View Full Version : New Chik-Fil-A along I-240 in work?

Pages : [1] 2 3

SoonerDave
04-13-2009, 08:48 AM
Okay, need some info from Rumor Central...

Have heard that there is the possibility of a new Chik-Fil-A going into the I-240 corridor in southwest Oklahoma City....possibly near the 240 Penn Plaza...

Any info? Anyone? Anyone?

Martin
04-13-2009, 08:50 AM
i heard something similar... that it would be built where steak and ale used to be. nothing confirmed, just a rumor i heard. -M

Charlie40
04-13-2009, 10:09 AM
i heard something similar... that it would be built where steak and ale used to be. nothing confirmed, just a rumor i heard. -M

Oh no, I hope they don't tear down the old Steak and Ale for ti that building is historic almost to that site on I-240. I was hoping a new restaurant would move in and fix it up and keep the same building.

SouthsideSooner
04-13-2009, 10:18 AM
I hope so...

SoonerDave
04-13-2009, 12:24 PM
It would make sense to me, given the success of the new store in Moore, and I'm sure they'd like to get out of Crossroads. That Steak-n-Ale location would be a really good choice; hadn't thought of that spot.

SoonerDave
04-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Oh no, I hope they don't tear down the old Steak and Ale for ti that building is historic almost to that site on I-240. I was hoping a new restaurant would move in and fix it up and keep the same building.

Charlie, I'm as sentimental as the next guy, but that Steak-n-Ale isn't that historic. As the chain died, that building seemed to fall into worse and worse repair even while they were still open. Heck, I'd be more of an advocate for keeping those ol' A&W buildings up, because their profiles are unique even to this day.

The only OKC-area Steak-n-Ale building that has survived is the one on Meridian north of I-40, which has been converted into a far-east style restaurant and is barely recognizable. The S-n-A on NW Expy and May is long gone, as is the one formerly at Memorial and May..

-David

Charlie40
04-13-2009, 01:09 PM
Charlie, I'm as sentimental as the next guy, but that Steak-n-Ale isn't that historic. As the chain died, that building seemed to fall into worse and worse repair even while they were still open. Heck, I'd be more of an advocate for keeping those ol' A&W buildings up, because their profiles are unique even to this day.

The only OKC-area Steak-n-Ale building that has survived is the one on Meridian north of I-40, which has been converted into a far-east style restaurant and is barely recognizable. The S-n-A on NW Expy and May is long gone, as is the one formerly at Memorial and May..

-David

Yeah I know what you mean. It is just hard seeing a building torn down you grew up seing everyday almost.

sgt. pepper
04-13-2009, 01:31 PM
that building is historic almost to that site on I-240.
what's historic about it?

SoonerDave
04-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Yeah I know what you mean. It is just hard seeing a building torn down you grew up seing everyday almost.

I understand completely. One of my first "grown up" things to do was to attend a dinner event from my school at that Steak-n-Ale (which tells ya how old the place is..) so I've seen that building for 30-plus years. Heck, I worked at the ChiChi's that used to be where KrispyKreme now stands, so there's plenty of history for me there, too.

Anyway, nice to hear there's a chance for Chik-Fil-A closer to home than Moore :)

Charlie40
04-13-2009, 02:26 PM
I understand completely. One of my first "grown up" things to do was to attend a dinner event from my school at that Steak-n-Ale (which tells ya how old the place is..) so I've seen that building for 30-plus years. Heck, I worked at the ChiChi's that used to be where KrispyKreme now stands, so there's plenty of history for me there, too.

Anyway, nice to hear there's a chance for Chik-Fil-A closer to home than Moore :)

Hey I remember Chi CHi's also and was it Duff's where hometown is/was?

SoonerDave
04-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Yup. Duff's occupied the now-vacant building that Hometown used...

Charlie40
04-13-2009, 03:04 PM
I Miss that Hometown, have many fond memories of that place. me and my son played kick the catfish in there one time with a piece of fish that fell on the floor under our table.

old okie
04-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Could it be what is being developed by Office Depot?

Or maybe where the old Harrigan's was?

SoonerDave
04-13-2009, 07:23 PM
Could it be what is being developed by Office Depot?

Or maybe where the old Harrigan's was?

I'm not sure what's going in next to OD, but I'm pretty sure it isn't Chik-fil-A. Orignally, there was a website (http://www.okc2008.com) that discussed the property as being a bit of a "security stripmall" with some retailers focusing on personal/home security products. That website is now defunct.

I don't think anything is going on right now at the old Harrigan's site. Maybe someone could open a Harrigan's Cheese Rolls place :)

okyeah
04-13-2009, 08:29 PM
I was under the impression that they only build standalone Chik-Fil-A stores in the suburbs.

SoonerDave
04-13-2009, 09:27 PM
I was under the impression that they only build standalone Chik-Fil-A stores in the suburbs.

They build them just about everywhere these days...in pretty much the same spots you might find the traditional burgers-n-fries fast-food places. The first standalone Chik-fil-A in OK to my knowledge was in Edmond, but was actually built *years* ago.

I've been to standalone CFA's in Alabama and Georgia as well, right along highways and seen them near suburbs. I think they've just been very proactive (oh, man, I hate that word) in trying to stay ahead of the "unmall" trend...

SoonerDave
04-20-2009, 12:23 PM
Hey...got an update on this...

Talked to a local Chik-Fil-A manager last week and he confirmed that there is a new CFA going in along I-240. He was confident, but not certain, it was supposed to be at Western, which would be consistent with the Steak-n-Ale location.

Just thought I'd pass that along.

soonervegas
04-20-2009, 03:33 PM
I will be shocked if it is the Steak and Ale location that Chic Fil A takes.

On a side note...I am rooting for the Steak and Ale location to not be demolished. I am hoping it is renovated by another sit down restaurant.

linze
04-28-2009, 07:25 AM
Oh I hope it's not a rumor that would make it much easier to drive to then going to Moore.

Keeping my fingers crossed :)

GeneralOKC
04-28-2009, 01:31 PM
If you are a Chick-Fil-A fan go to youtube and search Tim Hawkins Chik Fil A song and get ready to roll on the floor laughing.

This guy is hilarious

oneforone
04-28-2009, 11:16 PM
I do not think it is the Steak & Ale location. My money is on the old Kettle/Ashley's site by Office Depot.

The pad site looks like it is being built as a fast food restaurant.

Martin
04-29-2009, 05:40 AM
while i wouldn't stake my life on the former steak-n-ale location i don't think it will be where kettle stood. the original plan was for that site to be a small strip center specializing in security goods. not sure if that has fallen through, but to me the concrete poured looks more in line with a small strip than it does a fast food restaurant.

-M

megax11
05-11-2009, 10:18 AM
So anyone got any new info about this?

I sincerely hope they build a stand alone unit on southside because we deserve a Chic-fil-A just like anyone else. Plus we have supported them in southside ever since they've been in the mall.

Everytime I drive by that area where Ashley's used to be, I envision if it could be the CFA, but seeing as how it looks like the drive thru on the east side of the foundation is very narrow, I am not getting my hopes up.

I would like to know if any new news on this has occured?

soonervegas
06-01-2009, 12:20 PM
I have confirmed that Chic Fil A has bought the old Steak and Ale location.

Charlie40
06-02-2009, 02:33 PM

Very sad news.

SoonerDave
06-03-2009, 10:36 PM
Charlie, why is it sad? I realize that Steak 'n' Ale has been around a long time, but I'd rather see something productive go in there rather than let the building just deteriorate and become an eyesore like the old Hometown Buffet site is rapidly becoming.

I mean, yeah, S&A was a nice place in its day, but it wasn't *that* special, was it?

phl1331
06-04-2009, 05:55 AM
I can confirm that Chick-fil-A bought both Steak & Ale and the old vet clinic right next door. They closed on the property last week and will begin construction July 1st. Look for it to open near year's end. On a side note, this deal had been in the works for a while, not due just to the Moore Chick-fil-A's success.

Charlie40
06-04-2009, 10:53 AM
I would rather them just preserve the building and leave them standing as it.

Thunder
06-04-2009, 11:56 AM
PHL, thx for mentioning the vet next door. I now remember the resturant that mom and I entered to try them out. Two bad things that we had noticed... Long line to wait on an available table and skyhigh prices on the menu. We left without giving them a chance. I'm amazed they went out of business, despite how busy they were.

megax11
06-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Excellent news. Good to see old structures unused, not just sitting around like 90% of southside OKC's plazas.

I am tired of seeing southside deteroate from these people who own plaza's that believe they don't need to fill them with anything other than a Bingo hall, to make them enough money to sit on.

I would like to see this grow, not stand still, unlike Moore/Norman/northside.

Good news... TEAR EM DOWN!!! Make room for the new.

Charlie40
06-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Tear them down my A**

megax11
06-04-2009, 07:43 PM
I wouldn't mind Crossroads being torn down, if no one will do anything to revive the mall.

I would love to see the whole crossroads area turned into a whole retail area, with nice restaurants, a movie theatre, and all kinds of cool stuff.

I just want to see southside thrive like Moore and other surrounding areas are.

I can't stand driving by the dodsons plaza and seeing half of it empty. Same with Almonte.

Charlie40
06-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Sadly those areas are not thriving anymore same with 59th street places that have been there for years are leaving, like the sonic,and Braums is moving to I-240 and Shields which I think is a very bad location for them but whatever.

Thunder
06-04-2009, 10:34 PM
megax11, did you know there is already 2 movie theaters in the area?

megax11
06-07-2009, 08:26 AM
Oh yeah, I know about the dollar theatre, and AMC (which used to be Regal.)

The thing is though, AMC isn't even trying to make the building look good, as their neon lights are missing bulbs, and the poster backlights all seem to be broken, or off track.

I mean the area around Crossroads needs a revival, and I am at the point now where my memories of the place don't matter, as long as the area survives and rejuvinates.

I don't want to lose a Best Buy, making the closest ones 10-15 minutes north of me, or 10-15 minutes south of me (northside and moore.)

I know about the Toys R Us superstore in Moore, but I also know that the southside TRU, as well as Norman one, aren't in trouble of closing just because of that, so that's a good thing.

However, the area just needs to be redone, and if closing Crossroads and building something else on that huge lot makes anything in the surrounding area better, then go for it. I will miss Crossroads, but man, I would rather see southside flourish and grow, then stand still with a whole bunch of empty buildings and plazas.

Thunder
06-07-2009, 01:26 PM
I don't want to lose a Best Buy, making the closest ones 10-15 minutes north of me, or 10-15 minutes south of me (northside and moore.)

There is one in MWC. Check it out. :kicking:

oneforone
06-07-2009, 03:22 PM
Your not going to see Crossroads demolished anytime in the forseeable future. Demolition is not going to be cheap for that mall because a large part of the mall is underground.

When you add the purchase price of the land and existing buildings, demolition, enviromental clean up, reworkinging the earth and building new structures your easily going to hit 15-30 million dollars. No developer is going to want spend that kind of money kind of money for that area.

The best thing the city and local business leaders could to do avoid the mall sitting as an empty shell is to give it a small facelift and turn into either convention/multi-purpose space, a school or a business park.

kevinpate
06-07-2009, 08:04 PM
If you are a Chick-Fil-A fan go to youtube and search Tim Hawkins Chik Fil A song and get ready to roll on the floor laughing.

This guy is hilarious

I did, and he was. But then I just cried. I was telling my 16 year old he needed to check out Hawkins, especially the parody using Yesterday.

He told me he'd never heard of the song.
<sobs>
I knew I wasn't really a most excellent poppa , but I dinna know I was a terrible poppa. What kind of poppa lets a child reach 16 without knowing Yesterday?
<sobs some more>

SoonerDave
06-07-2009, 11:25 PM
I've been told by more than one person that the Crossroads Best Buy will be moving to the now-vacated space formerly occupied by Circuit City at the I-240 Penn Plaza. The existing location is in the region covered by the pending I-240/I-35 interchange rebuild.

Charlie40, as far as the old Steak and Ale goes, I appreciate the sentiment, but I think they're about 10 years too late to preserve that building. If it hadn't been a chain, or had been more locally oriented like the former Glen's Hik-ry Inn of years past, I'd be more on your side, but I have to admit I'm glad to see it and that tacky old vet clinic go to make room for something new. Not saying Chick-fil-A is haute cuisine or anything, but new is new, and Chick-Fil-A will be a good resident of the area.

oneforone
06-08-2009, 10:13 AM
I've been told by more than one person that the Crossroads Best Buy will be moving to the now-vacated space formerly occupied by Circuit City at the I-240 Penn Plaza. The existing location is in the region covered by the pending I-240/I-35 interchange rebuild.

I kind of expected that happen eventutally. I would be suprised Best Buy adds new stores in Mustang, North Edmond and Shawnee. In a way Best Buy could make do with smalelr stores in OKC because their nearest distribution center is in Ardmore. I know I have heard through rumor control they are looking at moving the NW 59th and May store to a better location in the area.

There are a couple options in the area. They could demolish/remodel the old CC at NW Expressway and Portland or they could build it at NW Expressway and May after Smicklas moves to NW Expressway and Countyline.

soonervegas
06-09-2009, 02:59 PM
Charlie40, as far as the old Steak and Ale goes, I appreciate the sentiment, but I think they're about 10 years too late to preserve that building. If it hadn't been a chain, or had been more locally oriented like the former Glen's Hik-ry Inn of years past, I'd be more on your side, but I have to admit I'm glad to see it and that tacky old vet clinic go to make room for something new. Not saying Chick-fil-A is haute cuisine or anything, but new is new, and Chick-Fil-A will be a good resident of the area.

Your right. Steak and Ale was actually a good concept that was poorly managed and failed to prepare for a situation like the recent economic downturn. That was a plan that needed to be put in place 10-15 years ago and was not. The people in charge couldn't see past the money it made back then and it cost them down the road. Anyone who worked there could see this day coming way back then.....

SoonerDave
06-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Your right. Steak and Ale was actually a good concept that was poorly managed and failed to prepare for a situation like the recent economic downturn. That was a plan that needed to be put in place 10-15 years ago and was not. The people in charge couldn't see past the money it made back then and it cost them down the road. Anyone who worked there could see this day coming way back then.....

The disappointing thing is that Steak'n'Ale lost touch with its roots. I think it, at least in its prime, did a really nice job of pulling off what's hard - a mass-market upscale restaurant. Not the S&A of its last five years, but the one of, oh, about 20 years ago. It aspired to a quiet, upscale atmosphere, with above-average food, and did a pretty darned good job of pulling it off IMHO. You could tell, sadly, that slowly they started losing interest in quality control, atmosphere, all the things that made it a nice alternative, and eventually it just kinda deteriorated into irrelevance.

MonkeesFan
06-11-2009, 07:20 AM
I am glad that Steak and Ale will be gone, it has been a eyesore sitting there for years, it needs to be demolished and put in there something new and I am glad it's Chickfila since I live on South Western

Charlie40
06-11-2009, 12:57 PM
If I had the money I would have bought the lot and building and fixed it up and put a big fence around the property and preserved it.

SoonerDave
06-11-2009, 10:01 PM
If I had the money I would have bought the lot and building and fixed it up and put a big fence around the property and preserved it.

But for what purpose, Charlie? Just for the sake of memorialzing a dead restaurant chain?

I'm just not understanding what's special about the Steak'n'Ale building. Remember, too, that I'm not just some young snot saying to tear down everything; I understand the value of keeping some classic buildings around, but I just don't see how S-n-A qualifies. And building a fence around it just to preserve the building with nothing productive going on within is just a waste to everyone.

MonkeesFan
06-12-2009, 02:36 AM
But for what purpose, Charlie? Just for the sake of memorialzing a dead restaurant chain?

I'm just not understanding what's special about the Steak'n'Ale building. Remember, too, that I'm not just some young snot saying to tear down everything; I understand the value of keeping some classic buildings around, but I just don't see how S-n-A qualifies. And building a fence around it just to preserve the building with nothing productive going on within is just a waste to everyone.

Well said!

megax11
06-12-2009, 10:03 AM
My memories of Crossroads is something I will have to get over, seeing as the place is going downhill faster and faster.

I understand the area and surrounding areas can be rebuilt with better options for retail and whatnot, should Crossroads be tore down.

It is something I don't want to see, but I would rather see southside flourish, instead of having 90% empty buildings while the surrounding towns get all the good stuff.

phl1331
06-15-2009, 01:46 PM
After seeing that a new sign was put up in front of the vet clinic "Something Custom built homes" I checked with my source from Chick-fil-A and was told the the vet clinic was scratched last minute. However, aparently a new custom built homes has leased or bought that property. hopefully they will tear down the blue building and put a model home or two in the lot.

Martin
06-18-2009, 10:31 AM
another interesting point about that corridor... i understand that the sign is gone, the grass mowed and a big dumpster is sitting in front of the former buffet location. dunno if that means anything, but that's what i hear.

-M

SoonerDave
06-18-2009, 05:42 PM
another interesting point about that corridor... i understand that the sign is gone, the grass mowed and a big dumpster is sitting in front of the former buffet location. dunno if that means anything, but that's what i hear.

-M

Absolutely accurate, mmm. I drive by it every day and there is now steady activity there daily. It appears they are gutting the interior of the building. Heck, I was going to start a thread here asking if anyone knew what was going on. I wondered myself if perhaps Chick-Fil-A had bought *that* building rather than Steak-n-Ale; however, if they were planning to raze the structure, I doubt they'd invest much time trying to be too refined about what's done to the interior.....

mireaux
06-18-2009, 07:16 PM
Okay, need some info from Rumor Central...

Have heard that there is the possibility of a new Chik-Fil-A going into the I-240 corridor in southwest Oklahoma City....possibly near the 240 Penn Plaza...

Any info? Anyone? Anyone?

I think the trend is that Chick-Fila is getting out of indoor malls and establishing their own stores.

30 years from now, indoor shopping malls may not even exist...i mean, can you tell me anywhere in these 50 states where one of considerable size is even being built??

SoonerDave
06-21-2009, 06:42 AM
I think the trend is that Chick-Fila is getting out of indoor malls and establishing their own stores.

I think those of us who have been following Chick-Fil-A development in Moore, Midwest City, NW OKC, and other cities over the last several years have realized this for some time now......

JerzeeGrlinOKC
06-21-2009, 07:39 AM
I hate to ask all you devoted Chik-Fil-A followers here, but...what makes this place so magical? Is it the food itself? Is it the way the store is run?

Even though I don't usually go to chains, I really did used to love them (probably because they had some good items for weight watchers - 5 point grilled chicken sandwich and a fruit cup!) and I've been back recently and have just been, well, greatly disappointed. I dunno.

Oh well to each their own, right...

mireaux
06-21-2009, 07:58 AM
I think those of us who have been following Chick-Fil-A development in Moore, Midwest City, NW OKC, and other cities over the last several years have realized this for some time now......

you should work alongside CF's corportate division, help them decide where to build each new store.

mireaux
06-21-2009, 08:06 AM
I hate to ask all you devoted Chik-Fil-A followers here, but...what makes this place so magical? Is it the food itself? Is it the way the store is run?

Even though I don't usually go to chains, I really did used to love them (probably because they had some good items for weight watchers - 5 point grilled chicken sandwich and a fruit cup!) and I've been back recently and have just been, well, greatly disappointed. I dunno.

Its not that Chick-Fila is magical, is that its rare to the greater OKC area. If there were plans to build EIGHT new Cucina Bravo Italian restaurants across the OKC metro area..you can bet it would be tracked as well. Establishments that are more commonplace to the greater OKC area as less likely to be closely tracked as much: 7-11, McDonalds, Braums, Sonic, etc.

This site is entitled "OKCtalk", and as such its a forum to discuss events that pertain to all aspects of life within the city. News and/or events that enhance or detract from that overall aspect of life within the city are the highlights of discussion here.

So, the news of construction ground breaking, renovations, corporate expansions, closures, and other pertaining aspects are all the buzz for discussion here.

JerzeeGrlinOKC
06-21-2009, 10:38 AM
Its not that Chick-Fila is magical, is that its rare to the greater OKC area. If there were plans to build EIGHT new Cucina Bravo Italian restaurants across the OKC metro area..you can bet it would be tracked as well. Establishments that are more commonplace to the greater OKC area as less likely to be closely tracked as much: 7-11, McDonalds, Braums, Sonic, etc.

This site is entitled "OKCtalk", and as such its a forum to discuss events that pertain to all aspects of life within the city. News and/or events that enhance or detract from that overall aspect of life within the city are the highlights of discussion here.

So, the news of construction ground breaking, renovations, corporate expansions, closures, and other pertaining aspects are all the buzz for discussion here.

Ok, well, uh, thank you for informing me....

I guess its sort of like Sonic hype on the east and west coasts, there are so few of them people get their shorts in a wad when one opens up, buts its <shrug> around here. If you sit back and look at it the food is not that great, but I can see someone getting excited about something new, I suppose. When the Cheesecake Factory opened up here we were all excited, then we went and that excitement died down mighty quickly...oh well.

okyeah
06-21-2009, 02:07 PM

You should try their chicken nuggets. That's the only thing I really like. Their salads are okay.

mireaux
06-21-2009, 03:09 PM
Ok, well, uh, thank you for informing me....

I guess its sort of like Sonic hype on the east and west coasts, there are so few of them people get their shorts in a wad when one opens up, buts its <shrug> around here. ,.

yup, youre catching on. speaking of sonic, few folks around would be surprised to know that sonics exists as far as places like surprise, az..gallup, nm,.and pennsylvania.

to these folks, sonic may be the cats meow..but to your average okie...its just standard fare.

"one man's stone is another man's jewel"

mireaux
06-22-2009, 05:32 AM

maybe they can start a new chain of restaurants called, Chicken and Ale. :bright_id

Thunder
06-22-2009, 10:08 AM
maybe they can start a new chain of restaurants called, Chicken and Ale. :bright_id

Chic Fil a should sell Romulan Ale! :woowoo: