View Full Version : Briarwood Amusement Park

Steve
03-30-2009, 07:55 AM
I'm told it was once an amusement park in OKC.

amaesquire
03-30-2009, 09:31 AM
I bet Doug will have an answer.

Generals64
03-30-2009, 02:08 PM
How about Wedgewood????remember that a whole lot...Where was Briarwood????

SoonerGirl26
04-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Steve....you might check the Oklahoman Archives in April 1913. There is a reference to "Briarwood Park" being the new recreation park on the N. Canadian river near the "El Reno interurban line". It had croquet and picnic areas. There was no mention of it being an amusement park. However one article talks about concession stands being washed away in a heavy rain.

~~~

papaOU
04-05-2009, 04:46 PM
:pat_head:
Steve....you might check the Oklahoman Archives in April 1913. There is a reference to "Briarwood Park" being the new recreation park on the N. Canadian river near the "El Reno interurban line". It had croquet and picnic areas. There was no mention of it being an amusement park. However one article talks about concession stands being washed away in a heavy rain.

~~~

Hey girl! Do you have an account allowing you to research The Oklahoman Archives" or do you know a way through the backdoor?

Steve
04-05-2009, 04:50 PM
Hmmm. Maybe it was a part of Delmar Gardens?

SoonerGirl26
04-05-2009, 04:51 PM
:pat_head:

Hey girl! Do you have an account allowing you to research The Oklahoman Archives" or do you know a way through the backdoor?

I have an account with them that I pay for....not sure there is a backdoor way to get to the archives. You got something you want me to research for you??

~~~

drumsncode
04-05-2009, 06:29 PM
The only two names that popped into my head were Wedgewood and Springlake. I lived near Wedgewood, but I can't for the life of me remember where Springlake was.

SoonerGirl26
04-05-2009, 06:44 PM
The only two names that popped into my head were Wedgewood and Springlake. I lived near Wedgewood, but I can't for the life of me remember where Springlake was.

Springlake was on N. Eastern where Metro Tech is now.

~~~

Martin
04-05-2009, 07:25 PM
do you have an account allowing you to research the oklahoman archives" or do you know a way through the backdoor?

you can use your library card to get in for free @ www.metrolibrary.org (http://www.metrolibrary.org)

-M

Generals64
04-05-2009, 07:25 PM
Springlake was on N. Eastern where Metro Tech is now.

~~~

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
SPRINGLAKE, that was a great place to go to. Nothing like today's mega parks but, the entire family could have a good time and a good laugh....I still remember the Sack slide and waiting for the girls to go past the air blowers....The Arcade....Does anyone have any of the penny cards you could get out there??? First real kiss at Springlake.....OMG.....was friends with the girl all the rest of our school years together and not shortly after Graduation, she was killed in a car accident.....Nice Girl....One of those NO ONE could say anything BAD about....

papaOU
04-05-2009, 08:07 PM
I have an account with them that I pay for....not sure there is a backdoor way to get to the archives. You got something you want me to research for you??

~~~

No thanks. I was just curious. Thanks again.:tiphat:

papaOU
04-05-2009, 08:45 PM
I remember when I was a kid there was a place directly south of 29th from the Trosper Park Golf course. They only had kiddie rides: small ferris wheel, a train...................Don't know the name of it or if it even had one.

Generals64
04-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Hey, if you guys will look on the Capitol Hill Pics that were posted, you'll see pictures of the Delmar Gardens and the Amusement park attached to it....Maybe that could be the Briarwood Park...

Prunepicker
04-14-2009, 08:05 PM
Hey, if you guys will look on the Capitol Hill Pics that were posted, you'll see
pictures of the Delmar Gardens and the Amusement park attached to
it... Maybe that could be the Briarwood Park...

Wasn't Delmar Garden's at or near the Farmer's Market at the turn of last century, 1900?

Generals64
04-14-2009, 08:18 PM
Wasn't Delmar Garden's at or near the Farmer's Market at the turn of last century, 1900?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yessir...I think that was part of OKC then also....the pictures that Loudenback posted shows and amusement park..There...