View Full Version : What do you do for fun?

PennyQuilts
03-11-2009, 04:47 AM
I'm interested in what fellow board members do for relaxation or fun. I quilt, blog and hang out with my dogs. I've also been getting interested in photography since getting a new camera (Canon G10), last month. When my kids were growing up, most of my free time was spent with them but I found time for hiking. It is just too dangerous with mean people to hike in the area I'm living now but I hope to get back to that when we move back home.

What sort of things do you do for fun?

TaoMaas
03-11-2009, 07:01 AM
I mostly do photography, but I'm wanting to get back into fishing and playing golf.

USG '60
03-11-2009, 07:01 AM
Art openings to see old friends, dancing for excercise and creating "yard art" for fun.

FRISKY
03-11-2009, 07:31 AM
Illegal street racing.

PennyQuilts
03-11-2009, 08:08 AM
I mostly do photography, but I'm wanting to get back into fishing and playing golf.

I may have to ask you for some pointers on the photography!

PennyQuilts
03-11-2009, 08:09 AM
Art openings to see old friends, dancing for excercise and creating "yard art" for fun.

Yard art? Bent over ladies with bloomers? I don't believe it! What sort of lawn art?

USG '60
03-11-2009, 08:29 AM
Actually it ranges from architectural fences made out of old stockade fencing I collected off of curbs for years. Tiling functional things like tree surrounds and raised gardens, and water parks for birds. And what I call tree weaving, that is controlling the growth of trees bu shaping their growth and interweaving their branches. Having large mirrors located so as to create interesting optical illusions. There is even an 8'x8' oil painting cover up the part of my neighbor's ugly garage where trees and shrubbery duesn't do the job. A patio made out of old granite leftovers layed out like a puzzle. And not a single plastic flamingo.

PennyQuilts
03-11-2009, 08:32 AM
Actually it ranges from architectural fences made out of old stockade fencing I collected off of curbs for years. Tiling functional things like tree surrounds and raised gardens, and water parks for birds. And what I call tree weaving, that is controlling the growth of trees bu shaping their growth and interweaving their branches. Having large mirrors located so as to create interesting optical illusions. There is even an 8'x8' oil painting cover up the part of my neighbor's ugly garage where trees and shrubbery duesn't do the job. A patio made out of old granite leftovers layed out like a puzzle. And not a single plastic flamingo.

That's very, very cool. What kind of trees do you weave? If it were me, I wouldn't wan to put out an address but it would still be neat to see it on google earth, street level! Post a picture!!!

Karried
03-11-2009, 08:34 AM
Recreational drugs.

j/k

Internet, Facebook - keeping up with long distant friends, watch stupid Youtube videos w the kids, Parties and get togethers with friends, Reading, Video games - my favorite right now is RockBand2, playing with pets, going to the movies, camping, sitting in my backyard w hubby and a nice glass of wine.... but my favorite thing of all, vacationing in a tropical paradise. I would move to the tropics tomorrow if I could.

TaoMaas
03-11-2009, 08:37 AM
I may have to ask you for some pointers on the photography! You'll be sorry. The problem isn't in getting me to talk about photography. It's trying to make me shut up about it that's hard! lol

PennyQuilts
03-11-2009, 08:40 AM
Recreational drugs.

j/k

Internet, Facebook - keeping up with long distant friends, watch stupid Youtube videos w the kids, Parties and get togethers with friends, Reading, Video games - my favorite right now is RockBand2, playing with pets, going to the movies, camping, sitting in my backyard w hubby and a nice glass of wine.... but my favorite thing of all, vacationing in a tropical paradise. I would move to the tropics tomorrow if I could.

I should send you links to my dogs on youtube. After the first 30 or so, you'll be cured of wanting anything to do with videos and pets and will stick with drinking it up in the backyard!

PennyQuilts
03-11-2009, 08:41 AM
You'll be sorry. The problem isn't in getting me to talk about photography. It's trying to make me shut up about it that's hard! lol

What kind of camera and do you have certain types of things you like to photograph?

I plan to learn how to use RAW. The main thing I have learned, recently, is that black and white pictures can cover a lot of lighting problems...

USG '60
03-11-2009, 08:53 AM
That's very, very cool. What kind of trees do you weave? If it were me, I wouldn't wan to put out an address but it would still be neat to see it on google earth, street level! Post a picture!!!

I weave what are considered junk trees, mimosas, Trees of Heaven (alianthus) and Hackberries. Google earth won't help as it is all in the back yard. I will happily post photographs if some would teach me how. I'm REAL old and catch on slowly. Maybe I can con my son-in-law into helping me. My best tree creation got destroyed a few years ago when the back yard was dug up to replace a sewer line. Ice storms wreak havoc on the others, so it is sort of ephemeral.

TaoMaas
03-11-2009, 09:48 AM
What kind of camera and do you have certain types of things you like to photograph?

I plan to learn how to use RAW. The main thing I have learned, recently, is that black and white pictures can cover a lot of lighting problems...

I've got a Pentax K10D. I've used Pentax cameras for about 35 years now, so I've got way too many lenses to be thinking about switching brands. I just bought a Pentax *istD off ebay for my wife last night. She's wanting to try her hand at taking pictures, too.

Karried
03-11-2009, 09:56 AM
If you can Upload your photos to your personal computer you can do this.

Go to Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket (http://photobucket.com/)

Click Choose Photos and Upload it to Photobucket

(Upload (Browse) your computer files and find your photo.)

Once you have Uploaded it on Photobucket there will be a Code underneath the pic..

Direct Link - Click on it and it will Copy it...

Come back to OKCTalk and Click the Little Yellow Box above

http://www.okctalk.com/images/editor/insertimage.gif

A window will open for you to Paste (Right Click - Paste) the Code you just Copied

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll267/Karried1/014-1.jpg

Teddy loves rubber, he thinks the texture of kitty's nose is like rubber. He wants to steal it, keep it and drag it to his hidey hole under the bed.

Kitty does not want to cooperate with Teddy's plan.

Zoom Zoom
03-11-2009, 12:54 PM
Awww! That is a cute picture Karried!

DaveSkater
03-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Cool pics Karried!

Me and my crew skate:
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/111/l_303eb1e701fd9fed54b2de65f2778b7d.jpg

(we also like shooting, biking, camping, console gaming and Futurama movies and collectables.)

Karried
03-11-2009, 02:15 PM
That looks scary! wow.. I'd drop like a rock!

PennyQuilts
03-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Pearl:

Stan Silliman
03-11-2009, 04:39 PM
I'm an old guy so I think about this more often - writing humorous epitaphs for gravestones - it was work when I was with American Monument but even after I left them I had become so good at it I continued offering my services ... because it's fun.

Picture this: me, big overreaching smile on my face, going into the grieving family's house and engaging them about all the funny and memorable things about their dearly departed ... and then designing a tombstone to fit the funny times they had together.

Sure Papa was grouchy. Sure, he never gave you credit for anything but he sure was funny looking with his 40-year-old suspenders and those pants he had hiked up to his rib cage. Let's design a pants-shaped tombstone with six inches of ankle showing. "Here lies Hal Robinson. He was ready for a flood."

Charlie Moran worked on the Manhattan project, you say? The one where they invented the atomic bomb? He must have been a genius. I think our company can do it. They can make a make a mushroom shaped cloud headstone. Yes, it will fan out at the top like this. No, no, Resthaven won't mind. They have all sorts of unusual shaped stones. Let's put a poem on Charlie's stone. He was a man of vision, right? Here goes:

"Here lies Charlie Moran...
He wasn't just a dreamer...
He blew up the Japs...
Hiroshima!"

Ahhh... fun times.

fuzzytoad
03-11-2009, 04:50 PM
i like to buy really tacky lawn ornaments at thrift shops and garage sales then put them on lawns in Nichols Hills in the middle of the night.

PennyQuilts
03-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Cool pics Karried!

Me and my crew skate:
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/111/l_303eb1e701fd9fed54b2de65f2778b7d.jpg

(we also like shooting, biking, camping, console gaming and Futurama movies and collectables.)

That give me vertigo. Most impressive!

PennyQuilts
03-11-2009, 04:54 PM
I am glad to see a new picture of Teddy!

Bostonfan
03-11-2009, 05:49 PM
I love to play golf, love to bet on the ponies, and of course, love to watch the Sox..

Stan Silliman
03-11-2009, 10:12 PM
I love to play golf, love to bet on the ponies, and of course, love to watch the Sox..

There are Red Sox fans everywhere. Everywhere! But, unfortunately. so are the Red Sox haters. Check this story and the cute cartoon:

Red_Sox_Haters (http://www.sillimanonsports.com/Red_Sox_Haters.html)

MadMonk
03-11-2009, 10:34 PM
A little golf here and there, a little bicycling now and then, shooting when I can find the time to get to the range, some Xbox/Xbox360, and an occasional poker night. I'm also helping to coach my son's little league team this year so that's taking up even more of my spare time.

DaveSkater
03-12-2009, 07:41 PM
This is our other hobby.
Me and my crew and Sergeant Dick (BIL):
http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/49/l_654cb9fe315f4448b015da525147b120.jpg

Me and my crew and my Sis.
http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/45/l_aea7177eb6784c6bb634ae735a0d32d5.jpg

We have a quarter section of land and we like to commando the property from time to time.... Great fun!
(notice the 100 acre lake behind us. OUR hundred acre lake LOL)
(we're safety NAZI's before anyone gets any crazy ideas)

PennyQuilts
03-13-2009, 05:15 AM
OMG - look at that pink gun!! How cute is that? Cute kids, too. But I'm not going to mess with your sister - she looks like she is a force to be reckoned with. Glad to hear you are a safely NAZI.

FRISKY
03-13-2009, 06:13 AM
OMG - look at that pink gun!! How cute is that? Cute kids, too. But I'm not going to mess with your sister - she looks like she is a force to be reckoned with. Glad to hear you are a safely NAZI.It is a cute picture, but look where the "safety nazi's" pink gun is pointed...doesn't look very safe.

DaveSkater
03-13-2009, 06:43 AM
Its ok, kinda hard to tell in the pic, but it wasn't pointed at me. And it's such a big deal when she shoots the thing, (I load the bullet in it) that I'm not too worried when she hauls it around.

She's got a healthy fear for all the guns. Even her cute little pink one.

Besides, it's a pose....

DaveSkater
03-13-2009, 06:45 AM
Yeah, ECO, my sister is one "Who is not to be messed with" LOL.
To put it in perspective, I'm 6'1".

With that said, she's one of the sweetest and most generous people I know. We love her dearly!