View Full Version : Amarillo Junction work to begin Friday

Patrick
01-19-2005, 12:22 AM
We've mentioned this work before....looks like it's starting Friday.

----------------

Interstate 40 improvement project begins Friday

1/19/2005

Journal Record Photo
Construction is scheduled to begin Friday on $12.5 million in improvements to Interstate 40 between May Avenue and MacArthur Boulevard.
The project includes installing a concrete barrier in the median between Interstate 44 and MacArthur, adding an access lane on I-40 westbound between Portland Avenue and Meridian Avenue and an additional lane to the westbound Meridian off-ramp.

A dedicated exit lane will also be added to westbound I-40 for motorists exiting northbound onto I-44. This lane will begin just west of the May Avenue exit and extend into the ramp, narrowing back to one lane as it approaches I-44.

Construction is expected to take about a year. Most of the work will be done weekdays from midnight to 6 a.m., but some work will be done during the day.

Work on the outside shoulders and access lanes will be done first so traffic can be moved to the outside lanes while the median barrier is being built, according to the Oklahoma Department of Transportation. Once the median barrier is complete, pavement repairs will be made to the existing lanes. The I-44 ramp modifications are expected to take place this spring.

Almost 130,000 vehicles travel I-40 in this area daily. More than 10 percent of the traffic is heavy trucks.

The contract was awarded to Haskell Lemon Construction, Oklahoma City, in August.

Luke
01-19-2005, 04:27 AM
So basically, with the I-40 realignment and then improvements like the one stated above, I-40 will be under construction from Eastern to MacArthur for the next decade or so.

Patrick
01-19-2005, 01:59 PM
Sounds like it. But I think the improvements to that junction will be worthwhile. Most of the off ramps from the junction give you a designated lane There are a few exceptions though......most notably the ramp coming from I-44 Northbound to I-40 westbound. Those few exceptions will be remedied by these updates, and will prevent the need to lane changes right away.

Midtowner
01-19-2005, 02:10 PM
By the time we finish these improvements, cars will be able to fly.

What a waste of money ;)

Luke
01-19-2005, 07:49 PM
By the time we finish these improvements, cars will be able to fly.

What a waste of money ;)

Heh heh.

Seriously, as much as it may be a pain for many drivers for the next ten years of their lives (wow...), I'm glad they're doing this.

Mostly because for the most part I don't drive on I-40 West of I-235... :D

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-19-2005, 07:54 PM
The intersection that I sometimes drive on is usually quite bad, especially on I 40 eastbound between I 44 and Portland. The part of I 44 between the intersection and NW 10th St can be really rigourous too. This construction is a good idea. The barrier rip off part might be helpful too, there are a lot of recks usually.