View Full Version : weed control

bunchakids
04-03-2009, 06:46 AM
Our lawn is being over run by weeds! Anyone know a good weed control company that charges reasonable prices and not get me into some kind of "7 step" contract? Or is it just better off to do it myself?

drumsncode
04-03-2009, 08:19 AM
You can spend a LOT of money hiring it done. If you don't mind walking over your entire yard carefully a few times in a year, just go to Home Depot or Lowe's and get a one or two gallon sprayer, and some RoundUp and some Weed-B-Gone.

Read the labels carefully! One kills everything green, the other kills just weeds.

I love RoundUp when spot-sprayed. One a good day, it turns the weed black within hours.

Jesseda
04-03-2009, 10:09 AM
had the same thing, I went with scotts lawn service and i signed up for 8 treatments in one year, well they sprayed my lawn about 8 days ago, I swear i could have heard my weeds giggling after the spray, well non of them died, so I went and got some roundup, and it seems to be doing pretty good, its sad, that i have 7 more treatments , but it might get better, i cant judge scotts just yet, but there weed killing stuff works very slow..

Thunder
04-04-2009, 01:43 AM
Lawn Don's

Mom didn't have a problem with them for years until the last treatment, the weeds started to pop up. I figured they're cutting the amount of chemicals and adding more water due to the ecomony. Still, she complained and they came out again and resprayed.

Always keep close watch on them spraying and making sure they spray completely. Don't let them leave if the yard looks spotty (light and dark colored dyes randomly across the yard).

kevinpate
04-04-2009, 04:23 AM
DYI and use the savings for something fun

stick47
04-05-2009, 10:20 AM
Weed killers don't work well if the weather is cool. Also some advise that you water them in to be the most effective. I've had 3 or 4 lawn services over the years and they're all about the same. Only as good as the tech that does the treatment. All of them have been heppy to return and apply again if the service wasn't satisfactory. The big advantage to DIY is that you can coordinate the treatment with the weather. Always apply any treatments that need watered in just before it's supposed to rain. That saves on the water bill and does a better job of distributing the material than you can do with your lawn sprinkers.
As for the costs, I'm paying about 6 cents per Sq Ft for 6 treatments with TruGreen this year.

Bobby821
04-08-2009, 03:19 PM
Just get a goat problem solved..

OKCMallen
04-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Weed killers don't work well if the weather is cool. Also some advise that you water them in to be the most effective. I've had 3 or 4 lawn services over the years and they're all about the same. Only as good as the tech that does the treatment. All of them have been heppy to return and apply again if the service wasn't satisfactory. The big advantage to DIY is that you can coordinate the treatment with the weather. Always apply any treatments that need watered in just before it's supposed to rain. That saves on the water bill and does a better job of distributing the material than you can do with your lawn sprinkers.
As for the costs, I'm paying about 6 cents per Sq Ft for 6 treatments with TruGreen this year.

This. You're supposed to wait until the season's first green-up before using the DIY stuff. My lawn hasn't fully greened yet, so I'm waiting...and just mowing weeds for now.

bigjkt405
04-09-2009, 10:37 AM
I'm in this same boat, along with a pocket gopher problem..... any help

stick47
04-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Get one of those yellow and white cone shaped containers of poison pellets at Ace Hdwe. Hasn't ever failed to eradicte gophers for me.

Bobby821
04-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Get one of those yellow and white cone shaped containers of poison pellets at Ace Hdwe. Hasn't ever failed to eradicte gophers for me.

Don't kill the precious little gophers, what did they ever do to you??

stick47
04-09-2009, 01:25 PM
280 posts of wasting others time. I'm sorry you don't have better things to do.

Bobby821
04-09-2009, 01:36 PM
280 posts of wasting others time. I'm sorry you don't have better things to do.

I am serious why kill the little gophers? they will move on eventually kinda like a prarie dog town but made of gophers.

bigjkt405
04-09-2009, 01:55 PM
At one point I had 18 (YES 18) gopher mounds in my front yard. That is only my front yard. They have built them up around my foundation, middle of the yard, flower beds, everywhere. I want them gone. If I have to kill them, so be it.

Thunder
04-09-2009, 03:08 PM
I want them gone. If I have to kill them, so be it.

Animal cruelty!

There are humane ways to deter pests and rodents. Look them up!

stick47
04-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Don't listen to those bleeding hearts! When all those gophers die they're carcasses will really green up your lawn. (all natural fertilizer too!!)