View Full Version : Smooth Jazz Radio Returns to Oklahoma

BB37
04-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Found a new Smooth Jazz FM station at 103.7 today while driving to Sapulpa. Listened to them all the way back to OKC, although they started fuzzing just east of Turnpike gate. Call letters are KOCD, with transmitter in Okemah.

Good to have this format back after so long; just wish their coverage was a little bit wider.

Lurker34
04-06-2009, 08:31 AM
They've been around for awhile. They actually show up in the OKC ratings, although they have less than 1 share. You can pick them up on the east side of town. You can forget it if you're west of I-35.

Joe Kimball
04-06-2009, 04:26 PM
It actually does show up west of I-35, though the signal is variable unless you have a VERY good antenna.

I don't understand why they're in the middle of things like that....they just touch the MSAs of OKC *AND* Tulsa with their small coverage.

Great customer service, though---I once called with some questions as to their playlist log, and didn't get an answer---fifteen minutes later or so, the PD calls, apologizing, answering my question and then revealing he was on vacation at Disney World, at that moment standing outside Epcot Center (replete with the usual background noises).

BB37
04-06-2009, 06:50 PM
They claim to serve both OKC and Tulsa, but looking at their signal coverage map, most of the OKC and Tulsa metros are in their 'fringe' zone. Coming back from Sapulpa on the Turner T'pike yesterday, I got them very well until we got about 1 mile east of the OKC gate, when they started 'fuzzing.' Their signal got progressively worse as I continued west on Kilpatrick. By the time I got home in Surrey Hills (beyond their fringe zone), they were fading in and out.

I really wish their signal was stronger, especially in west OKC. It'd be a nice alternative to the pop, country and other stuff on FM. I also noticed that they apparently have no local on-air staff; looks like their programming is all downloaded from satellite.

KOCD Coverage Map: http://www.radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/pat?call=KOCD&service=FM&status=L&hours=U

Soonerman
04-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Do you start getting 103.5 biting in to 103.7 in west OKC

windowphobe
04-07-2009, 05:46 PM
Incidentally, this used to be KESC-FM in Wilburton. If I remember correctly, Senator Richard Lerblance is part of the ownership group.

BB37
04-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Do you start getting 103.5 biting in to 103.7 in west OKC

There's another signal bleeding over out here, not sure whose it is.

BB37
04-07-2009, 08:27 PM
Incidentally, this used to be KESC-FM in Wilburton. If I remember correctly, Senator Richard Lerblance is part of the ownership group.

Yeah, I saw that. I was partly right; I thought there was a politician involved. I thought it might be Gene Stipe.

theparkman81
04-08-2009, 01:47 PM
When it was KESC, Gene Stipe was part of the ownership, but him and some other guy had to give it up, because of Gene Stipe getting in trouble or something like that, So somebody bought it, move the license to Okemah, in exchange for moving the license of KMCO from Mcalester to Wilburton.

Lurker34
04-10-2009, 01:23 PM
The guy who is the program director there IS a great guy. I contacted him to place a commerical buy. Can't remember his name though. Hope they can make a go of it.

Prunepicker
05-26-2009, 10:17 PM
Does this station set aside a time for 'Straight Ahead' jazz? F'rinstance, late
at night.

I'm not a fan of sj or electric jazz, unless it's a paying gig LOL. There are
some exceptions.

theparkman81
06-19-2009, 01:19 PM
I listen to them today about 11:00 and during their time for station identication they didn't mention OKC, I guess they remove OKC from their ID, It is now KOCD Okemah-Tulsa, I looked on their website and their offices is in Broken Arrow, Maybe when the new 99.7 finally come on maybe it can be a smooth jazz station.

dcsooner
06-19-2009, 08:10 PM
Streamed the audio today.
Awesome station! I really hope it succeeds.