View Full Version : North OKC Identity Crisis

LakeEffect
03-28-2009, 10:31 AM
I'm starting this thread as a result of the Jimmy Johns article which stated that the new Jimmy Johns in Flat Iron is the first in OKC, which is not technically true. The Jimmy Johns on Memorial Road is in OKC City limits, but few people realize it.

Same goes with many of my friends who live north of Memorial between Portland and Western. Most of the residents of this section of Ward 8 associate themselves with Edmond, not OKC.

My question is - is that mis-association an issue? Should it be?

Steve
03-28-2009, 10:34 AM
No, I don't think Jimmy Johns is. I went to OC, and OC is carved out to be part of OKC. But my understanding from my city hall days is the area immediately east, west and north of the campus is in Edmond.
But that said, either way, that's why there's an identity crisis in that area.
EDIT: Well, I just scanned the ward map. It appears as if the "stub" north of Memorial goes farther than I thought: I thought it started and ended with the campus. But apparently it goes from Eastern to Coltrane. So yes, technically, on the reference to Jimmy John's, the one next to OC would be in Oklahoma City after all.
ONE MORE NOTE: I was surprised to see this stub is in Ward 7, not Ward 8.

Ward map link: http://www.okc.gov/council/WardMap/wardmap.pdf

bristolscene
03-28-2009, 10:44 AM
I don't know about Jimmy Johns but I do know that confusion also arises from postal custom. The Post Office does not use city limits as their guide in their addressing. There are people who reside in Oklahoma City city limits but have Edmond post addresses. That trips a lot of people up.

windowphobe
03-28-2009, 10:46 AM
The Oklahoma City post office does not deliver anywhere north of 150th, so there are rather a lot of city residents who think of themselves as Edmondites, no matter who sends them the utility bill.

Karried
03-28-2009, 11:36 AM
My zip and address says Edmond, our schools are Edmond, therefore I guess I live in Edmond.

But, we get OKC Utilities? I don't know why.

Best of both worlds I think. Utilities are cheaper I've heard.

LakeEffect
03-28-2009, 12:10 PM
And such is the nature of my inquiry - overall confusion. I suppose certain neighborhoods near Moore/Norman could be considered part of a southern identity crisis.

OKC tends to have a focus on downtown right now - does that mean we're losing even more support from the outlying areas? Will a MAPS vote that focuses clearly on downtown issues be supported by the northerners and southerners who don't see themselves as OKC-dwellers? I wonder if these affects voting rates in City elections too - do people not even vote because they don't tend to know they live in the City?

OKCDrummer77
03-28-2009, 12:16 PM
I, too, went to OC. The majority of people seemed to identify with Edmond, but every map I looked at clearly showed the campus to be in OKC proper, so that's what I went by.

This isn't limited to north OKC/Edmond. My sister & brother-in-law live near Hefner & Mustang Rds. This area is, again, clearly within OKC. However, they consider it part of Yukon, despite being nearly 2 miles from the Yukon city limit. They are, however, in the Yukon school district.

FritterGirl
03-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Part of the problem with this particular parcel in N OKC is that:

1. These people have an EDMOND postal code. Their mail is addressed to Edmond, as they are served by a post office located off of Kelly and Sorghum Mill (or somewhere close). Up until about a year ago, they had an Edmond -designated zip code (73003). Try looking up on Google the addresses in the areas in question using "Oklahoma City" as the city name, and they won't pull up. Period. You have to use Edmond as the city name in order for these addresses to pull up.

2. They are also in the Edmond school district. Their property taxes are in Edmond, and those who have kids who go to public schools go to Edmond schools.

Despite all of that, TECHNICALLY, many of these households are within the corporate limits of Oklahoma City, and as such are under the jurisdiction of OKC police and fire, and receive OKC utilities bills.

This is not the only part of OKC where this happens, in fact, all along the outside borders of the City, it is quite frequent.

I don't think any of these people have an identity crisis unless they want to have one. And if they happen to identify with Edmond because it's easier to do such, then so what?

jbkrems
03-28-2009, 02:32 PM
I probably consider myself an Edmondite, even though my 73134 address is OKC. I live off 150th street east of Portland. But I work in Edmond and go to church in Edmond, and spend much time over there. Go figure.

kevinpate
03-28-2009, 06:31 PM
That's one reason I live in Norman, less confusion all the way around.

BB37
03-28-2009, 06:36 PM
I, too, went to OC. The majority of people seemed to identify with Edmond, but every map I looked at clearly showed the campus to be in OKC proper, so that's what I went by.

This isn't limited to north OKC/Edmond. My sister & brother-in-law live near Hefner & Mustang Rds. This area is, again, clearly within OKC. However, they consider it part of Yukon, despite being nearly 2 miles from the Yukon city limit. They are, however, in the Yukon school district.

I'll make it 3 OC grads ('75) jumping in on this topic, and the OC campus IS in OKC; Smiling Hill Road, on the north edge of the campus, is the dividing line between OKC and Edmond.

And, I live near Hefner & Mustang Roads in the Surrey Hills addition in far NW OKC; Surrey has always had a bit of an identity crisis. We're in OKC, but our mail comes out of Yukon, and we're in the Yukon school district. To add to the fun, AT&T phone service comes out of Piedmont.

kevinpate
03-28-2009, 06:50 PM
> Surrey has always had a bit of an identity crisis

I've had new clients from that area, when asked where they are from, tell me "that depends, are you writing me, calling me, or coming out to see me?" As I'm easily entertained, I've always found it amusing how folks describe their little triangle of heaven.

jbrown84
03-28-2009, 07:04 PM
So is voting by the postal code or the actual city limits?

Karried
03-28-2009, 08:06 PM
wow, it's more widespread than I thought... my zip code isn't any of the above..lol

okcpulse
03-28-2009, 11:27 PM
Part of the problem with this particular parcel in N OKC is that:

1. These people have an EDMOND postal code. Their mail is addressed to Edmond, as they are served by a post office located off of Kelly and Sorghum Mill (or somewhere close). Up until about a year ago, they had an Edmond -designated zip code (73003). Try looking up on Google the addresses in the areas in question using "Oklahoma City" as the city name, and they won't pull up. Period. You have to use Edmond as the city name in order for these addresses to pull up.

2. They are also in the Edmond school district. Their property taxes are in Edmond, and those who have kids who go to public schools go to Edmond schools.

Despite all of that, TECHNICALLY, many of these households are within the corporate limits of Oklahoma City, and as such are under the jurisdiction of OKC police and fire, and receive OKC utilities bills.

This is not the only part of OKC where this happens, in fact, all along the outside borders of the City, it is quite frequent.

I don't think any of these people have an identity crisis unless they want to have one. And if they happen to identify with Edmond because it's easier to do such, then so what?

The post office serving that area is actually located on 33rd and Kelly, just across the street from Oklahoma City's city limits.

fromdust
03-29-2009, 02:13 AM
this problem is all over. i had a fight with a friend cuz she says surrey hills is yukon, but actually its in okc limits. i still havent convinced her.

FritterGirl
03-29-2009, 06:38 AM
The post office serving that area is actually located on 33rd and Kelly, just across the street from Oklahoma City's city limits.

It must be split then, because I live in "that area (farther north than Karried)," and when I have to pick up packages I have to go to approx. Sorghum Mill (or Coffee Creek) and Kelly. It's WAAY up there. This is also where the 73003 zip code is serviced, which is the zip we had until they changed it on us last year.

FritterGirl
03-29-2009, 06:41 AM
So is voting by the postal code or the actual city limits?
Voting is by City limits.

When there is a municipal election, you will receive a ballot for that city in whose corporate limits you reside. In this case, the postal code has nothing to do with it.

Mustang/Yukon is another funky area. There are some people there while, within the corporate limits of OKC, are served by a Yukon postal station yet live in the Mustang school district.

ChowRunner
03-29-2009, 08:00 AM
I think some people have an identity crisis because they want their to be one. Telling people you live Oklahoma City off of 150th/Portland doesnt sound as "exclusive" as just saying "I live in Edmond".

Karried
03-29-2009, 10:00 AM
Well if you pay Edmond property taxes, attend Edmond schools, and have an Edmond address, I'd say you live in Edmond. If you don't. you don't.

okcpulse
03-29-2009, 11:10 AM
Well if you pay Edmond property taxes, attend Edmond schools, and have an Edmond address, I'd say you live in Edmond. If you don't. you don't.

However, if you live in Oklahoma City city limits, then the census will count you as living in Oklahoma City.

That being said, if you are paying property taxes to Edmond even though you live off of Pennsylvania and NW 164th, then I am outraged. Those taxes need to be going to OKC to pay for infrastructure costs and services.

okcpulse
03-29-2009, 11:13 AM
this problem is all over. i had a fight with a friend cuz she says surrey hills is yukon, but actually its in okc limits. i still havent convinced her.

Did you show her a street map? Not to sound rude, but if a street map is not enough to convince her, then a remedial course in geography should be in her future.

LakeEffect
03-29-2009, 01:29 PM
However, if you live in Oklahoma City city limits, then the census will count you as living in Oklahoma City.

That being said, if you are paying property taxes to Edmond even though you live off of Pennsylvania and NW 164th, then I am outraged. Those taxes need to be going to OKC to pay for infrastructure costs and services.

Those taxes do go to OKC - somewhat. Oklahoma County is the main receptor of property tax anyway, OKC doesn't see much. Sales Tax is where the money is at (which is why OKC now has a hiring freeze).

The general confusion by the variety of political boundaries makes this all the more interesting.

BB37
03-29-2009, 04:04 PM
Did you show her a street map? Not to sound rude, but if a street map is not enough to convince her, then a remedial course in geography should be in her future.

OR, take her by Fire Station #32 at NW 122nd and Mustang Road. It's clearly marked "OCFD."

Nermel
03-29-2009, 04:55 PM

Tell her to look at her property assessment statement rather closely. They were just mailed, I believe. It shows which taxing districts your property is located in.

Also, you can view municipal borders with Google Earth. Incidentally, the Sportsman Club at 39th & Tulsa and The Stockyards are not inside OKC limits.

BB37
03-29-2009, 05:41 PM
Tell her to look at her property assessment statement rather closely. They were just mailed, I believe. It shows which taxing districts your property is located in.

Also, you can view municipal borders with Google Earth. Incidentally, the Sportsman Club at 39th & Tulsa and The Stockyards are not inside OKC limits.

I knew the Stockyards wasn't in the city limits -- they used to sell fireworks just north of Exchange and Agnew, while that's been illegal in OKC for decades. Didn't know that about Sportsman's though...

ChowRunner
03-29-2009, 11:05 PM
I think they use to do some shooting sports at sportsmans and to keep that from ending the club resisted annexation.