View Full Version : The Target on Expressway and Rockwell that was tornadoed

Joe Kimball
04-03-2009, 09:12 AM
Firstly, you may finish your drinks (if you've got them) per my subject. ;)

What's the status of the Target aforementioned? Last month I think I remember a skip or two still placed in front.

metro
04-03-2009, 09:12 AM
It opened last week.

Joe Kimball
04-03-2009, 09:21 AM
Good deal! Was it heavily announced? Because I totally missed it.

metro
04-03-2009, 09:27 AM
Well, they had a big banner on the building saying opening whatever date was last Friday. My wife and I stopped in to get a few things, the store was VERY bare. It was just an odd feeling. I talked to the cashier and asked when they were going to restock, etc. He said they were supposed to before opening but they couldn't get 16 trucks unpacked in time, so I imagine they have a much bigger selection now than they did a week ago today.

redcup
04-03-2009, 11:25 PM
So that is why it seemed so bare...I was there today...and was surprised at the empty shelves. I usually do to the one on NW 50th, but was in the area today and stopped at the Rockwell Target. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Thunder
04-04-2009, 01:38 AM
Was there anyone ever get to see the actual damage? The frickin news copper didn't give us the view from top of the store. All I've seen was the front of the store (didnt really see damage), and castaway carts.

I would like to see the actual damage of the roof toward the backend of the store is what I heard was the actual damage of the building.

oneforone
04-04-2009, 02:47 AM
I drove by their a week after the storm hit. The Southwest corner of the roof was heavily damaged. From what I understood the store was flooded from all the rain that hit that same day.

kevinpate
04-04-2009, 04:21 AM
Never saw the store, but if it was damaged in similar fashion to other structure damage along the path, it wouldn't have been pretty. I've involved with a small project NNE of there, a tad off of Coffee Creek and Kelley. Some of that neighborhood took a strong whack as well.

metro
04-06-2009, 07:44 AM
Coffee Creek and Kelly is more than NNE from there. It's in Edmond. This is on far WEST NW Expressway.

violeteyes
04-06-2009, 10:09 AM
Ah yes, the store so affectionally dubbed the "Pee Target." It always smelled like urine in there. Like an old man peed in the ventilation ducts or something. I wonder if it still does.

Joe Kimball
04-06-2009, 03:39 PM
Ah yes, the store so affectionally dubbed the "Pee Target." It always smelled like urine in there. Like an old man peed in the ventilation ducts or something. I wonder if it still does.

When was this?

metro
04-07-2009, 08:37 AM
Yeah sorry, I grew up in that area almost my whole life and never heard anyone call it that.

julieriggs
04-07-2009, 10:38 AM
I usually drive behind this Target to get to my gym. Although I couldn't see any of the actual damage, I did see employees throwing mass quantities of good looking merchandise into the dumpster... presumably water damage. If I had a baby at home, I would have been trying to dry a nice new (soggy) stroller with a hair dryer!

Thunder
04-07-2009, 10:14 PM
I hope that people out there stopped by the store during the night to get those free merchandises. I think it's pathetic for Target to throw them out rather than giving back to the community, say those that was actually affected by the tornado.

PennyQuilts
04-08-2009, 04:30 AM
I hope that people out there stopped by the store during the night to get those free merchandises. I think it's pathetic for Target to throw them out rather than giving back to the community, say those that was actually affected by the tornado.

Who was so affected by the tornado that they needed free stuff that was headed for the dumpster? I can see giving it to the poor if liability allowed it but I hadn't heard there was some disaster that so affected the community that it would be pathetic to not give them stuff.

scootinger
04-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Who was so affected by the tornado that they needed free stuff that was headed for the dumpster? I can see giving it to the poor if liability allowed it but I hadn't heard there was some disaster that so affected the community that it would be pathetic to not give them stuff.

I would say it's not so much a matter of helping victims of a disaster as it is a matter of not being wasteful. It's just terrible for them to throw out lots of (likely) good merchandise simply because they "can't" do anything else with it. Hopefully someone did go and dumpster-dive the store if there was good merchandise in there! I've gone DD'ing on occasion and found some fairly decent stuff. However, I always thought that stores like Target usually had locked trash-compactors....but maybe they had a couple of dumpsters to clean up the damaged store.

But I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of their inventory went to a liquidation company like Walls, which will take inventory from water/fire damage and sell it at their stores....I really doubt that Target just dumped all of the store's inventory in the dumpster.

Thunder
04-08-2009, 01:16 PM
I'm not sure if Target deals with Walls. They're too uptight, thinking they're all that and doesn't want to mess with anything inferior to them.

Yeah, one time, we had changed a lot in the furniture department and a lot of the displays (which they're real, out of the box, set up to show on shelves) were thrown out to trash. We couldn't take home what we wanted. Sadly, we had to watch them being crushed by the compactor.

tburn
04-08-2009, 02:52 PM
I've bought Archer Farms products at Walls in the past.
So I think Target stuff can end up there at times.

Thunder
04-08-2009, 06:41 PM
The management at that Target store screwed up. They know what Walls and Goodwill is. They failed to donate the items. If people was dumpster diving behind the store and ends up getting hurt, Target could be in trouble for allowing unsafe enviroment to be an open invitation to the public.

scootinger
04-08-2009, 09:19 PM
No, Target definitely does do business with Walls...or some way or another their stuff ends up there. I've seen a lot of their private-label products, and some stuff with Target pricetags sold at the Walls store here.

As for what they did with the merchandise...I'm not sure how exactly that would work, but I would think that the company's corporate offices would have some say in that. I don't know how badly water-damaged that particular store was, but I don't see them dumping a bunch of expensive electronics in a dumpster without trying to see if they might be able to get at least some $ out of it (or maybe their insurance company would be the one doing that). Maybe they were just throwing out items like food that weren't really worth saving?