for model cars, kites, pocket knives, etc. I just couldn't resist the smell of those fresh peanuts.

================================================== ==============
I can remember when they would cook those nuts and the Cashews....Would come in and work the candy counter just for "Free" Peanuts.....more than once....

RealJimbo
12-11-2009, 03:38 PM
That is still a soft spot for me...but it is getting harder and harder to find a place that serves nuts warm. (Now don't get ahead of me)

papaOU
12-11-2009, 03:45 PM
That is still a soft spot for me...but it is getting harder and harder to find a place that serves nuts warm. (Now don't get ahead of me)

I remember dad always getting them when we went to Sears. It seemed gigantic that candy and nut kiosk.