Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13

Prunepicker
04-12-2010, 10:50 AM
In the TV commercial for Marlboro cigarettes there was a music theme played
as the Marlboro man did his thing!! Does anyone remember what old R&R song
this music was copied after? Whoever figures it out, Gen/64 will buy them
a steak dinner!
I remember the theme to "The Magnificent Seven" being played but not an
R&R song. There was a group that played it.

Are you thinking of the rhythm of a song by Bo Diddley?

CarltonsKeeper
04-12-2010, 12:12 PM
I remember the theme to "The Magnificent Seven" being played but not an
R&R song. There was a group that played it.

Are you thinking of the rhythm of a song by Bo Diddley?
According to the "Trivia Buffs" it was "Sweet Soul Music" by Arthur Conley!! If you listen to it a couple of times I think you will see they are correct!!

Prunepicker
04-12-2010, 02:31 PM
According to the "Trivia Buffs" it was "Sweet Soul Music" by Arthur Conley!! If
you listen to it a couple of times I think you will see they are correct!!

The "Magnificent Seven" riff, first 9 notes, is used but the song it isn't really
based on it.

The movie came out in 1960 and Arthur Conley's tune was 1966.

Generals64
04-12-2010, 03:12 PM
They were going to use "Fraulien" but the Cowboy wasn't German looking enough....????

CarltonsKeeper
04-12-2010, 03:52 PM
The "Magnificent Seven" riff, first 9 notes, is used but the song it isn't really
based on it.

The movie came out in 1960 and Arthur Conley's tune was 1966.
So what's the verdict? Is it a mixture of Magnificent seven and Sweet Soul Music! I know what google shows but I got this info from Goddard's Great's which comes on Sunday Mornings at 5:00 a.m. Which is correct, I don't know. Maybe it WAS Fraulein, ya think!! lol (What year did this Marlboro theme song come out I wonder) Anyway about it, Gen/64 owe's someone a steak dinner!!

papaOU
04-12-2010, 06:06 PM
So what's the verdict? Is it a mixture of Magnificent seven and Sweet Soul Music! I know what google shows but I got this info from Goddard's Great's which comes on Sunday Mornings at 5:00 a.m. Which is correct, I don't know. Maybe it WAS Fraulein, ya think!! lol (What year did this Marlboro theme song come out I wonder) Anyway about it, Gen/64 owe's someone a steak dinner!!

Since the exact history has been solved, 64 owes us all a steak dinner...

Prunepicker
04-12-2010, 06:24 PM
(What year did this Marlboro theme song come out I wonder) Anyway about
it, Gen/64 owe's someone a steak dinner!
The theme had to come before 1964 when tobacco ads were no longer
allowed to be on TV. It was the only theme I remember and the Mag 7 came
out in 1960.

Prunepicker
04-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Remember...

Show us your Lark Pack!

Winston tastes good like a [clap clap] cigarette should. Then the silly
commercial with the professor type saying it was bad English and should be
'as a cigarette should'.

You can take Salem out of the country but you can't take the country out
of Salem.

A silly millimeter longer...

Do you save the coupons?

LSMFT means... and the auctioneer...

Can you think of any others?

skyrick
04-12-2010, 06:50 PM
Remember...

Show us your Lark Pack!

Winston tastes good like a [clap clap] cigarette should. Then the silly
commercial with the professor type saying it was bad English and should be
'as a cigarette should'.

You can take Salem out of the country but you can't take the country out
of Salem.

A silly millimeter longer...

Do you save the coupons?

LSMFT means... and the auctioneer...

Can you think of any others?

I'd rather fight than switch!

Take a puff, it's Springtime!

Do you remember that in it's initial run on prime time, The Flintstone's main sponsor was Winstons?

Generals64
04-12-2010, 06:53 PM
since the exact history has been solved, 64 owes us all a steak dinner...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
stake///????????

CarltonsKeeper
04-12-2010, 07:13 PM
OK! Let's try Goddards Greats again... What song is commonly referred to as the first anti-drug song, per the lyrics. The artist and the song!!!!! (there were others)

Prunepicker
04-12-2010, 07:18 PM
OK! Let's try Goddards Greats again... What song is commonly referred to as
the first anti-drug song, per the lyrics. The artist and the song! (there were
others)
The Pusher by Hoyt Axton?

CarltonsKeeper
04-12-2010, 07:39 PM
The Pusher by Hoyt Axton?
Goddard belives it's "Kicks" by Paul Revere & The Raiders!! He says this song is commonly referred to as the real beginning of anti-drug songs. I have to admit the lyrics are pretty
strong in this song!! I guess it would be a matter of opinion...

CarltonsKeeper
04-13-2010, 07:52 AM
Not to beat a dead horse, BUT: Just curiosity, Mr. prunepicker see what we have here. Found the original song writer and singer of "Sweet Soul Music!" it was Sam Cooke in 1964 which he recorded it under the name of "Yeah Man" with the same music... Look it up and take a listen. I'm really confused now. Maybe Goddard does a little Bud Lite and Lolly Tabs himself, LOL.. See what you get out of this!!

Generals64
04-13-2010, 07:57 AM
Not to beat a dead horse, BUT: Just curiosity, Mr. prunepicker see what we have here. Found the original song writer and singer of "Sweet Soul Music!" it was Sam Cooke in 1964 which he recorded it under the name of "Yeah Man" with the same music... Look it up and take a listen. I'm really confused now. Maybe Goddard does a little Bud Lite and Lolly Tabs himself, LOL.. See what you get out of this!!
================================================== =========Who has the bud Lite?????

Prunepicker
04-13-2010, 07:54 PM
Goddard belives it's "Kicks" by Paul Revere & The Raiders!! He says this song
is commonly referred to as the real beginning of anti-drug songs. I have to
admit the lyrics are pretty strong in this song!! I guess it would be a matter
of opinion...
I've heard that it was among the first anti-drug songs. 1966 is pretty early.
I thought that Steppenwolf recorded "The Pusher" around that time but I'm
wrong. Hoyt Axton, the writer, didn't record it until the early 70's.

CarltonsKeeper
04-14-2010, 10:01 AM
================================================== =========Who has the bud Lite?????
Your friendly PROCTOLOGIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

papaOU
04-14-2010, 01:06 PM
Your friendly PROCTOLOGIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

That is a keeper!!!!!!:LolLolLol

JMGrad68
04-17-2010, 06:43 PM
OK, Who played the "December Bride", who was her neighbor, and what show was Bess Myerson on after lunch every weekday? Too hard? What show did "Scoop O'Brien" host. And name the big guy on Foreman Scotty who looked a bit like Hoss on Bonanza..and who played him?

Prunepicker
04-17-2010, 09:09 PM
OK, Who played the "December Bride", who was her neighbor, and what show
was Bess Myerson on after lunch every weekday? Too hard? What show did
"Scoop O'Brien" host. And name the big guy on Foreman Scotty who looked a
bit like Hoss on Bonanza..and who played him?
I don't remember the show after lunch. She was on "I've Got a Secret".

Scoop O'Brien hosted "The Adventures of Superman" and I thought "Crusader
Rabbit". The big guy was Cannonball, but I don't remember his real name.

Do you remember how Foreman Scotty and Cannonball first met during the
adventures?

skyrick
04-17-2010, 09:18 PM
OK, Who played the "December Bride", who was her neighbor, and what show was Bess Myerson on after lunch every weekday? Too hard? What show did "Scoop O'Brien" host. And name the big guy on Foreman Scotty who looked a bit like Hoss on Bonanza..and who played him?

Can't remember Cannonball's real name, but he was a DJ on WKY.

Generals64
04-18-2010, 06:33 AM

================================================== =========
Spring Byington played "December Bride" and Colonel Potter was her next door neighbor....right now can't remember his real name....

USG '60
04-18-2010, 06:54 AM
Colonel Morgan was played by Harry Potter...... or something like that. :kicking:

papaOU
04-18-2010, 12:11 PM
Colonel Morgan was played by Harry Potter...... or something like that. :kicking:

No..Harry Potter drinks Capitan Morgan daily!!:tiphat:

Generals64
04-18-2010, 01:29 PM
No..Harry Potter drinks Capitan Morgan daily!!:tiphat:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's Harry Morgan? Porter? I don't remember/Help Carltonskeeper...

CarltonsKeeper
04-18-2010, 01:56 PM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's Harry Morgan? Porter? I don't remember/Help Carltonskeeper...
Harry Morgan!! Colonel Potter!! You sure got quiet about the Bar-B-Q your throwing for everyone at your house!! What's up??????
Lot's of people are waiting for the time and exact directions! Nice of you not to expect us to bring anything but ourselves and a date!!

Generals64
04-18-2010, 06:47 PM
Harry Morgan!! Colonel Potter!! You sure got quiet about the Bar-B-Q your throwing for everyone at your house!! What's up??????
Lot's of people are waiting for the time and exact directions! Nice of you not to expect us to bring anything but ourselves and a date!!
I'm sorry, it was today....didn't you get your invitation?

Prunepicker
04-18-2010, 08:27 PM
I'm sorry, it was today... didn't you get your invitation?
I had a great time. Funny how your house resembles the mission in Cow
Town. I thought you lived in Moore all this time.

JMGrad68
04-18-2010, 08:27 PM
Spring Byington played "December Bride" and Colonel Potter was her next door neighbor....right now can't remember his real name....

Wow, very good. Yes, Harry Morgan played "Pete" the next door neighbor and he'd talk about his wife, Gladys, whom you never saw. I don't know why I remember this but Spring Byington "Lily", had a dutch door and I have wanted one ever sonce. Later there was a spinoff "Pete and Gladys", with Cara Williams as an on-screen Gladys".

Cannonball (McCoy?) was played by Wilson Hurst, but I cheated, because he lived across the street from us on NW 83rd. I do not know how he met Foreman Scotty, did he save his life?

I think Bess Myerson was on a show called "The Name's the Same" hosted by Robert Q Lewis. For some reason I vaguely remember the Bob Crosby Show on around the same time, but I was only 3 or 4 then. Was 3-D Danny on yet then? Time to look at my Oklahoman Archives YouTube - WKY-TV 3D Danny episode (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YdxWJKOCHI)

Prunepicker
04-18-2010, 08:33 PM
I like the way the old TV shows didn't show you everything or everyone. It
made you use your minds eye to create the unseen character or event.
Things wouldn't be the same on the Andy Griffith Show if you saw Juanita or
Sarah.

There was an episode of "Home Improvement" that the men were talking
about "the look" from a woman. It brought fear to every man. It was fine
until the end of the show where they showed this woman giving "the look".
What a let down.

Today's shows allow nothing for the imagination

JMGrad68
04-18-2010, 08:59 PM
Dammm, General, Davey Crockett died? I had a rifle named Betsy, my mom would let me carry the meat home from the grocery (it was wrapped in white butcher paper and tied with string) and told everyone it was "bar" meat. Man, that svcks! Wonder if u can get a coonskin cap on ebay, lol...

Prunepicker
04-18-2010, 09:17 PM
Wonder if u can get a coonskin cap on ebay, lol...
There probably one in the magic van.

MikeOKC
04-18-2010, 09:51 PM
I like the way the old TV shows didn't show you everything or everyone. It
made you use your minds eye to create the unseen character or event.
Things wouldn't be the same on the Andy Griffith Show if you saw Juanita or
Sarah.

There was an episode of "Home Improvement" that the men were talking
about "the look" from a woman. It brought fear to every man. It was fine
until the end of the show where they showed this woman giving "the look".
What a let down.

Today's shows allow nothing for the imagination

Amen. Well said. Great example, too, with TAGS. I've been watching Perry Mason lately (episodes from the 50's and 60's) and that was another show that always dealt with a murder, but you never needed to see the blood.

Generals64
04-19-2010, 08:08 AM
There probably one in the magic van.

Yeah, but he hasn't earn his wings yet......Even have a Raccoon in there somewhere....(I hope).....Found a wild Boar's head to go along with it....

RealJimbo
04-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Wilson Hurst is right - Cannonball on Channel 4. His son has his same name but goes by Randy. Randy is alive and well, although I'm pretty sure dad, Wilson has passed on. Randy was in my class at school as was Dianne Freeman, the daughter of one of the weather men at Ch. 4. Other offspring of local TV and radio celebrities went to JMHS as well.

Generals64
04-19-2010, 11:13 AM
Wilson Hurst is right - Cannonball on Channel 4. His son has his same name but goes by Randy. Randy is alive and well, although I'm pretty sure dad, Wilson has passed on. Randy was in my class at school as was Dianne Freeman, the daughter of one of the weather men at Ch. 4. Other offspring of local TV and radio celebrities went to JMHS as well.

Only school that would take them?????

MikeOKC
04-19-2010, 11:24 AM
Only school that would take them?????

JM was a great school at the time. If it's northside, it isn't ALL bad, General. :smile:
I went to Northwest Classen.

JMGrad68
04-19-2010, 12:23 PM

Dang Jimbo, you had kicks, class of '66. Sorry, Gen'ral, but JM was the best then. Dianne's dad was Bob Thomas, and her little sister, Susie, in my class was beautiful...but they moved to Chicago. Randy's little sister Cheryl was Class of '67. So you no doubt had an H.I.S. jacket, wore white socks and weejuns, and helped us set the world record in Toys for Tots "donations".And went through the locked-unlocked-locked parking lot crises. Maybe you remember Tommy Hays, I sat behind him Latin with Miss Gesell. Hope life has treated you well and that you know about the big all-class reunion, we are renting Taft Stadium in June, no joke.

Generals64
04-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Dang Jimbo, you had kicks, class of '66. Sorry, Gen'ral, but JM was the best then. Dianne's dad was Bob Thomas, and her little sister, Susie, in my class was beautiful...but they moved to Chicago. Randy's little sister Cheryl was Class of '67. So you no doubt had an H.I.S. jacket, wore white socks and weejuns, and helped us set the world record in Toys for Tots "donations".And went through the locked-unlocked-locked parking lot crises. Maybe you remember Tommy Hays, I sat behind him Latin with Miss Gesell. Hope life has treated you well and that you know about the big all-class reunion, we are renting Taft Stadium in June, no joke.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey, gotta stand for the South Side and U.S. Grant. You guys DID have some extremely "Good Looking" girls however.....When they (the girls) would come to the side south...oH, never mind....We had some "Knock Outs" from Grant and Southeast. Was afraid of most of the girls from CHHS...."Just Kidding"...Really glad to have some Northside People on this nostalgia thread with us....The meeting (Next Saturday) at Coit's is for Anyone that wants to come....You gotta look out for Prunepicker though, he will add his Hot Dogs to your bill if he gets an opportunity....

papaOU
04-19-2010, 06:06 PM
I have never met a north side with a shaved upper lip.

Wait a minute! That might be nose hairs!

JMGrad68
04-20-2010, 12:28 AM
Andy's Gang, "Pluck your magic twanger, froggy" "Hiya kids, hiya, hiya" and Midnight the Cat "Niiiiiice" and Squeaky the mouse. YouTube - FROGGY THE GREMLIN PLUNK YOUR MAGIC TWANGER (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYZazW9Ja1k&feature=related)

USG '60
04-20-2010, 06:37 AM
Andy's Gang, "Pluck your magic twanger, froggy" "Hiya kids, hiya, hiya" and Midnight the Cat "Niiiiiice" and Squeaky the mouse. YouTube - FROGGY THE GREMLIN PLUNK YOUR MAGIC TWANGER (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYZazW9Ja1k&feature=related)

Smiling Ed McConnell had that show on radio. It is one of my earliest memories. Niiice, indeed.

Generals64
04-20-2010, 08:06 AM
Smiling Ed McConnell had that show on radio. It is one of my earliest memories. Niiice, indeed.
================================================== ========
Hey, I can still hear in my mind:....Welcome to the Graaaaannnndd Ole Opry off the old battery operated Radio my Grandfather had....I don't mean batteries like we used today I mean it looked like a car battery....No telling what that thing would be worth today.......He wouldn't let anyone turn the radio on on Saturday being afraid he might miss HIS radio show......What was Television then???? He and my Grandmother would dance (like granny on the Beverly Hillbillies) and I thought they were so cool.....

skyrick
04-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Hey, I can still hear in my mind:....Welcome to the Graaaaannnndd Ole Opry off the old battery operated Radio my Grandfather had....I don't mean batteries like we used today I mean it looked like a car battery....No telling what that thing would be worth today.......He wouldn't let anyone turn the radio on on Saturday being afraid he might miss HIS radio show......What was Television then???? He and my Grandmother would dance (like granny on the Beverly Hillbillies) and I thought they were so cool.....

I have a few antique radios. The one you're talking about was called a "farm" radio, marketed to rural homes before the New Deal and Rural Electrical Co-operatives really got going. And yes, the batteries were as big or bigger than a car battery. I've never had one of those. My best radio is a 1946 RCA AM w/2 shortwave bands tabletop.
I got a QSL card from a shortwave broadcast station in Uruguay, confirming my receipt of their signal. My Holy Grail of radios would be one of the massive, floor-standing Zenith consoles, with the big black dial and a Wave-Magnet (tm) internal aerial.

And, yes, your grandparents sound very cool!

MikeOKC
04-20-2010, 05:29 PM

General, What was your Grandfather's show?

Generals64
04-20-2010, 05:56 PM
General, What was your Grandfather's show?
He always thought The Grand Ole Opry was just for him......He never missed listening to it....He's get out his old guitar and play along with them and I got him a mandolin one time...you'd have thought he had acquired the world in a case....

MikeOKC
04-20-2010, 06:02 PM
He always thought The Grand Ole Opry was just for him......He never missed listening to it....He's get out his old guitar and play along with them and I got him a mandolin one time...you'd have thought he had acquired the world in a case....

That is really cool. Great memories for you! I have a collection af about 120GB of Old Time Radio. TRIVIA QUESTION: What famous (now more than then) OTR show was performed at the studios of WKY? It wasn't all that big when it aired, but with time has become one of the more respected OTR shows in its genre.

Prunepicker
04-20-2010, 09:22 PM
He always thought The Grand Ole Opry was just for him... He never missed
listening to it... He's get out his old guitar and play along with them and I got
him a mandolin one time... you'd have thought he had acquired the world in a
case...
What do you mean by "he never missed listening to it"? MTV is totally video.
He had to watch it on cable. Where have you been?

It's like he was listening to a radio or something. C'mon.

papaOU
04-21-2010, 02:26 AM
What do you mean by "he never missed listening to it"? MTV is totally video.
He had to watch it on cable. Where have you been?

It's like he was listening to a radio or something. C'mon.

Tell your kids and grandkids that you are old enough to remember when MTV played music videos! They won't know what the heck you are talking about.

Dad used to gripe about my little sister, " All those channels and all she has on is that infernal music station. Waste of money!)

Of course he sat around day and night watching the weather channel.

MikeOKC
04-21-2010, 06:19 PM
Trivia Question from my post a few up....I'm waiting for the General to show up, I bet he knows!

TRIVIA QUESTION: What famous (now more than then) OTR show was performed at the studios of WKY? It wasn't all that big when it aired, but with time has become one of the more respected OTR shows in its genre.

After this is answered correctly, I'll post a link to an episode; if you like it I'll giveway all the shows to anybody that wants them. It's strictly a hobby for me, not a business as some have tried to turn it into to.

Hammondjam
04-21-2010, 06:31 PM
Who were the twin girl singers on the early Mathis Bros. country music show. "Fire Blazin' Prices At Mathis Brother's Furniture?

I had a little boy crush on those lasses!

USG '60
04-21-2010, 09:58 PM
Who were the twin girl singers on the early Mathis Bros. country music show. "Fire Blazin' Prices At Mathis Brother's Furniture?

I had a little boy crush on those lasses!

Jan and Jill? Maybe?

JMGrad68
04-22-2010, 05:13 PM
Trivia Question from my post a few up....I'm waiting for the General to show up, I bet he knows!

TRIVIA QUESTION: What famous (now more than then) OTR show was performed at the studios of WKY? It wasn't all that big when it aired, but with time has become one of the more respected OTR shows in its genre.

After this is answered correctly, I'll post a link to an episode; if you like it I'll giveway all the shows to anybody that wants them. It's strictly a hobby for me, not a business as some have tried to turn it into to.

Are you referring to "The Buck Owens Show"...a "Mathis Brothers" presentation? I know I never missed it, I think it was on Channel 4 at about 4pm on Sundays. Don Rich kicked a$$. He played that Fender Telecaster that Buck gave him.

I'm an old-fashioned country acoustic guitar fan, so there is only one acoustic guitar brand for me.

Going way back, who remembers the "Serenaders" and their theme song? "Howdy, neighbors!".

JMGrad68
04-22-2010, 09:49 PM
I was wrong about the Serenaders a little bit. "Hi Neighbor" and then I remember them singing "Four Leaf Clover" at the end.

MikeOKC
04-22-2010, 11:22 PM
Are you referring to "The Buck Owens Show"...a "Mathis Brothers" presentation? I know I never missed it, I think it was on Channel 4 at about 4pm on Sundays. Don Rich kicked a$$. He played that Fender Telecaster that Buck gave him.

I'm an old-fashioned country acoustic guitar fan, so there is only one acoustic guitar brand for me.

Going way back, who remembers the "Serenaders" and their theme song? "Howdy, neighbors!".

No. OTR is Old Time Radio. The answer is "Dark Fantasy" an OTR show that is very much respected now. Here's an excellent page about the show and WKY (http://www.digitaldeliftp.com/DigitalDeliToo/dd2jb-Dark-Fantasy.html)

Generals64
04-23-2010, 06:06 AM
No. OTR is Old Time Radio. The answer is "Dark Fantasy" an OTR show that is very much respected now. Here's an excellent page about the show and WKY (http://www.digitaldeliftp.com/DigitalDeliToo/dd2jb-Dark-Fantasy.html)
O.K., you win...Not quite that old. But, I do remember listen to the old radio shows with my Grandfather...Especially Amos and Andy....then the old Jack Benny show....I don't know how they put together those shows with Cursing, Sex and showing some flesh.....Hmmmmm.

RealJimbo
04-23-2010, 07:14 AM
O.K., you win...Not quite that old. But, I do remember listen to the old radio shows with my Grandfather...Especially Amos and Andy....then the old Jack Benny show....I don't know how they put together those shows with Cursing, Sex and showing some flesh.....Hmmmmm.

I know you meant "without cursing..." etc. I remember Fibber McGee and Mollie, The Lone Ranger, Gunsmoke, One Man's Family, The Cisco Kid and I think Red Skelton was on radio too. We would sit and watch the radio. We didn't have a TV yet.

MikeOKC
04-23-2010, 10:08 AM
O.K., you win...Not quite that old. But, I do remember listen to the old radio shows with my Grandfather...Especially Amos and Andy....then the old Jack Benny show....I don't know how they put together those shows with Cursing, Sex and showing some flesh.....Hmmm

Ha! Well, I obviously don't remember when these shows were actually on, but collecting Old Time Radio is a big hobby. Many collectors here in OKC and I thought you just might know the answer. I think it's neat you remember listening with your Grandfather. At 50, I don't quite have those memories, but wish I did. I love OTR.

corpsman
04-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Ha! Well, I obviously don't remember when these shows were actually on, but collecting Old Time Radio is a big hobby. Many collectors here in OKC and I thought you just might know the answer. I think it's neat you remember listening with your Grandfather. At 50, I don't quite have those memories, but wish I did. I love OTR.

You missed out by about 10 years. One of my favorite radio shows was Horatio Hornblower. Enjoyed Mel Allen broadcasting Yankees games even though I was a Warren Spahn, Milwaukee Braves fan. If our class at school had been acting good, the World Series games would be piped in over the school's P A system.

Prunepicker
04-23-2010, 07:56 PM
You missed out by about 10 years. One of my favorite radio shows was
Horatio Hornblower. Enjoyed Mel Allen broadcasting Yankees games even
though I was a Warren Spahn, Milwaukee Braves fan. If our class at school
had been acting good, the World Series games would be piped in over the
school's P A system.
There were two things that trumped everything when I was in school. The
World Series and launching Astronauts into space. Even work placed eased
back during those events.