View Full Version : South lake park phase III

DaveSkater
03-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Well the drawings just hit the street, and I was able to download them.

I've been waiting for a long time for them to build that skatepark in the Southlakes Park, and it would appear my wait is in vain.

They drew a flat area with a couple of stairs and a rail or two. That's not a skatepark.

What an abysmal failure.

I'm absolutely appalled. The several skateparks we have are all crowded, and I was hoping this would be an alternative. I was dead wrong. The city got it right when they designed and built Hoffman, Edmond got it right when they built Mathis Brothers park (in Mitch Park), then they fell on their azz when they designed the Route 66 park, but its marginally acceptable.

This thing is a flop tho.

metro
03-26-2009, 08:58 AM
Maybe it's time to formally complain?

FritterGirl
03-26-2009, 02:35 PM
The idea behind the two skate courts at Route 66 and SouthLakes (notice I did not say skate "park") is to provide alternative skating opportunities to skaters and boarders who are not yet advanced enough to tackle the 13' bowls and extreme rails and ramps of the Mat Hoffman Action Sports Park.

Route 66 is still under construction and will include multiple above-ground skating features and stunts.

SouthLakes is still in its conceptual stage, but at this point, is slated to be all concrete and include several bowls, stairs and other features with a more beginning-intermediate (as well as younger) skater in mind.

While I certainly appreciate DaveSkater's enthusiasm for the MHASP and the skate park at Mitch, I ask that you keep in mind that not every skater is of the level or ability to tackle parks of that magnitude, especially when combined with the bikers who also frequent those two locations.

It is the goal of the Parks Department to provide a variety of opportunitites for skaters/boarders of all ages, levels and abilities, as well as provide a place for the younger kids who may be intimidated by the age and abilities of the kids who frequent Mat Hoffman.

DaveSkater
03-30-2009, 08:52 AM
This type of thing could be built in any abandoned basketball court, or parking lot.

I would wager that the city has no idea of the national/regional attraction that Matt Hoffman Park has. I see and talk with out of towners there constantly who all remark that they can't believe we've got such a world class park.

I learned out there. Started when I was in my 40's. My kids have learned out there. 12 and 8 respectively. The only thing that holds us back (them actually) is the rediculous crowds of people on the weekends and the lack of supervision by the "helmet police" as they are commonly referred as. (security) I personally love the security guards and know them all by name. When they show up, the crowd thins to an acceptable level.

I see no need to wait a whole year or more for "plaza's" for beginners to crop up. I'm in the construction business. A plaza such as this shouldn't take 2 months to build.

FritterGirl
03-30-2009, 10:41 AM
I would wager that the city has no idea of the national/regional attraction that Matt Hoffman Park has. I see and talk with out of towners there constantly who all remark that they can't believe we've got such a world class park.

You bet it does. Especially during the summer months, the Parks Department gets many media calls from regional and national publications asking about the MHASP. The Department is extremely proud of this facility.

I see no need to wait a whole year or more for "plaza's" for beginners to crop up. I'm in the construction business. A plaza such as this shouldn't take 2 months to build.

Construction times are completely dependent upon when funding becomes available through sales of the general obligation bonds. When voters approve a GO bond, as they did in 2007, they are voting on a full scope of projects across multiple City departments. These include projects with and for improvements to streets and roads, building and acquisition of new infrastructure and equipment for police and fire, drainage projects, etc. Parks is only one department of many that is included in the bond initiative. Within that framework, there are multiple projects being proposed.

During the timeframe the bonds are issued, the projects are then individually funded per fiscal year based upon when the bonds will be sold. The departments can't just say "let's build this now." They have to prioritize the projects each fiscal year, and those projects have to be approved, then when the bond is issued and funding is in place, they go through the bidding process and can finally begin construction.

While it would be much easier to say "hey, let's just build this thing," because of the way these projects are financed, it's not a possibility.

FritterGirl
03-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Speaking of the Mat Hoffman Action Sports Park, THIS (http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/travel/view.bg?articleid=1159521&srvc=rss) news just came in today!

DaveSkater
03-30-2009, 02:05 PM
I figured it was in the top 10.

It just irks me that the only time it's skateable is during school hours. If I want to take my kids there to skate, its either super early on saturday and sunday morning, or during the school week when school is in session.

The very nature of skateparks don't lend themselves to a big crowd. A few reliever parks should be built. I've been busy building my own at my shop, and with a few more ramps, should have a nice little private spot. But you just can't duplicate the 13' foot bowls at Hoffman without large monetary funding.

Plus Hoffman is deep in the badlands.... so to speak. I understand before the park went in, that Wiley Post park was commonly referred to as "penetration park". That can be taken two ways. Yuk.

There are still many druggies that hang out under robinson bridge, and perverts who use the port-let for God only knows what.

metro
03-30-2009, 02:29 PM
Dave, if that's true on the hours (and I believe you), that's pretty stupid, IMO. The City does have some pretty outdated policies though.

DaveSkater
03-30-2009, 02:41 PM
Oh it's open till from like 6am to 11pm.

The MOBS of skateboarders and BMX bicycles makes it tremendously hazardous to skate outside the hours I mentioned.

Sorry for the confusion.

Also, the security guards should really get there at about noon on the weekends. It's a madhouse. When they show up, it gets under control. (somewhat) But I understand the budget constraints.

DaveSkater
03-30-2009, 02:48 PM
The idea behind the two skate courts at Route 66 and SouthLakes (notice I did not say skate "park") is to provide alternative skating opportunities to skaters and boarders who are not yet advanced enough to tackle the 13' bowls and extreme rails and ramps of the Mat Hoffman Action Sports Park.

Route 66 is still under construction and will include multiple above-ground skating features and stunts.

SouthLakes is still in its conceptual stage, but at this point, is slated to be all concrete and include several bowls, stairs and other features with a more beginning-intermediate (as well as younger) skater in mind.

While I certainly appreciate DaveSkater's enthusiasm for the MHASP and the skate park at Mitch, I ask that you keep in mind that not every skater is of the level or ability to tackle parks of that magnitude, especially when combined with the bikers who also frequent those two locations.

It is the goal of the Parks Department to provide a variety of opportunitites for skaters/boarders of all ages, levels and abilities, as well as provide a place for the younger kids who may be intimidated by the age and abilities of the kids who frequent Mat Hoffman.

I downloaded the drawings, but couldn't see where any bowls were slated. I hope this is true, and I would retract my complaints. They don't have to be 13' deep, in fact, I'm one of the few bladers that actually uses the 13' foot deep end at hoffman.

12' hoffman bowl stalls on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/1699559)
Deep bowls and volcano ride on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/1820398)
12' deep backsides on Vimeo (http://www.vimeo.com/1719359)

Took me a while to build up to that. LOL