View Full Version : Jefferson Davis elementary alums??

Pages : [1] 2

papaOU
03-25-2009, 11:48 PM
I did not know that this school existed until a few years ago and spent hours looking for it. Family that had been on the south-side since the 1940's had never heard of it either. The school has been closed for some years but is located east of S.E. High School. Anyone go there??????

Generals64
03-26-2009, 07:17 AM
I did not know that this school existed until a few years ago and spent hours looking for it. Family that had been on the south-side since the 1940's had never heard of it either. The school has been closed for some years but is located east of S.E. High School. Anyone go there??????
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Didn't go there, but have been by there. It's kinda creepy looking. There has been some interest in the building for an alternative school. The building is in disarray but, they think they can make a private school there??????

kevinpate
03-26-2009, 07:52 PM
If this is the one I asked about in the other thread,the emopty school between 53rd and 54h off Stiles, Someone is sure missing an awesome opportunity to make one whale of a haunted house outta the place. creepy indeed, even in daylight

Generals64
03-26-2009, 08:07 PM
If this is the one I asked about in the other thread,the emopty school between 53rd and 54h off Stiles, Someone is sure missing an awesome opportunity to make one whale of a haunted house outta the place. creepy indeed, even in daylight

There was (notice was) some interest by a private Charter School on taking the building over. I went with my wife to go and look at it....Spooky inside....but, with some TLC maybe some kids that won't get anymore than street education can learn that life is more than a "Crack" Pipe....I mean this from the depths of my heart....

papaOU
03-26-2009, 08:14 PM
The people in that neighborhood are wanting to have it demolished. I would like to find one person that went to school there.

papaOU
03-27-2009, 01:04 AM
There was (notice was) some interest by a private Charter School on taking the building over. I went with my wife to go and look at it....Spooky inside....but, with some TLC maybe some kids that won't get anymore than street education can learn that life is more than a "Crack" Pipe....I mean this from the depths of my heart....

In this day of political correctness if the building were bought they would have to change the name? Maybe even remove the name. That would suck!!!

oneforone
03-27-2009, 03:28 AM
Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=35.412097,-97.504357&spn=0.000616,0.002843&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=35.412099,-97.504003&panoid=J8YjRp01gaSFHJVYrIrFrQ&cbp=11,203.84813897574838,,0,-1.198113207547172)

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
03-27-2009, 07:16 AM
The people in that neighborhood are wanting to have it demolished. I would like to find one person that went to school there.

My cousins went to grade school there, before they moved to Del City and Graduated from Crooked Oak.

SoonerGirl26
03-29-2009, 08:50 AM

I went to school there! 5th & 6th grade. It is at 53 & Byers. I lived at 52nd & Byers. Lots of good memories from there.....playing Jacks on a concrete slab in the playground; chasing boys around the playground; being the winner of the 50-yard dash; those great school carnivals; our 6th grade graduation singing, "You'll Never Walk Alone".

It is VERY creepy looking now.....but was not back then. There was also a little grocery store across the street on Byers called "George Turner's Grocery"....great little neighborhood store. He let me buy things and write it down on a note so my parents could pay later.

~~~

papaOU
03-29-2009, 02:07 PM
I went to school there! 5th & 6th grade. It is at 53 & Byers. I lived at 52nd & Byers. Lots of good memories from there.....playing Jacks on a concrete slab in the playground; chasing boys around the playground; being the winner of the 50-yard dash; those great school carnivals; our 6th grade graduation singing, "You'll Never Walk Alone".

It is VERY creepy looking now.....but was not back then. There was also a little grocery store across the street on Byers called "George Turner's Grocery"....great little neighborhood store. He let me buy things and write it down on a note so my parents could pay later.

~~~

Did you then go to CHJH?

Generals64
03-29-2009, 08:17 PM
Did you then go to CHJH?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Naw, she was afraid she couldn't get the grease out of her hair so she went on the Southeast. Southeast and Grant were 7th - 12th Grade then.....

Prunepicker
03-29-2009, 08:26 PM
Was Jefferson Davis Elementary built around the same time as Heronville
and Lee? I'm guessing that was around 1920.

SoonerGirl26
03-29-2009, 09:34 PM
Naw, she was afraid she couldn't get the grease out of her hair so she went on the Southeast. Southeast and Grant were 7th - 12th Grade then.....

Thanks Gen64 ~ hahahaha.....I thought we ALL had grease in our hair...thought it was a requirement to live on the southside....remember those northsiders were required to wear silk underwear.

~~~

SoonerGirl26
03-29-2009, 09:35 PM

Not for sure.....I only knew it was a long, long time ago. I'll try to do some research on it and find out when they were all built.

~~~

papaOU
03-29-2009, 11:22 PM

Lee was built in 1910

Prunepicker
03-30-2009, 09:49 AM
Lee was built in 1910
Thanks!

Generals64
03-30-2009, 02:11 PM
Not for sure.....I only knew it was a long, long time ago. I'll try to do some research on it and find out when they were all built.

~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
How did you know they wore Silk Underwear????

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
03-30-2009, 02:32 PM

Heronville was built in 1928

SoonerGirl26
03-30-2009, 02:40 PM
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
How did you know they wore Silk Underwear????

Do you not remember?? We were called the "Southside Greasers" and they were the "Northside Silkies"....meaning everything they wore was made out of silk. Or was that just a SE thing???

~~~

Generals64
03-31-2009, 05:33 PM
Do you not remember?? We were called the "Southside Greasers" and they were the "Northside Silkies"....meaning everything they wore was made out of silk. Or was that just a SE thing???

~~~
you haven't answered my question...How did you know they wore silk underwear??? By the way we need to make a trip as a group over to Jefferson Davis at the next Hoe Down.....

SoonerGirl26
03-31-2009, 07:14 PM
you haven't answered my question...How did you know they wore silk underwear??? By the way we need to make a trip as a group over to Jefferson Davis at the next Hoe Down.....

Well....I didn't know for sure....but that's what I heard...and you know me, I believe everything I hear!!
:LolLolLol
~~~

Prunepicker
03-31-2009, 07:24 PM
Do you not remember? We were called the "Southside Greasers" and they
were the "Northside Silkies", meaning everything they wore was made out of
silk. Or was that just a SE thing?~~~

I understand completely. After all, I cruised the northside every weekend.

You're exactly right. And according to legends (snicker snicker) they wore silk
whachamacallits...

... so I was told...

What in the world does this have to do with Jefferson Davis Elementary?
:backtotop

papaOU
03-31-2009, 11:35 PM
Thanks Gen64 ~ hahahaha.....I thought we ALL had grease in our hair...thought it was a requirement to live on the southside....remember those northsiders were required to wear silk underwear.

~~~

I could explain this to you but it would not make it past the moderator.:ohno:

Generals64
04-07-2009, 11:44 AM
I could explain this to you but it would not make it past the moderator.:ohno:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
With this group you never know....The moderators might just think we are trying to remember the past....Right????????

Generals64
05-20-2009, 07:16 PM
Went by Jefferson Davis School the other day. Pretty Architecture. Could use a little help on conditioning. Why not make an Alternative school there and help the kids learn that don't realize they need to learn.....?????Any suggestions.?...the building is just sitting there....How about it guys?

SoonerGirl26
05-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Went by Jefferson Davis School the other day. Pretty Architecture. Could use a little help on conditioning. Why not make an Alternative school there and help the kids learn that don't realize they need to learn.....?????Any suggestions.?...the building is just sitting there....How about it guys?

It has been sitting empty for a long, long time and it is in sad shape. I can't believe that it has just sat there all these years. I have some good memories of 5th & 6th grade there. You know I was the 50-yard dash champion there....LOL!!!!!

~~~

Generals64
05-20-2009, 09:08 PM
It has been sitting empty for a long, long time and it is in sad shape. I can't believe that it has just sat there all these years. I have some good memories of 5th & 6th grade there. You know I was the 50-yard dash champion there....LOL!!!!!

~~~

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bet you can still out run all the kids going to school there now....I keep thinking it would be a great place for an alternative school for kids that Need an education but don't think so. Or, their peers tell them they're stupid so they just act up and make fools of themselves.....My wife used to teach in an alternative school on the North East side of town. Those kids just wanted some direction and someone to trust.....See ya next time:........generals64

papaOU
05-20-2009, 09:15 PM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bet you can still out run all the kids going to school there now....I keep thinking it would be a great place for an alternative school for kids that Need an education but don't think so. Or, their peers tell them they're stupid so they just act up and make fools of themselves.....My wife used to teach in an alternative school on the North East side of town. Those kids just wanted some direction and someone to trust.....See ya next time:........generals64

I have the feeling the school name "Jefferson Davis" has much to do with it.

If I remember correctly, they were going to close Stand Watie a few years back.

Could Robert E. Lee and Jackson be next?

papaOU
06-11-2009, 10:44 PM
I found that a friend of mine for years went to Jefferson Davis for the fifth grade. She is a S.E. grad so I might be able to get her to Coit's. The Porter brothers are her uncles........

Generals64
06-13-2009, 11:59 AM
I found that a friend of mine for years went to Jefferson Davis for the fifth grade. She is a S.E. grad so I might be able to get her to Coit's. The Porter brothers are her uncles........
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I drove by there again...I just can't figure out why they can't do something with that building........

kevinpate
06-13-2009, 06:33 PM
I ponder if Asbestos is an issue. Even if structurally sound, reclaiming a large building with such issues would not be a mild undertaking

papaOU
06-14-2009, 04:33 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I drove by there again...I just can't figure out why they can't do something with that building........

I drove by Saturday and noticed the place had been cleaned up a bit. So Sunday I go back to take a few snaps. Hearing horror stories from the media and neighbors in the area I took my 2 year-old Blue Pit.

Not that much to photo so there are a limited number. When I check out old buildings especially government I look for cornerstones they can be a wealth of info. I could not find one here which usually means they were covered during an addition to the place. However! In my search I found something that I have never encountered before or just didn't notice. A heavy metal lid on the back of the building. A coal-chute. This gave me the only date pertaining to the building. The door was forged in 1929.
Now for you older or more experienced of the group this may seem like no big deal. For me it's like being let loose in a candy store!!!

papaOU
06-14-2009, 04:52 PM
I drove by Saturday and noticed the place had been cleaned up a bit. So Sunday I go back to take a few snaps. Hearing horror stories from the media and neighbors in the area I took my 2 year-old Blue Pit.

Not that much to photo so there are a limited number. When I check out old buildings especially government I look for cornerstones they can be a wealth of info. I could not find one here which usually means they were covered during an addition to the place. However! In my search I found something that I have never encountered before or just didn't notice. A heavy metal lid on the back of the building. A coal-chute. This gave me the only date pertaining to the building. The door was forged in 1926.
Now for you older or more experienced of the group this may seem like no big deal. For me it's like being let loose in a candy store!!!

Hit the wrong button at the wrong time. :053:

http://photobucket.com/papaOUbutternut

LucyMoments
06-14-2009, 05:13 PM

~~~
ROFL... there you go making generalizations about Northsiders.. It was ONLY Northwest Classen who were Silkies.. not the rest of us! And NO.. I don't know if it's true or not.. never dated the enemy!

HAHA!!

papaOU
06-15-2009, 08:25 PM
ROFL... there you go making generalizations about Northsiders.. It was ONLY Northwest Classen who were Silkies.. not the rest of us! And NO.. I don't know if it's true or not.. never dated the enemy!

HAHA!!

Now I remember! Northwest Classen was/is the only north-side school to wear undergarments. Well! At least clean anyway............:bright_id

Generals64
04-29-2010, 07:48 PM
Here is another thread for Jefferson Davis School....

Prunepicker
04-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Here is another thread for Jefferson Davis School...
Where?

bunchakids
06-03-2010, 04:19 PM
I went there! k-4th grade then went to the page woodsen "5th year" center.

Loved the teachers there . Mrs Fowler was my kindergarten teacher and Mrs Lewis was my 4th grade teacher. Dont really remember the ones in between.. Been all over that school back in the days, In the back is the boiler room....Very spooky down there. Cafeteria is on the west end and the Gym was on the east end.

After they closed I think most of the teachers went to Parmalee.

SoonerGirl26
06-03-2010, 08:53 PM
I just heard a few weeks ago (from papaOU) that they are going to bulldoze the school. It's been sitting there deteriorating for years. I'm going to try to remember to get over there and take some pictures before it's gone forever. I wish I would have done it before it closed, it looks horrible now.

~~~

SoonerGirl26
06-03-2010, 09:01 PM
Lee Elementary School.....

Since there has been some discussion on this thread about Lee Elementary on SW 29th..... it is 100 years old this year!! I was asked to come to a meeting today to learn more about the plans, but already had another commitment and couldn't be there.

The 100th Birthday Party will be held on September 16, 2010 at the school.

~~

Generals64
07-16-2010, 02:11 PM
Did you read about the Tennis Shoes and the bones found in a "Crawl Space" by the demolition crew od Jefferson Davis School TODAY????You guys must have played for keeps over there.....

SoonerGirl26
07-16-2010, 03:07 PM
Did you read about the Tennis Shoes and the bones found in a "Crawl Space" by the demolition crew od Jefferson Davis School TODAY????You guys must have played for keeps over there.....

Yep, just heard that a little while ago. They said they don't appear to be human bones.... but one never knows!!! I have mixed emotions about it being torn down.... it definitely needs to be demolished, but then again it was part of my growing up years. I guess I know now how you Grant people felt when they bulldozed your school. :Smiley099

~~~~

Prunepicker
07-16-2010, 03:28 PM
Where do you people find news like this? I thought I kept up.

papaOU
07-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Yep, just heard that a little while ago. They said they don't appear to be human bones.... but one never knows!!! I have mixed emotions about it being torn down.... it definitely needs to be demolished, but then again it was part of my growing up years. I guess I know now how you Grant people felt when they bulldozed your school. :Smiley099

~~~~

My ex lives over there. Bought the Porter house. She should be demolished. Only person I know that had surgery to lose weight and now has more chins than a Chinese phone book.....

SoonerGirl26
07-16-2010, 03:57 PM
Where do you people find news like this? I thought I kept up.

It came to me on a "Breaking News" text from Channel 9 this afternoon.

SoonerGirl26
07-16-2010, 04:00 PM
My ex lives over there. Bought the Porter house. She should be demolished. Only person I know that had surgery to lose weight and now has more chins than a Chinese phone book.....

Then your ex is my dad's neighbor. My dad still lives in the same house I grew up in..... 2 doors down from the Porter's old house.

~~

Prunepicker
07-16-2010, 04:17 PM
It came to me on a "Breaking News" text from Channel 9 this
afternoon.
I'm supposed to get those via email. What's the deal? I've
been nice.

SoonerGirl26
07-16-2010, 05:20 PM
I'm supposed to get those via email. What's the deal? I've
been nice.

I got it in my email too.

~~~

gen70
07-16-2010, 05:31 PM
I get mine on Facebook.

papaOU
07-16-2010, 05:54 PM
I drove by there today to see what has been done. All demolition work has taken place on the interior. Mom! If you still want to get inside there will be no problem. Guess with the decision to doze the place down, vandals have taken it as a go ahead signal and are breaking windows and skylights. You can tell it was vandals. Glass on inside and the windows are not completely removed, just big holes in the glass.

Prunepicker
07-16-2010, 06:06 PM
When was Jefferson Davis built?

Generals64
07-16-2010, 07:32 PM
June 3rd, 1808:................

Prunepicker
07-16-2010, 07:49 PM
June 3rd, 1808...
The school NOT Jefferson Davis' birthday. Never mind
about the pickles...

Generals64
07-16-2010, 08:25 PM
Oh:....I was just doing my homework for you.......

SoonerGirl26
07-16-2010, 10:25 PM
I drove by there today to see what has been done. All demolition work has taken place on the interior. Mom! If you still want to get inside there will be no problem. Guess with the decision to doze the place down, vandals have taken it as a go ahead signal and are breaking windows and skylights. You can tell it was vandals. Glass on inside and the windows are not completely removed, just big holes in the glass.

But do I have to crawl through a broken window??? That's sorta not my style.... :-) I may have time to drive by this weekend and take a look at it.

~~

Prunepicker
07-16-2010, 11:18 PM
But do I have to crawl through a broken window? That's sorta not
my style... :-) I may have time to drive by this weekend and take
a look at it.
~~
Let me know when you're going. That way we can both get arrested
and make the headlines. I have a discount coupon for bond service
from the yellow pages. I'll find one for you, too. It'll be fun until
we get separated after they book us. Not that I know what happens
in these cases. I hope they aren't serving mashed potatoes.
Would you call the day you want to go and find out what's on
the menu? You'll thank me later. Not that you really want to
know. But you'll still thank me.

papaOU
07-17-2010, 10:53 PM
But do I have to crawl through a broken window??? That's sorta not my style.... :-)
~~

But '64 said you were a cheap date?:tiphat:

Prunepicker
07-18-2010, 12:13 AM
But '64 said you were a cheap date?:tiphat:
Not true! '64 is delusional, because of Loritab, but we won't get
into that. If you can't afford to take Soonergirl26 on a first class
flight to NYC ($1,200 each), take her to the dressing tier of the
Metropolitan Opera ($800) then dine her at the 21 Club (which
will cost you $200 EACH unless she wants wine) then fergitit.

I did that for Prunette 10 years ago. We're still paying for it. I
haven't got the nerve to ask Soonergirl26 for a date. Besides
Prunette would shoot me in the head and become Soonergirl26's
best friend. Soonergirl26 has no intentions of being my best
friend because the limit of my credit card is maxed out.

Ouch. And she's so pretty, too. Are Tall Girl is available...
or Southsidegirl or PennyQuilts are available? From what I've
heard there's no need to even try.

Generals64
07-18-2010, 02:12 PM
Prunepicker:.....you should go and get a brick out of Jeff Davis school for Soonergirl26.....as small as she is she could get through the broken windows but she shouldn't have to....."YOU CAN DO IT"....

Prunepicker
07-18-2010, 08:12 PM
Prunepicker... you should go and get a brick out of Jeff Davis school
for Soonergirl26... as small as she is she could get through the broken
windows but she shouldn't have to... "YOU CAN DO IT"...
Prunepicker to the rescue. Is at @ S.W. 55th & Santa Fe? Shields?

Oh, will you cover me?