View Full Version : Officials plan inner-city code crackdown

Proactive Volunteer
01-18-2005, 08:43 AM
Officials plan inner-city code crackdown

By Bryan Dean
The Oklahoman

Soiled mattresses, old couches and other junk line the curbs of Classen-10-Penn and dozens of other inner-city neighborhoods.
Grass and weeds are knee-deep in some yards. Houses with peeling paint and damaged roofs are common.

For those who maintain their homes, neighboring nuisance properties drag down property values, spoil the quality of life and invite criminals.

"It's depressing to see your neighborhood look like that," Classen-10-Penn resident Tiffany Dailey said. "When you drive home and there is a prostitute on the corner and a drug dealer on the street, those are the most frustrating things. A lot of times, there is a tie-in between the criminal activity and the rental homes that aren't maintained."

City officials hope a new code enforcement program will clean up inner-city streets and force property owners to change their ways.

Neighborhood Services Director Mike Randall said city code inspectors will start proactive enforcement this week. Until now, inspectors only cited violators after a complaint.

"Code violations are a constant thing," Randall said. "There are people who may clean it up or they may complain while we clean it up, but then they immediately junk things up again."

The idea of proactive enforcement came up in budget talks. Council members budgeted $115,000 to launch the program.

Ward 7 Councilwoman Willa Johnson said the complaint-based system wasn't working. Many people were reluctant to report violations.

"I think they are afraid of retribution," Johnson said. "They don't want to be known as the snitch in the neighborhood."

Complaints come to the neighborhood services department through the city's action line and are anonymous. But that doesn't stop property owners from looking for someone to blame.

"It always leaves the opportunity for someone to say, 'Well I know who turned me in,' whether they do or not," Randall said.

With proactive enforcement, only city inspectors working on the new program will be available for blame. Randall said his staffers can take nasty looks and dirty words -- especially if that means cleaner neighborhoods.

Inspectors will be assigned to 29 neighborhoods. Although the target areas are spread throughout the city, many are clustered in an area bordered by Interstate 44 on the west and north, Interstate 235 on the east and Interstate 40 on the south.

Inspectors will visit at least part of each neighborhood two to three times a week. Repeat violators will come to know inspectors quickly.

"I know for a fact that you will see cleaner neighborhoods," Randall said. "Over time, those recurrent violators, the habitual ones, some portion of them will get the message."

Those who don't will pay ever-increasing fines as the city cleans their properties and mows their yards. As the junk goes away, the neighborhoods will start to change, Ward 6 Councilwoman Ann Simank said.

"I expect to have citizens that are happier with where they live," Simank said. "I think our urban-area neighborhoods feel like they've waited a long time for some enforcement."

Those who have been hoping for more enforcement may come to see inspectors as more than faceless government workers, Ward 2 Councilman Sam Bowman said.

"I think what we are going to have is a neighborhood advocate," Bowman said.

Council members may decide to expand the program if it is successful. An expanded program could include more target areas or become citywide, depending on costs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think this is a good start for the City to do. However, I have worked on inner city code enforcement issues since 1986. Until the City reviews and evaluates the entire proccess of code enforcement, new programs will have a limited effect.

We need a Task Force that will invite stakeholders to the table to review complaint and enforcement process on property maintenance and community appearance ordinances. This Task Force will need to include Neighborhood Services, the Zoning Department, Public Works and the Fire Department as all of these departments have property maintenance ordiances that they enforce.

The Task Force findings will then be submited with recommendations for changes, be it in the handling of complaints, how the ordinance is enforced or review the ordinance to see if it needs to be revised.

Midtowner
01-18-2005, 09:10 AM
Could almost be a self-funding program if people pay their fines. It may also have a real impact on the elderly people with fixed incomes that can't make necessary improvements to their homes. I hope that the city works with church and youth volunteer groups to aid them in giving the city this facelift.

Luke
01-18-2005, 09:13 AM
I live within the boundaries of the crackdown area. I'm looking forward to them doing something about it!

Jay
01-18-2005, 02:41 PM
Officials plan inner-city code crackdown

By Bryan Dean
The Oklahoman

Soiled mattresses, old couches and other junk line the curbs of Classen-10-Penn and dozens of other inner-city neighborhoods.
Grass and weeds are knee-deep in some yards. Houses with peeling paint and damaged roofs are common.

For those who maintain their homes, neighboring nuisance properties drag down property values, spoil the quality of life and invite criminals.

"It's depressing to see your neighborhood look like that," Classen-10-Penn resident Tiffany Dailey said. "When you drive home and there is a prostitute on the corner and a drug dealer on the street, those are the most frustrating things. A lot of times, there is a tie-in between the criminal activity and the rental homes that aren't maintained."

City officials hope a new code enforcement program will clean up inner-city streets and force property owners to change their ways.

Neighborhood Services Director Mike Randall said city code inspectors will start proactive enforcement this week. Until now, inspectors only cited violators after a complaint.

"Code violations are a constant thing," Randall said. "There are people who may clean it up or they may complain while we clean it up, but then they immediately junk things up again."

The idea of proactive enforcement came up in budget talks. Council members budgeted $115,000 to launch the program.

Ward 7 Councilwoman Willa Johnson said the complaint-based system wasn't working. Many people were reluctant to report violations.

"I think they are afraid of retribution," Johnson said. "They don't want to be known as the snitch in the neighborhood."

Complaints come to the neighborhood services department through the city's action line and are anonymous. But that doesn't stop property owners from looking for someone to blame.

"It always leaves the opportunity for someone to say, 'Well I know who turned me in,' whether they do or not," Randall said.

With proactive enforcement, only city inspectors working on the new program will be available for blame. Randall said his staffers can take nasty looks and dirty words -- especially if that means cleaner neighborhoods.

Inspectors will be assigned to 29 neighborhoods. Although the target areas are spread throughout the city, many are clustered in an area bordered by Interstate 44 on the west and north, Interstate 235 on the east and Interstate 40 on the south.

Inspectors will visit at least part of each neighborhood two to three times a week. Repeat violators will come to know inspectors quickly.

"I know for a fact that you will see cleaner neighborhoods," Randall said. "Over time, those recurrent violators, the habitual ones, some portion of them will get the message."

Those who don't will pay ever-increasing fines as the city cleans their properties and mows their yards. As the junk goes away, the neighborhoods will start to change, Ward 6 Councilwoman Ann Simank said.

"I expect to have citizens that are happier with where they live," Simank said. "I think our urban-area neighborhoods feel like they've waited a long time for some enforcement."

Those who have been hoping for more enforcement may come to see inspectors as more than faceless government workers, Ward 2 Councilman Sam Bowman said.

"I think what we are going to have is a neighborhood advocate," Bowman said.

Council members may decide to expand the program if it is successful. An expanded program could include more target areas or become citywide, depending on costs.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-18-2005, 03:52 PM
Atlast!

Proactive Volunteer
01-18-2005, 05:58 PM
Could almost be a self-funding program if people pay their fines. It may also have a real impact on the elderly people with fixed incomes that can't make necessary improvements to their homes. I hope that the city works with church and youth volunteer groups to aid them in giving the city this facelift.

The City and Community Action Agency have numerous home repair programs that will be able to help elderly people and people on fixed incomes do repairs to bring them into compliance with the property maintenance code violations.

I have seen this work in a very positive way in ailing neighborhoods.

This is a good first step. The City also needs to have a Task Force to help identify the problems with property maintenance code violations to improve their notification, complaint distribution to City Inspectors, ongoing training of inspectors, and inspection criteria that really works. If the ordinance needs updating to be effective, update the ordinance.

Keith
01-18-2005, 06:40 PM
I am glad to see that the City is implementing this new code enforcement program. I also agree that the complaint-based system that has been in place for many years just wasn't working. It seems that when a complaint was sent in to the action center, it would take weeks before anything was done.

So many residents would receive their notices to clean up property, however, they would drag their feet and not get the repairs made. Then, it would take at least a month before anything else was done by the city.

Hopefully, with inspectors now combing the neighborhoods, a lot of the trash will be cleaned up and the habitual offenders will be cited and forced to clean up their properties. I live in an area where many older people live, as well as many hispanics. We are proud of our neighborhood, and we all do what is necessary to keep our homes nice and yards well maintained.

Patrick
01-18-2005, 07:04 PM
This is awesome news. Up until now, it's always been a policy of- you don't report a problem, it doesn't get fixed! Unfortuantely, a lot of problems don't ever get reported, especially in low-income areas where a lot of people don't have enough pride to report a problem.

Having code inspectors on the streets looking for violations will really help clean up our city. I just hope it's staffed well and the city doesn't cut the budget short for this!

Seems like they're going to use their man power wisely and specifically target problem neighborhoods. It wouldn't make sense to target a nice upscale far south neighborhood or a nice upscale north neighborhood like Warwick, Summerfield, Quail Creek etc. I those neighborhoods, people will usually report problems, if there are any.

The city council is really starting to use their heads! Way to go Mick Cornett and company!

metro
01-18-2005, 08:27 PM
Indeed, this is long over due and my number one pet peeve. I call in violations all the time but rarely does anything seem to get done. We should all individually email the mayor and city coucil to let them know they are doing a good job and to enlarge the program.

Proactive Volunteer
01-21-2005, 08:25 AM
City crackdown a good move

Oklahoman Editorial
1-21-05

RESIDENTS WHO refuse to keep their property clean aren't just creating an eyesore. They're dragging down the rest of their street or neighborhood, and in many cases they're creating health and fire hazards. Oklahoma City officials are right to start going after these folks with more urgency.
Proactive code enforcement in the city began this week. Previously, code inspectors issued citations to violators after someone filed a complaint. While those complaints can be made over the phone and in confidence, residents often are hesitant to call because they're afraid the offender will find out and seek retribution.

"They don't want to be known as the snitch in the neighborhood," is how Ward 7 Councilwoman Willa Johnson put it.

Now, they won't have to worry about it. The city council has budgeted $115,000 to begin the proactive enforcement program in which inspectors will be able to issue citations whenever they find violations. They'll be the ones who'll take the heat for being the heavy, something the city's neighborhood services director says they'll be glad to accept.

Twenty-nine neighborhoods are included as the program gets under way. The neighborhoods are spread across the city, although many are located in the inner city where code violations are most prevalent. Inspectors plan to check parts of each neighborhood two to three times per week. Officials expect that some of those who habitually fail to keep their property up to code will begin to change their ways. Those who don't will pay for it -- literally -- as the city does the cleanup.

Ward 6 Councilwoman Ann Simank said neighborhoods will begin to change as they become cleaner. "I think our urban-area neighborhoods feel like they've waited a long time for some enforcement," she said. Now, we're glad to see, that time is here.

Proactive Volunteer
01-21-2005, 08:35 AM
Indeed, this is long over due and my number one pet peeve. I call in violations all the time but rarely does anything seem to get done. We should all individually email the mayor and city coucil to let them know they are doing a good job and to enlarge the program.

Metro....If you are not asking for a copy of the Action Center paperwork on the complaint, you need to. I have found that having a copy of the paper trail is very helpful!

metro
01-21-2005, 09:48 AM
Proactive, I live in Bethany and unfortunately they are not as savy as OKC's system. It makes it alot harder to get any info at all. I do call in OKC complaints periodically but mainly just Bethany.

Keith
01-21-2005, 10:14 AM
Excellent editorial. I couldn't have said it better myself.

metro
01-21-2005, 10:57 AM
why do we have two threads about the same thing? can we not combine the two?

Patrick
01-24-2005, 12:47 AM
Hey metro, I'll just merge this one with the other one!