View Full Version : Uniquely Okie

NativeOkie
03-13-2009, 04:43 PM
Okay here we go.
Many of us Okies now live abroad or maybe you lived outside the Sooner State at one time or another. What did you miss most about Oklahoma that makes it such a special place?

I will start with this.
People waving at you in the car as you pass.
People talking to you in the check out line or at another table while out to eat.
Bottom line friendly folks.

next thought;
Change in weather often times in the same day.
I miss Thunderstorms and lightening.

food things are coming to mind... braum's and Bar BQ.
have you ever noticed how much of an Okies life revolves around food?
More dining establishments than churches, (maybe) I don't know that may be something to look into... Are there more churches or food places in OKC?

Friday night football I miss that.
every community across the state is planning on going to state and the stands are filled.

These are a few things you don't see in other parts of the country.
I may come up with more.

Bottom line for all of it's faults I am blessed to be from there and you are blessed to live there. trust me on that!

PennyQuilts
03-13-2009, 06:24 PM
I'm another Okie in exile - and everything you wrote tugged at my heart.

I miss the Oklahoma air - it is just alive. A brewing storm is one of the most thrilling experiences on earth.

The sunrises/sunsets.

The smell of rain in late August.

Big ole pickup trucks.

Oklahoma car tags. Laugh if you must but I just about wreck the car when I see one.

The long view.

Annual Cultural Events - Redbud Classic, Arts Festival, etc.

N. Western Ave.

I just have to repeat thunder and lightning.

The change in the land from East OKC and West OKC.

Native Cedars.

Sane traffic levels.

Sunshine.

Baking heat in the summer.

Rain hitting hot pavement and cooling it down enough to walk on - and the smell when it hits.

Springtime in Oklahoma is the best kept secret. In contrast, I refer to the east coast spring as the season of mud.

The Oklahoma City skyline against a blue sky.

The Native American influence.

Crisp clouds and Thunderheads.

Many of these things aren't "better" than other places, but they mean home, to me.

Generals64
03-14-2009, 11:27 AM
Whew!!!! you guys haven't been home in a while have you?? Come back for a visit the first week in May, we'll watch the Tornadoes go to Swadley's for Bar-B-Que...Braums for Dessert and watch the people wave at you with one Finger.....Just completely "Kidding". Great to have some involvement away from the State...You guys are most definitely Tre "Okies" by birth and remained by choice.
By the tone of some of your memories you guys must be originally Northsiders.....Hoo-Ray we got you hooked ...Join in and tell us your old Memories of our Great Town. Do you remember when the Governor was making people an "Official Okie"? it was about 1968-69 somewhere in there. I had put together a display (made in Oklahoma) for TG&Y Stores. And, since TG&Y was participating in all the Hoopla they (Governor's Office) and made me (for TG&Y) the first tru OKIE...Whoopee. It took me years to get that behind me and now I bring it up intentionally???? Sheesh...........Great to have you aboard ship...Generals64...........See ya next time...Oh yeah, I still have the pin....

TaoMaas
03-14-2009, 02:53 PM
Come back for a visit the first week in May, we'll watch the Tornadoes.... I'll always say that this is how you can tell the native Okies. When the tornado siren goes off, transplants head for the cellar, while native Okies go outside to see if they can spot the tornado. lol I've never lived outside Oklahoma, but I've had a few friends who moved away, but then came back for visits. The first thing they always want to do is go eat Mexican food or go to Sonic. ECO mentioned the long view. I heard an interview with Jimmy Webb, the songwriter, and he said that he liked coming back to Oklahoma because he gets the same sense of boundlessness from the prairie that he gets from the ocean. I'd never thought of it that way before, but I can certainly see it.

MadMonk
03-14-2009, 02:54 PM
The long view.
Rain hitting hot pavement and cooling it down enough to walk on - and the smell when it hits.

Those are two of my favorites. I'm originally from the east coast so when we moved out here, the way you could look for miles in any direction (without being on a mountain top) was stunning to me. However, I do miss the mountains and forests full of huge pines. I took my kids back east last fall to visit family and they were amazed at how big the pine trees were on my mom's property. :smile:

TaoMaas
03-14-2009, 02:56 PM
I'm originally from the east coast so when we moved out here, the way you could look for miles in any direction (without being on a mountain top) was stunning to me. I had a friend visit from Massachusetts who commented on the same thing. She kept talking about how beautiful it was here. I'd look around and say, "What?" She'd say, "THAT!" and point outside. I said, "I don't see anything." She said, "Right! You can see forever." I nodded and said, "Well, that's certainly true." lol I have to say that she did give me a new appreciation of what Oklahoma has to offer.

NativeOkie
03-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Okay Here is one...
In Oklahoma you have a shot at getting out of a ticket.
No way in California, The cops have no personality.

Another thing I miss is Indian Summer, and hearing geese flying overhead.

Things I DON'T miss SMOKING SECTIONS.
I was back home not long ago and could not believe the number of smokers.

Is Gary England still around with his Take cover now?
I used to hear that while heading outside to watch.

PennyQuilts
03-14-2009, 04:31 PM
We have beautiful, tall trees here but when I have to drive somewhere and go on an overpass that rises up above the trees, my heart just turns over to be able to see so far. It gets in your blood.

I also love the monarchs in the fall.

Hiking in the Wichitas, especially in June when the wildflowers are up.

I started to say Sonic but they put one in about 25 miles from here - and we go there, sometimes, just for a taste of home.

I know I've mentioned it earlier, but springtime. I honestly had no appreciation for Oklahoma springtime until I left.

I miss the sandy Oklahoma soil. You can actually dig a garden in it.

This time of year I miss bermuda grass - you don't end up walking in mud - although I sure don't miss the way it jumps into flowerbeds.

Sirens at noon on Saturday.

Not just Oklahoma but I miss the armadillos.

I miss Pearls' gumbo. It may not be the absolute best but I miss it. And I also miss the cheese bread at the Pepperoni Grill.

I miss the sculpture of the three women up on 63rd and Villa. And their Christmas wreaths.

I miss driving down through Mesta Park because of the contrast with much of the rest of the city. And I miss the wind tunnels downtown. I used to hate wearing a skirt down there because it was such wind hazard.

I miss cows. I don't necessarily want to kiss 'em but the landscape ought to have cows in it, somewhere.

I miss the Classen Grill. I used to live near there and loved their orange juice.

Generals64
03-14-2009, 05:11 PM
We have beautiful, tall trees here but when I have to drive somewhere and go on an overpass that rises up above the trees, my heart just turns over to be able to see so far. It gets in your blood.

I also love the monarchs in the fall.

Hiking in the Wichitas, especially in June when the wildflowers are up.

I started to say Sonic but they put one in about 25 miles from here - and we go there, sometimes, just for a taste of home.

I know I've mentioned it earlier, but springtime. I honestly had no appreciation for Oklahoma springtime until I left.

I miss the sandy Oklahoma soil. You can actually dig a garden in it.

This time of year I miss bermuda grass - you don't end up walking in mud - although I sure don't miss the way it jumps into flowerbeds.

Sirens at noon on Saturday.

Not just Oklahoma but I miss the armadillos.

I miss Pearls' gumbo. It may not be the absolute best but I miss it. And I also miss the cheese bread at the Pepperoni Grill.

I miss the sculpture of the three women up on 63rd and Villa. And their Christmas wreaths.

I miss driving down through Mesta Park because of the contrast with much of the rest of the city. And I miss the wind tunnels downtown. I used to hate wearing a skirt down there because it was such wind hazard.

I miss cows. I don't necessarily want to kiss 'em but the lanscape ought to have cows in it, somewhere.

I miss the Classen Grill. I used to live near there and loved their orange juice.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
My son lives in Mesta Park...the guys loved the wind tunnels down town
and I've been outside all day today getting the grass ready...Wher on the east coast do you live now....And, I've got some horses you can kiss if you really want to next time you come back....but, I want to have my camera with me.....Thanks for getting involved with the threads

bluedogok
03-14-2009, 05:31 PM
I'll always say that this is how you can tell the native Okies. When the tornado siren goes off, transplants head for the cellar, while native Okies go outside to see if they can spot the tornado. lol
Yep, the weatherman for one of the TV stations here in Austin grew up in Lindsay, he gets "Gary England excited" whenever we have a chance for severe weather.

I think food is important in most places, whether it is a big city or small town. "Food" is important in most people lives whether you are in NYC/Chicago or OKC or any small town cafe. I still haven't found as good of a chicken fry as Chuck House or Ann's down here, Hill's Cafe is pretty good, (has my sister's stamp of approval) but it just isn't the same.

Karried
03-14-2009, 05:37 PM
In Oklahoma you have a shot at getting out of a ticket.
No way in California, The cops have no personality.

That is simply not true...I've gotten out of 2 out of 4 tickets in CA. (over close to 30 years).

One was for a busted tailight and one for speeding.

The other two I deserved.. I was driving my brand new 300ZX down Highway 5 coming from Oregon over 100 mph ( very stupid.. I was only 21) at least he didn't arrest me although he said he could have ... and the other time, I passed a semi who was kicking rocks back onto the same car ( that car got me in a lot of trouble.. Bright Cherry Red) the cop was a jerk on that one but I went to traffic school.

I've never had the opportunity to try here and don't plan on it so I can't compare.

PennyQuilts
03-14-2009, 06:36 PM
That is simply not true...I've gotten out of 2 out of 4 tickets in CA. (over close to 30 years).

Hmmm. Is NativeOkie a cute girl? I'm wondering if that might have made the difference.. :dizzy:

PennyQuilts
03-14-2009, 06:41 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
My son lives in Mesta Park...the guys loved the wind tunnels down town
and I've been outside all day today getting the grass ready...Wher on the east coast do you live now....

I'm in Northern Virginia just south of DC.

My younger brother still laughs about a little old lady that he saw downtown when he was up on a roof doing some construction of some sort. Her long skirt flew up over her head and she couldn't get it down. For that matter, her arms were trapped inside her inside out skirt. He said she had on little old lady bloomers and he laughed so hard he nearly fell off the scaffolding.

NativeOkie
03-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Sorry ECO
Not cute and Not female.

I thought of something else I miss.
In High School we used to cruise 39th after football games.
I miss the news being on at 10pm
Cows for certain.

PennyQuilts
03-14-2009, 07:12 PM
Oh god, I understand what you mean about central time being "American" time. Thanks for reminding me. Being in the heart of the continental United States just balances out the work day.

It still freaks me out that "east of the Mississippi" is frequently still west of me. That is so wrong. I bet having the rockies east of you is just as disconcerting.

PennyQuilts
03-14-2009, 07:20 PM
When you coming home, NativeOkie? (and did anyone notice that both of us in exile use "okie" in our name. At some point, for me, "okie" quit feeling hickish and became something for which I have a great affection. I always loved Oklahoma but I can promise you I had no idea I'd miss it like this when I was gone.

workman45
03-14-2009, 07:32 PM
Watching anvil heads build, up and up, till they flatened out and the electricity in the air. Northern Idaho had some good snow storms but most of the weather out there is so bland. I spent over a decade west of the rockies, Central California and North Idaho.

PennyQuilts
03-14-2009, 07:36 PM
Being around horses and other animals when a storm is building. They get as excited as I do.

PennyQuilts
03-15-2009, 08:54 AM
And the AWACS. I miss watching them.

Generals64
03-15-2009, 11:43 AM
And the AWACS. I miss watching them.

I think you just got elected President of the AWACS watching club......My neighbor is the Pilot for one of those monsters...He has some great and then some horror stories....

PennyQuilts
03-15-2009, 12:24 PM
I grew up out on the East side and watched them land for years - they come in long and straight. I didn't have a dad or brother in the house (or anyone with military or aviation knowledge) and had no idea what in the world those things were - and didn't think to ask. I mean, I knew they were military craft but they were just do weird looking. It wasn't until I got married that my husband told me what they were. How warped is that?

NativeOkie
03-17-2009, 12:13 PM
Thinking of the month of April, Something that is true Oklahoma is the land run. 89'ers.
I remember every year in elementary school staging a land run on the playground.
They also had Sadie Hawkens? day something about the girls chasing the boys can't recall all of that one. For some reason that was not as important at the time. Do they still do 89'er day or has political correctness killed that as well?

TaoMaas
03-17-2009, 12:44 PM
They also had Sadie Hawkens? day something about the girls chasing the boys can't recall all of that one.
LOL I think that died out with the Lil Abner comic strip.

grantgeneral78
03-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Thinking of the month of April, Something that is true Oklahoma is the land run. 89'ers.
I remember every year in elementary school staging a land run on the playground.
They also had Sadie Hawkens? day something about the girls chasing the boys can't recall all of that one. For some reason that was not as important at the time. Do they still do 89'er day or has political correctness killed that as well?

They still have it. Your fixing to miss out on tornado season also.

Prunepicker
03-17-2009, 09:55 PM
I heard an interview with Jimmy Webb, the songwriter, and he said that he
liked coming back to Oklahoma because he gets the same sense of
boundlessness from the prairie that he gets from the ocean. I'd never thought
of it that way before, but I can certainly see it.

The open range in the panhandle is something to behold. In May it looks like
an ocean.

Prunepicker
03-17-2009, 09:59 PM
Thinking of the month of April, Something that is true Oklahoma is the land
run. 89'ers.I remember every year in elementary school staging a land run on
the playground. They also had Sadie Hawkens? day something about the girls
chasing the boys can't recall all of that one. For some reason that was not as
important at the time. Do they still do 89'er day or has political correctness
killed that as well?

The landrun in elementary school was the best. We got to bring wagons and
dress up like cowboys.

Sadie Hawkin's day was when the gals asked the guys out. It seems to me
that we were auctioned off in junior high. Of course, that kind of fun went
out with pc.

NativeOkie
03-18-2009, 12:22 AM
The landrun in elementary school was the best. We got to bring wagons and
dress up like cowboys.

Sadie Hawkin's day was when the gals asked the guys out. It seems to me
that we were auctioned off in junior high. Of course, that kind of fun went
out with pc.

I recall in the school land run Mr. Knippers (the principal) and yes that was his name would shoot a starters pistol to mark the beginning of the run. Imagine the principle doing that today.

TaoMaas
03-18-2009, 06:59 AM
The open range in the panhandle is something to behold. In May it looks like an ocean. It is unlike other parts of the state, isn't it? Hardly any trees from horizon to horizon. When I drive through it, I'm always struck by what hardy individuals it must have taken to live in that area.

Generals64
03-19-2009, 03:05 PM
It is unlike other parts of the state, isn't it? Hardly any trees from horizon to horizon. When I drive through it, I'm always struck by what hardy individuals it must have taken to live in that area.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My wife is a Quilter and also collects quilts. So, for a Good Guy Gift I bought her an antique quilt dated 1909. She is going to enter it in the state fair this year since it is now 100 years old. I tried to do some research on it and by a stroke of luck I actually found who the quilt was made for, the names (friendship quilt) that were on it were found etc. Those people move (covered wagon) from Ohio to the Oklahoma Panhandle and then part of them moved on the La Junta, Colorado. Can you imagine doing that? The quilt was bought in an estate auction and ended up in Springer, New Mexico and then we now have it back Oklahoma....So, from Ohio to Okla. to New Mexico and back to Oklahoma quite a trip for a 100 year old quilt...Huh????

PennyQuilts
03-19-2009, 03:36 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My wife is a Quilter and also collects quilts. So, for a Good Guy Gift I bought her an antique quilt dated 1909. She is going to enter it in the state fair this year since it is now 100 years old. I tried to do some research on it and by a stroke of luck I actually found who the quilt was made for, the names (friendship quilt) that were on it were found etc. Those people move (covered wagon) from Ohio to the Oklahoma Panhandle and then part of them moved on the La Junta, Colorado. Can you imagine doing that? The quilt was bought in an estate auction and ended up in Springer, New Mexico and then we now have it back Oklahoma....So, from Ohio to Okla. to New Mexico and back to Oklahoma quite a trip for a 100 year old quilt...Huh????

Oh, that's lovely and you are a WONDERFUL husband, clearly!

Generals64
03-20-2009, 02:09 PM
Oh, that's lovely and you are a WONDERFUL husband, clearly!
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````````

CAN I QUOTE YOU ON THAT???? Just kidding...We've been married going on 43 years and she's the best friend I have. We have more fun just digging in the small town "Junk" stores than just about anything. Marriage has always been more than a piece of paper and a credit card to us.....Thanks....Generals64.

NativeOkie
03-23-2009, 03:03 PM
This may take this tread in a direction it should not go, however I could not decide where to place it if I began a new one so here we go.
The Land run of 1889 is obviously Okie. I understand 120 years is a long time but I was wondering how many people who received free land (Gov. Bailout of 1889) still have that land in their family today?
My guess would be very few.
I had an economics professor years ago state that if you took all of the wealth in America and spread it out equally that it would take a while but most of the money would find its way back home.
Meaning the Capitalist and the person willing to work and take risks would eventually own what you were given free.

I have been searching for people who still own the land their families ran for in 1889.

(if this needs to be moved to political I am sorry and feel free to move it)

Generals64
03-23-2009, 03:55 PM
This may take this tread in a direction it should not go, however I could not decide where to place it if I began a new one so here we go.
The Land run of 1889 is obviously Okie. I understand 120 years is a long time but I was wondering how many people who received free land (Gov. Bailout of 1889) still have that land in their family today?
I had an economics professor years ago state that if you took all of the wealth in America and spread it out equally that it would take a while but most of the money would find its way back home.
Meaning the Capitalist and the person willing to work and take risks would eventually own what you were given free.

I have been searching for people who still own the land their families ran for in 1889.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey girl:...I have a friend that his family made the run and his father and he still own it in Moore...

Prunepicker
03-23-2009, 06:35 PM
This may take this tread in a direction it should not go, however I could not
decide where to place it if I began a new one so here we go.
The Land run of 1889 is obviously Okie. I understand 120 years is a long
time but I was wondering how many people who received free land (Gov.
Bailout of 1889) still have that land in their family today?
I had an economics professor years ago state that if you took all of the
wealth in America and spread it out equally that it would take a while but
most of the money would find its way back home.
Meaning the Capitalist and the person willing to work and take risks would
eventually own what you were given free.

Gen64 knows some people and I've know a few who still own their property.
They're capitalists!

Your economics prof was right. Not that capitalism is bad, it's just that
people are greedy and are thrilled at what they believe to be a profit!

Risk takers prosper while "get it now" doesn't.

Generals64
03-26-2009, 04:55 PM
[QUOTE=NativeOkie;210467]This may take this tread in a direction it should not go, however I could not decide where to place it if I began a new one so here we go.
I had an economics professor years ago state that if you took all of the wealth in America and spread it out equally that it would take

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you any TRUE idea where the actual run of '89 took off in the central part of the state????I have asked this question many times...Some say Purcell but even they don't know exactly where...How about you???

Prunepicker
03-27-2009, 12:49 AM
The Land run of 1889 is obviously Okie. I understand 120 years is a long time
but I was wondering how many people who received free land (Gov. Bailout of
1889) still have that land in their family today?

Government Bailout money?
Are you looking for a fight or just trying to get beat up?

Government Bailout money... get out of here...

Generals64
03-27-2009, 09:15 AM
Government Bailout money?
Are you looking for a fight or just trying to get beat up?

Government Bailout money... get out of here...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow, we'll discuss the matter.....or whatever.....or a Hot Dog and a FROSTED Root Beer...or we can forget the Frosted Root....

Generals64
05-14-2009, 08:54 PM
seeing this thread (seems to be retired) I still would like to know the exact location of the land run 1889...Does anyone know?????

Prunepicker
05-14-2009, 09:53 PM
seeing this thread (seems to be retired) I still would like to know the exact
location of the land run 1889... Does anyone know?

Here's a link to Wikipedia. Land Run of 1889 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_Run_of_1889)

All I know is that it was in central Oklahoma and started around Guthrie, as
the north boundary.

papaOU
05-14-2009, 10:02 PM
seeing this thread (seems to be retired) I still would like to know the exact location of the land run 1889...Does anyone know?????

I can look through some books I have for a better description if you need it.

Below info. from:

LAND RUN of 1889

digital.library.okstate.edu/encyclopedia/entries/L/LA014.html - 20k

The Unassigned Lands, left vacant in the post-Civil War effort to create reservations for Plains Indians and other tribes, were considered some of the best unoccupied public land in the nation. The surrounding tribal-owned lands included the Cherokee Outlet on the north, bordering Kansas; the Iowa, Kickapoo, and Pottawatomie reservations on the east; and the Cheyenne and Arapaho Reservation on the west. These, too, would later be opened to settlement. To the south lay the Chickasaw Nation.

In the spring of 1889 the largest accumulations of would-be settlers massed in camps at the Kansas border towns, mainly at the railroad towns of Arkansas City and Caldwell. With people being restrained there by U.S. troops, the boomer camps grew larger and larger. On the south, however, long lines of white-sailed wagons wound their way up from Texas directly to the south line of the Unassigned Lands at Purcell in the Chickasaw Nation. From that point many of the settlers moved northward up the eastern line and along the main (south) branch of the Canadian River, which formed the southern boundary of the target area. On the west, clusters of drought-stricken families from the Texas Panhandle and No Man's Land flooded to the boundary near Fort Reno and west of Kingfisher stage station.

The anxious crowds at Arkansas City and Caldwell demanded and received permission to begin on April 18 their journey across the Cherokee Outlet. Following a nighttime rainstorm, U.S. troops began leading long trains of settler wagons over muddy trails across the Cherokee Outlet toward their "promised land." One memorable event during the Arkansas City exodus occurred when the contingent crossed the flooded Salt Fork of the Arkansas River. They tore boards from a nearby Santa Fe Railway station and planked the railroad bridge that spanned the river. Settlers then unhitched their teams, pulled their wagons, and led their horses across the bridge.

The Caldwell crowd, a harmonious and happy conglomeration of ten thousand farmers, cowboys, and old soldiers in buggies, wagons, and on horseback, helped one another ford the Cimarron River before making final camp at Buffalo Springs north of Kingfisher. There on the day before the opening, Easter Sunday, they played baseball, held foot races, and conducted religious services. The frontier fellowship continued that night when the old army-camp call of "Oh, Joe, here's your mule!" circulated from one bed site to another through the darkness.

Many hopeful land-seekers at Arkansas City intended to ride in on the Santa Fe Railway line that crossed the territory through the very heart of the Oklahoma Lands. Similarly, thousands crowded the station at Purcell, filling a special "boomer train" to overflowing.

Rail stations at Guthrie, Edmond, Oklahoma (City), Verbeck (Moore), and Norman, created when the line was built in 1886-87, offered high potential for townsites. Kingfisher, not then a rail town but a land office location like Guthrie, was also a site of choice for settlers and townsite companies.

Although the opening was directed principally to agricultural allotments, many who made the run were just as

There used to be Historical Markers along state highways. Not sure about that today.

Generals64
06-16-2009, 05:05 PM
I have re-read this thread and I remember so many true "OKIE" plans and things from our past. Yesterday I saw a memory still in existence on south May at what was know as "Sand Town". There is a Railroad car from the Wilson packing company that a family had moved in there a long time ago and lived in it....It's still there along with a few other houses. Some people don't ever want to be called and "OKIE" but I am extremely proud of my heritage....How about you????
People like the ones in old "Sand Town" were the backbone of this nation. They never gave up they kept plowing while others in the nation were jumping out of Business windows....The Okies from back then were there then, through the "Great War"...the second World War and through all other types of problems but, they NEVER gave up.....

gen70
06-18-2009, 07:47 AM
I gotta tell this story. I met this guy at work and we got to talking so I ask him where's he's from and he says Texas. I then reply What! Texxasss? And he says please don't hold it against me, I came to Oklahoma as soon as I learned to swim. I LMAO. We became good friends.

papaOU
06-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Now days a "true okie" is a wetback that made it through Texass.

grantgeneral78
06-18-2009, 03:44 PM
Now days a "true okie" is a wetback that made it through Texass.

hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!

Generals64
06-18-2009, 04:19 PM
hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!

si Senor'

Generals64
10-22-2009, 12:18 PM
si Senor'

Just found out that one of the ORIGINAL land run sites of 1889 was in Lexington, Oklahoma and around Purcell...My next project is to find out exactly where...

papaOU
10-23-2009, 01:36 AM
The markers may not be where the starting line was, but will tell you how far away the actual run started. Many historical sites are on private property.
At one time there were historical markers all around the state. Don't know if they replace them when needed or not. I have tried several times to find the original Ft. Arbuckle. It is west of I35.

Generals64
10-24-2009, 08:43 AM
The markers may not be where the starting line was, but will tell you how far away the actual run started. Many historical sites are on private property.
At one time there were historical markers all around the state. Don't know if they replace them when needed or not. I have tried several times to find the original Ft. Arbuckle. It is west of I35.

================================================== ============
Now that I am officially on the government payroll, I'd be game for a road trip. I'd like to see that myself....(social Security kicked in).....

rowdy55ok
10-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Just found out that one of the ORIGINAL land run sites of 1889 was in Lexington, Oklahoma and around Purcell...My next project is to find out exactly where...

My ancestral neck of the woods. My great grandfather got land in Lexington during the land run. I can show you the land. The old homestead used to be on it, now it's a sad little trailer park.

AND we did not come through Texas, came out of Kansas. GreatGrandma stayed in Kansas to deliver my Grandpa who was born Sep. 1889.