View Full Version : Whole lotta shakin' goin' on...

TaoMaas
03-08-2009, 07:17 AM
Wow! A few minutes ago, our whole house shook. My wife said, "Did you feel that? What was it?" We live next to a busy street and have had two cars end up in our front yard during the nearly 2 years that we've lived here, so our first thought was that it was a car wreck very near the house. We went outside...looked around...and saw nothing. I finally told me wife, "You know what? I think we just had an earthquake!" Did anyone else feel it?

PennyQuilts
03-08-2009, 07:20 AM
I'll be looking at the news. Weird.

soonerkev
03-08-2009, 07:30 AM
I live in Moore and I felt it.

GWB
03-08-2009, 07:31 AM
Wow! A few minutes ago, our whole house shook. My wife said, "Did you feel that? What was it?" We live next to a busy street and have had two cars end up in our front yard during the nearly 2 years that we've lived here, so our first thought was that it was a car wreck very near the house. We went outside...looked around...and saw nothing. I finally told me wife, "You know what? I think we just had an earthquake!" Did anyone else feel it?

It was a 3.6.

Magnitude 3.6 - OKLAHOMA CITY URBAN AREA, OKLAHOMA (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2009dyaq.php)

BDP
03-08-2009, 07:38 AM
Initially reported as a 3.6 this morning:

Latest Earthquakes in the USA - Last 7 days (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/)

I felt it as a quick jolt that rattle some doors. No damage or anything. I think this is the first one I've felt in Oklahoma.

SOONER8693
03-08-2009, 07:42 AM
I did. I live on SW 137th in far southwest OKC. Lasted about 4-5 seconds.

GWB
03-08-2009, 07:45 AM
Initially reported as a 3.6 this morning:

Latest Earthquakes in the USA - Last 7 days (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/)

I felt it as a quick jolt that rattle some doors. No damage or anything. I think this is the first one I've felt in Oklahoma.

You're little late to the party. :sofa:

http://www.okctalk.com/midwest-city-del-city/16967-whole-lotta-shakin-goin.html

SoonerFever1
03-08-2009, 07:46 AM
Felt it here in Del City. Shook the house bad enough that it woke us and the baby up and brought all the neighbors outside.

This is the second one we have felt in 2 years in Del City.

Redskin 70
03-08-2009, 08:25 AM
yep I felt it.
and before my first cup of coffee:woowoo:

Dave Cook
03-08-2009, 08:56 AM
That was weird. I felt it on SW 119.

That was more of a mini-quake but enough to wake you up and acknowledge the fact it was quake. I've felt dozens of much harder quakes in Japan that would have shaken the house for several seconds. That just felt like a soft BOOM and then that was it.

plmccordj
03-08-2009, 08:59 AM
I felt it in Del City and it shook the house and pictures on the wall. I could visibly see my televison hanging on the wall shake. It sounded like a rumble and ended with a hard boom for about 4 or 5 seconds. All my neighbors were standing on their porch when I went outside.

TaoMaas
03-08-2009, 09:00 AM
That just felt like a soft BOOM and then that was it. That's the way it was at my house. I told someone that it felt very similar to the way my car feels when it gets hit by a sudden gust of air.

plmccordj
03-08-2009, 09:02 AM
It was a pretty strong rumble and then a boom here in Del City. According to the geological survey it was less than a mile from my house... Magnitude 3.4 - OKLAHOMA CITY URBAN AREA, OKLAHOMA (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsus/Quakes/us2009dyaq.php)

otis
03-08-2009, 09:03 AM
Husband Felt it and heard a boom in Midwest City. Post & 29th

JerzeeGrlinOKC
03-08-2009, 09:27 AM
I think we felt it too! We live on the south side of 240 off of Sooner Road. We both suddenly woke up around 8am to a sudden loud noise. My fiance thought there was a large sudden wind that caused a "boom", and I thought our cat knocked something large over that woke us up but seeing as the cat was sleeping in the other room and there is no wind outside, and reading the earthquake report, this makes sense that it was an earthquake.

If you felt the quake, don't forget to report it to US Geological Survey! M3.4 – Oklahoma City Urban Area, Oklahoma (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/dyfi/events/us/2009dyaq/us/index.html)

Click on the "Did you feel it?" link and a pop-up will show up that you can fill out.

drum4no1
03-08-2009, 09:41 AM
In moore and I felt it too. I was in bed and thought I was crazy. House started shaiking and windows started rattling!!

Smokin Joe
03-08-2009, 01:02 PM
ANd this orning, When I heard "Thump", I just thought that the sleeping cat had fallen off the couch and hit the floor. ;-)

Joe

Thunder
03-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Yeah, major shake in Del City reported by mom and friends. I was sleepin at the time and I'm on southside of OKC, just edge of Del City. I didn't realize, but around that time, the cat did got crazy jumpin on me.

Lauri101
03-08-2009, 05:45 PM
I was working out and the whole house shook - the SO asked me if I was jumping too hard! LOL

:fighting2
After he picked himself up from the floor, we went outside with most of our neighbors. No discernible damage, but wall art did rattle and shake.

workman45
03-08-2009, 08:58 PM
I felt it here at NW 36th & Meridian. I've been suprised at how many quakes there are here. I've been fairly sensitive to them since getting caught across the range from the bay area when the big one hit there. Watching the top of a 60 foot fir tree slap the ground on both sides of the trunk and your parked car dance in the street makes for an interesting day.

Thunder
03-08-2009, 10:15 PM
OKLAHOMA CITY -- A mild earthquake shook the Oklahoma City area on Sunday.

The quake measured 3.4 magnitude as reported by the U.S. Geological Survey and hit just after 8 a.m. The epicenter was at 15th Street and Bryant Avenue, about three miles below the surface.

People in southeastern Oklahoma City, Moore, Midwest City and Del City reported feeling the tremors.

Martha Lewis said she was brushing her teeth at her home a few miles away from the epicenter when the quake hit. Her husband was still in bed and felt the brass knobs on the bedpost shake.

"He was going to flip out onto the floor," she said. "I heard it first and then you could feel the vibration and then a real loud (sound), almost like a boom. The whole house started to rock and shake."

She said when the rattling finally stopped several photographs were out of place.

"I had to straighten (them) up," she said. "It was scary."

There were no immediate reports of significant damage.

Lewis said that she knows it wasn't the first earthquake to hit Oklahoma and won't be the last. The region averages about five earthquakes a year but there have already been five small ones so far in 2009. All of the previous quakes measured less than 3.4 magnitude.

"Oklahoma has a fault line,' she said. "There is a possibility for a major earthquake."

Mild Earthquake Shakes OKC Area - Oklahoma City News Story - KOCO Oklahoma City (http://www.koco.com/news/18881857/detail.html)

I wonder when the next one will hit? Probably will even be bigger! I know exactly where this location is and I drive over it many times!

Could someone describe just exactly what happened 3 miles below? Did a huge chunk of rock dropped or something? I'm thinkin it will be soon that a huge fault line will open up, swallowing everything in its path.

venture
03-08-2009, 10:27 PM
This is what we have so far this year:

OKLAHOMA GEOLOGICAL SURVEY OBSERVATORY
OKLAHOMA EARTHQUAKE CATALOG 2009

DATE TIME (CT) COUNTY ST MM MAGNITUDES LATITUDE LONGITUDE DEPTH SM
YYYY MMM DD HH MM SS.SS 3Hz bLg km

2009 JAN 28 05:19:09AM GRADY OK F 3.4 35.163N 97.871W 5.00R OC
2009 JAN 29 07:03:00PM LINCOLN OK F 2.4 35.724N 96.920W 5.00R OC
2009 FEB 03 04:23:00AM COAL OK F 3.2 34.580N 96.369W 5.00R OC
2009 FEB 22 03:43:07AM GARFIELD OK F 3.2 36.353N 98.098W 5.00R OC

Oklahoma Earthquake Catalog 2007 (http://156.110.192.25/level2/okeqcat/okeqcat.2009.html)

Going back through the records the OGS has, 1952 is the only year since 1897 we've had 4 or more 3.0 or high magnitude earthquakes in the same year. Not that it really means anything, just an interesting fact.

venture
03-08-2009, 10:39 PM
I wonder when the next one will hit? Probably will even be bigger! I know exactly where this location is and I drive over it many times!

Could someone describe just exactly what happened 3 miles below? Did a huge chunk of rock dropped or something? I'm thinkin it will be soon that a huge fault line will open up, swallowing everything in its path.[/COLOR]

We've seen quakes over 5.0 before, but only once or twice if memory serves correctly. The funny thing is the main fault line isn't up here, it is down through the Wichita Mountains. As far as what is causing these earthquakes in these other locations - I'll need to do more reading. More than likely probably something to do with different rock types under us just sliding. Things are pretty varied around us and then you add in the various rivers and other faults that aren't as well known. There has been some discussion that increase oil/gas drilling can cause earthquakes, but I doubt anyone would ever be able to make a direct connection since we are already in a seismicly active location.

http://www.ogs.ou.edu/geolmapping/Geo_mapOK1954.pdf

These little things are no more than the earth slipping under us and pressure getting relieved. We'll probably need someone from the OGS or USGS to really get any more descriptive, but I have a feeling there are some semester projects at OU that are going to be based on all of this.

Thunder
03-09-2009, 03:57 AM
If another one like this hits closer to Lake Hefner, what will be the effect?

There was a 4 hours movie on NBC a few years ago, it was broken up with 2 days. I can't remember the name of it. The movie included Oklahoma having a huge fault line ripping up Oklahoma in half.

PennyQuilts
03-09-2009, 04:01 AM

There was a 4 hours movie on NBC a few years ago, it was broken up with 2 days. I can't remember the name of it. The movie included Oklahoma having a huge fault line ripping up Oklahoma in half.

I don't think that is going to happen.

kevinpate
03-09-2009, 04:48 AM
> Oklahoma having a huge fault line ripping up Oklahoma in half
In real life, that's called the republican party platform. 8^)

bombermwc
03-09-2009, 08:10 AM
Woke me up at 240/Sooner. Thought someone had rammed into my house. As for Hefner, why would we be worried? This one was close to Draper and nothing happened. They are both the same type of lake. We'd have to have something much bigger to actually break the dams anyway. And at that point, I think we're going to have plenty other things to worry about...meaning if it's big enough to case the dam to break, then it's going to cause a LOT of other damage.

bigjkt405
03-09-2009, 09:16 AM
I felt it.

Whats next? A Hurricane rippin through OKC????

jstanthrnme
03-09-2009, 09:57 AM

It's known that earthquakes cause tsunami's.

For safety reasons, I propose we ban all picnics, sailing, and general recreation at Lake Hefner.

BBatesokc
03-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Got our attention too. Honestly, I thought it was crazy squirrels chasing each other on our roof. I'm near SE 44 and Sooner.

plmccordj
03-09-2009, 03:28 PM
> Oklahoma having a huge fault line ripping up Oklahoma in half
In real life, that's called the republican party platform. 8^)

That could be said the Republican AND Democrat platform as they have become the same these days.

AFCM
03-11-2009, 05:03 AM
I doubt a mid-three magnitude earthquake could drop the Crosstown, but it is certainly a scary thought to consider. Suppose the epicenter was about five miles west; I wonder how I-40 would endure.

Thunder
03-11-2009, 05:17 AM
That would be a major disaster.

What would they do? Rebuild? Speed up the new highway?

Something to think about!