View Full Version : Larry Nichols suggestions could alter downtown...

metro
04-07-2009, 08:02 AM
http://newsok.com/devon-chief-larry-nichols-suggestions-could-alter-downtown/article/3359506?custom_click=lead_story_title

Expert’s suggestions could alter downtown
BY STEVE LACKMEYER
Published: April 7, 2009

Downtown Oklahoma City stands at a crossroads, and no less than Devon Energy Chief Executive Officer Larry Nichols sees what’s ahead as significant as what has transpired this past decade.

Featured Video (http://feeds.newsok.tv/services/player/bcpid1766638491?bctid=18508750001) - Devon plans continue

Part of that change involves Nichols himself. As part of the deal to build a $750 million, 54-story headquarters, Devon required the city to set up a tax increment fund to transform downtown’s streets, sidewalks and parks.

Listening to Nichols is like hearing a man who has fully taken in and embraced the latest in urban design and planning.

And part of that thinking involves the need to balance pedestrian needs with those of motorists. And who is better to bring into the discussion than Jeff Speck, a renowned author and consultant sought out on such matters by cities nationwide?

Speck is saying some things that might not be welcome by all — but bares some discussion. And there are plenty of civic leaders who wonder if one of Speck’s concerns about the proposed new headquarters for the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber should be discussed more before it becomes a reality.

Design questioned
Speck doesn’t think the design is bad. He simply questions whether a plaza separating the building from the E.K. Gaylord and an open surface parking lot facing NW 4 is ideal for creating a good environment for pedestrians. Speck notes traditional cities — ones that catered to pedestrians — had buildings with "weird shapes” to fill their footprints (such as Rand Elliott’s offices at NE 5 and Harrison).
The chamber building’s design is partially dictated by a decision from city engineers that the intersection of NW 4, Broadway and E.K. Gaylord couldn’t be redesigned. They insist E.K. Gaylord must hook directly into Broadway to ensure a smooth flow of traffic and have rejected suggestions of recreating a traditional grid intersection that would reconnect NE 3 with Robert S Kerr Avenue and allow the chamber to build a building with a more traditional urban setback from the street.

But what if the city engineers and their traffic consultants are wrong? Speck thinks they made the wrong call in not making all of Walker Avenue two-way during recent reconstruction, and his suggestion to make all downtown streets two-way has drawn cheers from those attending his presentations.

City Hall has a lot to be proud of, and they’ve got a track record of public-private ventures that includes redevelopment of the Skirvin hotel, development in Bricktown, the Dell campus on the Oklahoma River, recovery after the 1995 Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building bombing and various housing projects downtown.

But history has proved the city staff wrong when it came to whether the Bricktown Canal should be broken into three segments or when it came to tearing down the Walnut Avenue Bridge.

Jeff Speck says the chamber building design isn’t bad; he simply says it’s not right.

I’m not suggesting that anyone involved in these current discussions doesn’t have the best of intentions. But one has to wonder how further examination of future developments can do anything but assure that today’s decisions won’t be regretted in the future. What if Jeff Speck is right and the engineers are wrong?

BDP
04-07-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm kind of confused. Do Nichols's suggestions = Speck's suggestions, or are they separate? Is Nichols suggesting using the TIF to implement Speck's suggestions? Or is this just saying the TIF will create some funds that will be used to help streets, sidewalks, and parks per Nichols's ideas and then there's this other guy, Speck, who has some ideas, too...

PLANSIT
04-07-2009, 10:54 AM
^Hopefully Speck's ideas are considered in the Downtown Streetscape Master Plan and that they reexamine the Functional Street Plan classifications due to their obvious over-capacity status.

okclee
04-07-2009, 11:23 AM
I'm kind of confused. Do Nichols's suggestions = Speck's suggestions, or are they separate? Is Nichols suggesting using the TIF to implement Speck's suggestions? Or is this just saying the TIF will create some funds that will be used to help streets, sidewalks, and parks per Nichols's ideas and then there's this other guy, Speck, who has some ideas, too...

I thought it was just me, I too am confused.

Obviously Nichols has major pull with the decision, but where does he stand on the boulevard and the new OKC chamber building?

bombermwc
04-07-2009, 12:00 PM
And why do we care what Spech thinks about the chamber building?

PLANSIT
04-07-2009, 12:12 PM
^Because we pay him to.

His job was to address pedestrian friendliness in and around the CBD. That block is a huge void for a link between DD and AA/CBD and with proper street frontage by the OKC Chamber building, it could be a success. If you're going to build it, build it right.

rondvu
04-07-2009, 02:10 PM
I have to agree with Speck. The NW 4th and Broadway intersection is
dangerous. I worked downtown for 30 years and dreaded crossing that intersection every day. I was almost hit a few times. The drivers run the lights and roll on right. A time or two some seemed to play chicken with me. Hudson is another horrible street for pedestrians. It's like crossing I-40 at times. I did see one thing today I found quit intresting on Main and Robinson. The crossing light had a timer for the pedestrians to guage their walk across the steet. :kicking:

soonerguru
04-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Steve,

What is Mr. Nichols's position on Jeff Speck? Does he support Speck's findings? Does he support Clay Bennett's Chamber building? Your column seems to link the two, but the link is unclear.

jbrown84
04-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Yeah the article confuses me as well because I don't see what the comments about Nichols have to do with Speck's view on the chamber building.

I know that Nichols just happens to be on the committee in charge of the building, but it's like the article is suggesting something without really saying it. I HOPE that Nichols will lead a charge to reassess the design.

Steve
04-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Steve,

What is Mr. Nichols's position on Jeff Speck? Does he support Speck's findings? Does he support Clay Bennett's Chamber building? Your column seems to link the two, but the link is unclear.

I bring up Larry Nichols to show that there is a change underway in how civic leaders relate to downtown and development. I bring up Mr. Speck because his mere presence is an example of the transformation that is underway. And I focus in on the chamber design because it is an example of how difficult discussions remain.

This was a difficult column to write. But I've also heard from a lot of people who fully appreciate what I'm trying to say. Some people on this board would prefer to read things that say "Mr. X is good, Mr. Y is bad." That's great on talk radio and online discussion boards. But it's not always reality. There's a lot of gray area and I'm doing my best to bring readers along and provide as much clarity as I can to a shifting situation.

- Steve

soonerguru
04-09-2009, 08:42 AM
Steve,

I'm not one of those people. I don't listen to that kind of garbage. Just curious if Larry Nichols supports Jeff Speck's conclusions. Do you know?

urbanity
04-09-2009, 09:23 AM
Jeff Speck speaks:
Walkabilty expert presents findings to Oklahoma City | OKG Scene.com (http://tinyurl.com/d7co5s)

jbrown84
04-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Steve I appreciate you avoiding making it a black and white, right and wrong kind of thing. I was just a little confused.

BDP
04-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Yeah, I don't think anyone was asking you to make a qualitative judgment on the views of either Nichols or Speck. I think some of us were just confused as to what the actual link between Nichols and Speck is or if there was one at all. I think it's kind of a leap to say that people here are asking fro your opinion, as we seem to do just fine coming up with our own. ; )

Steve
04-09-2009, 07:28 PM
Yeah BDP, I have to always walk a fine line. Weird thing is, these days, it seems to fidget like a 3-year-old who has consumed massive amounts of Expresso and Peeps.

soonerguru
04-09-2009, 08:32 PM
Steve,

Do you actually know Larry Nichols's position on Jeff Speck's recommendations? Or are you sworn to secrecy? There's a lot of secrecy in this town.

hipsterdoofus
04-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Don't know a lot about this, but 4th and broadway...needs to be redone - to either allow no left turn from 4th or to completely get rid of parking on 4th at the intersection. That place is terrible at 4:30-5pm

Steve
04-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Sooner, let's put it this way: the folks at Devon are listening and showing a lot of interest in what Speck is saying.

BG918
04-10-2009, 07:54 AM
Sooner, let's put it this way: the folks at Devon are listening and showing a lot of interest in what Speck is saying.

And they have $$$ so they can actually change things..

soonerguru
04-10-2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks, Steve. I suspected that, based on their obvious care for improving our city.