View Full Version : Drug problems in schools

LIL_WAYNE_4_PREZIDENT08
04-02-2009, 09:59 AM
At a school I formerly attended it seemed like anything anyone ever talked about was doing/selling drugs...

This isnt even a bad school so I kno it worse at other schools.

What do you think about the drug problems in schools and what we can do to stop this?

nik4411
04-02-2009, 10:50 AM
They are bad and haven't gotten better in years. This is such a huge nationwide problem that seems almost impossible to fight and win. I wish I had the answer.

Luke
04-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Parents need to be parents and we'd see the drug problem decline.

Nermel
04-02-2009, 10:53 AM
Forcibly drug testing students certainly isn't the answer.

Thunder
04-02-2009, 11:20 AM
How about setting up a program that require all the students to be tested before the 1st school day each year and randomly select students to be tested during the whole school year. Anyone refusing or fail the test will be expelled from school and sent to boot camp.

PennyQuilts
04-02-2009, 02:27 PM
The only thing I know of that remotely works with drug users in the court system is therapy and regular drug screens. Granted, this is a different population.

Midtowner
04-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Forcibly drug testing students certainly isn't the answer.

Hah.. yeah. Funny how the one thing which 100% would work is "certainly [not] the answer."

Of course, I don't balk at something like this because it's intrusive. I don't think kids in schools really have much at all insofar as an expectation of privacy. I'd balk at the cost-benefit of something like that.

scootinger
04-04-2009, 10:19 PM
The school has no business as to what students are doing on their own time outside of school, so I am against forcibly drug-testing students. (Not to mention that it would be a waste of $$$.)

However, if students are dealing/using drugs on campus, then that's an entirely different matter. I would say not to get too crazy about it (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/24/us/24savana.html?partner=rss&emc=rss)...but our children could be carrying IBUPROFEN!!!

LIL_WAYNE_4_PREZIDENT08
04-04-2009, 10:49 PM
There was a lot of drug dealing/using when i was at school

Kids ditching class to go to the parking lot and smoke

I remember one time walking down the hall when i look down and see weed scattered all over the floor

PennyQuilts
04-05-2009, 06:01 AM
The school has no business as to what students are doing on their own time outside of school, so I am against forcibly drug-testing students. (Not to mention that it would be a waste of $$$.)

However, if students are dealing/using drugs on campus, then that's an entirely different matter. I would say not to get too crazy about it (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/24/us/24savana.html?partner=rss&emc=rss)...but our children could be carrying IBUPROFEN!!!

As a parent, I wasn't too concerned about my kids being tested if it helped the overall school catch the ones who come to class stoned. That they do it off campus or before school still means that they are stoned in class and that doesn't help the school environment. I see parents all the time more worried that their little darlings won't be treated fairly instead of understanding that we are all in this together and it won't work if we don't address it head on.

If the rules say don't carry ibuprofen, don't carry it. I see parents constantly argue about the rules when they'd be better parents if they spent their energy teaching (and modeling) for their kids that there are standards of behavior and rules and their job is to find out what they are and follow them. Complaining that they don't agree with the rules just undermines the school's authority. Go to the school board if it is that important. If not, shut up and support the admininstration.

Don't mean to have a testy tone or be offensive. It is just that it seems like the parents I see, these days, constantly feel like their kids are put upon and they complain about EVERYTHING - it is just such a drain on the educational experience. Schools won't get better until parents start realizing that they have a responsibility to the group or it just won't work.

Thunder
04-05-2009, 08:39 AM
I had Ibuprofens and Lortabs in school. Now, that was definately legal, since I had torn ACL ligament back in Junior High, and then again in High School. The surgeries was horrorific!

PennyQuilts
04-05-2009, 11:09 AM
I had Ibuprofens and Lortabs in school. Now, that was definately legal, since I had torn ACL ligament back in Junior High, and then again in High School. The surgeries was horrorific!

My son has had torn ACL's three times (2 on one knee, one on the other). He'd agree with you on the pain. Sorry you had to do that. Hope you got a good result.

LIL_WAYNE_4_PREZIDENT08
04-05-2009, 11:16 AM
Why are yalls knees so weak?

3 times an 2 times

PennyQuilts
04-05-2009, 11:22 AM
Son played soccer all the time, skied, played basketball - great athlete. Now, at 33, he is crippled up. I hate to see it. He swims and bikes for exercise but it is hard to see someone so athletic be limited, otherwise. He has a hard time walking very far. I hope arthritis doesn't set in. I'm 51 and one of those fortunate people who doesn't even have aches and pains. Truly blessed. Injuries suck. You hate to see that happen to your kids.

nik4411
04-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Yea I just had ACL and meniscus surgery barely 3 weeks ago. Still on crutches. It sucks! 3 and 2 times that is terrible. I hope it never happens to me again.

Uh oh this thread is changing courses

Thunder
04-05-2009, 03:16 PM
I actually had injured it 3 times. The final time was in college.

The first time, just the ACL torn.

The second time, the ACL and cartiage repair.

The third time, the ACL and a long scar to tighten the muscle on the side.

All of our knees is weak to certain extent. We can injure them easily. It's a common sports injury.