View Full Version : Taste of the Majors comes to Bricktown ballpark

metro
04-02-2009, 07:19 AM
A taste of the majors comes to Bricktown
by Ted Streuli
The Journal Record April 2, 2009

OKLAHOMA CITY – No need to go to Beantown for a Fenway Frank. No reason to fight the freeway for a Dodger Dog. A taste of the major leagues is coming to The Brick.

The Oklahoma City RedHawks will launch a marketing campaign Thursday that will remind potential ticket buyers just how close they are to major league baseball.“Every year we look at what we can do that’s a little different,” said RedHawks Executive Director John Allgood. “This year we started thinking about our connection to classic baseball.”

A fan survey showed Oklahoma City baseball fans root for a variety of major league teams, most notably the Yankees, Cardinals, Cubs and Dodgers. The Texas Rangers, the RedHawks’ major league affiliate and geographically the nearest major league team, ranked fifth.
“There are a lot of fans here who enjoy the tradition of baseball,” Allgood said.

That led the RedHawks staff to the idea of bringing a taste of the big leagues to the AT&T Bricktown Ballpark. Each homestand will feature the food and feel of one of the nation’s classic baseball venues, right down to some former big league stars.

“Part of the allure is, quite literally, the taste of the big leagues,” said the RedHawks’ new director of brand development, Kevin McMillan. “It speaks to the heart and soul of the baseball fan.”

The ballpark’s food service contractor, Centerplate, cooperated on the food, which will be so authentic some ingredients will be imported from their native cities. Each theme will extend beyond the food to an overall feel at the ballpark. During the first homestand, Yankee fans will appreciate the large bat at the main gate modeled after the iconic smokestack at Yankee Stadium. Fans will find other New York touches, too, including subway stops, street performers and Yankee field logos to go with the Nathan’s hot dogs, baked ziti and Italian meatball subs at the concession stands.

Former major leaguers Bill Buckner, Steve Garvey, Andre Dawson and other players to be named later will make appearances during the homestands that tie to their teams.

The RedHawks will be donning new uniforms and sporting a new logo this year.
All that will help sell tickets and entice more ticket holders to come to games, Allgood said. In the RedHawks’ 11 years in Oklahoma City, season ticket sales have remained steady, but Allgood said the club has a lot of fans who attend three games or fewer. And like most sports franchises, only about 60 percent of ticket holders attend each game, which hurts per capita revenue.
In 2009, the RedHawks will market a lot more than peanuts and Cracker Jack.
“The philosophy is that you’re not just coming to a baseball game,” Allgood said. “You’re coming to a magical place.”

The lineup

New York – Yankee Stadium
April 17-24 and July 4-12
Nathan’s Hot Dogs, Baked ziti, Italian meatball subs

Chicago – Wrigley Field
April 30-May 7 and July 24-27
Old Style beer, Chicago dogs, Mother-in-Law sandwiches

Philadelphia – Citizens Bank Ballpark
May 12-18
Authentic Philly cheesesteak sandwiches, The Schmitter, crab fries

St. Louis – Busch Stadium
May 29–June 5
Toasted ravioli, garlic-parmesan fries, Cajun seasoned fries, bratzels

Los Angeles – Dodger Stadium
June 15-26
Dodger Dogs, gourmet pretzels, garlic fries
Boston – Fenway Park
Fenway Franks, lobster rolls, Italian sausages

Best of the Best
Aug. 31–Sept. 3
Milwaukee brats, Cincinnati chili cheese Coney dogs, Seattle Sea Dogs, Dodger Dogs

The Journal Record - Article (http://www.journalrecord.com/article.cfm?recid=97332)

LIL_WAYNE_4_PREZIDENT08
04-02-2009, 09:32 AM
dude awesome I hope we sell out every game

NativeOkie
04-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Angel stadium has some of the best food.
Sushi, for example
San Diego Padres you can get fish tacos.

onthestrip
04-02-2009, 04:13 PM
For the last couple of years they have had the hot dog stand with several different dogs including the Milwaukee brats and Cincinnati cheese coney. Nothing beats the home thursday games, dollar beers, a Hideaway slice of pie, and a Cincinnate cheese coney make me a very satisfied fan.

John
04-04-2009, 01:34 AM
Hope they still have the 'Dog Pound' (or whatever they called it) still. It was nice changing it up every time you go to the park/get a dog.

metro
04-06-2009, 07:47 AM
Angel stadium has some of the best food.
Sushi, for example
San Diego Padres you can get fish tacos.

Ah yes, nothing like Classic Americana of yesterday like hot sunny day, baseball and hotdogs, uh I mean sushi.......

NativeOkie
04-06-2009, 05:55 PM
Ah yes, nothing like Classic Americana of yesterday like hot sunny day, baseball and hotdogs, uh I mean sushi.......

One has to remember a hot day here is 10 degrees above normal and a cold was is 10 degrees below normal.

metro
04-07-2009, 08:40 AM
I know, I was just out there again about 2 months ago, but still sushi and baseball is just wrong.

Celebrator
04-17-2009, 07:50 PM
Brilliant promotion! I am just sorry I won't live in OKC by the time they have the Busch Stadium days...I am a huge Cards fan.
I am so excited for minor league baseball! I currently live in Orlando and I have been told that it is the largest market in the country with NO professional baseball. NONE! We used to have the Orlando Rays (AA for TB Rays) and then they moved to Mobile or something because no one was willing to drive down to WDW (35 min. SW of downtown Orlando) to see the games. I used to work at the stadium at Disney and some nights we only had 200 fans in a park built for 10,000. It was sad, so...the team left.

What's average attendance at the Brick?

Anyway, my RedHawks hat came in the mail today and I will wear it proudly down here until I move over the summer. I am your newest RedHawks fan and I'm representing here in Orlando.

onthestrip
04-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Had the baked ziti the other night. It was some of the best ballgame food ive had anywhere.

bluedogok
04-26-2009, 08:40 PM
No need to go to Beantown for a Fenway Frank.
We each had one Friday night at the game, they are nowhere close to the real thing. We are headed up to Boston sometime this season again for a game and have a real one.

AAC2005
04-27-2009, 10:08 AM
Hmmm...I should have come to OKCTalk before going to my first Redhawks game this past Friday. I was wondering what was up with all the New York references, since the Redhawks represent the Rangers - now I know!

No mention of a "Camden Yards" homestand event thingy...are you skeered of crabcakes and pit beef? Huh? Are Ya? Hon?

As far as the rest of the park goes: I liked it a lot, even though the 'Hawks lost. It's small but not cramped, and surprisingly easy to get around once you're inside. I hope the young lady who took a foul ball to the back of the head is okay!

El Gato Pollo Loco!!!
04-28-2009, 09:41 AM
No mention of a "Camden Yards" homestand event thingy...are you skeered of crabcakes and pit beef? Huh? Are Ya? Hon?...

Maybe they're working on getting Boog Powell into town to make an appearence. http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/4.gif:D:D

bluedogok
04-28-2009, 06:29 PM
I have had Maryland crab cakes in season there, I wouldn't want an imitation out of season one in this part of the country.

AFCM
04-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Every time I hear the phrase Taste of the Majors, I envision a public speech (rant) offered by Jim Traber.