View Full Version : Old People with Memories

metro
03-11-2009, 03:48 PM
This one can be fun. What is your memory on old people with memories?:LolLolLol

Generals64
03-11-2009, 04:00 PM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've got a bunch of these...remember I'm one of those old people....However, about eight years ago a friend of mine re married...At 84 years old he was pretty dapper...The lady he married was pretty foxy......The memory was almost there... as he asked me" What do you call those things we used to buy at the Drug Store"? Uh........what do you mean??????...well, you know, tonight's my wedding night.....I call his 64 year son over and he had the talk....He had the memory he just didn't know what he was remembering....Loved him to death...There's more to it but, I'll save that for another time... What was he worrying about?????? Oh my Gosh!!!!!

PennyQuilts
03-11-2009, 06:14 PM
I am not really sure I understand the thread but it looks entertaining.

grantgeneral78
03-11-2009, 06:25 PM
I am not sure I know what it means either but we will see ....LOL

NativeOkie
03-11-2009, 06:26 PM
My favorite was my Grandfather who would point out where "nothing was before"
example we would drive near lake Hefner and he would mention that none of this was there. only fields.
i would tease him by asking "nothing was here?" so this was the edge of the world? the Abyss!
I hate I was so sarcastic with Him. Makes you miss them more.
Now I know I am getting older when I know where things were not.

PennyQuilts
03-11-2009, 06:56 PM
My grandmother used to tell the most outrageous stories about all the things she'd done in her life. She swore she "dined before kings and queens" and had traveled through Europe and that some "Big Band" members once sent her a corsage made of hundred dollar bills. She had about a zillion stories like that. As a kid, I believed every bit of it. It never occured to me that she was making anything up.

Her mother (my great grandmother) lived with her and always just listened. After she had a stroke, I went to visit her and grandmother started into her stories (I was about twenty years old, then). This time, with her impulse control a bit weakened, my great grandmother interrupted and said, "You haven't even been to Mexico and if anyone from a Big Band sent you any money, it was for services rendered."

Grandmother began sputtering (but didn't deny it), and I made up an excuse to get out of there. You've have to understand how demure and soft spoken my great grandmother was to appreciate what a liberating moment that was.

NativeOkie
03-11-2009, 07:27 PM
My Great Grandmother lived off of S. Agnew, she died in 1986 at 97 or 98 years old she used to tell stories of what OKC was like when she was a young girl wish I would have written them down. One thing I remember was she saw Belle Star one day there in town.

Generals64
03-11-2009, 07:31 PM
My grandmother used to tell the most outrageous stories about all the things she'd done in her life. She swore she "dined before kings and queens" and had traveled through Europe and that some "Big Band" members once sent her a corsage made of hundred dollar bills. She had about a zillion stories like that. As a kid, I believed every bit of it. It never occured to me that she was making anything up.

Her mother (my great grandmother) lived with her and always just listened. After she had a stroke, I went to visit her and grandmother started into her stories (I was about twenty years old, then). This time, with her impulse control a bit weakened, my great grandmother interrupted and said, "You haven't even been to Mexico and if anyone from a Big Band sent you any money, it was for services rendered."

Grandmother began sputtering (but didn't deny it), and I made up an excuse to get out of there. You've have to understand how demure and soft spoken my great grandmother was to appreciate what a liberating moment that was.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Man, I can relate:...My Mom's mother was very worldly...Her 2nd cousins were the Youngers...right, they rode with Jesse and Frank James. Man, she would tell some. She's also the one that told me she made sure Santa left me what I wanted because she knew he like Scotch and Water....I didn't care what he drank, I got the watch. Ever listen to your grandfather tell you about going hunting when he was little boy and he was about 70 at that time. Seems the varmits were always back back then though. Hope I can get the opportunity to tel a few of those yarns to my grandkids some day....

Generals64
03-12-2009, 10:12 AM
Just dawned on me (old timers disease) I am one of the old guys with old memories...Boy am I getting slow.....Oh well, I remember....uh....what were we talking about?????

Generals64
03-26-2009, 05:02 PM
Talk about old people with memories, there are thousands of memories bottled up in the minds of the people that read this forum. Why Steve Lackmeyer and his writer friends don't capitalize on these to write a book....Payment could be a good steak dinner at uh......................Oh yeah , I remember now Glen's Hikry Inn ...Gotcha huh?????

Steve
03-26-2009, 08:11 PM
We're doing the best we can and trying to keep up.

Generals64
03-27-2009, 09:27 AM
We're doing the best we can and trying to keep up.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bring lots of Yellow Legal pads to the meeting.....you'll get a full load....
Here's a recipe you should try and then tell us what Restaurant in OKC it comes from....
SALAD DRESSING

8 oz. Philadelphia Cream Cheese
8 oz. Sour Cream
1 Tsp.Garlic
1 Tblsp. Salt
1 raw egg
Mix until smooth and creamy

you have to serve it fresh and refrigerated due to the egg being raw.....makes a great Dipping sauce and/or Salad Dressing...HMMMMM if you want it a little looser use another egg....MUST be kept refrigerated...

Doug Loudenback
03-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Well, if no one else wants to know, I DO. What's your definition of "old people?"

Generals64
03-27-2009, 05:07 PM
Well, if no one else wants to know, I DO. What's your definition of "old people?"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, Doug I believe that age has nothing to do with being old....Old is someone who thinks only of what they should have done and what could have happened. You know, "I should have done this and that and that could have happened".....Old memories from elderly people are so much fun. You know "I remember swimming at Twilight Beach when it was a cow pond"...Gosh then, I remember swimming there when it was a cool place with a fountain, clown and a bunch of pretty girls.....My kids say show me where it is....I said it's not there anymore......My Grand kids..."Ah Grandpa" let's go to the lake ..."you know the one where it used to be a creek..."

USG '60
03-28-2009, 09:51 AM
You know you are old when you hear someone discribe you as SPRY. :ohno:

Generals64
03-31-2009, 05:35 PM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------I think we're all old to somebody....Right? Don't really know what I just meant.....
The wife said Supper is ready...Oh well what were we talking about???

bowtieguy
04-26-2009, 08:33 PM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------I think we're all old to somebody....Right? Don't really know what I just meant.....
The wife said Supper is ready...Oh well what were we talking about???

I've found that you don't have to decide when you get old, your Grandkids will tell you. If I remember correctly.

papaOU
04-26-2009, 10:18 PM
Now I know I am getting older when I know where things were not.

If things were not how do you base their being there in the first place. Are you a General?

papaOU
04-26-2009, 10:22 PM
My Great Grandmother lived off of S. Agnew, she died in 1986 at 97 or 98 years old she used to tell stories of what OKC was like when she was a young girl wish I would have written them down. One thing I remember was she saw Belle Star one day there in town.

Interviewing our relatives is a really good thing. Especially if you like genealogy. If you can try to tape them.

papaOU
04-26-2009, 10:27 PM

Or you use the noun britches.....

Dad! It's not a swap meet........

The postman, mail carrier or letter carrier.

Or while driving around you grandchild asks, "Is this going to be another history day?"

nik4411
04-26-2009, 10:41 PM
I feel like my grandparents have so much interesting stuff to tell and stories to talk about. I love hearing about how things were "back then", and just how their lives were. For example, my grandmother in her younger years had her pilots license, so did my g'pa, and his brother, and they used to load up the family and fly to different places to visit family and etc. I think that is so cool. Also, hearing them talk about how things were during the different wars. Hearing it from someone first person rather than reading about it in a book.

Now they are getting to the age that I know they won't be around too much longer, I already lost my paw paw last fall, loved him dearly, and it sucks I can't ever talk to him again and hear his stories of the past.

nik4411
04-26-2009, 10:43 PM
I feel that people from older generations are one of the best tools for knowledge of life and history. I know that is sort of a "duh" statement, but I've come to realize you can learn so much by talking to someone who lived in times you can only know from the history channel, pbs or a book. I'm 24 so my real life experience doesn't go back all that far.

papaOU
04-27-2009, 12:30 AM
I feel like my grandparents have so much interesting stuff to tell and stories to talk about. I love hearing about how things were "back then", and just how their lives were. For example, my grandmother in her younger years had her pilots license, so did my g'pa, and his brother, and they used to load up the family and fly to different places to visit family and etc. I think that is so cool. Also, hearing them talk about how things were during the different wars. Hearing it from someone first person rather than reading about it in a book.

Now they are getting to the age that I know they won't be around too much longer, I already lost my paw paw last fall, loved him dearly, and it sucks I can't ever talk to him again and hear his stories of the past.

I hope you take this as it is intended and not a smart-ass remark. You can talk to paw paw any where and any time you want.

nik4411
04-27-2009, 04:47 PM
No I know what you are saying. Thanks PapaOU

Generals64
04-27-2009, 05:06 PM
No I know what you are saying. Thanks PapaOU
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey bud, I have two boys older than you and they understand with one Grandfather gone. But, from an old man...your Paw Paw is with you at all times...You'll feel a slight wind in your ear and you'll know who it is...Reality
is a such.....God and his son are always there...just as you Paw paw is...He is always there....I dream about my PeePaw and i'm old enough to be your Paw Paw....If you need a replacement on earth I'm here....PapaOU is there...Generals78 is there...Carltonskeeper is there....All the men of this thread will support you let us know....

nik4411
04-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Well thanks I appreciate that. Very kind words.

A memory I have is that grandparents sometimes tend to tell some of the same stories on different occasions, forgetting that you have already heard it. One of my grandmothers, who is from central Arkansas, but has lived in Fort Smith since the 50's, will sometimes re-tell stories about how Fort Smith used to be or about some old family that used to be big around there etc, but every time I love just re-listening.

grantgeneral78
04-29-2009, 09:16 PM
I remember my grandparents telling some stories of when they were younger and I am going to start writing it down so my kids will have all this information. I- LOVE TALKING TO ALL ELDERLY FOLKS THEY HAVE THE BEST STORIES YOU WILL EVER HEAR. Makes you sort of step back and think about your own mortality a bit, and what you share with others in your lifetime. Things and possesions come and go throught your life but it is the footprint you leave in others lives and the friends you treasure that means everything, so the next time your in a rush, stop and listen you will treasure it for the rest of your life.

Generals64
10-22-2009, 12:08 PM
I remember my grandparents telling some stories of when they were younger and I am going to start writing it down so my kids will have all this information. I- LOVE TALKING TO ALL ELDERLY FOLKS THEY HAVE THE BEST STORIES YOU WILL EVER HEAR. Makes you sort of step back and think about your own mortality a bit, and what you share with others in your lifetime. Things and possesions come and go throught your life but it is the footprint you leave in others lives and the friends you treasure that means everything, so the next time your in a rush, stop and listen you will treasure it for the rest of your life.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whoa!!!!!! when did you get so philosophical?????? I know, you're going to start saving everything like my wife does....right?????? And yes, I know the Magical van is FULL of memorabilia......

Generals64
10-28-2009, 12:40 PM
As I look at my past responses, I just realized I am One of those Old People with memories....Oh well....it's been more than fun....

papaOU
10-28-2009, 03:11 PM
As I look at my past responses, I just realized I am One of those Old People with memories....Oh well....it's been more than fun....

We wonder about your memories at times............

mrbob
10-28-2009, 03:24 PM
I was at the store the other day and some young kid said: How u doing old school. I just laughed, are we getting that old. Ha Medicare in 2 yrs is that scary or what. What u say there Sonny Boy my neighbor would say to me, I guess I will use that line. You old whipper snapper.

CarltonsKeeper
11-09-2009, 06:23 AM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bring lots of Yellow Legal pads to the meeting.....you'll get a full load....
Here's a recipe you should try and then tell us what Restaurant in OKC it comes from....
SALAD DRESSING

8 oz. Philadelphia Cream Cheese
8 oz. Sour Cream
1 Tsp.Garlic
1 Tblsp. Salt
1 raw egg
Mix until smooth and creamy

you have to serve it fresh and refrigerated due to the egg being raw.....makes a great Dipping sauce and/or Salad Dressing...HMMMMM if you want it a little looser use another egg....MUST be kept refrigerated...
Switch the Philadelphia Cream Cheese to Cheddar Cheese, Change the sour cream to Mayo and leave out the egg and your almost there. Cost me $50.00 and almost cost a waiter his job for me to check this out!!

kmf563
11-09-2009, 07:25 AM
:Smiley051

haha. Metro.

CarltonsKeeper
11-10-2009, 05:00 PM
:Smiley051

haha. Metro.
??????????????????????????????????

Generals64
11-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Sitting here reading some of these threads.....Beginning to think that...." wait a minute we ARE the old people with Memories"....Right Pennyquilts, Prunepicker, PapaOU, Frisky, Tall girl.....Uh......memories....Hmmmm...Oh yeah I've got to go to work ...forgot to remember that>>>>

PennyQuilts
11-12-2009, 08:27 AM
I am old as a rock.

FRISKY
11-12-2009, 08:38 AM
I'm not old. I can't be, I haven't matured yet.

Generals64
11-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Everything was O.K. until I turned 60.....the world turned upside down....and Hey old ECO/Pennyquilts....you're not old....I got "tickled" at my oldest son (36 yrs. old) we were talking about a young lady he had dated and how she had weathered life when out of nowhere he said "you know, for her age, My Mom is HOT". My response was "Yep I know"...then with a shocked look on his face he began to "back Peddle". He said I don't mean that like incest....and so on and so on.....His mom (my wife) got a big laugh out of it and it's been a long time since I saw him that embarassed....but, she is....

papaOU
11-12-2009, 06:01 PM
Sitting here reading some of these threads.....Beginning to think that...." wait a minute we ARE the old people with Memories"....Right Pennyquilts, Prunepicker, PapaOU, Frisky, Tall girl.....Uh......memories....Hmmmm...Oh yeah I've got to go to work ...forgot to remember that>>>>

What was that again?

RealJimbo
11-16-2009, 12:57 PM
This gettin' old is sure better than the only alternative, but when I get up in the morning, if it doesn't snap crackle and pop like Rice Crispies or hurt, it probably isn't mine.

PennyQuilts
11-16-2009, 01:25 PM
This gettin' old is sure better than the only alternative, but when I get up in the morning, if it doesn't snap crackle and pop like Rice Crispies or hurt, it probably isn't mine.

hahahaha!

Generals64
11-16-2009, 03:29 PM
hahahaha!

================================================== ===========
Just you wait young lady you also will be quoted Jimbo's Statement in a very short time. And, Yes< I'll remind you and laugh (if I can).....

PennyQuilts
11-16-2009, 05:53 PM
I am fifty one and don't have a single ache or pain - not a snap, not a pot, not a crack, not a twinge. My joints feel pretty much the same as when I was fourteen. Or twelve. Or ever. I know I am blessed. I'm amazed it hasn't happened, yet.

Generals64
11-16-2009, 06:40 PM
I am fifty one and don't have a single ache or pain - not a snap, not a pot, not a crack, not a twinge. My joints feel pretty much the same as when I was fourteen. Or twelve. Or ever. I know I am blessed. I'm amazed it hasn't happened, yet.
================================================== ===========
O.K., here's a good example:....My wife was (20 years) a Physical Education Teacher....Me:....just an old retail guy:.....My blood pressure was half what hers was. She has Always been the epitome of health...Me....short and fat (or plump).....I have NEVER taken any kind of medicine daily....Now I can't be a second late on my Blood Pressure medicine:...must take Vitamins and whatever else the doctor has prescribed.....and Like Jimbo said "Snap".."Crackle" and "Pop"........didn't start until a couple of years ago......Now I remember exactly where that Bull kicked me in 1978....I now remember which foot it was that the young horse stepped on when I made him mad in 1979......and that car accident I had in 1971 ....It's back....So, old people with memories they too shall return. So, my good friend soon I'll say to you...."Welcome to the Old Folks Reunion"......But, I am having a great time.....My wife?....she's still in excellent health......

kevinpate
11-17-2009, 06:14 AM

:omg: Yer such a Show-off! :LolLolLol

PennyQuilts
11-17-2009, 06:18 AM
:omg: Yer such a Show-off! :LolLolLol

Yes, well, right after I posted that I strutted around and tossed a sack of old files over my shoulder to put in the trash. I think I hurt myself. Pride goeth...

papaOU
11-17-2009, 03:30 PM

An elderly man woke one morning and turned towards his wife.

"Don't touch me," she said.

"Why"

I'm dead!

How can you be dead while lying there talking to me?

When I awoke this morning nothing hurt!!

Generals64
11-17-2009, 03:56 PM
An elderly man woke one morning and turned towards his wife.

"Don't touch me," she said.

"Why"

I'm dead!

How can you be dead while lying there talking to me?

When I awoke this morning nothing hurt!!

================================================== ============
Gotta remember that one:.....I laugh but, the last time I got to have surgery Kidney Stone wise....I was hurting so bad that the other hurts didn't seem to matter. The doctor gave me a shot of Toradal.....(sp) I was being a baby about everything and in about 60 seconds NOTHING hurt....I felt the same way the old man felt.....Being pain free was better than getting a shot of Demoral.....that just puts in la-la land....Toradal you knew everything going on and it was cool....then the party was over and life set in again.....Oh well even in every good day a little rain must fall.....

Generals64
12-03-2009, 12:09 PM
Re-reading this thread reminds me of a True Country Song...."In the Good ole Days, when times were bad". If you stop and think back when Most of us were kids our parents were doing EVERYTHING they could to make ends meet and then along Came Christmas or a Birthday and the budget would go to pot. I remember some of my BEST "OLD" Memories were some of the toughest times in The life of my family. But do any of (the older crowd) ever remember complaining about what you got for Christmas?...I still have a sweater...(don't know why) that I wouldn't dare wear out in public but it was one of the nicest presents I ever received....Doesn't make sense to some but, in Old memories you don't really remember getting that many presents.....

PennyQuilts
12-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Re-reading this thread reminds me of a True Country Song...."In the Good ole Days, when times were bad". If you stop and think back when Most of us were kids our parents were doing EVERYTHING they could to make ends meet and then along Came Christmas or a Birthday and the budget would go to pot. I remember some of my BEST "OLD" Memories were some of the toughest times in The life of my family. But do any of (the older crowd) ever remember complaining about what you got for Christmas?...I still have a sweater...(don't know why) that I wouldn't dare wear out in public but it was one of the nicest presents I ever received....Doesn't make sense to some but, in Old memories you don't really remember getting that many presents.....

I grew up hearing that my Grandmother got an ORANGE for Christmas and was grateful for it. Followed by a glare at anyone who would challenge that we were all ungrateful children.

I didn't dare say something wasn't perfect. And it wouldn't have occurred to me to complain, anyway.

gmwise
12-03-2009, 12:42 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whoa!!!!!! when did you get so philosophical?????? I know, you're going to start saving everything like my wife does....right?????? And yes, I know the Magical van is FULL of memorabilia......

Its called hoarding and its a psychological disorder...
My boyfriend has it.lol

Generals64
12-03-2009, 12:58 PM
I grew up hearing that my Grandmother got an ORANGE for Christmas and was grateful for it. Followed by a glare at anyone who would challenge that we were all ungrateful children.

I didn't dare say something wasn't perfect. And it wouldn't have occurred to me to complain, anyway.
================================================== =============
One of the "Toughest" Christmas's I can remember when my boys were young was when I had gone back to school and things were "Tight" needless to say. My oldest son begged for a Real Drum Set....I assured him that it would probably happen. I looked every where and could NOT find a set we could afford. Then I found a Good used set. My son was so excited about the drum set that when he found the scrapes and scratched his biggest response....Look Dad, Santa must have used this when he played in the Band with his Elves.....Personalized Drum Set.....Was really hard when he decided to get rid of the set for a new Bicycle....Santa didn't ride the Bike....

papaOU
12-03-2009, 11:57 PM
Drat!!!

Forgot what I was going to say!!!!!!