View Full Version : I don't get it - Coed Leisure?

BBatesokc
03-05-2009, 07:38 AM
My son came home today from high school (junior) with his schedule for next year. I'm very proud of the fact he could actually be done with high school in December of his Senior year as he has met the 61 required credits. But he wants to get his GPA as high as he can to get more assistance with college, etc.

My concern came when I saw some of the class offerings to students in high school. The one that stuck out the most was "Coed Leisure."

I asked what that was and he said "basically guys and girls in one room playing ping pong." What the heck?

His high school offers virtually no extra circular activities because of "budget constraints", has cut back on art and music and sports, but they offer "Coed Leisure."

Trust me, from what I've seen, most high school kids already get way too much coed leisure as it is.

Have you noticed any of your kids schools offering weird classes?

USG '60
03-05-2009, 07:45 AM
I guess that is 21st century PE, huh? Gad zooks.

bandnerd
03-05-2009, 08:23 AM
Wow.

DaveSkater
03-05-2009, 03:53 PM
I'll bet there's a waiting list for that class. Do they pass out condoms?

kevinpate
03-05-2009, 06:38 PM
No Condoms, but plenty of paddles. Ping Pong huh? So that's what it's called in the 21sr Century?

southernskye
03-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Umm, simple. Call the school.

metro
03-06-2009, 09:02 AM
Maybe you could tape the class and put it on YouTube? Then the Oklahoma legislature could pick up on the video in about 5 years and do something about the lack of challenging classes.

Thunder
03-06-2009, 11:01 AM
I don't see anything wrong with it.

Dividing the males and females is like dividing the whites and colored.

They interact and play all sort of sports together, but when it come to the locker rooms, they each have their own, one for the males and the other for the females.

Why panic?

Midtowner
03-06-2009, 11:32 AM

Uh no..

kevinpate
03-07-2009, 03:59 AM
> Dividing the males and females is like dividing the whites and colored.

What does doing the launfry have to do with PE?

BailJumper
03-07-2009, 05:47 PM
I don't see anything wrong with it.

They interact and play all sort of sports together, but when it come to the locker rooms, they each have their own, one for the males and the other for the females.

Why panic?

I'm getting in to this late, but I don't think anyone was concerned about girls and boys together. I think what was being questioned was dedicating an hour of classroom time to "coed leisure." Looks to me to be a waste of time and tax dollars.

Thunder
03-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Looks to me to be a waste of time and tax dollars.

It is not a waste of time and tax dollars. It's like Gym/PE, Crosscountry Dance Steps, and things like that. People need social time, a much relaxed break from mental crackdown in classes.

andy157
03-07-2009, 09:27 PM
> Dividing the males and females is like dividing the whites and colored.

What does doing the launfry have to do with PE?
Excellent question. I like it.

BailJumper
03-08-2009, 07:59 PM
It is not a waste of time and tax dollars. It's like Gym/PE, Crosscountry Dance Steps, and things like that. People need social time, a much relaxed break from mental crackdown in classes.

Give me break. If "social time" is so important then why do so many city schools no longer offer non-formal dances, pep rallies, carnivals, etc.?

School isn't about social time, its about a curriculum and utilizing a limited amount of time to TEACH.

"Mental crackdown in classes"... You obviously haven't been in the typical OKC high school in awhile. My sister is an OKC school teacher and she often remarks at how the schools are dumbed down to make sure more kids pass.

Prunepicker
03-09-2009, 12:14 AM
My concern came when I saw some of the class offerings to students in
high school. The one that stuck out the most was "Coed Leisure."

I asked what that was and he said "basically guys and girls in one room
playing ping pong." What the heck?

This is quite disheartening for you and others with children in government
schools.

When I was a youngster, back in the day when government schools were
very much into educating, we had intramural events. This included
flag football, basketball, wrestling and many other fun and productive sports.

They didn't cost the school anything! Why aren't they used in today's
government school system? I have no idea.

I suggest that you protest vehemently and not require the government to
do what's in the best interest of your child.

REVOLT!

As long as responsible parents allow silliness to be the norm in the
government schools, then the government schools are going to employ
more silliness. Think about it!