View Full Version : Jefferson Davis elementary alums??

Pages : 1 [2]

SoonerGirl26
07-18-2010, 08:53 PM
Prunepicker to the rescue. Is at @ S.W. 55th & Santa Fe? Shields?

Oh, will you cover me?

2 blocks east of Shields on SE 53rd.

~~

Prunepicker
07-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Are there any loose bricks or do I need dynamite?

papaOU
07-19-2010, 12:14 AM
Are there any loose bricks or do I need dynamite?

Need the t-n-t! They are dismantling the inside now.

Prunepicker
07-19-2010, 01:22 AM
Need the t-n-t! They are dismantling the inside now.
I guess I'll go over there and see if any bricks are available.

papaOU
07-19-2010, 01:16 PM
I guess I'll go over there and see if any bricks are available.

By the amount of drug usage in that place you might get stoned instead of a brick....

papaOU
07-22-2010, 08:42 PM
2 blocks east of Shields on SE 53rd.

~~

HEY MOM!!!!

Drove by this evening just to see what was going on. They are still gutting the inside. However! There is a door open on the west side. Several windows are raised as well......

Interested?

SoonerGirl26
07-22-2010, 08:58 PM
HEY MOM!!!!

Drove by this evening just to see what was going on. They are still gutting the inside. However! There is a door open on the west side. Several windows are raised as well......

Interested?

It would be cool to go in there.... but I would be scared!!!!! Those pictures I saw on Abandoned Buildings didn't make it look too appetizing to be in there!! So I'll just stick with my memories of the place!!

I went to SE today and the principal gave me a tour of the school and showed me what they are doing to renovate it. I took over 50 pictures.

~~

papaOU
07-24-2010, 10:37 PM
I am attempting to find a concerning the construction of Jefferson Davis Elem. School with little luck. I have located stories concerning its progress, but no date as to when building began.

Address was originally S.E. 52nd and Sprow Ave. Oklahoman/1937

April 9, 1930, Oklahoman; A naming of schools is reported. Taft JH, Jackson JH, Stand Waite, and Jefferson Davis all named. No mention again as far as construction. Davis is often mentioned as the oilfield school.

Prunepicker
07-24-2010, 11:21 PM
http://archive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/1931/04/28/11/Img/Pc0111600.jpg

http://archive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/1931/04/28/11/Img/Ar0110602.png

SoonerGirl26
07-25-2010, 12:23 AM
I found an article dated 9-18-31 that stated that students had been going to school for 4 days and the building inspectors came because the 8-room building was not finished.

~~~

SoonerGirl26
07-25-2010, 11:13 AM
While I was searching the Oklahoman archives I also found out something I didn't know. There was a Webster Junior High built in 1920 at 1200 N. Lindsay, it existed until 1960 when it became Moon Junior High. The current Webster Middle School on S. Shields was opened in 1964 (I do remember that).

~~~

papaOU
08-05-2010, 10:08 PM
Drove by this evening. The addition to the east end of the building was gone, and looking north to south you can see through one side to the other. I try to find red bricks which often have the location of the brickyard listed on them. Have to return when more of the exterior is pulled down

SoonerGirl26
08-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Drove by this evening. The addition to the east end of the building was gone, and looking north to south you can see through one side to the other. I try to find red bricks which often have the location of the brickyard listed on them. Have to return when more of the exterior is pulled down

The east end was the auditorium... I have fond memories of standing on the stage at 6th grade graduation and singing, "When You Walk Through A Storm". I need to go by there this weekend sometime, I would like to have a brick or two.

~~~

Prunepicker
08-05-2010, 11:08 PM
While I was searching the Oklahoman archives I also found out
something I didn't know. There was a Webster Junior High built in
1920 at 1200 N. Lindsay, it existed until 1960 when it became
Moon Junior High. The current Webster Middle School on S.
Shields was opened in 1964 (I do remember that).

~~~
Just did a search for Webster Junior High on Google and came
up with Doug's Blog (http://www.dougloudenback.com/maps/vintage_webster_moon_jrhigh.htm). There are some photos, too.
I remember Webster opening. We thought it was way out
there from S.W. 63rd & Miller. But that's only because it was.

papaOU
08-12-2010, 10:09 PM
I went by the school Thursday. Only had my cell so I had to "stay clear" since the demo crew was at work.585

SoonerGirl26
08-12-2010, 10:26 PM
I went by the school Thursday. Only had my cell so I had to "stay clear" since the demo crew was at work.585

I went by there and took some pictures on Tuesday... at that time they had only torn down the cafeteria on the west and the auditorium on the east. These were the buildings that were added on after the main building was built. All the windows were out and it was just a skeleton of a building.... so I figured they would be pushing it down pretty quick. Kinda sad for me......

~~~

Prunepicker
08-13-2010, 05:04 PM
Just got back from the demolition site. It was sad to see another
part of Oklahoma City history being razed.

Tall Girl was there, too, and helped me with the bricks. She
carried 3 and I can't remember how many I loaded in the truck.
The bricks are from the Malvern (sp) Brick Co.

Tall Girl
08-13-2010, 05:44 PM
I carried those 3 bricks a half a block to my truck, and they still had the mortar on them and it was 104 degrees and so were the bricks. I picked him up in my truck a few feet from the pile. Somebody needs to ask Prunepicker how many we got all together.

Tall Girl
08-13-2010, 06:04 PM
Today at about 3:00, the only thing standing was the N.W. corner. It is a sad sight. I'll tell you how many bricks we got all together. 4

Prunepicker
08-14-2010, 12:07 AM
Today at about 3:00, the only thing standing was the N.W.
corner. It is a sad sight. I'll tell you how many bricks we got
all together. 4
Gee! I could have swore I carried more than 1. Oh, thanks for
the lift back to the truck. It was pretty hot!

How will I live this down?

papaOU
08-14-2010, 02:27 PM
If you go to the former Jefferson Davis elementary school watch your step. If the place does not have a full basement, there are underground "utility" shafts.

It's a basement. I remember SoonerGirl26 said that is where she received her first kiss. One of many first kisses.

papaOU
08-14-2010, 03:51 PM
Oklahoman article dated 7/17/1945

Oil company (Bod Rucker) wanted to lay a sewer line across the school grounds. A meeting with the board of education resulted in a no vote but allowed an inspector to look over and give advice concerning the pipeline. The inspector notified the school board that Mr. Rucker had already installed the line and that it ran under home-plate across the ball field. Rucker was ordered to dig-up and remove the line.

I guess politics really hasn't changed much.

papaOU
08-15-2010, 02:18 AM
I have spent all of today looking at 1000 articles in the Oklahoman Archives. Found nothing concerning when it was erected and opened. Could not find reason or date of closing.

There is an article where the police department used the school for training exercises. That ended after an officer shot another. Of course the pistol was not loaded.
Shot the poor guy in the groin with a 9MM.

papaOU
08-15-2010, 11:27 AM
What jr. high did Jeff Davis students attend? I know at first they went straight to S.E. but once built which jr. high took the 7-9 grade students later?

papaOU
08-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Searched through 1000 article on the Oklahoman Archives. Found nothing pertaining to the construction or closing dates.:ohno:

papaOU
08-15-2010, 08:41 PM
Just got back from the demolition site. It was sad to see another
part of Oklahoma City history being razed.

Tall Girl was there, too, and helped me with the bricks. She
carried 3 and I can't remember how many I loaded in the truck.
The bricks are from the Malvern (sp) Brick Co.

I returned to Jeff Davis today to get a couple more bricks. Found that the light colored had two manufacturers. Malvern and Pyramid.

Prunepicker
08-15-2010, 10:16 PM
I returned to Jeff Davis today to get a couple more bricks. Found
that the light colored had two manufacturers. Malvern and
Pyramid.
Do you suppose one company provided the bricks for the add-on?
The ones we got were from the front and all say Malvern. Did
you find any Pyramid brick in the front?

papaOU
08-15-2010, 11:46 PM
Do you suppose one company provided the bricks for the add-on?
The ones we got were from the front and all say Malvern. Did
you find any Pyramid brick in the front?

Most of the bricks I culled were on the north side near what you might call main entrance/exit. A few were from the very northwest area of the front.
All I have been able to find on the net is that Malvern and Acme were/became one and the same. Nothing on Pyramid.

Prunepicker
08-15-2010, 11:51 PM
Most of the bricks I culled were on the north side near what you
might call main entrance/exit. A few were from the very
northwest area of the front.
All I have been able to find on the net is that Malvern and Acme
were/became one and the same. Nothing on Pyramid.
I just found this. Pyramid Brick Company. (http://books.google.com/books?id=1pvmAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA66&lpg=PA66&dq=%22Pyramid+Brick+Company%22&source=bl&ots=SYROlxecjd&sig=Eiq3QUcck1jIw9EPz1INzAFDsX0&hl=en&ei=fdFoTL3hEpPknAfqmb3BBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBsQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22Pyramid%20Brick%20Company%22&f=false)

I'm still looking.

papaOU
08-16-2010, 01:21 PM
I just found this. Pyramid Brick Company. (http://books.google.com/books?id=1pvmAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA66&lpg=PA66&dq=%22Pyramid+Brick+Company%22&source=bl&ots=SYROlxecjd&sig=Eiq3QUcck1jIw9EPz1INzAFDsX0&hl=en&ei=fdFoTL3hEpPknAfqmb3BBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CBsQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22Pyramid%20Brick%20Company%22&f=false)

I'm still looking.

I went by there at noon and for you wanting a brick or two, they are not going to get all the work done today.

Generals64
08-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Probably Webster.....and/or Capitol Hill jr. high...don't forget Crooked Oak...

Prunepicker
08-16-2010, 09:28 PM
Probably Webster... and/or Capitol Hill jr. high... don't forget
Crooked Oak...
What in the world are you talking about? Neither of those
schools have anything in common.

Hey, I need a brick from Crooked Oak. Prunette gragiatered
from yonders and I need one of dem dang' thangs.

papaOU
08-16-2010, 11:23 PM
What in the world are you talking about? Neither of those
schools have anything in common.

Hey, I need a brick from Crooked Oak. Prunette gragiatered
from yonders and I need one of dem dang' thangs.

Just go through a wooded area and pick her up a bent stick.

Prunepicker
08-16-2010, 11:35 PM
Just go through a wooded area and pick her up a bent stick.
I've already tried that. I'm still picking splinters from my backside.
CO girls don't have much of a sense of humor. It's worse than SE
or CHHS broads, I mean dames, I mean chicks, I mean... I'm glad
I have hospitalization.

papaOU
08-19-2010, 09:27 PM
Caught site of a bumper sticker for Mom.

Don't blame me

I voted for Jeff Davis:tiphat:

Prunepicker
08-19-2010, 10:21 PM
Caught site of a bumper sticker for Mom.

Don't blame me

I voted for Jeff Davis:tiphat:
So did I. LOL!

papaOU
08-20-2010, 10:36 PM
While still browsing the Oklahoman Archives, I have found that Davis was still operating March 3, 1988. They were taking part in spelling bee.

papaOU
08-24-2010, 07:52 PM
RIP
Jeff Davis.
just another empty field in okc

Prunepicker
08-24-2010, 07:56 PM
PapaOU,
I'm so sorry that I didn't get the Ho Ho House brick
for you. When you said you were leaving I didn't have
a second thought. Next time make me get the brick
for you.

Prunepicker
08-24-2010, 08:05 PM
To all,
Mrs. Ho Ho died and her funeral is tomorrow.
Carmelite Monastary of St. Joseph
20000 N. Countyline Road, Piedmont.

I plan to be there. One of Mrs. Ho Ho's
daughters is a friend of mine.

It's not a happy occasion for many. But
for those whose lives rest in Jesus Christ
it's a celebration.

Taxed But Not Represented
08-31-2010, 09:03 PM
My brothers went to Davis elementery. I went to Rancho Village but all three of us graduated from SEHS. I also attended Webster Middle School and had another Davis alum former OKC councilman and ambulance chaser Jerry Foshee for a history teacher there. When my brothers found out he was one of my teachers they told me a story about Foshee trying to blow Davis school up with a bomb made by cutting the tips off of wooden matched and wrapping them up in aluminum foil. I guess that didn't work.

bunchakids
09-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Anyone know Mrs Fowler and or Mrs Lewis who taught here in the early eighties?