View Full Version : Old Television shows/Trivia

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

gen70
04-28-2010, 09:49 PM
You thilly gothip mongers are in for thum BIIIG trouble. :fighting4 Why? You think that their are light slippers here? Where is Wildwood?

USG '60
04-28-2010, 10:15 PM
Why? You think that their are light slippers here? Where is Wildwood?

Behind Red Rock Mental Health Center, appropriately. :kicking: I have several friends who live there, too, :ohno:.

ljbab728
04-28-2010, 11:07 PM
Gail Storm was the star in "My Little Margie" but, what was the story line?...I only remember something about a boat....No, not the Love Boat....Another one is what did Sky King do for a living?...I know he flew a plane but was he just a pilot?.....Fury:....Now there was an action packed show....Every young boy wanted a wild Stallion to be his own horse....But is ranching all it was about???
Spin and Marty :.....any of you new guys remember them...if so, what was the alternate show when they weren't on?....What show did Spin go to after that one???? What color horse did Marty ride???? Spin didn't care...Marty had to have a certain horse....If you remember the show if took two or three episodes for him to obtain the rights to that horse...

Gail Storm lived with her father, Charles Farrell, who was a widower. A lot of it was about his problems with his boss and with women and how she kept getting involved. Even though she was the "titular" star he was much better known at the time. A lot of the comedy in it could have been similar to "I Love Lucy" in that it kept putting her in unusual situations. It was set in New York and had no connection to a boat.

Sky King was an Arizona rancher and somehow managed to incorporate criminals, spies, lost hikers, etc. into a show that allowed him and his niece, Penny, to use his plane to help the plot along.

Fury was about a widower, Peter Graves who later became famous with "Mission Impossible", who's wife and son had been killed in an auto accident. He adopted an orphan who had been in a little bit of trouble with the law previously. It was kind of a morality tale featuring the attraction between a boy and a horse.

Spin and Marty started out as a segment on the "Micky Mouse Club" with an actor named David Stollery as Marty and Tim Considine as Spin. There were two later sequels called "The Further Adventures of Spin and Marty" and "The New Adventures of Spin and Marty". It took place on a dude ranch. Tim Considine appeared in several movies and was the oldest son in the televsion show "My Three Sons" with Fred McMurray. Disney had a couple of other serial type segments on the show. One was "The Hardy Boys" which also starred Tim Considine and another was "Walt Disney Presents: Annette" which starred , who else, Annette Funnicello.

This is what happens when you spend your youth in front of a TV set in the 50's like I did.

JMGrad68
04-29-2010, 12:37 AM
Gail Storm lived with her father, Charles Farrell, who was a widower. A lot of it was about his problems with his boss and with women and how she kept getting involved. Even though she was the "titular" star he was much better known at the time. A lot of the comedy in it could have been similar to "I Love Lucy" in that it kept putting her in unusual situations. It was set in New York and had no connection to a boat.

Sky King was an Arizona rancher and somehow managed to incorporate criminals, spies, lost hikers, etc. into a show that allowed him and his niece, Penny, to use his plane to help the plot along.

Fury was about a widower, Peter Graves who later became famous with "Mission Impossible", who's wife and son had been killed in an auto accident. He adopted an orphan who had been in a little bit of trouble with the law previously. It was kind of a morality tale featuring the attraction between a boy and a horse.

Spin and Marty started out as a segment on the "Micky Mouse Club" with an actor named David Stollery as Marty and Tim Considine as Spin. There were two later sequels called "The Further Adventures of Spin and Marty" and "The New Adventures of Spin and Marty". It took place on a dude ranch. Tim Considine appeared in several movies and was also a son in the televsion show "My Three Sons" with Fred McMurray. Disney had a couple of other serial type segments on the show. One was "The Hardy Boys" which also starred Tim Considine and another was "Walt Disney Presents: Annette" which starred , who else, Annette Funnicello.

This is what happens when you spend your youth in front of a TV set in the 50's like I did.

I loved Gail Storm. When one of her plans would go wrong she made this funny "eeeeeeeeeeeee" sound. There was a little old lady neighbor next door that got involved often. She had another series called "Oh Susannah" that was the show on a boat, and her pal was Zasu Pitts who played "Nugey".

On Spin and Marty there was a ranch hand named Ollie, who always said "Well I'll be a blue-nosed gopher!" but Harry Carey Jr was sort of the head counselor. I remember Marty's English butler, J Pat O'Malley and a Chinese cook, too. I think they eventually worked Annette into the show. Annette Funicello...need I say more. Well I could say Sherry Jackson, on Make Room for Daddy, and then, Star Trek...well, this is taking a turn in a different direction, so I'd better stop here ;D Youtube has a lot of clips from these old shows...including a tribute to Sherry Jackson!

ljbab728
04-29-2010, 12:46 AM
I loved Gail Storm. When one of her plans would go wrong she made this funny "eeeeeeeeeeeee" sound. There was a little old lady neighbor next door that got involved often. She had another series called "Oh Susannah" that was the show on a boat, and her pal was Zasu Pitts who played "Nugey".

On Spin and Marty there was a ranch hand named Ollie, who always said "Well I'll be a blue-nosed gopher!" but Harry Carey Jr was sort of the head counselor. I remember Marty's English butler, J Pat O'Malley and a Chinese cook, too. I think they eventually worked Annette into the show. Annette Funicello...need I say more. Well I could say Sherry Jackson, on Make Room for Daddy, and then, Star Trek...well, this is taking a turn in a different direction, so I'd better stop here ;D Youtube has a lot of clips from these old shows...including a tribute to Sherry Jackson!

Yes the neighbor was a woman name Mrs. Odetts who was in her 80's when the show was filmed. One of Gale Storm's trademarks was the funny trilling noise she made in her throat. She was also an accomplished singer. Charles Farrell later had a show called the "Charles Farrell Show' which was about a tennis club in Palm Springs which he actually owned in real life.

USG '60
04-29-2010, 07:45 AM
Yes the neighbor was a woman name Mrs. Odetts who was in her 80's when the show was filmed. One of Gale Storm's trademarks was the funny trilling noise she made in her throat. She was also an accomplished singer. Charles Farrell later had a show called the "Charles Farrell Show' which was about a tennis club in Palm Springs which he actually owned in real life.

Yeah, I loved her Little Richard covers. :LolLolLol

Generals64
04-29-2010, 08:44 AM
Yeah, I loved her Little Richard covers. :LolLolLol

================================================== ========
O.K., you guys win.....Ta Da.....

JMGrad68
04-29-2010, 03:40 PM
================================================== ========
O.K., you guys win.....Ta Da.....

Well I'll be a blue-nosed gopher!

Like this? YouTube - 1953 TV show intros Part 2 of 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdAheidx88w)

Generals64
04-29-2010, 06:57 PM
One the 3-D Danny show he had two weird sayings:.....Synchrorectoverter....and I can't remember the other...help me out guys...

gen70
04-29-2010, 07:57 PM
I used to "go with" one of 3-D's daughters and he is quite a character.

Generals64
04-29-2010, 09:01 PM
I used to "go with" one of 3-D's daughters and he is quite a character.

================================================== =========
My son did the last interview with him before he retired. The interview made it to the "dead film" festival in OKC. He did pretty good in it....

Generals64
04-30-2010, 10:11 AM
Hey, what was the name of the guy that played "mr. Peepers

RealJimbo
04-30-2010, 10:25 AM
Hey, what was the name of the guy that played "mr. Peepers

Wally Cox

Prunepicker
05-01-2010, 11:51 PM
Wally Cox died of a heart attack when he was only 49 years old!

skyrick
05-02-2010, 07:35 AM
Wally Cox died of a heart attack when he was only 49 years old!

I had a stroke in 1980 when I was 26. A fellow worker died of a heart attack on the tennis court at 36. Like the old blues tune said, "Death don't have no mercy."

Prunepicker
05-02-2010, 01:49 PM
I was visiting a cemetery last month and found the grave of a famous blues
singer. The engraving said, "Well, I didn't wake up this morning..."

papaOU
05-02-2010, 01:52 PM
I was visiting a cemetery last month and found the grave of a famous blues
singer. The engraving said, "Well, I didn't wake up this morning..."

Now that's a good one....

Generals64
05-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Now that's a good one....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------You younger guys...what was the name of the show that had Rocky the Squirrel on it?

corpsman
05-05-2010, 05:43 PM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------You younger guys...what was the name of the show that had Rocky the Squirrel on it?

Just younger enough, but pretty sure the first show was the Rocky the Squirrel Show. Later called Rocky and Bullwinkle. In my book, ranks right up there with Beanie and Cecil as cartoons kids had to ask parents to explain.

Generals64
05-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Just younger enough, but pretty sure the first show was the Rocky the Squirrel Show. Later called Rocky and Bullwinkle. In my book, ranks right up there with Beanie and Cecil as cartoons kids had to ask parents to explain.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I understand that but wasn't there an overall show when this came on????

corpsman
05-05-2010, 07:30 PM

Don't recall as there was, but that's a lot of water ago. I remember it as mostly Rocky and Bullwinkle with Dudley Doright, the dog, Mr. Peabody and his boy Sherman and the Way Back Machine....Kind of a cartoon variety show as it were.

skyrick
05-05-2010, 08:38 PM

It started out as "Rocky and his Friends" then became "The Bullwinkle Show", later in reruns it was called "Rocky and Bullwinkle". Home was Frostbite Falls, Minnesota. I liked Bullwinkle's alma mater, Wassamatta U.

JMGrad68
05-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Don't recall as there was, but that's a lot of water ago. I remember it as mostly Rocky and Bullwinkle with Dudley Doright, the dog, Mr. Peabody and his boy Sherman and the Way Back Machine....Kind of a cartoon variety show as it were.

I think it was Rocky & Friends at first...and I loved Fractured Fairy Tales read by Edward Everett Horton. Then I'm pretty sure it was early "primetime " for a while as "The Bullwinkle Show" in the early sixties. Dudley often said "I'll save you, Nell!". Hans Conried was the voice of Snidely Whiplash.

Great show, thank you Jay Ward.

Prunepicker
05-05-2010, 09:25 PM
Rocky and Friend / Bullwinkle is the greatest cartoon ever. Stan Frieberg was
a great influence for the staff and artists.

papaOU
05-05-2010, 11:45 PM
I think it was Rocky & Friends at first...and I loved Fractured Fairy Tales read by Edward Everett Horton. Then I'm pretty sure it was early "primetime " for a while as "The Bullwinkle Show" in the early sixties. Dudley often said "I'll save you, Nell!". Hans Conried was the voice of Snidely Whiplash.

Great show, thank you Jay Ward.

I think it was on Sunday prime-time, ABC?

sam greenroyd
05-06-2010, 06:48 AM

We left out Boris, I like him he reminds me of a painter that used to work for me. I used to call him Boris. lol

gen70
05-06-2010, 04:48 PM
I really liked Beanie and Cecil, it was pretty far out for it's time. ( GoVan ManGo )

papaOU
05-06-2010, 04:57 PM
I really liked Beanie and Cecil, it was pretty far out for it's time. ( GoVan ManGo )

I still like to yell "Help Cecil, Help!!" Every once in a while. Most people today have no idea.

gen70
05-06-2010, 05:45 PM
I still like to yell "Help Cecil, Help!!" Every once in a while. Most people today have no idea. He..He..I do..!

corpsman
05-06-2010, 08:17 PM

One of my favorite places on the Beanie & Cecil world map was the No Bikini Atoll...Sometimes hard to decide which show was punnier Rocky or Beanie & Cecil..................I'm a'coming Beanie Boy

Prunepicker
05-06-2010, 11:46 PM
Nobody has mentioned Tutor Turtle, Tennessee Tuxedo or that detective dog
(I forget his name) Mc something. McGruff?

skyrick
05-07-2010, 05:20 AM
Nobody has mentioned Tutor Turtle, Tennessee Tuxedo or that detective dog
(I forget his name) Mc something. McGruff?

Hemlock Holmes?

re: Tutor. "Dlizzle, dlazzle, dluzzle, dlome. Time for zis vun to come home."

skyrick
05-07-2010, 05:24 AM
On The Man From U.N.C.L.E. Solo and Kuryakin worked for the United Network Command for Law Enforcement. Does anyone remember what THRUSH stood for, besides evil of course. I mean was it an acronym, and if so for what?

Generals64
05-07-2010, 08:11 AM
On The Man From U.N.C.L.E. Solo and Kuryakin worked for the United Network Command for Law Enforcement. Does anyone remember what THRUSH stood for, besides evil of course. I mean was it an acronym, and if so for what?
Don't Forget Yogi Bear and his buddy Boo. Then there was "Mighty Mouse"...and how about Batman and Robing.."Crash" Boom...Bam...

papaOU
05-07-2010, 08:31 AM
What about Ignatz and Krazy Kat?

osu cowboy
05-07-2010, 08:42 AM

Technological Hierarchy for the Removal of Undesireables and the Subjugation of Humanity.

Being an U.N.C.L.E. fan I didn't remember this so I looked it up. I guess they were copying Ian Flemings' Bond organizations.

papaOU
05-07-2010, 09:40 AM

Call the offices of Dan Davis. Tell them you means business!

osu cowboy
05-07-2010, 11:11 AM

That's funny! Only work an old spy can get nowadays I guess.

CarltonsKeeper
05-07-2010, 12:30 PM
I think we'll just go ahead and settle this one!! LMAO

Prunepicker
05-07-2010, 02:11 PM
On The Man From U.N.C.L.E. Solo and Kuryakin worked for the United Network
Command for Law Enforcement. Does anyone remember what THRUSH stood
for, besides evil of course. I mean was it an acronym, and if so for
what?
Not without looking it up. I know what SPECTRE stands for. But that's not
TV trivia.

skyrick
05-07-2010, 04:19 PM
What about Ignatz and Krazy Kat?

Ignatz and Krazy Kat, the cartoon, drooled. The comic, which ran from 1916-1943, ruled. Fantagraphics Books has been releasing all the Sunday full page George Herriman Krazy & Ignatz comics over the last few years. For some reason they started in the middle, 1925, and worked towards Herriman's death in 1943. Now they're starting to release the first part, 1916-1924. Krazy Kat the komic strip is the most hallucinogenic, surreal comic ever.

skyrick
05-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Technological Hierarchy for the Removal of Undesireables and the Subjugation of Humanity.

Being an U.N.C.L.E. fan I didn't remember this so I looked it up. I guess they were copying Ian Flemings' Bond organizations.

SPECTRE was the Supreme Political Executive for Counter-intelligence, Terrorism, Revenge and Extortion.

SMERSH was a contraction of Smyert Schpionam, or Death to Spies. SMERSH was real, SPECTRE, not.

edit: oops! you're right PP.

Prunepicker
05-07-2010, 07:35 PM
SPECTRE was the Supreme Political Executive for Counter-intelligence,
Terrorism, Revenge and Extortion.
I thought it was the SPecial Executive for...

Tall Girl
05-07-2010, 07:55 PM
I haven't seen anything about that Hunk Clint Walker in Cheyenne.

Prunepicker
05-07-2010, 08:15 PM
I haven't seen anything about that Hunk Clint Walker in Cheyenne.
Funny you should mention that. I've been watching Cheyenne on Netflix!
Clint Walker and I are look a likes, you know.

Generals64
05-08-2010, 08:29 AM
Funny you should mention that. I've been watching Cheyenne on Netflix!
Clint Walker and I are look a likes, you know.

I knew that....you both have a set of eyes. Hey, who played "Sugarfoot"?

papaOU
05-08-2010, 10:27 AM

Never knew his real name. he was one of the few blacks on Paseo. He sold quality stuff at affordable prices.

USG '60
05-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Never knew his real name. he was one of the few blacks on Paseo. He sold quality stuff at affordable prices.

Huh? :confused:A rare black dude who sold quality goods down on Paseo played Sugerfoot? WEIRD.:omg:

Prunepicker
05-08-2010, 07:27 PM
I knew that... you both have a set of eyes. Hey, who played "Sugarfoot"?

Somebody who's name I've forgotten. I may have answered it earlier by
cheating.

skyrick
05-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Ignatz and Krazy Kat, the cartoon, drooled. The comic, which ran from 1916-1943, ruled. Fantagraphics Books has been releasing all the Sunday full page George Herriman Krazy & Ignatz comics over the last few years. For some reason they started in the middle, 1925, and worked towards Herriman's death in 1943. Now they're starting to release the first part, 1916-1924. Krazy Kat the komic strip is the most hallucinogenic, surreal comic ever.

To illustrate, here's a panel from 1925. The Kat's zen observation is more understandable when you realize "wiza woiza" is Kat-speak for visa-versa.

http://www.okctalk.com/members/skyrick-albums-my-photos-picture280-krazy-kat-1925.jpg

This is pretty hard to read, sorry. I've got a 24" iMac and it's hard to read the text.

gen70
05-08-2010, 11:11 PM
To illustrate, here's a panel from 1925. The Kat's zen observation is more understandable when you realize "wiza woiza" is Kat-speak for visa-versa.

http://www.okctalk.com/members/skyrick-albums-my-photos-picture280-krazy-kat-1925.jpg

This is pretty hard to read, sorry. I've got a 24" iMac and it's hard to read the text. I'am thinking opium smack or,(hash maybe)

papaOU
05-09-2010, 12:03 AM
I'am thinking opium smack or,(hash maybe)

Does anyone else remember the cartoon that played during the 60's? Ignatz was always throwing a brick and hitting the cop (I think he was a dog) in the head? There was not much to the illustration, a gray back round and the cast were just pretty blank. Kind of what Tom Terrific was (I think).

A friend of mines favorite saying was, "Ignatz! You poor widdle mouse!"

Maybe someone remembers that sentence from the cartoon.

skyrick
05-09-2010, 08:15 AM
I'am thinking opium smack or,(hash maybe)

Well, Herriman was an artist, in the 1920's, before the Reefer Madness hysteria. A lot of his panels show striped, zig-zag, and polka dot mushrooms in the background!

skyrick
05-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Does anyone else remember the cartoon that played during the 60's? Ignatz was always throwing a brick and hitting the cop (I think he was a dog) in the head? There was not much to the illustration, a gray back round and the cast were just pretty blank. Kind of what Tom Terrific was (I think).

A friend of mines favorite saying was, "Ignatz! You poor widdle mouse!"

Maybe someone remembers that sentence from the cartoon.

That was the only thing the cartoon had in common with the comic strip. Ignatz Mouse hated Krazy Kat and kept bonking him/her in the head with a brick; Krazy interpreted this as affection from Ignatz and pined for the mouse; Offisa Pupp loved Krazy and thus was always on the look for Ignatz' evil-doing.

The cartoon totally lacked the artistry of the backgrounds, the surrealism of the scenery and subject matter, and the whimsy of the comic. William Randolph Hearst gave the Sunday versions a whole page to itself. That's why Herriman was able to really get elaborate with his drawings.

Table of Contents (http://krazy.com/toc.htm)

As a side note, in Pulp Fiction in the scene with the standoff in the diner, Samuel Jackson is wearing a Krazy & Ignatz t-shirt showing Krazy getting beaned with a brick.

Tall Girl
05-10-2010, 09:16 PM

My friend Lena says Will Hutchins.

Prunepicker
05-10-2010, 09:45 PM
I just looked it up. She's right, he played Sugarfoot.

papaOU
05-10-2010, 10:20 PM

I know an Italian women with one leg. Her name's Lena!

JMGrad68
05-17-2010, 06:39 PM
I just looked it up. She's right, he played Sugarfoot.

"Sugarfoot, Sugarfoot

Easy lopin', cattle ropin', Sugarfoot."

I don't know why I remember all those old Western theme songs, but my favorites were Wyatt Earp "The Life & Legend of Wyatt Earp" to be more correct, and "Bat Masterson" , But then there's Gunsmoke, and maybe the best was "Wagon Train" written by Jerome Moross who also wrote the incomparable "Big Country" and the amazing "Welcoming" from The Big Country" bye gang, off listening to musichttp://www.snapdrive.net/files/531840/TV%20-%20The%20Life%20%26%20Legend%20Of%20Wyatt%20Earp.m p3

JMGrad68
05-17-2010, 06:43 PM
The Theme from "Wagon Train" by Jerome Moross, obviously I dont own the copyright but I paid for the recording and am posting it here for educational purposes only
http://www.snapdrive.net/files/531840/Jerome%20Moross%20-%20Wagon%20Train.mp3

JMGrad68
05-17-2010, 06:54 PM
The Theme from "Wagon Train" by Jerome Moross, obviously I dont own the copyright but I paid for the recording and am posting it here for educational purposes only
http://www.snapdrive.net/files/531840/Jerome%20Moross%20-%20Wagon%20Train.mp3

Ok, can't post Wagon Train without putting up the Big Country, again I dont own the copyright but I paid for the recording and am posting it here for educational purposes onlyhttp://www.snapdrive.net/files/531840/The%20Big%20Country%20-%20J.%20Moross.mp3