View Full Version : Taxes

Thunder
03-18-2009, 06:05 AM
Obama or something different?

I dunno what exactly is happening.

Walmart
$8.50/hr with lil taxes. Take home money is a lot.

Target
$8.56/hr with a bunch of taxes. Take home money is less than above.

Both jobs above is on average 40 hours a week.

Crest
$6.55/hr with no federal tax. Take home money is more than expected.

What's up with that?!

My first paycheck from Crest was 45 cents for the federal tax. The second paycheck, which is a lot more, is showing no federal tax.

What's going on?

Anyone notice the tax reduction?

I know that Obama ordered the federal witholding to be reduced, but all the way down to basically nothing?

Or is it Crest, their business is different?

I also notice that none was taken out for the state tax!

Karried
03-18-2009, 07:36 AM
How many exemptions did you claim on your W4?

Was it the same for all employers?

spellchick
03-18-2009, 07:39 AM
My federal withholding went down significantly from $30 to $9 for two week's pay, and I make substantially more than $8.50/hr. I think it just depends on your situations as far as dependents and filing status, but I am far from being a tax expert. I would like to hear the technical explanation if anyone is inclined to share it.

Karried
03-18-2009, 09:21 AM
The Federal tax tables have changed and they have to be in effect by April 1st as far as I know.

I haven't put mine in yet.. guess I better go do that.

Thunder
03-18-2009, 06:38 PM
I don't think I have any exempt. I'm just single. I claimed 0 dependents. Just myself.

It's the same. I'm just kinda confused why I'm not paying the state tax and the federal tax is basically nothing. The MediCare and FICA (whatever that is) is ultra low.

I'm more concern that next year, when I file, the IRS is gonna be asking me for thousands!

DaveSkater
03-20-2009, 06:46 AM
I don't think I have any exempt. I'm just single. I claimed 0 dependents. Just myself.

It's the same. I'm just kinda confused why I'm not paying the state tax and the federal tax is basically nothing. The MediCare and FICA (whatever that is) is ultra low.

I'm more concern that next year, when I file, the IRS is gonna be asking me for thousands!

Yes, do be careful! That can happen if your employer or you miss something. If you're unclear, you could go down to the IRS office at 55 n. Robinson and get some expert advise for free.

Good luck!

PennyQuilts
03-20-2009, 09:04 AM

Probably not. Your income probably is low enough that other people will be carrying your water.

TGall
05-03-2009, 02:14 AM
I suggest you go to IRS web site and check out the new tax tables, and just do the math if your not having enough taken out tell your employer to take out more.