View Full Version : Western Dip

Pages : [1] 2 3

okckid
03-22-2009, 08:21 PM
Does any one have any pictures of the old western dip on s western. I had alot of great times out there.

Generals64
03-23-2009, 07:04 AM
Does any one have any pictures of the old western dip on s western. I had alot of great times out there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trying to find some right now for Steve. If you remember the Dip you had to be a southside kid...Correct?????

okckid
03-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Actually Del City but I did live on the southside for the first 6yrs of my life.

grantgeneral78
03-23-2009, 07:47 PM
what was the dip?

okckid
03-24-2009, 07:31 AM
It was a giant slide. You went down it on a burlap sack. It was right next door to the drive in.

Generals64
03-24-2009, 02:49 PM
It was a giant slide. You went down it on a burlap sack. It was right next door to the drive in.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whoa:..the Western Dip was a Drive-Inn Restaurant on 51st and S. we3stern. they closed in 1968 or 69......

Redskins/General
04-08-2009, 06:20 PM
Whoa:..the Western Dip was a Drive-Inn Restaurant on 51st and S. we3stern. they closed in 1968 or 69......
The Western Dip's last location was at S.W. 58th and Western on the East side next to the Apco station on the corner!! Your right before that it was at 51st and S. Western on the West side of the street. Just South of the original Suburban Furniture location!!

Generals64
04-08-2009, 07:30 PM
The Western Dip's last location was at S.W. 58th and Western on the East side next to the Apco station on the corner!! Your right before that it was at 51st and S. Western on the West side of the street. Just South of the original Suburban Furniture location!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
All I know hot rod is that the Dip was there (51st) AT THE END OF THE 1966 Class at Grant....took my wife there for a coke before they closed it down....K.E. Smith bought the property and built the building that is there now. There was however a Slide called the Western Dip...

Redskins/General
04-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Hot rod, I like that, in fact you can just call me Rod if you like!! LOL I wasn't disputing the location of the Western Dip, only the fact that it moved to a new location after 51st st. I was a very loyal customer along with the rest of my family. I can't remember when it finally shut down, but it did move across the street east to 58th!! It was the same burger etc. not a slide.

Generals64
04-08-2009, 08:05 PM
Hot rod, I like that, in fact you can just call me Rod if you like!! LOL I wasn't disputing the location of the Western Dip, only the fact that it moved to a new location after 51st st. I was a very loyal customer along with the rest of my family. I can't remember when it finally shut down, but it did move across the street east to 58th!! It was the same burger etc. not a slide.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The main thing about the dip that I still remember was eating my Fries with Mustard on them. Also, more than once getting 3-4 guys together and pooling our money to buy a Hamburger/Fries and coke and then splitting it. Probably was 95 Cents total.

Redskins/General
04-08-2009, 08:14 PM
This is TRUE story, I use to ride my bicycle down to 51st Western Dip and park it like a car and have the car hop bring me a hamburger, did that at Potters (later Al 'N' Dubs) and pushed the button for service. No inhibitions as a kid I guess!!

CarltonsKeeper
04-09-2009, 07:39 AM
The Wester Dip at 58th was short lived and became "THe Burger Hut"

CarltonsKeeper
04-09-2009, 07:45 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
All I know hot rod is that the Dip was there (51st) AT THE END OF THE 1966 Class at Grant....took my wife there for a coke before they closed it down....K.E. Smith bought the property and built the building that is there now. There was however a Slide called the Western Dip...
Gen/64, I must take issue with both you and Red/Gen!! I believe the Western Dip shut down long before 1966 and I also question whether it was ever the Dip on 58th, but I do know the Burger Hut was on 58th!! It possibly was and I think it may have been Western Dip but only briefly. Need someone to check the closing date of Western Dip! It was closed long before I graduated. Do some checking for us!! I will also...Thank you...

Generals64
04-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Gen/64, I must take issue with both you and Red/Gen!! I believe the Western Dip shut down long before 1966 and I also question whether it was ever the Dip on 58th, but I do know the Burger Hut was on 58th!! It possibly was and I think it may have been Western Dip but only briefly. Need someone to check the closing date of Western Dip! It was closed long before I graduated. Do some checking for us!! I will also...Thank you...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do know this, the last week of my Senior Year (1964) we all went there for lunch....We agreed that everyone would have enough money with them to pay for a complete Burger Basket without pooling our money.....Six of us.....Have only seen two of those guys since graduation night...Man, now I've got to find the other guys....

Prunepicker
04-12-2009, 10:57 PM
what was the dip?
It was a drive-in. It was affectionately known as the 'grease pit'.
Good burgers and fries.

Prunepicker
04-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Whoa... the Western Dip was a Drive-Inn Restaurant on 51st and S. western.
they closed in 1968 or 69...

It was more like 71 or 72. I had a friend who worked there at that time.

Prunepicker
04-12-2009, 11:03 PM
Gen/64, I must take issue with both you and Red/Gen!! I believe the Western
Dip shut down long before 1966 and I also question whether it was ever the
Dip on 58th, but I do know the Burger Hut was on 58th!! It possibly was and I
think it may have been Western Dip but only briefly. Need someone to check
the closing date of Western Dip! It was closed long before I graduated. Do
some checking for us!! I will also...Thank you...

Hey, I remember the Dip at @ 58th and Western and it was there in the
early 70's, too.

Now if there was one on 51st, that's a different story or a big fat lie. Maybe
it's just a bunch of really old guys who remember everything but don't know
where everything was.

Generals64
04-13-2009, 07:10 AM
Hey, I remember the Dip at @ 58th and Western and it was there in the
early 70's, too.

Now if there was one on 51st, that's a different story or a big fat lie. Maybe
it's just a bunch of really old guys who remember everything but don't know
where everything was.
No, I have to concede to CK...But, the original Western dip was on 51/Western. I'm sure USG60 would agree with me....By the way Grant70's wife sent me an email...He's working somewhere in Kentucky without the Internet???Said he'd return....

CarltonsKeeper
04-13-2009, 04:17 PM
No, I have to concede to CK...But, the original Western dip was on 51/Western. I'm sure USG60 would agree with me....By the way Grant70's wife sent me an email...He's working somewhere in Kentucky without the Internet???Said he'd return....
You are 100% correct on the original location of the Western Dip! It was S.W. 51st and S. Western on the Southwest corner, just south of the original Suburban Furniture. I do remember when it moved to s.w. 58th on the east side! Mrs. Keeper says it eventually turned into The Burger Hut! She grew up at 50th and S. western. The original Western Dip closed somewhere around 1961 to 63 if not earlier, I'm almost sure of that. Have Soonergirl or someone check that out...Do you know who we went to school with that his brother owned (owns) Suburban Furniture Mr. Gen/64. If you do, you get to pay for our next lunch!! And I like BIG STEAKS!!!

Generals64
04-13-2009, 07:05 PM
You are 100% correct on the original location of the Western Dip! It was S.W. 51st and S. Western on the Southwest corner, just south of the original Suburban Furniture. I do remember when it moved to s.w. 58th on the east side! Mrs. Keeper says it eventually turned into The Burger Hut! She grew up at 50th and S. western. The original Western Dip closed somewhere around 1961 to 63 if not earlier, I'm almost sure of that. Have Soonergirl or someone check that out...Do you know who we went to school with that his brother owned (owns) Suburban Furniture Mr. Gen/64. If you do, you get to pay for our next lunch!! And I like BIG STEAKS!!!
Don't remember the Suburban Furniture name...But, I promise I ate at The Western Dip the last day of School in 1964.....Me and three others....but, you have rattled my cage about the store...by the way ....those steaks from Texas were wonderfullllllllllllll..................

Prunepicker
04-13-2009, 08:04 PM
... Do you know who we went to school with that his brother owned (owns)
Suburban Furniture Mr. Gen/64. If you do, you get to pay for our next lunch!
And I like BIG STEAKS!

It's Buford T. Justice.

Fergit about big stakes with Gen64. He alwayz buyz lunch at Coit's.
Not that it's bad. It's jes' yo' ain't gittin' no stake lessin' it's fer a tent.

Beleeve me. I know.

Generals64
04-13-2009, 08:26 PM
It's Buford T. Justice.

Fergit about big stakes with Gen64. He alwayz buyz lunch at Coit's.
Not that it's bad. It's jes' yo' ain't gittin' no stake lessin' it's fer a tent.

Beleeve me. I know.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey, I told you yesterday was the last meeting for the missus....We're ready to indulge.....now, you say when....

Prunepicker
04-13-2009, 09:51 PM
Hey, I told you yesterday was the last meeting for the missus... We're ready
to indulge... now, you say when...

I'm gonna send ya'll a private message. Don't let nobody read it!

papaOU
04-13-2009, 11:55 PM
The more I read this thread the more I begin to believe that ALL YOU GUYS are the Western DIPs.

Generals64
04-14-2009, 01:32 PM
The more I read this thread the more I begin to believe that ALL YOU GUYS are the Western DIPs.

Yep you're right...But, we weren't just a SPOT in Capitol Hill....Did you want one of those jackets or not??? I'm going to bring 10 of them first come first serve.....If you want one I'll consider you as number 1 on the list....

papaOU
04-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Yep you're right...But, we weren't just a SPOT in Capitol Hill....Did you want one of those jackets or not??? I'm going to bring 10 of them first come first serve.....If you want one I'll consider you as number 1 on the list....

I'll be there.

Generals64
04-14-2009, 04:53 PM
I'll be there.
Well pops, for once in your life you are actually Number one.....I've promised another to another and I guess Prunepicker wants one...so, that leaves 7 left...Hey do you want the marching pants also????? let me know and I'll even bring you the hat that they wore....

papaOU
04-14-2009, 10:28 PM
Well pops, for once in your life you are actually Number one.....I've promised another to another and I guess Prunepicker wants one...so, that leaves 7 left...Hey do you want the marching pants also????? let me know and I'll even bring you the hat that they wore....

Bring 'em on. A hotdog, rootbeer, old friends, new friends and now;

dress up!!!

Who says getting old is a drag!!!

I'm gonna' ask Southside girl if she wants one.

CarltonsKeeper
04-15-2009, 02:42 PM
I guess I'm getting old and confused, these must be Western Dip uniforms is the only thing I can figure out!!

Prunepicker
04-15-2009, 04:26 PM
I guess I'm getting old and confused, these must be Western Dip uniforms is
the only thing I can figure out!!

Do you mean those white things that look like aprons with all that mustard,
ketchup and who knows what all over them?

WazAnOkie
04-17-2009, 11:25 AM
OK, ya got me with this one, and I had to register and join in.

The Western Dip was a great place there at 51st and Western, I lived right down the street from it.

The comments about it being across from Suburban Furniture brought back memories, but lets go further back...... what was on that site before Suburban Furniture?

And how about going one block south to 52nd. What was there on the NW corner where it has been a vacant lot since it closed years ago???

papaOU
04-17-2009, 03:00 PM

I'm gonna' ask Southside girl if she wants one.[/QUOTE]

Does SouthsideGirl even smoke?:mr_hat:

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
04-17-2009, 03:25 PM

I'm gonna' ask Southside girl if she wants one.

Does SouthsideGirl even smoke?:mr_hat:[/QUOTE]

Only when I'm really mad...........

papaOU
04-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Does SouthsideGirl even smoke?:mr_hat:

Only when I'm really mad...........[/QUOTE]

Looks like relations with Cuba might lift the trade embargo. If they do will you go back on the cigars.................................

Generals64
04-17-2009, 05:50 PM

The Western Dip was a great place there at 51st and Western, I lived right down the street from it.

The comments about it being across from Suburban Furniture brought back memories, but lets go further back...... what was on that site before Suburban Furniture?

And how about going one block south to 52nd. What was there on the NW corner where it has been a vacant lot since it closed years ago???

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
O.K., if you lived there, you must have gone to Grant....And wasn't that a Bread Store????otherwise, I am completely lost....

papaOU
04-17-2009, 08:25 PM

It was a street car station!

Horse drawn at that.

Are you one of the original Western Dips?

:welcome55

WazAnOkie
04-17-2009, 09:02 PM
I grew up right down the street, so went to Fillmore, then Jefferson, and a '72 grad from Grant.

Before Suburban Furniture was Stocktons Grocery, and there was a drugstore next door, but I can't remember the name of the drugstore.

On 52nd was a Kerr McGee gas station, and the lot is still vacant. My parents still live right down the street.

Generals64
04-17-2009, 09:11 PM
I grew up right down the street, so went to Fillmore, then Jefferson, and a '72 grad from Grant.

Before Suburban Furniture was Stocktons Grocery, and there was a drugstore next door, but I can't remember the name of the drugstore.

On 52nd was a Kerr McGee gas station, and the lot is still vacant. My parents still live right down the street.
I had completely forgotten about Stockton's being there and about the Kerr McGee Station. They were sometimes leaders in the Gas wars around town...I thought that might have been one of Sheen's Drug Stores....My wife teaches at Jefferson now....You must no t live in the city...Where are you located now????Generals 64

Prunepicker
04-17-2009, 09:24 PM
I had completely forgotten about Stockton's being there and about the Kerr
McGee Station. They were sometimes leaders in the Gas wars around town...
I thought that might have been one of Sheen's Drug Stores...

Was it a Wheeler-Stuckey? There were quite a few in town. There was one
across the street from Grant. How about Rexall or Veazy?

papaOU
04-17-2009, 10:31 PM
went to Fillmore, then Jefferson,

Fillmore East or West?

Jefferson Airplane or Starship?

Did you go to school with Don Wendt?:tiphat:

WazAnOkie
04-18-2009, 08:57 AM
You must not live in the city...Where are you located now????Generals 64

I live in St Charles, MO, near St Louis, and don't get back to OKC as often as I would like (or should).

I found this site by accident while searching for old memories, and boy what a find. A couple of other threads have brought up all kinds of names and places that I remember. When we do get back, we like to drive around looking for places we used to hang out, restuarants, etc.

Heck, we even still own property there (just S of 104th between Western and Walker)

FRISKY
04-18-2009, 09:30 AM
Heck, we even still own property there (just S of 104th between Western and Walker)We own some land there also. Is your plot of land deeper than it is wide?

papaOU
04-18-2009, 11:19 PM
We own some land there also. Is your plot of land deeper than it is wide?

Mine is!! There were some other members at the Coit's gathering who claimed to also have land there. Just think. Sometime in the future we may be able to have regular gatherings.

Generals64
04-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Mine is!! There were some other members at the Coit's gathering who claimed to also have land there. Just think. Sometime in the future we may be able to have regular gatherings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
You guys are sick.....I told my wife to get me a plastic bag (Black of course) and did a hole in the center median of I-35...I'm always there any way....

CarltonsKeeper
04-19-2009, 03:20 PM

Do you know what year the Western Dip at 51st closed down??????????? I say it was about 1961 give or take a year??

WazAnOkie
04-19-2009, 03:52 PM
Do you know what year the Western Dip at 51st closed down??????????? I say it was about 1961 give or take a year??

that is probably real close, I don't remember the exact year. I looked at the Oklahoma County assessors website, and the building there now (5201 S. Western) shows it was built in 1965.

I don't remember when the Western Dip closed, but do have vague memories of the reason Stocktons (on the other side of 51st) closed, due to a fire.

MonkeyBiz6903
04-19-2009, 04:53 PM
A guy named McGehee owned Western Dip, his brother Bill. Was married to my grandmother's cousin. Western Dip made good steak sandwiches. I could go for one of those right about now.

Generals64
04-19-2009, 07:36 PM
A guy named McGehee owned Western Dip, his brother Bill. Was married to my grandmother's cousin. Western Dip made good steak sandwiches. I could go for one of those right about now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
My sister was a car hop there in the middle to late fifties...13 cents and hour and tips....Big money ya know.....I like their Cheeseburgers and HUGE order of fries with Mustard.....Sheesh, my zantac just kicked in......You have to come to one of the meetings...

Prunepicker
04-19-2009, 08:35 PM
My sister was a car hop there in the middle to late fifties... 13 cents and hour
and tips... Big money ya know...

Especially when you include the tips from the high school clientele.

papaOU
04-19-2009, 10:19 PM
Especially when you include the tips from the high school clientele.

Should read, "when you include the tips from the MALE high school clientele."

But then again if she and '64 look anything alike the above is retracted.

Generals64
04-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Should read, "when you include the tips from the MALE high school clientele."

But then again if she and '64 look anything alike the above is retracted.
Thanks....did you get rid of the mullet yet??????

papaOU
04-23-2009, 12:43 AM

I have long hair!! Not a mullet. I wish you would get pants in the correct waist size. Those 2 sizes two small is preventing healthy blood flow.......

You guys just did not realize what you were getting when you let me in.

I have been to two "meetings" now. Therefore, if you decide to kick me out you need to understand that "communal property" is now in effect!!! :woowoo:

Generals64
05-02-2009, 10:33 AM
I have long hair!! Not a mullet. I wish you would get pants in the correct waist size. Those 2 sizes two small is preventing healthy blood flow.......

You guys just did not realize what you were getting when you let me in.

I have been to two "meetings" now. Therefore, if you decide to kick me out you need to understand that "communal property" is now in effect!!! :woowoo:
Hey my friend....no one wants to lose you.....You are the token Capitol Hill guy remember????? And, I'll have you know they are only 1 size too small. that's not a mullet????gosh and I had you confused with billy ray Cyrus.....You go guy......

Redskins/General
05-02-2009, 08:27 PM
Hey my friend....no one wants to lose you.....You are the token Capitol Hill guy remember????? And, I'll have you know they are only 1 size too small. that's not a mullet????gosh and I had you confused with billy ray Cyrus.....You go guy......
What does any of this "jibberish" have to do with the "Western Dip?"

papaOU
05-02-2009, 11:29 PM

Do you think it might have to do with there are not that memories of the "Western Dip" out there?

Generals64
11-18-2009, 10:47 AM
Hey:........with some newbies on the forum:...Any of you guys remember the Western dip?????Lots of discussion long time ago...Hmmmmmm?????

gen70
11-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Hey:........with some newbies on the forum:...Any of you guys remember the Western dip?????Lots of discussion long time ago...Hmmmmmm????? Hey 64!! Do you remember Mrs. Little who worked at the "Dip"? She was my best friends mother.

mugofbeer
11-18-2009, 11:22 AM
I don't remember the dip slide but I remember the one that used to be at 39th and Drexel on the north side that got hit by a tornado.

Generals64
11-18-2009, 11:53 AM
I don't remember the dip slide but I remember the one that used to be at 39th and Drexel on the north side that got hit by a tornado.
================================================== ===========
you guys are too young for the Western Dip.....the Western Dip was a hang-out for the kids from Grant....The dip you're talking about is the slide that was on about 65th and Western.....The place where a young kid pulled a Coke Machine over on himself.....didn't do him too good either...

papaOU
11-18-2009, 12:19 PM
================================================== ===========
you guys are too young for the Western Dip.....the Western Dip was a hang-out for the kids from Grant....The dip you're talking about is the slide that was on about 65th and Western.....The place where a young kid pulled a Coke Machine over on himself.....didn't do him too good either...

You see Grant was/is full of dips by their own admission!