View Full Version : Baseball!

Prunepicker
03-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Is there a greater sport?

NO!

Dodger Baseball! (http://losangeles.dodgers.mlb.com/la/fan_forum/inside_dodgertown.jsp?partnerId=ed-2263499-75291712&source=ed-2263499-75291712)

so1rfan
03-19-2009, 04:36 PM
I can't think of a better sport.

Why?

A team can be down 20+ runs in the bottom of the ninth with two outs, but until that third out, there is still a chance.

And extra innings... play until someone wins.

Tigers!!

jstanthrnme
03-19-2009, 05:13 PM

Unless its the 11th inning of an All-Star game.

That was really bad that they called that game a few years ago. That rule is one of my favorite things about the sport. My other favorite thing, Thirsty Thursdays.

I'm merely a casual fan. I really don't follow one team. I have typically watched STL, and the Cubs, I pay attention to the Braves too. Thats really only because of WGN, and TBS showing games as a kid.

I need to find a team to attatch to, preferably an NL team. Any suggestions?

Prunepicker
03-19-2009, 05:51 PM
Baseball Rocks!

Nothing has the excitement of Baseball!

jstanthrnme
03-19-2009, 06:26 PM
You're tellin me!
http://sportzfun.com/photos/albums/baseball/base_buddies.jpg
That's excitement!

bluedogok
03-19-2009, 06:27 PM
The Boston Red Sox are my team, I also follow the Cubs and Rangers. In most of our "big" vacations a baseball game (or some other sporting event like the F1 race at Indy a couple of years ago) is on the agenda. On our honeymoon six years ago (a driving one to Chicago) we went to a Royals-Indians game in KC, Cards-Giants game at the old Busch, and a Cubs-Cards game on July 4th at Wrigley. Last year we went to a Red Sox-Astros game in Houston and a Mets-Astros game at Shea. Going to try and get back up to Boston for a Sox-Yankees game this year. I also have MLB Extra Innings so I can watch the Red Sox and other games

Prunepicker
03-19-2009, 06:43 PM
The Boston Red Sox are my team..

I'm a die-hard Dodger fan, and have been since '55. The Bosox have been
my American league team since Yaz.

Yeah, Williams was playing in the 50's, but since he wasn't on my team I
didn't pay much attention to him. Too sad...

native
03-19-2009, 10:03 PM
I'm ready for baseball to. Can't wait. My NL team is the Cards and my AL team is the White sox (go south siders). Being fans of those two teams mean I HATE THE CUBS!

Prunepicker
03-19-2009, 10:21 PM
I can't think of a better sport.

Why?

A team can be down 20+ runs in the bottom of the ninth with two outs,
but until that third out, there is still a chance.

Tigers!!

You are so right. About 10 years ago Prunette and I were in Arlington.
The White Sox were pounding the Rangers like a drum. We were in the
cheap seats in right field behind the bull pin. At any rate, we decided to
leave. The score was 13 to 2, White Sox. As we were walking toward the
exit we kept hearing the crowd roaring louder and louder. By the time we
made to home the Rangers had scored 8 runs! We found some seat on the
3rd base side and waited. The excitement was like a million volts of
electricity running through us. About 30 or 40 minutes later the game
ended. The Rangers lost 13-12. But it was sooooooooo exciting!

Baseball Rocks!

LIL_WAYNE_4_PREZIDENT08
03-19-2009, 11:19 PM
[/QUOTE]I need to find a team to attatch to, preferably an NL team. Any suggestions?[/QUOTE]

The Pirates are always taking new fans, there are a few qualifications though

1. You must be very loyal... If your not it just won't work out.
2. Your gonna have to get used to losing. ( it just makes it that much greater when u actually win. )
3. If you have a favorite player he will probably get traded so never get too attached to any one player.

If you can handle those then welcome to the bandwagon!!

Prunepicker
03-20-2009, 12:51 AM
L'il Wayne,

4. You're nutz!

Bostonfan
03-20-2009, 10:45 AM
The Boston Red Sox are my team, I also follow the Cubs and Rangers. In most of our "big" vacations a baseball game (or some other sporting event like the F1 race at Indy a couple of years ago) is on the agenda. On our honeymoon six years ago (a driving one to Chicago) we went to a Royals-Indians game in KC, Cards-Giants game at the old Busch, and a Cubs-Cards game on July 4th at Wrigley. Last year we went to a Red Sox-Astros game in Houston and a Mets-Astros game at Shea. Going to try and get back up to Boston for a Sox-Yankees game this year. I also have MLB Extra Innings so I can watch the Red Sox and other games

Sox fan here as well. Saw a couple of games at Fenway a couple of years ago. Simply amazing. Can't wait to get back.

And Opening Day should be a national holiday.....

so1rfan
03-20-2009, 11:02 AM
I'll be the first to admit that unless you have some kind of attachment to a team (love em, hate em, favorite player, you know the bat boy etc) baseball on television can be boring (just like any sport).

But there is nothing like going to a game and watching it in person. There is always that game within the game, the chess battle between pitcher and batter. The moves and percentage plays that the manager makes. The sound of a ball when it snaps into the catchers mitt to end an inning, or the crack of the bat when you instantly know that ball is gone.

"The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It's been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt, and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game, is a part of our past, Ray. It reminds us of all that once was good, and it could be again. Ohhhhhhhh, people will come, Ray. People will most definitely come."

YouTube - Field Of dreams "James Earl Jones" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qXkcPQUfJM&feature=related)

CCOKC
03-21-2009, 09:20 PM
I love baseball but as a life long Reds fan (you can probably tell my age just from that fact) I have not had much to cheer for in the past 20 years. I still love to go to a game get a beer and just chill. I have been to games in Pittsburgh (the old 3 Rivers to see the big red machine in the late 70's) New York (the old Shea) Arlington (old and new, saw Bo Jackson hit a homer off of Nolan Ryan and if I had not had that 4th beer I could have caught that ball) Minneapolis (Kirby Puckett may he rest in peace) San Diego and St Louis (the old Busch several times. By far the best baseball fans around) I found that the best way to really enjoy baseball is to take each at bat as a mini game in itself.

Prunepicker
03-21-2009, 09:43 PM
... saw Bo Jackson hit a homer off of Nolan Ryan...
I saw Nolan Ryan strike out the first 8 Milwaukee batters. He was hot!
Then Ron Deer hit a double of him and Ryan suddenly turned cold. They
pounded him like a drum. What a sad night!

Lord Helmet
03-22-2009, 01:22 AM
Baseball Rocks!

Nothing has the excitement of Baseball!

excitement and baseball are mutually exclusive. snore.

LIL_WAYNE_4_PREZIDENT08
03-22-2009, 10:26 AM
basketball > baseball though

just my opinion

MadMonk
03-22-2009, 01:11 PM
excitement and baseball are mutually exclusive. snore.
Ever played? Just curious.

Lurker34
03-22-2009, 04:27 PM
The Milwaukee Brewers are always taking new fans, there are a few qualifications though

1. You must like beer! It makes losing easier to handle.
2. Nobody shows their games around here, so don't expect to actually see them play.
3. Be prepared to be hassled by Cubs fans. Anyone can be a Cubs fan, it takes a special kinda person to root for Milwaukee.
4. Be understanding. A lot of people don't even know Milwaukee has a baseball team.
5. Must like beer.
6. Don't expect to see them play in the World Series.
7. Even though you won't recognize any names on the team, that's okay, you can still root for them.
8. On the odd chance one of their games is shown on TV, you must grill some brats and consume massive quanities of beer. (see rule #1)
9. You must hate Bud Selig, he is the anti-christ.
10. Don't expect to see another Milwaukee fan in the state. I think there's only 3 of us.

If you can deal with this, welcome to "The Brew Crew"

bluedogok
03-22-2009, 06:19 PM

just my opinion
Officiating ruins basketball for me, I just can't stand the inconsistency at all levels. I use teams that I have no rooting interest as the judge, it still sucks. I grew up going to Abe Lemmon era OCU games and Waymon Tisdale and I were freshman at OU at the same year so I loved Billy Ball and the up/down game. It is football on hardwood anymore and the refs can't decide if they are going to let you beat the crap out of each other and not call it or call it if you breathe on someone. It just takes the fun out of watching for me.

Prunepicker
03-22-2009, 08:11 PM

just my opinion

You misspelled it. It's basketdull!

:LolLolLol

Prunepicker
03-22-2009, 08:12 PM
Ever played? Just curious.

I have, and for years. Couldn't make it to the Majors. I'd even played for
the Yankees. Well, maybe not.

Prunepicker
03-22-2009, 08:14 PM
The Milwaukee Brewers are always taking new fans, there are a few qualifications though...

The Dodgers Rock!

LIL_WAYNE_4_PREZIDENT08
03-22-2009, 08:40 PM
The Milwaukee Brewers are always taking new fans, there are a few qualifications though

1. You must like beer! It makes losing easier to handle.
2. Nobody shows their games around here, so don't expect to actually see them play.
3. Be prepared to be hassled by Cubs fans. Anyone can be a Cubs fan, it takes a special kinda person to root for Milwaukee.
4. Be understanding. A lot of people don't even know Milwaukee has a baseball team.
5. Must like beer.
6. Don't expect to see them play in the World Series.
7. Even though you won't recognize any names on the team, that's okay, you can still root for them.
8. On the odd chance one of their games is shown on TV, you must grill some brats and consume massive quanities of beer. (see rule #1)
9. You must hate Bud Selig, he is the anti-christ.
10. Don't expect to see another Milwaukee fan in the state. I think there's only 3 of us.

If you can deal with this, welcome to "The Brew Crew"

Wow way to completely copy off of me

you my friend are whats known as a biter in which u have all the qualifications

1. no originality
2. likes to copy

welcome to the biter club

Matt
03-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Don't expect to see another Milwaukee fan in the state. I think there's only 3 of us.

I was in the market for a new ballcap last year, and eventually settled on a Brewers cap--one of the main reasons being that I knew I would probably never ever see anyone else wearing a Brewers cap around town.

(And so far, I've been right.)

MadMonk
03-23-2009, 07:43 AM
Wow way to completely copy off of me

you my friend are whats known as a biter in which u have all the qualifications

1. no originality
2. likes to copy

welcome to the biter club
Biter club? You go around biting people? :LolLolLol

MadMonk
03-23-2009, 07:58 AM
I have, and for years. Couldn't make it to the Majors. I'd even played for
the Yankees. Well, maybe not.
I know that baseball can be a little dull watching it on TV (makes for a good nap if you need one), but for those of us who have played (even if it was at the HS level), it might be a little more interesting. I find soccer to be extremely boring to watch, but I've never played and can't really relate to the subtleties of the game. I'm wondering if it's the same for those who've never played baseball.

I love going to the Big 12 tourney and Redhawks games and can't wait to take my son to his first game this season. He was never interested in going before, but he's in his 2nd year of baseball now (machine pitch) and he's really getting into it. I need to see if we can get our team out to The Brick as a group this year sometime. Maybe go on a Sunday so that they can run the bases afterward - I think they'd really get a kick out of that.

LIL_WAYNE_4_PREZIDENT08
03-23-2009, 10:37 PM
Biter club? You go around biting people? :LolLolLol

iM NOT IN THE CLUB YOU ARE

so1rfan
03-24-2009, 07:55 AM
Basketball... where height equates to talent. How many times has a team taken a slow footed marginally talented guy just because he was 7 foot tall?

Regardless of the sport, unless you have some sort of attachment, watching it is going to be boring. I love American football but when Iowa State plays Baylor... snooze fest.

Football for example, I can't watch MLS because I don't care about any team, but come World Cup time I am glued to the tube when The US or Germany plays. Watching Lance Armstrong make history made the Tour de France exciting.

MadMonk
03-24-2009, 07:56 AM
iM NOT IN THE CLUB YOU ARE
Oh man, that is classic LW4P. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v291/Mad_Monk/Smileys/hysterical.gif

Boston Guy
03-24-2009, 08:27 PM
What about my Cubbies? No fans in OKC?

CCOKC
03-25-2009, 05:26 PM
Your avatar reminds me of a vegetarian restaurant in San Antonio called green. Kind of freaks me out a little. But no, as a Reds fan I am contractually obligated to root against the Cubs. Nothing personal you must understand.

MadMonk
03-26-2009, 09:54 AM
What about my Cubbies? No fans in OKC?
"Boston Guy" is not a Red Sox fan? :ohno:

Prunepicker
03-27-2009, 12:24 AM
"Boston Guy" is not a Red Sox fan? :ohno:

That's hard to believe. I'm a die-hard
Dodger fan

BUT, and you've noticed that it's a BIG BUT, the Redsox are my
Junior Circuit Team.

Prunette has had the opportunity to attend a game at
FENWAY PARK!

All I got was a cap... however... when Prunette came home all she could
say was MO VAUGHAN! That monster belted 2 homers into
Connecticutt.

Prunette was impressed. I was in OKC.

ACCCCCK!

so1rfan
03-27-2009, 09:57 AM
My first major league game I ever attended was at Fenway. It was around 1968 or so and I was probably seven years old. We sat in the right field bleachers and I remeber watching the scoreboard.

Oh yeah, some guy named Yaz knocked one out of the park.

Boston Guy
03-27-2009, 01:26 PM
My first game was at Wrigley Field... Cubs vs. Cards. After the game my dad brought me downstairs into the catacombs. Out of a big blue door came Ernie Banks and Ron Santo to talk with us... a Cubs fan ever since!

Prunepicker
03-27-2009, 01:42 PM
My first game was at Wrigley Field... Cubs vs. Cards. After the game my dad
brought me downstairs into the catacombs. Out of a big blue door came Ernie
Banks and Ron Santo to talk with us... a Cubs fan ever since!

That's awesome!

ultimatesooner
03-27-2009, 01:48 PM
baseball isn't even a real sport - they run inside and hide everytime it rains a little bit

Prunepicker
03-31-2009, 03:28 PM
The Bosox beat Tampa Bay 8-7 in Spring Training Baseball!

WAY TO GO, BOSTON!