View Full Version : Swadley's BBQ coming to Mustang

jarrington00
03-09-2009, 12:37 PM
I noticed a "coming soon" sign on land situated across the street from the new Sonic on the south side of Hwy 152. This will be the 5th Swadley's in the OKC metro area.

Swadleys BBQ (http://www.swadleys.com/)

I also noticed the Taco Mayo is now open.

stick47
03-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Great news! We need a BBQ in Mustang. How do their ribs compare with the others? I haven't had them before.

Bobby821
03-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Swadleys is Pathetic when it comes to BBQ save your money and go to JR's. it Is superb about the best there is in BBQ outside of homemade that is..

spellchick
03-09-2009, 04:01 PM
I noticed a "coming soon" sign on land situated across the street from the new Sonic on the south side of Hwy 152. This will be the 5th Swadley's in the OKC metro area.

Swadleys BBQ (http://www.swadleys.com/)

I also noticed the Taco Mayo is now open.

I drove by the Taco Mayo at 11 am on Saturday. The parking lot was completely full and the line for the drive thru was out to 152. They'll do well there, if they can get the orders correct. That's my biggest complaint about Taco Bell out there. I avoid that place like the plague because they never can get my order correct.

sgt. pepper
03-10-2009, 09:34 AM
you are speaking for yourself bobby, not for the rest of us. Pathetic is a strong word and Swadley's IS NOT that bad. in fact I really like Swadley's. They may not be the best, but they are close.

Bobby821
03-10-2009, 09:48 AM
you are speaking for yourself bobby, not for the rest of us. Pathetic is a strong word and Swadley's IS NOT that bad. in fact I really like Swadley's. They may not be the best, but they are close.

Um ok put down the crack pipe.

sgt. pepper
03-10-2009, 10:27 AM
"if you do not have anything nice to say, then do not say anything at all"
If we (including me) lived by that saying, there would not be much talking going on.
my bad bobby, i just rant w/o thinking as usual. nothing wrong about not liking a stinkin restaurant.

Centerback
03-10-2009, 11:03 AM
Swadley's makes a good "sweet" rib. I'm sure it will be a nice addition to Mustang.

Bobby821
03-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Swadley's makes a good "sweet" rib. I'm sure it will be a nice addition to Mustang.

If you like dried out overcooked high priced BBQ sure.

lasomeday
03-10-2009, 03:44 PM
I agree with Bobby! It is way overpriced. They do have good desserts though.

Generals64
03-10-2009, 04:01 PM
I agree with Bobby! It is way overpriced. They do have good desserts though.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
the Brisket is too dry until you smother it with Bar-b-que Sauce and have it chopped up completely. Their Desserts are pretty good and the (head Country) Sauce is pretty good. If the ribs are fresh from the rack, they're O.K. would rather have Finley's or Leo's.....

Prunepicker
03-10-2009, 10:47 PM
the Brisket is too dry until you smother it with Bar-b-que Sauce and have it
chopped up completely. Their Desserts are pretty good and the (head
Country) Sauce is pretty good. If the ribs are fresh from the rack, they're
O.K. would rather have Finley's or Leo's...

I ate at Swadley's several times before I realized it was BBQ. Now, when I go
I'll just get a baked potato and salad.

Georgia and her husband (Jim?) are fine people and they know how to
market their product. A lot of people like it, and I wish then success.

Ken's ribs, Amber, OK, are far better. They're among the best in Oklahoma.

Centerback
03-11-2009, 11:41 AM
If you like dried out overcooked high priced BBQ sure.
You sure this isn't Billy Sims talking trash on a competitor? :fighting2

okyeah
03-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Swadley's is pretty good. I like those little squares of potatoes they have. Does anyone know what they use for seasoning? It's salt, peper, and some other spice... Their mashed potato, Texas toast, and potato salad are OK, but the potato salad doesn't seem home made. The Swadley's I frequent is the one on SW 89 & Western, and their brisket is sometimes dry, but it is always tender. I really like their sweet bbq sauce...which grocery stores can I buy head country bbq sauce?

Lurker34
03-11-2009, 12:43 PM
IMHO I'm not impressed with Swadley's Restaurant or Mr. Swadley in the dealings I've had with him.

Bobby821
03-11-2009, 03:23 PM
IMHO I'm not impressed with Swadley's Restaurant or Mr. Swadley in the dealings I've had with him.

Do Tell please??

rbayless
03-12-2009, 05:44 AM
I do not think their sauce is head country sauce. If you buy it from the store (hell, even Wal-Mart sells it), it tastes vastly different from their sauce.

GWB
03-12-2009, 05:48 AM
Swadley's is pretty good. I like those little squares of potatoes they have. Does anyone know what they use for seasoning? It's salt, peper, and some other spice... Their mashed potato, Texas toast, and potato salad are OK, but the potato salad doesn't seem home made. The Swadley's I frequent is the one on SW 89 & Western, and their brisket is sometimes dry, but it is always tender. I really like their sweet bbq sauce...which grocery stores can I buy head country bbq sauce?

You can buy it at Walmart and Crest. I love Head Country Barbeque sauce and use it on most all of my barbeque cooking.

mark
03-13-2009, 04:14 PM
the guy who used to be in the homeland had great bbq. i think he was the same guy who was in crescent market.

rickself
04-26-2009, 04:18 PM
You think you could get decent bbq in Mustang. Bad Brad's won the award for best bbq and all I can say is Bad Brad's was Bad. I'll never go back and can't see what people like about it. If you want the best baby back ribs, Try InterUrban on Wednesday night. Get a full rack for the half rack price and they fall off the bone.

twinkles
04-26-2009, 05:43 PM
We have to agree on Bad Brad's. We "sampled" their ribs and frankly they tasted like lighter fluid. Maybe just a bad batch, but still........

Prunepicker
04-26-2009, 09:18 PM
You think you could get decent bbq in Mustang. Bad Brad's won the award for
best bbq and all I can say is Bad Brad's was Bad. I'll never go back and can't
see what people like about it. If you want the best baby back ribs, Try
InterUrban on Wednesday night. Get a full rack for the half rack price and
they fall off the bone.

BBQ is a very personal thing. I don't like Swadley's. I ate there twice and
never realized I was supposed to be eating BBQ.

As far as BBQ that I like, it's Oklahoma Station.

Here's the thing. I can't stand pork ribs that have the meat falling off of
the bone. That means the flavor has been cooked out and all your getting
is meat that's been saturated with someones idea of BBQ sauce.

Listen, meat should never fall off of the bone. Why, you ask. Because, as
mentioned above, the flavor has been cooked out of the meat. When meat
is still on the bone, or attached to the bone, the flavor of the meat is still
there. Think about the best Porterhouse or Rib Steak.
THE MEAT IS STILL ON THE BONE! IT DOESN'T FALL OFF!

Whoever said that the meat should fall off of the bone is a total idiot.
Did I say idiot? Good. That's what I mean, a total idiot.

Yes, I was yelling, but it's an absolute fact. When a place cooks the meat
so much that the meat falls off of the bone then you're NOT going to get
the flavor of the meat. You're going to get seasoning and BBQ sauce.
Period.

Good grief!

oneforone
04-27-2009, 10:39 AM
Mr. Spriggs in Midwest City is the only real bbq in okc.

Jesseda
04-27-2009, 10:43 AM
spriggs is pretty good, and i am only a corkys barbaque fan or my moms barbaque, so if i cant get to those it is spriggs

stick47
04-27-2009, 05:10 PM
I developed a taste for Vans Pigstand ribs when I lived in Shawnee for a few years. Glad they opened up a store in South Okc.
edit: Also like Bobs Pigshop in Pauls Valley.

dalelakin
04-27-2009, 05:25 PM
Can't be any worse than Bad Brad's that place is terrible IMO...Only good thing there is the cups are the right size for Iced Tea at home.

rbayless
04-27-2009, 08:55 PM
Can't be any worse than Bad Brad's that place is terrible IMO...Only good thing there is the cups are the right size for Iced Tea at home.

That comment is spot on! .. couldn't have been said any better.

Jon27
04-27-2009, 09:29 PM

Hilarious! We haven't eaten there yet. What's so bad about it?

twinkles
04-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Really, we've given up on a good consistent place to eat in Mustang. We've eaten Mexican food at the place in the strip mall across from the fire station - can't think of the name. It is okay but not great - too much cilantro. I have to get tamales (they're pretty good actually) to try to dodge the green stuff.

Even the McDonalds here is awful. How can you mess up an Egg McMuffin?? Let me count the ways ......

Prunepicker
04-27-2009, 10:39 PM
The Swadley's are very nice people. Their BBQ is terrible but they are very
nice people.

I ate at Swadley's two or three times before I realized it was supposed to be
BBQ. I was surprised.

Honestly and truly, they used to have a very good Rib Eye. They took it
off the menu. I don't know why. It was really good.

I had some friends that performed there every other week. I couldn't stand
the meat they called BBQ so I would order a baked potato and salad bar.

Swadley's isn't BBQ. It's what people think is BBQ. I think folks from New
York or Vermont might mistake it for BBQ since they're completely clueless.

Where's Pulliam's when you need it? THAT was BBQ!

Prunepicker
04-27-2009, 10:45 PM
We've eaten Mexican food at the place in the strip mall across from the fire
station - can't think of the name. It is okay but not great - too much
cilantro.

We eat at El Charro's every once and a while. Hiway 157 and maybe Holly.
It's okay, but it isn't great. Just so-so Tex-Mex. The service is very good.

This place occasionally has too much cilantro in their salsa. We go there
because we have friends who like it.

We'd rather eat at Los Amigos or Nino's.

Tex-Mex Rocks!

twinkles
04-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Where's Pulliam's when you need it? THAT was BBQ!

I have to agree with you there. Don't believe Pulliam's ever did that dry rub business - if I remember correctly there was a fairly plain marinade, and then that wonderful sauce dumped on after the ribs were cooked.

As far as "falling off the bone tender" - yeah, that didn't happen there, either. Their meat was firm but tasty, not tough. I think part of that falling off the bone business is greasiness, but I know other people disagree.

The thing I like best about El Charro - they have the TexMex pickled vegetables - a good thing. Then they snip fresh cilantro on them - a very BAD thing. Heh. I just have one note.

dalelakin
04-29-2009, 06:36 AM
Hilarious! We haven't eaten there yet. What's so bad about it?

The meat has been so dry both times that it could have passed for jerky and the sauce to me is not impressive.

rickself
05-03-2009, 08:48 AM
Hilarious! We haven't eaten there yet. What's so bad about it?The ribs were 90% fat, the beans were like they poured water over a spoon of beans, the bread was thin sliced white bread out of the bag. We were totally disappointed. The plates and cups and bowls - and the forks and knife - were plastic. I just don't get it.

InterUrban has baby back rib night on Wednesday and they are to die for! Not overly covered in sauce, tender and flavorful.mmmmmm