View Full Version : Portland Blazers Blogger on OKC (Not Very Nice)

Pages : [1] 2

autoMATTic
04-05-2009, 12:21 PM
I saw this link in a "comment" on newsok.com after reading an article on the Thunder. The "writer" seems to have a serious problem with OKC, mainly that there is "nowhere to eat after 9P." I don't think he even tried. He could have gone to Soleil, Red Prime, The Mantel, Mickey Mantel, etc. All of which, I am fairly certain, take reservations up to and/or beyond 9P.

"About the only good thing about covering a game in Oklahoma City is that the hotel I stay at is literally 20 feet from the Ford Center. Other than that, it's easily No. 29 on the NBA tour of cities, even worse than Sacramento and Milwaukee. One reason why? When I arrived here with Oregonian photographer Bruce Ely (second roadie of the year for Bruuuce!), it was about 9:30 p.m. and we were starved. The downtown here might as well have had tumbleweeds blowing through it, but they do have what could pass as a lively section called "Bricktown" - which was within walking distance."

Steve, can you blog about late-night dining downtown? Maybe some sort of guide. Perhaps one already exists. I don't know. I should probably just let this stuff roll off. Thoughts?

Behind the Blazers Locker Room Door: At Oklahoma City - Behind The Blazers Beat (http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/04/behind_the_blazers_locker_room_7.html)

Karried
04-05-2009, 12:49 PM
Well, it was Thursday night when they first arrived most likely right? I'm sure Friday night was bustling but maybe they just left soon after the game.

but they do have what could pass as a lively section called "Bricktown"

That's encouraging.

What about a Welcome Kit/Package for visiting NBA staff... readily available online (media) or at the hotels?

Does the Chamber offer anything like this?

I've never stayed at the Marriot but it seems they would have directories of nearby eating establishments.

Steve
04-05-2009, 12:51 PM
Good idea, Automattic. Will do.

Kerry
04-05-2009, 01:23 PM
They are probably former writers for the Seattle Times. Cut them some slack, they lost their team, then lost their minds, and then they lost their newspaper.

Nawfside OKC
04-05-2009, 01:33 PM
I think he must have roamed around the CBD... there's not too many options their past 9:30 pm . but to say he could not find no food in bricktown I don't believe it . Also all he had to do was just ask somebody down there where's the food . Oklahomans are very friendly and we like to eat.

tuck
04-05-2009, 03:27 PM
I think I must agree with them if they strolled around the CBD; our downtown is a far cry from bustling. Of course it is busy and full of action on Thunder game nights.

I do know that Red PrimeSteak stops serving at 10:00 on weekdays. greg Oden was in Friday night after the game.

Steve
04-05-2009, 03:49 PM
Good news: Mike Morgan and I are friends now.
Bad news: I really hope I'm not about to end up with another working journalist daring me to "show my balls."
Thanks OKCTalk. You keep my weekends interesting.

Seeking the Truth to a Quick Visit to Oklahoma City (http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/2009/04/05/seeking-the-truth-to-a-quick-visit-to-oklahoma-city/)

Pete
04-05-2009, 04:18 PM
it's easily No. 29 on the NBA tour of cities, even worse than Sacramento and Milwaukee

Actually, I consider it a compliment to OKC to be compared to Milwaukee, which is a fantastic city with tons of life downtown.

I realize he was drawing the comparison as an insult, but it also goes to show that the guy doesn't have much credibility.

Also, isn't OKC the smallest NBA city?

Nawfside OKC
04-05-2009, 04:24 PM
steve ...lol thats what we call getting put on front street

on another note i didn't know there's so many places inside of the ford center to eat I just thought it was the usual cinnamon rolls cotton candy corn dogs etc..

sgray
04-05-2009, 04:26 PM
Here's my wild, crazy opinion. I don't necessarily disagree with the thread's post, however, I think we should take a close look at the situation before drawing conclusions. In writing about games in other cities, does this writer frequently blast those cities, or does he have a generally favorable review of them? Is it possible that as we grow as a city, that we may learn from other cities (that have dealt with this already) in how they communicate with their visitors?

I have to say, I've had friends come in from out of town who haven't been here before and have made similar comments about downtown. While they may not turn out to be 100% true, visitors shouldn't have to have a "user manual" to know where these places are, you know? They shouldn't have to ask people, either. I'm all about having a friendly conversation, but when I get in late and am hungry... da**it, I want to eat, NOW!

Tech-savvy visitor's should have to look no further than a google search (on their mobile/handheld device) for "oklahoma city" and our visitor's site should have a quick and easy "minimal clicks" answer to their questions. Non-techies should have easy access to a printed version.

A quick google search for "oklahoma city" reveals the OKCCVB site. Clicking on "what to do" and then "restaurants" reveals a "phone book list" of restaurants with no way in he** to tell where the places are without doing a line-by-line check on each one. Sure, us locals know exactly where these places are and their hours and what they serve--visitors do not. So who are we providing these resources for--visitors or locals??? A quick look at bricktownokc.com reveals a similar "phone book list" with no way for folks to see where the places are located.

Nice, color-coded bricktown/downtown map showing "what to do", anyone? (No, not the one on the CVB site) I mean something that they can pick up at the airport, hotels, and other establishments all over the area. And for the tech-savvy folks, we should have the same thing right on our "visitor's gateway" site.

Something with a little more class than just a phone book and a free city map, you know?

Steve
04-05-2009, 04:28 PM
So what you're saying is there should be a guide to "late night dining downtown" at the CVB and Downtown OKC websites... Jane Jenkins and Kim Searls, what say you?

Nawfside OKC
04-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Also, isn't OKC the smallest NBA city?

I think Salt Lake City ,Sacremento, and Orlando are smaller but, just going by incorporated township not MSA if you do MSA all are larger (just tooting our horn)

sgray
04-05-2009, 04:37 PM
So what you're saying is there should be a guide to "late night dining downtown" at the CVB and Downtown OKC websites... Jane Jenkins and Kim Searls, what say you?

Well, not necessarily a guide to "late night dining". Pretty much a "what to do/eat/etc.." guide for the area, presented in an easy-to-understand and colorful format, perhaps? And again those are just my ideas, coming from someone who doesn't have the experience that other, bigger cities have.

I do want to add that I have a bookmarked list of the visitor's sites for lots of cities I visit and most have a pretty cool set-up in terms of guiding visitors around.

I think the general "pointer signs" with the arrows that OKC put up in the downtown area were a good start, but more is needed in my opinion. Those are just general direction signs.

Also, what about "today's events"??? What if someone is flying in here on business (or otherwise) from far away and they have no idea a concert or game is happening? How can we best communicate what's happening 'right now' as well? Same web site? Event calendars alongside the printed material for the non-techies?

sgray
04-05-2009, 04:49 PM
I also want to add that I think this will be a very important issue if we decide to try and attract a lot of attention to our convention center(s)...you know?

mecarr
04-05-2009, 05:04 PM
I think he must have roamed around the CBD... there's not too many options their past 9:30 pm .

There are zero eating options in the Central Business District after 7 pm, much less 9:30.

kevinpate
04-05-2009, 05:13 PM
> zero eating options in the Central Business District after 7 pm,

Maybe I simply lack a clear grasp of the CBD boundaries. I thought the Colcord, Sheraton and Skirvin, and the dining establishments within, are all considered as being located within the CBD.

Steve
04-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Yes, the hotel restaurants would be considered to be within the CBD. Gaijun Sushi gave it a go and it didn't last. Interurban is open through early evening, but I think it's just their bar at that point. But it's surrounded by areas where restaurants are open.

Steve
04-05-2009, 08:25 PM
James Quick has done what Tom Elmore and the local tv weathermen would not - he has directly answered my questions at OKC Central (http://www.okccentral.com). Now, is he right?

Karried
04-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Not an expert.. but the more I think about it.. no we really don't have a lot of restaurants in the area serving meals after 9:30pm .... hmmmm, business opportunity?

Steve
04-05-2009, 08:40 PM
We have more than you think.

Karried
04-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Maybe that's the point.... exposure.

I've lived here almost 7 years.

So, a visitor here for the first time? I can see his point.

How do we go about directing people to these establisments?

Like I said before, we need an NBA Welcome package pointing the way!

Pete
04-05-2009, 09:25 PM
The better question is how many cities remotely similar in size to OKC have a bunch of restaurants in it's CBD that are still serving food at 9:30 on a weeknight?

I worked in downtown L.A. for a number of years and other than a few hotels, I don't think there were any restaurants in their CBD open that late.

Also, I don't believe for a minute that many places in Bricktown (though technically not in the CBD but closer walking distances than many cities' CBD's) weren't still serving food at that time.

And finally, anyone with common sense that arrived to a downtown area late would merely ask someone at the hotel where they were staying for restaurant recommendations. How many people would just go wandering around an area that must have looked pretty dark when they arrived, then started asking doormen and bouncers?

Karried
04-05-2009, 09:43 PM
lol, This is true.

And actually, I do think it's sort of impractical to expect a huge variety of restaurants serving a full course Dinner at 10:00pm. We're not Vegas.

Steve
04-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Pete, this reminds me of something Jane Jacobs said about there being no restaurants and no gyms on Wall Street. That there was no 24/7 life to support such enterprises. And that's the case with the CBDs. They are still office enclaves for the most part, with residential circling them but not getting into the core.
But here's a list to start off with of restaurants Mr. Quick could have gone to at 9:30 p.m.:
The Red Piano Lounge at the Skirvin Hilton Hotel.
The Red Prime Steakhouse
I also believe Brix, Bricktown Brewery and some of the newer restaurants at The Centennial are open later at night.
I'll get a full list going this week.

And oh... "door men"???? We've got door men? Maybe at The Montgomery. But did he really go to The Montgomery to find out what's open?

okcpulse
04-06-2009, 06:20 AM
I laughed at one of the replies in his blog. Some guy claimed that every restaurant he went to, the waitress always asked "y'all want hashbrowns with that?" Then ended his reply saying "very wierd".

Honestly, how many restaurants to we have that really offer hashbrowns with an order? Seriously? Chelino's doesn't even serves hashbrowns. Neither does Abuelos. They're Mexican restaurants for crying out loud. Bourbon Street? Tapwerks? Nope. Coach's, Mickey Mantles?

Heck, even outside the city core. Ted's Cafe Escondido, Redrock Canyon Grill, even Pearl's Oyster Bar and their seafood restaurants don't serve hasbrowns by default. I think this guy ate at one too many Denny's Resturants at 2AM. Oklahoma City's dining culture is like any other city, the wait staff asks you for your sides, and most of the time, it's salad, steamed vegetables, mashed potatoes, fries and the like. Not once did I ever sit down to a steak dinner or fish platter at any Oklahoma City restaurant only to be asked if I wanted a side of hashbrowns, much less find them on the dinner menu if I even wanted them.

I am not going to lie. This blogger somewhat has an underlying point if we want to take this as constructive criticism. We do need more life in our CBD, however the is a goal we are working toward. But you'll never find a ton of restaurants at the base floor of any office tower serving late-nighters. Heck, not even HOUSTON offers that.

Nonetheless, these outright exaggerations of hick waitresses offering hashbrowns with every order is nothing short of a laugh, and these people are getting very good at making themselves look like idiots with such claims.

kevinpate
04-06-2009, 06:59 AM
I can see it now. A month or so will go by and someone will be complaining that Oklahomans are not near as friendly as others have said ... just cause when X came to town not one waitperson offered him hashbrowns, and everyone knows Okies try and put hashbrowns with everything.

metro
04-06-2009, 07:35 AM
I agree KevinPate.

Who cares, we've got to get past this "Oklahoman inferiority complex" and not cry like Texas Longhorns fans every time someone says something we don't like. Now I do agree with sgray about what can we learn from this, as in what do we need to improve. But we don't need to keep crying and writing articles, everytime a visitor has a negative comment. Let's grow up as a city already!

Karried - That's funny you think the Chamber or CVB would be that proactive! I wish they would be though. Steve, as the other poster said, not necessarily a "late night dining" brochure, but a better website and materials and media kit and iphone app offered to out of town media and visitors where they can EASILY access information about ALL of downtown and not just the overhyped tourist Bricktown district.

Karried
04-06-2009, 08:16 AM
I wonder if this visitor packet has anything on late night dining?

Greater Oklahoma City Chamber - Business Resources - Store & Download Center (http://www.okcchamber.com/page.asp?atomid=652)

okcpulse
04-06-2009, 08:20 AM
I agree KevinPate.

Who cares, we've got to get past this "Oklahoman inferiority complex" and not cry like Texas Longhorns fans every time someone says something we don't like. Now I do agree with sgray about what can we learn from this, as in what do we need to improve. But we don't need to keep crying and writing articles, everytime a visitor has a negative comment. Let's grow up as a city already!

Karried - That's funny you think the Chamber or CVB would be that proactive! I wish they would be though. Steve, as the other poster said, not necessarily a "late night dining" brochure, but a better website and materials and media kit and iphone app offered to out of town media and visitors where they can EASILY access information about ALL of downtown and not just the overhyped tourist Bricktown district.

Hey, I never said it offended me or bothered me, I just thought it was funny. This isn't about an inferiority complex. Even I would make a fool out of myself by exaggerating a story. That applies to anyone.

I didn't take offense to the blogger, either. I would prefer to take it as constructive criticism. In response to his blog, I just pointed out the reality of most CBDs, that late-night restaurants are sparse.

This could very well be a good opportunity for OKC's business community. Bricktown has matured, but we need to work harder on weening ourselves from Bricktown. Other districts are beginning to blossom, and they need their due support from us, even the CBD.

metro
04-06-2009, 08:32 AM
I wonder if this visitor packet has anything on late night dining?

Greater Oklahoma City Chamber - Business Resources - Store & Download Center (http://www.okcchamber.com/page.asp?atomid=652)

Seriously doubt it, but I have that book at home so I'll check. Even if it's in there, a person would have to order this, download it to laptop, or go by the Chamber. There needs to be iphone app, a MOBILE WEB SITE, and those convenient little cards hotels have in the doorway and not just about "late night dining" but about ALL downtown has to offer including dining options, and it doesn't need to just be "Bricktown, but Arts District, CBD, AA, MidTown, etc.

metro
04-06-2009, 08:34 AM
Hey, I never said it offended me or bothered me, I just thought it was funny. This isn't about an inferiority complex. Even I would make a fool out of myself by exaggerating a story. That applies to anyone.

I didn't take offense to the blogger, either. I would prefer to take it as constructive criticism. In response to his blog, I just pointed out the reality of most CBDs, that late-night restaurants are sparse.

This could very well be a good opportunity for OKC's business community. Bricktown has matured, but we need to work harder on weening ourselves from Bricktown. Other districts are beginning to blossom, and they need their due support from us, even the CBD.

I didn't call you out specifically either. It just seems like almost every time someone from out of town visits OKC and writes an article, we post it on here and everyone freaks out. We need to quit worrying what other people think so much and just be a little more thick skinned and proactive (That includes the Chamber). The Chamber could do MUCH more on the image and visitor materials front.

OKCMallen
04-06-2009, 08:44 AM
I think he must have roamed around the CBD... there's not too many options their past 9:30 pm . but to say he could not find no food in bricktown I don't believe it . Also all he had to do was just ask somebody down there where's the food . Oklahomans are very friendly and we like to eat.

Aren't really any options after 7pm now that Gaijin is gone. Soleil is in CBD technically, I guess.

metro
04-06-2009, 08:47 AM
As are the restaurants in Skirvin, Renaissance and the often never mentioned and one time only option Sheridan hotel.

OKCMallen
04-06-2009, 08:59 AM
I liked your email to him, Steve!

betts
04-06-2009, 09:09 AM
If I were a downtown hotel, I'd have a packet available for each guest on close-in dining. There are so many restaurants within walking distance, but you have to know where there are, and what their hours are. And, if this blogger is going to complain, he needs to include Phoenix. I remember going to the Fiesta Bowl in Phoenix a couple of years ago. I decided it would be more fun to stay in downtown Phoenix instead of Glendale or Scottsdale. Big mistake. There literally were only five restaurants in downtown Phoenix that I could find. And no nearby Bricktown.

mecarr
04-06-2009, 09:32 AM
The better question is how many cities remotely similar in size to OKC have a bunch of restaurants in it's CBD that are still serving food at 9:30 on a weeknight?

Good point. I lived in Washington DC for a couple years and there was hardly anything open in their business district after 7pm.

Pete
04-06-2009, 10:20 AM
I think one thing that is a bit different about OKC than other NBA cities is that our arena is actually in the CBD and not really surrounded by any type of entertainment district.

Of course, Bricktown is all of two blocks away but it does feel separate.

Still, the authors 'criticism' is really just his own lack of common sense and it sure seems like he was more intent on confirming negative preconceptions than actually finding a nice place to eat, as there were plenty of great options.

OKCMallen
04-06-2009, 10:36 AM
I think one thing that is a bit different about OKC than other NBA cities is that our arena is actually in the CBD and not really surrounded by any type of entertainment district.

Of course, Bricktown is all of two blocks away but it does feel separate.

Still, the authors 'criticism' is really just his own lack of common sense and it sure seems like he was more intent on confirming negative preconceptions than actually finding a nice place to eat, as there were plenty of great options.

I think that's about right. It's still fashionable to hate on OKC in that part of the country.

BDP
04-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Here's part of the problem, from Jason Quick's answers (http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/2009/04/05/james-quick-answers/):

6. Would I gamble my professional reputation … I’m not insisting I-Hop and Hooters were the only open establishments. That’s what every bouncer, doorman and person on the street told us.

While I am not buying that IHOP and Hooters were the only places still serving food at 10, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the answer you'd get from an unscientific street poll, like the one Jason suggested he took.

I am often surprised by the ignorance of locals on the matters of what there is to do in Oklahoma City. I have had several conversations with restaurant operators that say they have to actively train their staff about what there is to do and see in Oklahoma City, so that they can be knowledgeable when their customers ask for advice. It often seems like the people who live here and say that there is nothing to do here are simply people who don't do anything and it's unfortunately fairly common. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of locals think Bricktown is IHOP and Hooters...

That being said, I would like to know what this guy expected. As others have pointed out, there is not much to eat in the business and financial districts of most cities after 10. Also, it is not uncommon, on the whole, for restaurants to begin winding down around 10 o'clock. However, establishments located in entertainment districts or neighborhoods are usually the exception and if most restaurants in Bricktown aren't even at least staying open to 12 on game nights, weekends, and concert nights, then we have a problem.

I totally agree with Pete that this reeks of simple self-fulfilling hatred, but I would also venture to guess that it would be possible to have better late night dining options in Bricktown where it honestly should be expected and that there are a fair share of people that really just don't know what options there are. And really, after almost 40 posts on this topic, no one has added a definitive list off the top of their head of places to eat in BT after 10. Personally, I just assumed every place would be open, but maybe that really isn't the case.

autoMATTic
04-06-2009, 12:28 PM
I am often surprised by the ignorance of locals on the matters of what there is to do in Oklahoma City. I have had several conversations with restaurant operators that say they have to actively train their staff about what there is to do and see in Oklahoma City, so that they can be knowledgeable when their customers ask for advice. It often seems like the people who live here and say that there is nothing to do here are simply people who don't do anything and it's unfortunately fairly common. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of locals think Bricktown is IHOP and Hooters...

Sadly, you are accurate. I almost feel embarrassed at times that I am constantly "teaching" people about their own city. A city they have lived in for decades. I often have to remind myself that many people are not as interested in "civic pride" as I am. Give them their guitar hero and some Chipotle and they could not care less where they are. It is frustrating.

OKCMallen
04-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Here's part of the problem, from Jason Quick's answers (http://blog.newsok.com/okccentral/2009/04/05/james-quick-answers/):

And really, after almost 40 posts on this topic, no one has added a definitive list off the top of their head of places to eat in BT after 10. Personally, I just assumed every place would be open, but maybe that really isn't the case.

I think it's pretty hard to do. Places I assume still serve some kind of food at that point: Bolero, In the Raw, Toby Keith's, Sonic, Falcone's, Deep Deuce Grill (cheating, I know), Hooters, IHOP, Brix, Bourbon Street (?)...

okcpulse
04-06-2009, 01:07 PM

And really, after almost 40 posts on this topic, no one has added a definitive list off the top of their head of places to eat in BT after 10. Personally, I just assumed every place would be open, but maybe that really isn't the case.

I used to have a list compiled, but after being away from OKC as a resident for 3 1/2 years, I know things have changed. However, I am going to remedy that.

However, establishments located in entertainment districts or neighborhoods are usually the exception and if most restaurants in Bricktown aren't even at least staying open to 12 on game nights, weekends, and concert nights, then we have a problem.

I agree wholeheartedly. That is why we really should listen to this guy and take inventory. These restaurant owners may give us a lecture on "how things run" in their world, but why sell Bricktown as a nightlife entertainment district with no eateries open past 10PM except for one or two spots? On non-game and event nights for now, I can understand. But on game and event nights, they better damn-well be keeping their kitchens open, or close up shop if they aren't willing to compete or at least get creative.

If Oklahoma City wants to be taken seriously as a destination, local business owners had better get on board and stop half-assing things.

Steve
04-06-2009, 01:21 PM
I think both sides are off on this one. Quick didn't do enough to find out what's really open. Bricktown and Downtown OKC didn't do enough to tell people like Quick what's open.
Now's the time for Lackmeyer to be provocative again.

Richard at Remax
04-06-2009, 01:24 PM
I agree that on gamenights places should stay open later. I only know toby kieths is open late for food because they do a post game show there for the sports animal

warreng88
04-06-2009, 01:41 PM
Quotes from Steve's blog:

Q: Did you ask any locals about what places might be open and serving food after the game?

A: The search for a place to eat was on the night prior to the game, after arriving in town (Thursday), but no, didn’t ask any locals. Having been to OKC before, I knew downtown was a ghostown and that Bricktown was my best bet. Talked to several “locals” as we walked the streets of Bricktown, most of them bouncers or doormen at various establishments who said they - and all the other establishments - were done serving food at 9 p.m.

I find it very interesting he says he didn't ask any locals, then he claims he talked to "locals" that were doormen and bouncers. Those guys aren't supposed to 100% fluent on what is and isn't going on in BT. They should be worried about things getting out of hand at the establishment they are guarding, checking ID's, etc. Also, he says he "knew Dt was a ghostown" and didn't go out of his way to find something to do, just (like a lot of people have posted) reaffirming his thoughts.

Q: Did you do any Internet research on downtown Oklahoma City?

A: Didn’t do any internet research.

So you didn't do any research, you didn't ask the concierge, you didn't ask locals, you asked a couple of bouncers and doormen and came to your conclusion.. Uh, ok.

BDP
04-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Actually, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the most visible employees of local establishments to at least be knowledgeable about what is going on in the district in which they work. I realize it's not really their job description, but wait staff, hosts, and doormen are who outsiders interact with the most, or at least they are the ones guaranteed to interact with visitors. I know that in a lot of my travels, the best and most knowledgeable recommendations have come from people in the service industry like cab drivers and waiters. If anything our restaurants and attractions should be comping these people to try and court their recommendations.

I'm not trying to defend this guy as much as try and take something constructive away from this. In fact, I think to have a strong entertainment district and tourist business in general, you almost have to cater to this kind of mentality. We have more tools to change minds than we have ever had and we have a better opportunity than we have ever had to capitalize on these new assets due to the more frequent exposure to national media that having an NBA team brings. This guy may be a tool, but he was a customer that we failed to satisfy and he, unfortunately, had the power to publicize his dissatisfaction, which is more and more common these days with blogs, travel sites, and even boards like this.

Thunder
04-06-2009, 03:10 PM
I think it's pretty hard to do. Places I assume still serve some kind of food at that point: Bolero, In the Raw, Toby Keith's, Sonic, Falcone's, Deep Deuce Grill (cheating, I know), Hooters, IHOP, Brix, Bourbon Street (?)...

You forgot McDonald's! :omg:

Karried
04-06-2009, 03:17 PM
I think we should just tell him that we are on a City Wide diet and everyone knows you shouldn't eat after 7 pm.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Thunder
04-06-2009, 03:57 PM
I think we should just tell him that we are on a City Wide diet and everyone knows you shouldn't eat after 7 pm.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

That can't be said for the overnight workers, their nights are literally days.

dismayed
04-06-2009, 08:08 PM
I think the writer exaggerated a bit, but honestly I understand where he's coming from. I'm kind of a night owl, and I can't tell you the number of times I've gone to Bricktown to find no one serving food. Here are some examples: BricktownOKC.com says that Chelino's is open every day until 11 p.m. One night I got there with friends at 9:45 p.m. and they were already closed. I told the door greater "that's odd because your website says 11" and they just stared blankly at me. Went over to Abuelo's and they were already closed up. Walked to Coach's and they were closed and looked like they had been for quite a while. Walked around the corner to the Brewery and they said that although they were still open they were about to stop serving food and/or were going to their "late night" menu, which basically means bar appetizers. The nicer restaurants were already shuttered up. Mickey Mantle's was still open.

Honestly this is a huge pet peve of mine... restaurants that advertise and claim to be open to a certain time but simply shut their doors whenever the hell they feel like it. I understand, some days are slow days. But Bricktown apparently has a lot of them. With so little confidence in the district being open later at night for dining, I almost never go there. It is kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Sorry if you disagree, but these are facts. Anecdotal perhaps, since it is just my experience, but I really do hope that some of the Bricktown business owners are reading this because it is a real problem. The only nights that the district is guaranteed to be open are Friday and Saturday nights... but again it is a chicken and the egg thing I am sure.

Karried
04-06-2009, 08:16 PM
I've had the same experience.

kevinpate
04-06-2009, 08:21 PM
In another life time I was in food service. if someone comes in at 5 minutes shy of closing, you seat them, you fill their order and then you deal with it.

That simple perspective worked well save for one night that did not go so well. No, scratch that. even that night went well on the whole. Everyone lived, insurance covered the loss, I got up in an insensitive officer's face and dinna go to jail for it, thanks to his partner realizing Barney was in need of an arse chewing. It went well enough.

dismayed
04-06-2009, 08:57 PM
I'm glad you remained among the free. :-)

Yeah I remember those days too. I was really surprised with Chelino's not seating us when we got there 1 hour and 15 minutes before closing. I guess the times have changed.

jbrown84
04-08-2009, 09:44 PM
As sort of the unofficial concierge at one of the downtown hotels, I can say that this is a problem and we should take it as constructive criticism, even if it wasn't presented that way and even if the guy could have been a little more educated.

I have people in from LA or New York that expect to be able to go to a sit down restaurant at 10:30 on Monday night. I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing that they actually expect that. But there really aren't a lot of options late at night. At a decent hour though, I think we have an impressive list of options, and people are usually very pleased with places like Red, Trattoria, La Luna, Brix, etc. We just need to get them to stay open later!

Honestly this is a huge pet peve of mine... restaurants that advertise and claim to be open to a certain time but simply shut their doors whenever the hell they feel like it.

Yeah this is very frustrating. I see it alot too.

If anything our restaurants and attractions should be comping these people to try and court their recommendations.

Some are doing this. I know for a fact that Mickey Mantle's is. They are also doing the best at catering to the late night dining crowd, specifically on game nights. I had some NBA players that wanted upscale dining after their game around 11:00 and Mickey Mantle's was the only option I could find. Mantel, Nonna's, Red were all shutting down the kitchen by 10.

dcsooner
04-09-2009, 06:45 AM
I am a Oklahoma native, just left Oklahoma City on yesterday (after attending the last three home losses for the Thunder) for a return to DC. The article by the Oregonian writer is NOT FAR OFF. DT OKC is not typical of MAJOR cities. It is DEAD on weekdays after about 7-8PM. Let’s be honest, OKC is still a big town not a MAJOR city (the airport is pathetic for a city). I was disappointed in the supposed "progress" being made in the city. Maybe one day life will come to DT and for that matter the entire city, but right now Oklahoma City is a relatively slow paced, blue collar vs upscale, suburban vs urban, wanna be place, that has big pickup trucks, big women, and little to do (except eat) for those who are looking for after hours entertainment or shopping. The truth does hurt.

BDP
04-09-2009, 08:44 AM
It is kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

This is very true, too. There often seems to be a bit of entitlement amongst bricktown businesses. They want it to be jammed all the time, but they are not willing to do what it takes to help make it that way, even on the 40+ nights a year they are handed 18,000 potential customers at 10pm. It's like they don't even realize they totally control the fate of the district and that whatever happens is really their responsibility at this point.

They almost should get together and agree that everyone will be open and seating guests for at least an hour after games and other Ford Center events. Maybe even start their own campaign as THE place for late night or at least post-event dining in Oklahoma City. I mean, I don't know about you, but I just can't imagine knowing exactly when thousands of potential customers will be located within a few blocks of my business and not only doing nothing to try and get their business, but CLOSING my doors to them. It's crazy.

I wouldn't even think it that bad if it was all appetizers or limited service, at least at first. They really need to do a gut check on this and realize that hey, BT now has the benefit of a major tenant that they always wanted and lobbied for just a few blocks away and they aren't even trying to take advantage of it.

autoMATTic
04-09-2009, 08:45 AM
(the airport is pathetic for a city). .

Really? Explain.

Richard at Remax
04-09-2009, 09:03 AM
It's our first real year. I agree that all Btown, MidTown, and AA should get together and agree to serve food til 11. Cause most games get out around 9:30 give or take. And advertise during the 3rd or 4th quarter of games on the video board or the video strip that goes around the arena.

There is a lot to learn and things will get better.

And our airport is pretty nice. Not that big but I expect the expansion to be done within the next 6-7 years.

metro
04-09-2009, 09:13 AM
I think you all are still missing the point. The bloggers point was that it was the night BEFORE the game. We all know there are more options the night of events, but what about non-event nights? I still go back to BDP's idea and Cowan needs to step it up a notch and really suggest that "x" Bricktown businesses agree to be open until at least 11pm weekdays, regardless on if there is a game or concert.

DelCamino
04-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Promotion of one's business shouldn't have to be left to other people, such as Cowan and the Bricktown Assn, DOKC, or the Chamber.

Businessmean and entrepreneurs should be savvy enough to understand their market and to what it takes to ensure their business succeeds. For years, Bricktown merchants have waited on others to to it for them.

Any and everything to get folks to your restaurant, should be the call. Make sure all the downtown hotels/concierges have current menus and know the hours of your restaurant. Host a monthly dinner for the concierges so they know what your about. Hire someone to wear an old fashioned sandwich sign and walk up and down Reno Avenue on game nights before and after the game/event. And...be aware that times of operation must change to suit your clientele. It's hard work, but the payoff is worth it.