View Full Version : Do u have beats in your car

LIL_WAYNE_4_PREZIDENT08
04-05-2009, 12:37 PM
I have 2 pioneer champion series 12's 1400 watts each with a 1800 watt class D mono block kenwood amp.

USG '60
04-05-2009, 01:18 PM
The cassette player in my 19 year old truck still works just fine and I can hear it even with the windows down at 70 mph. Can yours do that?

so1rfan
04-05-2009, 02:22 PM
I have 2 pioneer champion series 12's 1400 watts each with a 1800 watt class D mono block kenwood amp.

Wow, I bet that doubled the value of your Pinto.

OKCisOK4me
04-05-2009, 02:37 PM
The factory speakers in my Scion are just fine, thank you.

bluedogok
04-05-2009, 03:28 PM
The factory 10-speaker system in my Z4 does just fine, since it is a two seater the subs are aimed right at the back of the seats so you feel it. My F-150 had a good system for a factory system and my wife's Escape has the top of the line factory system and sounds pretty good.

I just don't feel the need to build a system anymore if the factory one is good enough. I never went for SPL numbers anyway, I just prefer good sound quality.

BradR
04-05-2009, 04:20 PM
i do but nothing like i used to do 10 years ago

ddavidson8
04-05-2009, 07:09 PM
I'm waiting for Obama to loan me the money to put some in my truck.

DaveSkater
04-06-2009, 07:58 AM
2 - 10" Audiobahn
1 - 12" JL
Kicker 350.1 running the three in series bridged

4 Rockford Fosgate power series in the doors
4 alpine tweeters placed strategically
Kicker 750.1 powering the satellites

Pioneer DEH head
DVD player
10" pull down screen in back
2 - 7" visor monitors

venture
04-06-2009, 08:35 AM
I wonder if the city would consider any noise ordinance when it comes to car stereo equipment? One the previous cities I lived in had something like that because people didn't appreciate being vibrated apart at stop lights. So they past the ordinance and before you knew it those people were being pulled over, fined, and equipment ripped out of their car and confiscated. It was so nice and peaceful.

westsidesooner
04-06-2009, 08:48 AM
If I'm not mistaken OKC does have a noise ordinance dealing with car stereos. And if I remember correctly it states that you should not be able to hear it (the stereo) from outside of 50'. Again I may be mistken but I think I remember seeing something on the news about this not to long ago. Whether the law is enforced is obviously an issue if there is one.

DaveSkater
04-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Oh yes. It's enforced too. Especially in Warr Acres.

Of course, with all my gear, I still roll around mainly listening to the A.M. right wing talk. (with the subs disabled). When on the road, we'll watch a DVD and it sounds like the old sensaround theatre setup.

BradR
04-06-2009, 03:09 PM
it's 50' pretty much anywhere i've asked. i actually got a ticket for it when i was in high school. they said i was rattling the windows inside hardees (the owners) and called me in so they were waiting for me next time around

Midtowner
04-06-2009, 03:24 PM
I did in high school and college.

Decided not to go that route on the new car.

nik4411
04-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Ive got couple of 15's and a 1600 watt amp, 4 infinity kapa speakers, but i was running it all thru a capacitor, which broke down, and I just can't be bothered putting any more money into it.

NativeOkie
04-06-2009, 06:24 PM
The Lexus has surround and video for the kids, My vette has Bose. all factory of course.
My son keeps pretty good beat, the drum lessons are apparently working.
so if he is riding we have beats.
went to the store and bought beets once in the car but I assume that is not the same thing.

BradR
04-07-2009, 09:14 AM
Ive got couple of 15's and a 1600 watt amp, 4 infinity kapa speakers, but i was running it all thru a capacitor, which broke down, and I just can't be bothered putting any more money into it.

capacitors are a scam!

DaveSkater
04-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Well, there are a few schools of thoughts on the scam of capacitors. There are some that do a good job, and some that don't.

Industrial strength full line voltage capacitors work as advertised, by cutting the harmful peak inrush current by storing energy like a battery.

The car audio capacitors are generally weak, undersize and not necessary. About the best that they're going to do is to cut a little bit of current in rush from eating up (shortening the life) of your alternator. The good ones will sometimes provide a nice 14.4 voltage supply to your equipment thru auto transforming, due to the voltage drop inherent in a LV DC system. Don't install one thinking it's going to make your gear hit harder, install one to prolong the supporting vehicle gear last longer.

They also make a nice central point of power and grounding point.

I have one, and recommend them based on the above. Your ear won't notice, but your car will.

metro
04-07-2009, 01:15 PM
capacitors are a scam!

Not if you have a FLUX Capacitor!!

http://www.thegreenhead.com/imgs/back-to-the-future-flux-capacitor-replica-3.jpg

nik4411
04-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Yea, mine was pretty cheap and probably didn't do much

JIMBO
04-07-2009, 05:41 PM
When your right to blow out your eardrums, starts to rattle my dish's and shake my windows.THAT'S JUST WRONG

BradR
04-08-2009, 08:08 AM
Well, there are a few schools of thoughts on the scam of capacitors. There are some that do a good job, and some that don't.

Industrial strength full line voltage capacitors work as advertised, by cutting the harmful peak inrush current by storing energy like a battery.

The car audio capacitors are generally weak, undersize and not necessary. About the best that they're going to do is to cut a little bit of current in rush from eating up (shortening the life) of your alternator. The good ones will sometimes provide a nice 14.4 voltage supply to your equipment thru auto transforming, due to the voltage drop inherent in a LV DC system. Don't install one thinking it's going to make your gear hit harder, install one to prolong the supporting vehicle gear last longer.

They also make a nice central point of power and grounding point.

I have one, and recommend them based on the above. Your ear won't notice, but your car will.

Yeah, I know how they work and the proper ways to hook them up but I bet 90% of the people who buy the 1/2 Farad capacitor at wal-mart to make their subs beat harder are getting scammed.

Bobby821
04-08-2009, 09:46 AM
You dont need that crap a good AM/FM car radio is sufficient. I hate people who intrude on my space with there loud music, makes me wish i was a cop so I could write them a big ticket and then rip the dam thing out of there car and say grow up boy.

BradR
04-08-2009, 03:55 PM
nothing wrong with "grown ups" having a nice stereo. I don't blast mine around neighborhoods but I definitely couldn't stand to listen to a stock AM/FM car radio. I guess I have different sound quality tastes.

Joe Kimball
04-09-2009, 11:58 AM
I'd like to ask a meaningful question, one which perhaps DaveSkater addressed with his detailing his use of his setup---

Do any high-end car stereo enthusiasts (especially those with well-driven subwoofers) ever use them moderately, that is, to reproduce bass not at extremes but to the level normally heard when hearing acoustic instruments in person, giving treble frequencies greater presence when called for? Is there a trend like this among, say, audiophiles?

Bobby821
04-09-2009, 12:08 PM
nothing wrong with "grown ups" having a nice stereo. I don't blast mine around neighborhoods but I definitely couldn't stand to listen to a stock AM/FM car radio. I guess I have different sound quality tastes.

A radio is a radio one is as good as another get over it. You dont need to have the radio turned up very loud anyway it is a safety issue you need to be able to hear cars and emergency vehicles around you. Music isnt the main thing, I think they should make car radios with volume limiters to only go so loud and thats it. A lot of you kids are going to loose your hearing from having those dam radios turned up so loud. whats the since in it other than to bother people and have them talking about how stupid and immature you are.

westsidesooner
04-09-2009, 12:08 PM
[QUOTE=Free Won't;215363]
Do any high-end car stereo enthusiasts (especially those with well-driven subwoofers) ever use them moderately, that is, to reproduce bass not at extremes but to the level normally heard when hearing acoustic instruments in person, giving treble frequencies greater presence when called for? /QUOTE]

I have no problem with loud music.....but I do have the same question as FW. I think mostly that crowd is more into "Hey look at me" than they are hearing their own music. When they pull up beside me, or thump down my street all I hear is BASS...that, and windows vibrateing. Its obviuos they aren't listening for the sound of the music. It also tells me (when their are 2 or more in the car) that they don't have anything to say to each other. Kinda sad really.

BradR
04-09-2009, 12:19 PM
A radio is a radio one is as good as another get over it. You dont need to have the radio turned up very loud anyway it is a safety issue you need to be able to hear cars and emergency vehicles around you. Music isnt the main thing, I think they should make car radios with volume limiters to only go so loud and thats it. A lot of you kids are going to loose your hearing from having those dam radios turned up so loud. whats the since in it other than to bother people and have them talking about how stupid and immature you are.

Well first off, I'm not a "kid" and I don't play it at loud volume much at all. I like good sound quality and can't stand to listen to a radio that isn't tuned properly or one that has bad sound quality. Secondly, I've given up on caring what other people think of me or my vehicles over 10 years ago so you can say how stupid and immature you think I am all you want.

I hardly ever turn my subwoofer up to a volume that overrides the actual music coming from the other speakers if that's what you guys are asking about. I like to listen to music with some depth to the sound but not just thumping bass and nothing else.

Joe Kimball
04-09-2009, 12:46 PM
I hardly ever turn my subwoofer up to a volume that overrides the actual music coming from the other speakers if that's what you guys are asking about. I like to listen to music with some depth to the sound but not just thumping bass and nothing else.
bolding mine

Yes, but not just that---whether there is a similar gentry (as opposed to those in it for the bass) who reproduce the instruments faithfully in their cars.

BradR
04-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Are you talking about high quality speakers for the midrange and treble? There are hundreds of options for that from simple 2 way speakers up to a full 3 speaker component system. They range in price from $15-$1500 depending on how much you want to pay for quality (and the brand name). I chose to do all of the equipment in my car with Kicker brand which isn't really an audiophile brand but they're based in Stillwater and are very well known in the car audio world. I currently have some simple 3 way 6x9 speakers and a set of 6 1/2" components with a 3/4" separate tweeter hooked to a smaller Kicker amp. My sub is a single CVR 12 with a 450.2 amp on it. It's capable of producing very loud bass but I don't really like the way it sounds with all bass so I tend to keep the bass at about 1/2 while the mids are producing the majority of the sound.

Bobby821
04-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Well first off, I'm not a "kid" and I don't play it at loud volume much at all. I like good sound quality and can't stand to listen to a radio that isn't tuned properly or one that has bad sound quality. Secondly, I've given up on caring what other people think of me or my vehicles over 10 years ago so you can say how stupid and immature you think I am all you want.

A stock radio with stock speakers is good enough, mine even has some static in it as it is 20 yrs old but still does it's job which is play music.

BradR
04-09-2009, 01:10 PM
What's good enough to some, is terrible to others.

MadMonk
04-09-2009, 01:17 PM
I enjoy the sound of a quality system and understand what you are saying BradR. Besides good sound, the tech-factor on some of these systems appeals to my geeky side. But, it's those fools that have the base cranked up so much that it rattles the windows and trunk and drowns out the rest of the spectrum that most people roll their eyes about. For them it's all about being attention whores rather than the quality of the sound.

Bobby821
04-09-2009, 01:32 PM
What's good enough to some, is terrible to others.

Should all be the same all around.

BradR
04-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Wow, you're a little closed minded today aren't you.

I'm done arguing with you because you obviously have some sort of vendetta against anyone who has a different opinion than you. Good day.

Bobby821
04-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Wow, you're a little closed minded today aren't you.

I'm done arguing with you because you obviously have some sort of vendetta against anyone who has a different opinion than you. Good day.

not argueing just making a point of how things should be is all.

MadMonk
04-09-2009, 01:50 PM
not argueing just making a point of how things should be is all.
Well how things should be for you isn't necessarily how it should be for others. You don't get to make that call. Different strokes as they say.

Bobby821
04-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Well how things should be for you isn't necessarily how it should be for others. You don't get to make that call. Different strokes as they say.

If i were in control I would.

MadMonk
04-09-2009, 02:08 PM
LOL, I'm sure you would. A world with your rules would be an "interesting" place to be.

Joe Kimball
04-09-2009, 03:39 PM
A stock radio with stock speakers is good enough, mine even has some static in it as it is 20 yrs old but still does it's job which is play music.

Good enough? Sure, I'll agree. Would I agree if it were to be suggested that such a setup is as good as possible? In a word, no.

There are those who, as a hobby unto itself in many cases, try to reproduce recorded music as faithfully as possible---as good (faithfully) as the instrument sounded in the studio, and if not that, as faithfully as possible to the very microphone that interpreted it and the tape or hard drive which recorded it. The extra static that you admit you have would not be representative of this. This is to say nothing of the fact that this is music over the radio, which is already sending a compressed signal.

CuatrodeMayo
04-10-2009, 09:48 AM
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z174/rubberpoultry/dont_feed_the_trolls.jpg

MadMonk
04-10-2009, 10:05 AM
lol, that's a great pic

trousers
04-10-2009, 12:31 PM
sheesh, kids these days with their loud music, hula hoops, and fax machines.

Joe Kimball
04-10-2009, 02:20 PM
(snipped image: "Don't Feed The Trolls!

I hear you, but I think I starved any that may be around. :)

jsibelius
04-10-2009, 04:40 PM

A bit of an audiophile, I would say.

Yes, but not just that---whether there is a similar gentry (as opposed to those in it for the bass) who reproduce the instruments faithfully in their cars.

In my case, I would not say completely faithfully, but close...like horseshoes and hand grenades. I have my first set of non-factory speakers, finally. I would have replaced the speakers in my last car, had it not become such a beater there towards the end. Nothing, in my opinion, needs better speakers than classical music. When I was testing out car stereos, I took the London Symphony's version of Holst's The Planets for a test case. There is one movement where, if you have bad speakers, the bass section sounds like a contingent of low flying fighter planes from WWI. My other half always asks me, "What's that?" every time that part plays. On good speakers, it just sounds like a rollicking good low note. There's not a rap song on the planet that can compete with that (although I have a good mix of everything on my mp3).

I've got several jazz pieces that will kill my speakers too. In fact, a couple of weeks ago, I thought I was going to have to spring for new ones...ALREADY...because these were rattling horribly along with a great jazz song I acquired back in January (I wish I could remember which one). Anyway, it turns out my ice scraper just happens to be on the same natural frequency (a little physics lesson) as some of the low notes and it was jamming along with me and Duke Ellington, probably. Once I moved the ice scraper out of the door, the rattling stopped. My speakers are still serving me well. I can't tell you what they are because I don't know. I just know they're not factory.

DaveSkater
04-15-2009, 01:58 PM
I'd like to ask a meaningful question, one which perhaps DaveSkater addressed with his detailing his use of his setup---

Do any high-end car stereo enthusiasts (especially those with well-driven subwoofers) ever use them moderately, that is, to reproduce bass not at extremes but to the level normally heard when hearing acoustic instruments in person, giving treble frequencies greater presence when called for? Is there a trend like this among, say, audiophiles?

Sure, that's how mine are used. I don't listen to rap, and I've got my system set to route all sounds 80hz and below to the subs. I have a seperate (2 actually) sub gain switches, one on the head unit, and a separate rotary knob directly attached to the AMP.

Rock and classical, and especially DVD movies truly benefit from component systems. The addition of the subs also extends the life of the other speakers as you can choke all frequencies below that 80hz threshold off of them.

On the off chance that some rock song takes advantage of, say a 808 drum kick, that really comes out good!

Joe Kimball
04-15-2009, 02:21 PM
The addition of the subs also extends the life of the other speakers as you can choke all frequencies below that 80hz threshold off of them.

Very clever---using the proper tool for the job.

Thank you (and everyone else) for filling me in. :)

DaveSkater
04-15-2009, 03:19 PM
Sure. If you have any other questions I'm glad to answer.