View Full Version : panhandlers!

Pages : [1] 2 3

GuyB
04-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Any one noticed we have abundance of panhandlers lately?
We have always had them to a certain degree but lately I see them on every street corner.

fourthworldtraffic
04-10-2009, 03:47 PM
I think they must be the wall street crowd arriving at long last. They must have heard it was cheaper to be broke here. Don't give them any money,it encourages them.

FRISKY
04-10-2009, 04:14 PM
Don't give them any money; it encourages them.Bingo!

BBatesokc
04-10-2009, 05:28 PM
I have a habit of taking photos of odd things I see.

Some of my favorites are of panhandlers.

Here's one I thought was being creative...

Brian Bates's Photos | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30138156&l=fe70d87984&id=1283820411)

Or, this guy...

Brian Bates's Photos | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=30138157&l=896deed047&id=1283820411)

PennyQuilts
04-10-2009, 05:35 PM
OMG - I'm not sure, but that second guy looks like my brother!

GWB
04-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Here's a guy taking a break after a hard days "work". I think he's checking his stock portfolio.

Things that Matter Blog Archive Homeless Man Goes Online (http://www.wikimaniacs.com/homeless-man-goes-online/)

GuyB
04-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Here's a guy taking a break after a hard days "work". I think he's checking his stock portfolio.

Things that Matter Blog Archive Homeless Man Goes Online (http://www.wikimaniacs.com/homeless-man-goes-online/)
Good on GWB!

I have seen them as young as 20 I guess every one is jumping on the bandwagon

bristolscene
04-10-2009, 08:22 PM
I always thought it was ironic that the two posessions homeless people never are short on are 1)cardboard and 2)permanent markers. :)

Stan Silliman
04-10-2009, 08:26 PM
I always thought it was ironic that the two posessions homeless people never are short on are 1)cardboard and 2)permanent markers. :)

"From my cold dead hands before I give up my Sharpie."

Stan Silliman
04-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Of course by now, everyone knows that the "WILL WORK FOR FOOD" signs were pioneered right here in Oklahoma at my old school - Panhandle A & M.

Thunder
04-10-2009, 10:02 PM
People should not be giving them money. The city need an action plan to round up these people, put them in shared homes, some sort of plans to get their life back together.

The people that really need the money are those that work at minimum wage at places such as resturants and grocery stores. Most of the people don't get a raise for a very long time and they rely on tips to make ends meet. I know that I do and I'm very thankful and graceful for those that tipped.

bristolscene
04-10-2009, 10:06 PM
The city need an action plan to round up these people, put them in shared homes, some sort of plans to get their life back together.

The Homeless Alliance has the "Real Change Not Spare Change" program. You can buy little booklets of "real change" vouchers to give to those in need instead of money. They are bus vouchers that are only valid to go to shelters and homeless services.

http://www.homelessalliance.org/realchange.htm

However, sometimes if I'm downtown and I don't have any vouchers on me, I'll give them a buck. I know I won't spend it any wiser than they will. Better to err on the side of generosity, I think.

Thunder
04-10-2009, 10:56 PM
I'm tallking about serious plans. I want the city to actively go out there, round up these people on buses and put them somewhere to get their life back on track.

I've seen a story about this on the news last year, these kind of people are making thousands each month!!! I wouldn't be surprised if they're living in a nearby hotel. To them, they think this is easy money to just stand/sit looking like a bum, rake in all that money, then go to their luxurious home every night.

BailJumper
04-11-2009, 03:38 AM
I want the city to actively go out there, round up these people on buses and put them somewhere to get their life back on track.

What country do you think you are living in?

And when the bus stops at this "life back on track" mecca and they decide to start walking right back to where they came from - what then? Shoot them on sight?

Lauri101
04-11-2009, 05:14 AM
Sadly, some of these folks are soldiers/veterans who, for whatever reason, have been unable to find a job or get their life together after being discharged after serving their country.

It is a disgrace that we (as a country) treat our servicemen and women in this manner. The phenomonen is not age-related, either - we have Vietnam, Gulf War I and Iraq/Afghanistan veterans surviving on the street.

The solution? Bailjumper is correct - we cannot round them up and take them somewhere - extreme rendition is not an option. Funding VA, government partnering with non-profits, volunteers from active duty units - all methods can help get these guys (and women) back on their feet and off the street.
In the meantime - buy them a sandwich or a cup of coffee. If they are engaging in criminal behavior - call the police.

PennyQuilts
04-11-2009, 05:16 AM
There is a panhandler near where my husband works. He has been there for at least ten years and he also has a place a few metro stops away where he goes during the lunch hour. The guy has a band and a big screen tv and takes "vacations." A bum on vacation! Husband has heard him talking about it to his buddies. The bum started showing up in a wheelchair by his office, last week, but husband saw him at his lunch gig fit as a fiddle. He is just an operator. But it is working for him.

oneforone
04-11-2009, 08:31 AM
The majority of panhandlers are not homeless. Most have a place to live, own or have access to a vehicle and have plenty to eat. Constitutional Law has created a loop hole that allows the people to do what they do.

This problem could very easily be eliminated by requiring police to report to the IRS on anyone who has been sighted for panhandling on multiple occasions.

svetlanaboginskaya
04-11-2009, 08:48 AM
The majority of panhandlers are not homeless. Most have a place to live, own or have access to a vehicle and have plenty to eat. Constitutional Law has created a loop hole that allows the people to do what they do.

This problem could very easily be eliminated by requiring police to report to the IRS on anyone who has been sighted for panhandling on multiple occasions.

I can speak from first hand experience and say without hesitation.......The IRS is not going to send agents out to audit these people, talk about a public relations nightmare. Besides, that isn't a wise allocation of resources. I can assure you that there are enough people making hundreds of thousands of dollars in OKC that need much more attention from the IRS.

FRISKY
04-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Doesn't OKC require and charge for a "Panhandling" permit?

Thunder
04-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Yeah, a permit is required. Why don't we all start asking to see their permit. If they can't show, then drive away and pull over somewhere to call the police.

Bunty
04-11-2009, 01:51 PM
Any one noticed we have abundance of panhandlers lately?
We have always had them to a certain degree but lately I see them on every street corner.

It would be interesting to see where panhandlers go to spend their money since I wonder how often it is to spend it on beer or other alcoholic drink.

MikeOKC
04-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Neglected veterans, the mentally ill (many schizophrenics), there are lots of reasons many of those people are on the streets. Some here seem to buy into the belief that the majority make lots of money and they're doing this because it's somehow easy. Just look at those people, they need help. European cities are light years ahead of us in dealing with the mentally ill who have nowhere to turn.

On several occasions I have bought lunch for some of these people. Instead of giving them money, I'll pull through McDonald's or something and hand them a sack of burgers, fries and a drink. I've had some of these people CRY. Nobody cares about them, as many posts here show.

PennyQuilts
04-11-2009, 03:17 PM
Neglected veterans, the mentally ill (many schizophrenics), there are lots of reasons many of those people are on the streets. Some here seem to buy into the belief that the majority make lots of money and they're doing this because it's somehow easy. Just look at those people, they need help. European cities are light years ahead of us in dealing with the mentally ill who have nowhere to turn.

On several occasions I have bought lunch for some of these people. Instead of giving them money, I'll pull through McDonald's or something and hand them a sack of burgers, fries and a drink. I've had some of these people CRY. Nobody cares about them, as many posts here show.

You're right, nobody cares about these people the way you do. Too bad the rest of us aren't as compassionate and giving as you. The world would be a better place. If only we were more like Europe.

GuyB
04-11-2009, 03:21 PM
It would be interesting to see where panhandlers go to spend their money since I wonder how often it is to spend it on beer or other alcoholic drink.

I'm sure the vast majority of them do I have been trying to find statistics online on how much the average panhandlers makes a day so far most are saying between 150 a day to 300 or more.
Obviously the more liberal the area is the more they make.
Does any one know of a reliable source to go by?

PennyQuilts
04-11-2009, 03:38 PM
The clientele that I deal with who are so messed up that they can't hold a job would not be able to beg, either. Getting to the begging place and frequently standing out there for hours is simply not possible for them. To do that for more than a few days at a time is not something I see any of them being capable of doing. We all know about the mentally ill who wander the streets pushing their shopping carts - poor souls. Those aren't the ones standing on the corner with a sign. Their thoughts are so disorganized that they simply couldn't do it.

bornhere
04-11-2009, 04:24 PM
The clientele that I deal with who are so messed up that they can't hold a job would not be able to beg, either. Getting to the begging place and frequently standing out there for hours is simply not possible for them. To do that for more than a few days at a time is not something I see any of them being capable of doing. We all know about the mentally ill who wander the streets pushing their shopping carts - poor souls. Those aren't the ones standing on the corner with a sign. Their thougths are so disorganized that they simply couldn't do it.

Panhandlers are, for the most part, professionals. This is what they do for a living. Some of them work harder than they would in some office jobs.

I very rarely give to panhandlers. I have a choice to patronize or not patronize any business or type of business, and I choose not to patronize this type of business.

ddavidson8
04-11-2009, 05:26 PM
What country do you think you are living in?

And when the bus stops at this "life back on track" mecca and they decide to start walking right back to where they came from - what then? Shoot them on sight?

We live in the Obamanation.

Stan Silliman
04-11-2009, 08:54 PM
We should at least require they dress up. Our city deserves a better class of panhandler.

Karried
04-11-2009, 10:08 PM
You're right, nobody cares about these people the way you do.

That's not true. I care and many other people care. Thank you Mike.

Lauri101
04-12-2009, 04:28 AM
That's not true. I care and many other people care. Thank you Mike.

:congrats:
Thank you Mike and Karried

Of course there are people out there who are scammers and want something for nothing - that's not limited to panhandlers and beggers - look at Madoff.

And, as a side note about IRS - we can't even get audits done on the people who owe way more than a few panhandlers make. Also, local police and IRS do NOT share information. IRS shares with no one.

No matter what their situation, though, they are still human beings. As Mike said - a sack of burgers can go a long way. Get a foot long Subway or Quiznos sandwich, packaged separately, and hand the other half away. Or, do nothing at all - it's a free country.

I'm not even a Christian, but "Whatsoever you do for the least of these..." sounds familar

PennyQuilts
04-12-2009, 07:27 AM
I can't imagine going online - or in person - to brag about what I do for the poor, especially while pointing fingers at other people at the same time.

Lauri101
04-12-2009, 09:39 AM
I didn't think the topic was so contraversial.

How is expressing one's belief/action about doing something for a "panhandler" any different from stating what one does for homeless animals? Mentally ill clients? The poor? The unchurched? Anything else that people talk about on this forum?

If the statements made by Mike - or me - were bragging about what we do, then every regular poster has "bragged" at some point in time. And who pointed fingers?
ECO - your anger is evident in your statement, which is uncharacteristic of your posts.
:dontgetit

PennyQuilts
04-12-2009, 12:38 PM
I didn't think the topic was so contraversial.

How is expressing one's belief/action about doing something for a "panhandler" any different from stating what one does for homeless animals? Mentally ill clients? The poor? The unchurched? Anything else that people talk about on this forum?

If the statements made by Mike - or me - were bragging about what we do, then every regular poster has "bragged" at some point in time. And who pointed fingers?
ECO - your anger is evident in your statement, which is uncharacteristic of your posts.
:dontgetit

Braggarts irritate me. They always want credit for anything they do and most of the time it is just as much an exercise in putting other people down because they disagree with their ideology than anything else. So long as someone gives lip service to being warm and fuzzy, they get applause. That is fine as far as it goes and good for them but these happy meal buyers always want to follow up with criticizing others who aren't so darn pure.

It is one thing to describe what you see. It is another thing to make sure people know what a good person you are and point out how other people aren't so nice. I was taught that the only good deeds you get credit for are the ones you don't tell anyone about. I write a lot about what I see in my work but it sure isn't to brag. It is to point out the reality of what is out there to counter the disneyland version so many people decribe based on nothing more than their world view from their own front window. I'm a minor cog in a wheel and the heavy lifting is being done by people you never hear about and who certainly wouldn't brag about doing something like buy some guy a happy meal - nor would they think that gives them the moral high ground to shake fingers at people who are skeptical of human nature. Have you noticed that the most vocal people aren't the ones in the trenches? It tends to be people who just assume that anyone who is skeptical is heartless. The ones in the trenches will break their hearts for the ones they can but are well aware that the shadow world is full of prey AND predators.

Bunty
04-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Panhandlers are, for the most part, professionals. This is what they do for a living. Some of them work harder than they would in some office jobs.

I very rarely give to panhandlers. I have a choice to patronize or not patronize any business or type of business, and I choose not to patronize this type of business.

Would you much rather have them work for a hand out in the streets by squeegeeing your car while stopped at a red light?

PennyQuilts
04-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Would you much rather have them work for a hand out in the streets by squeegeeing your car while stopped at a red light?

Neither. And most of us don't want to be blackmailed into thinking those are our only choices.

Fact is, most of us are aware that the squeegee guys are sort of scary operators and we give them money to get them to leave us alone. The guys begging on the side of the road are the ones that make us wonder if they are really in need or just operating.

BailJumper
04-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Some of you people never cease to crack me up.

While I'm sure many do live in hotels, I seriously doubt any are going home to their brick and mortar house of their own. Many of Oklahoma's poor or "homeless" live in motels. Not because they are living large, but because they can't seem to ever scrape up enough money all at once for a deposit, etc. for a real home. They make $50 and they spend $50.

As for a permit. Actually, you don't need a permit in OKC to beg for food. I called the city and they said it is everyone's right to be able to beg for food. However, if you are going to advertise "Will WORK for food/money, etc." then the city tells me you do indeed need a permit.

In OKC I highly doubt a panhandler averages more than $20-$60 a day.

Seriously? You really need someone else to answer that question for you? It goes to buy food, alcohol, drugs, and a hotel room. For some it buys gas if they have a car and minutes for their phone if they have one of those. These people are not leaving to go ride their jet ski's, take vacations, or eat at Red Prime.

Call the IRS? Riiigggght.

Personally, I have little to no sympathy for panhandlers. There truly is no need for them.

If they need food there are dozens of places who provide meals for free. If they need a place to stay we have free shelters. Travelers Aid can help people stranded that are passing through. Heck, several churches even have free prescriptions. Somebody tell me why we should tolerate or be sympathetic towards them.

Something I do support is what you find in other cities, and that is designated places where people needing day labor work can gather and people needing workers can go get them. As far as I know that does not exist in OKC. I'd give a down on his luck man/woman a day job helping me out if they are truly willing to work.

MikeOKC
04-12-2009, 02:47 PM
Braggarts irritate me. They always want credit for anything they do and most of the time it is just as much an exercise in putting other people down because they disagree with their ideology than anything else.

Odd.

Is this possibly written by the same person who constantly reminds us of her rags to riches story? She acts like she wrote the book on pulling yourself up on your own bootstraps. But braggarts irritate her especially when it's tied to their ideology? Mirror: Meet ECO.

BBatesokc
04-12-2009, 02:57 PM
All I can say is that I served meals for several years at the downtown Baptist mission and saw many different definitions of homelessness and its victims.

Many were simply mentally ill and really have no other option, some were families having hard times and their homelessness was temporary, some were local working poor, but by and large I noticed lots of thugs and drug/alcohol addicts.

I do agree with Bailjumper on at least one point, and that is that I think we offer enough services that panhandling should not be allowed.

oneforone
04-12-2009, 03:35 PM
I support providing services that help those that are poor. However, what I'm against is people that take advatage of the kindess of others. Panhandlers do just that. Most are junkies and people who are just too lazy to find a regular job like the rest of us. They do not have mental health issues nor are vets or belong to some other sympathy deserving group.

I personally have observed several being picked by people in nice cars as if they were getting picked up from work. I have friends and neighbors who offered these people work and each time the person never showed up or declined do the work.

Check this out.

YouTube - Panhandler scammer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krg5r6n0kr4)

If you truly want to help the needy here is what you do. Buy these vouchers from Homless Alliance and give them to the panhandlers.

or

Take the spare cash you nomrally give to panhanlers and donate to the Jesus House, the City Rescue Mission or any other homeless organization.

Jesus House in OKC (http://jesushouseokc.org/donate.html)

City Rescue Mission Donation Information Page (http://www.cityrescue.org/donation-information-page.html)

PennyQuilts
04-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Odd.

Is this possibly written by the same person who constantly reminds us of her rags to riches story? She acts like she wrote the book on pulling yourself up on your own bootstraps. But braggarts irritate her especially when it's tied to their ideology? Mirror: Meet ECO.

That is not bragging. It is the basis for my insistence that you can't get out of a lifestyle hole if you won't work (assuming you can work). It is like giving a basic recipe for cake - not bragging about how it tastes. Just what do you think would have happened to me and my kids if I had sat around waiting for someone to throw me some bread? The same thing that happens to anyone who has kids they can't afford and then sits around waiting for someone to toss them some bread.

PennyQuilts
04-12-2009, 03:39 PM
All I can say is that I served meals for several years at the downtown Baptist mission and saw many different definitions of homelessness and its victims.

Many were simply mentally ill and really have no other option, some were families having hard times and their homelessness was temporary, some were local working poor, but by and large I noticed lots of thugs and drug/alcohol addicts.

I do agree with Bailjumper on at least one point, and that is that I think we offer enough services that panhandling should not be allowed.

And really, that was my suspicion, as well. The mentally ill ones are simply not going to be able to stand on the street corner and beg. The ones with significant substance abuse problems won't do it for any length of time. The shelters are an absolute godsend for those poor souls. And god bless you for helping out at the mission.

Prunepicker
04-12-2009, 09:18 PM
Nobody has mentioned how the panhandlers used to hold up a sign that said,
"Will Work for Food". When they were offered the opportunity to work for
food, they wouldn't take it.

Does anybody know why they'd turn down what they were asking for?

Karried
04-12-2009, 09:55 PM

I'll take a guess ... maybe missing a few limbs or sitting in a wheelchair?

Yeah, some people might abuse the system and that really stinks but some other people might really be down on their luck and need a helping hand... and who really knows if a ' purchased meal' might make the difference between starving or not? Just the idea that someone actually cares enough to want to give someone a meal can make a huge difference in someone's life.

Consider yourself lucky if you've never been in this position but please don't discourage those who might want to help those less fortunate.. no one can know what is actually transpiring in each individual's life.

Nevermind.. I'll stop now because I can't say what I really want to say anyway.

Stan Silliman
04-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Nobody has mentioned how the panhandlers used to hold up a sign that said,
"Will Work for Food". When they were offered the opportunity to work for
food, they wouldn't take it.

Less people would give if the sign said "Will Work for Wine"

Prunepicker
04-12-2009, 10:11 PM
I'll take a guess... maybe missing a few limbs or sitting
in a wheelchair?

I don't ever remember seeing any panhandlers described like that, during the
will work for food era. A News station (KWTV?) did a report on these poor
victims. None if them took any work offered. No they didn't approach them
with cameras reeling away.

The reason they wouldn't take the job was obvious. They made too much
money to leave their perch for a few dollars or a bag of groceries.

I encourage those of you who are truly concerned about these poor souls
make them an good offer and see if they'll leave their perch. If they don't
you may have learned a valuable lesson. If they do, then you did a good
thing. How can you lose?

By the way, I have a bag I give to them, only once. No money!

PennyQuilts
04-13-2009, 06:05 AM
I'll take a guess ... maybe missing a few limbs or sitting in a wheelchair?

Yeah, some people might abuse the system and that really stinks but some other people might really be down on their luck and need a helping hand... and who really knows if a ' purchased meal' might make the difference between starving or not? Just the idea that someone actually cares enough to want to give someone a meal can make a huge difference in someone's life.

Consider yourself lucky if you've never been in this position but please don't discourage those who might want to help those less fortunate.. no one can know what is actually transpiring in each individual's life.

Nevermind.. I'll stop now because I can't say what I really want to say anyway.

Genuinely disabled people are entitled to SSI and government assistance including housing. Vets have other resources. Standing out on the street corner is not abusing the system because they are acting outside the system. Someone who stops to assist them might want to ask why they aren't within the system or why their families aren't helping them.

BailJumper
04-13-2009, 06:15 AM
Yeah, some people might abuse the system and that really stinks but some other people might really be down on their luck and need a helping hand... and who really knows if a ' purchased meal' might make the difference between starving or not?

All I can say is these (more often than not) scumbags count on bleeding hearts like yourself. "starve"? Give me a break. Our city gives out free meals like they waste our tax dollars.

Its quite simple, they say "food" so you'll give in an become their sucker - they won't actually work because their intention was never to work.

One of the news stations did a story awhile back on how one homeless man alone had cost tax payers over $1-million just from his constant calling of 911, hospital transports and stays and daily arrests.

The individuals who fit your description of the down and out just needing a helping hand and to know someone cares - those people are the ones actually getting the help at the City Rescue Mission - why? Because for honest people it makes since and there is too much shame in begging on the street corner (as it should be).

As for those goofy coupons you can buy. Please, that's all PR and make yourself feel good. I'd love to see some TV station ask the city how many of these bus coupons have been sold compared to how many have been redeemed.

warreng88
04-13-2009, 07:54 AM
I used to bartend at Belle Isle Brewery and on my way to work at NW Expressway and Penn facing the west was a panhandler in a hat that I have seen many times. One day while at work, he came into the bar and got a Ribeye, full baked potato and a beer. The total (because we were running a special) was $15-$16 and he left $20 that included tip. I know, "at least he was buying food," but he could have taken that money to get groceries or something better.

My brother said the only person he has ever given money to was a guy that had a sign that said, "Why lie? I need a beer." He said he pulled over and gave him $5 and said, "At least you are honest."

Karried
04-13-2009, 11:39 AM
I just love all of the 'anonymous' sources regarding how well off these panhandlers really are.

I'm not sure why all of you aren't on the corner with a sign? You could buy yourself a Lexus and have a mansion, right?

And, thank you, I'll take the label bleeding heart any day. Compared to the alternative, I'm glad to have compassion and empathy for others. I'm teaching my kids to have the same traits. And nothing I read on this Oklahoma (home of the friendliest people in the nation) message board will change my mind.

SoonerDave
04-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Unfortunately, the compassionate part of me has been tempered with the part of me that lives in reality.

One group of folks working along I-240 some time ago were approached by some friends of mine who had arranged for some simple day-labor work for them. Nothing fancy, nothing life-changing, but a real job, with real wages. It was thought of as something more useful than a quick handout.

The people they approached laughed in their face.

The answer was, paraphrased, "Why on earth should I work for a few bucks an hour when I can stand here and make hundreds a day in cash tax-free?"

They discovered the people working the corner(s) were coordinated and scheduled, never becoming too "recognizable" over any one period of time. It was not nearly as ad-hoc as you might otherwise be led to believe.

It was all disheartening and disillusioning for the people who really thought they were helping link someone to an opportunity to work.

Now, before someone else says it, this doesn't mean that all panhandlers are scammers, or that they're all trying to beat the system, but it does remind me of just a year or two ago when a local TV station did a story on the panhandling trade...and found out almost precisely the same thing. Not interested in working. Looking for cash.

So for those folks who might be in a position to help someone, but find themselves hesitant to do so for the examples offered above, I'm willing to give them a break.

BBatesokc
04-13-2009, 01:02 PM
Take your pick folks. Don't use one brush to paint them all.

YouTube - Panhandler scammer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krg5r6n0kr4)

YouTube - "A real life Panhandler." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhzwB-3Zg0Y)

julieriggs
04-13-2009, 01:03 PM
Pimp This Bum! (http://www.pimpthisbum.com)

A couple of documentary film makers decided to "adopt" a bum as a social experiment. Their enthusiastic volunteer Tim is actually from Midwest City. Watch the videos... fascinating!

I think all of your opinions are partially correct... some are scam artists, some are mentally ill, many are drug addicts. The only real solution is for them to learn to help themselves. In the meantime, we can feed the hungry, clothe the naked, and care for the sick. It won't fix the problem. The poor will always be with us.

BBatesokc
04-13-2009, 01:16 PM
I did this interview with a local homeless man right before thanksgiving a few years ago...

YouTube - Interview with Larry (Homeless in OKC) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT4OlFFgV54&feature=channel_page)

I've actually interviewed about 15 homeless people, just not sure what to do with the interviews. I stayed in a homeless camp near the old downtown airport for few days once, to get a feel for it.

Prunepicker
04-13-2009, 01:21 PM
I just love all of the 'anonymous' sources regarding
how well off these panhandlers really are.

My sources are local news and doing the unthinkable. Asking if they'd like
to work.

I've NEVER EVER had anyone leave their perch. I suggest you try it instead
of complaining about real experiences. You'll be shocked.

I double dog dare you to try and help one of them off of their perch.

BailJumper
04-13-2009, 01:31 PM
And, thank you, I'll take the label bleeding heart any day. Compared to the alternative, I'm glad to have compassion and empathy for others. I'm teaching my kids to have the same traits.

Actually, its more than being a bleeding heart - its being an enabler. They might as well walk them into a bar and buy them a shot of whiskey. Oh, wait, that wouldn't pacify ones conscious would it?

bretthexum
04-13-2009, 01:35 PM
I'll give them food, but I won't give them any money. And for all the tax free making hundreds a day nonsense - give me a break. What a glamorous life that is... standing on a streetcorner in the rain/snow/cold begging for money and food.

metro
04-13-2009, 01:45 PM
The Homeless Alliance has the "Real Change Not Spare Change" program. You can buy little booklets of "real change" vouchers to give to those in need instead of money. They are bus vouchers that are only valid to go to shelters and homeless services.

However, sometimes if I'm downtown and I don't have any vouchers on me, I'll give them a buck. I know I won't spend it any wiser than they will. Better to err on the side of generosity, I think.

These coupons aren't much more effective. They trade them amongst themselves like cash, it just takes a few extra to get what they want instead of actual dollars.

fourthworldtraffic
04-13-2009, 01:47 PM
The reality is that they are us. Paradise just a pink and a prescription slip away.

Prunepicker
04-13-2009, 01:49 PM
The reality is that they are us. Paradise just a pink and a prescription slip
away.

That's great! I about died laughing. :LolLolLol

Keep the humor rolling!

Prunepicker
04-13-2009, 01:52 PM
These coupons aren't much more effective. They trade them amongst
themselves like cash, it just takes a few extra to get what they want instead
of actual dollars.

Does anyone know the going rate for the "Welfare Credit Card"? You know,
the one that replaced food stamps in order to help their (lol) self esteem.

They were getting 30 to 40 cents on the dollar for food stamps. Is it the
same with the Welfare Credit Card?