View Full Version : What Kind Of Corporations Does OKC Have The Upper Hand With?

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-17-2005, 04:47 PM
If we do get an out of state corporation, who would it be? What companies are interested in us?

Patrick
01-17-2005, 05:29 PM
Seems like anymore all we're getting is call centers.

I'd say we might have a chance at getting a Microsoft call center.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-17-2005, 05:54 PM
That would be India.

I think we have a hand with energy corporations. Maybe some retail companies, and maybe some manufacturing companies. Just my opinion.

Midtowner
01-17-2005, 06:17 PM
It seems that executives don't mind opening centers in OKC where they pay workers low wages. Because of our low cost of living, they don't have to feel so bad about paying people $7.00/hr.

Our problem has always been getting the executives to move here because they as well could experience the low cost of living.

Oklahoma City should sell the Edmond neighborhoods and schools to executives, along with the relatively short and traffic free commute compared to most major cities. I think that angle could really land us some major deals.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-17-2005, 06:37 PM
You mean with comercials, and find out who is looking and send them iniciative packages?

mranderson
01-17-2005, 06:48 PM

yes. In fact, If I counted right, we have 13 major call centers.

floater
01-17-2005, 08:09 PM
For the sake of argument, let's exclude branch operations, because OKC has shown it can attract some manufacturing and definitely call centers. Let's go for the big kahunas -- HQs. What can we attract?

I think early stage biotech companies are a possibility with the OUHSC and Presbyterian research park. Granted, we are talking about companies often with less than thirty employees, but attracting them early on and giving as much support to them as possible so they stay could lead to our very own Genentech or Eli Lilly.

And as much as I dislike the presence of trucks on the highways and highway frontage, we have an advantage with our central, interstate location. Distribution companies could find value in locating in OKC. Fleming was an example. I think landing UPS from Louisville or FedEx from Memphis would be delicious -- and unlikely -- but these are the kind of companies that would do well with an OKC location.

I also think a household goods producer like Procter and Gamble would do well here, because let's face it, homebodies are norm in OKC. We are a leading market for Wal-Mart, and I think are consumers are on some level indicative of what's lasting in the national market. It makes sense that Sonic is based here because Americans who drive and like burgers are the norm, not the exception.

In terms of aviation, I think we'll continue to only serve as a base for manufacturing, not HQs. We need more aerospace/mechanical engineering grads to lure a Gulfstream. Small government contractors are probably our best hope for HQs.

Finally, it may not be such a bad thing to have call centers. To take advantage of our native abilities with CCs (we are courteous with a better work ethic (read: we show up) than a lot of other cities), what about attracting companies that specialize in customer service? In other words, companies that contract their call customer service (like Convergys) capabilities can find a place in OKC. Instead of outside companies placing centers here, a company based here can contract their services to outside companies. That would be economic development.

Midtowner
01-18-2005, 07:03 AM
The trouble with most call centers is that they (usually) pay such a low wage, that often their employees must be subsidised through government benefits. This translates indirectly into corporate welfare -- and no one likes that.

The trouble with call centers is that working parents, usually in the way of education and skills, really tax the DHS system without paying really anything in. Individuals like that, who consume more tax dollars than they pay in are really draining this state. It's not their fault, but we need high paying jobs to offset these low paying jobs.

Luke
01-18-2005, 09:19 AM

What makes you say that? Anything in particular?

floater
01-18-2005, 09:21 AM
I agree about the wages, and these aren't the kinds of jobs we need more of, but they do represent a medium between minimum wage jobs and higher skilled positions. Customer service is an OKC talent; if that can somehow be parlayed into higher paying jobs, we'd have a good situation.

JOHNINSOKC
01-18-2005, 10:52 AM
If I remember correctly, a couple of months ago, there was speculation about the chamber going after a corporate HQ in the Pacific Northwest. It was speculated that it was Microsoft. Was that just rumor or is there some truth to it? That would be a HUGE step up for this region!!

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-18-2005, 02:25 PM
The problem is that with the construction of the new I 69 down in Texas, I really think the y are just trying to screw us by relinquishing us of our well known trucking industry. We'll have to see after this new highway is built.

We are one of Wal Mart's leading customer bases because we are CHEAP. I think Wal Mart owes us a few corporate jobs for certain. it is our due.

We also have one of the nation's best engineering schools. Both OU, and OSU are bot htop ranked in many technical programs, such as engineering, architecture, geology, meteorology, etc.

floater
01-18-2005, 06:24 PM
The problem is that with the construction of the new I 69 down in Texas, I really think the y are just trying to screw us by relinquishing us of our well known trucking industry. We'll have to see after this new highway is built.

We are one of Wal Mart's leading customer bases because we are CHEAP. I think Wal Mart owes us a few corporate jobs for certain. it is our due.

We also have one of the nation's best engineering schools. Both OU, and OSU are bot htop ranked in many technical programs, such as engineering, architecture, geology, meteorology, etc.

Well, that's no love lost from me for the State of Texas, but we still have the east-west I-40 and the mother road I-44. Having all 3 intersect still counts for something.

I would venture to say that part of Wal-Mart's appeal here is that there is a lack of a local alternative. We don't have a lot of other choices. In other places, there are more local discounters that still challenge its market share.

Yes, we can be proud of our engineering schools. They're great, I wouldn't say they're necessarily the best (except for OU's petroleum engineering department). Meteorology is the star of the OU campus, and its geoscience cousins are excellent. But there remains a disconnect between the students who graduate and local employers. There aren't enough grads to give companies a reason to locate in OK, yet not enough local companies (jobs) that actively recruit to keep grads here. Those that do recruit, from my recollections at OU's career service center, were largely Texas-based. That is a brain drain problem.

Patrick
01-18-2005, 07:47 PM
Wal-Mart has also used OKC as its testing ground for a few years now, so that explains their dominance here. Before Wal-Mart, we used to have a lot of local alternative, i.e., Snyders, Jims Superthrift, Pratts, Buchanans, Hagees, Stones, Whitakers, Griders, etc.....a lot of local grocers, but Wal-Mart forced all of that out. I think Crest is good competition for Wal-Mart, but unfortunately, they haven't expanded to match Wal-Mart's coverage yet!

Patrick
01-18-2005, 07:55 PM
What makes you say that? Anything in particular?

Nothing in particular! Just an increased likelihood with Dell here. We're getting a lot of high tech call centers, Dell, Sprint, and AOL being examples.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-18-2005, 08:46 PM
You don't understand, I 69 connects to Canada, and will almost definately hurt Okalhoma severely, because it follows the Texas coast through Houston and heads to Toronto through Shreveport.

Crest is not the only competition for Wal Mart. Target, Albertsons, Homeland, and Kohls all give the evil retailer a run for it's money.

Patrick
01-18-2005, 08:56 PM
Target is starting to become a real player, although it's probably a little more upscale. Albertsons is in a class (upscale) all by itself. Homeland is a wanna-be Albertson's, charging high prices, but not offering the same shopping environment.

Crest charges extremely low prices comparable to Wal-Mart. It's about the only grocer store with prices that even come close to Wal-Mart.

Aldi has low prices, but no name brands, and definitely not any service.

Kohl's is more comparable to JC Penney.

We need a low cost store that can compete better with Wal-Mart.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-18-2005, 09:28 PM
Aldi? :Smiley112

Patrick
01-18-2005, 09:53 PM
Yeah, you know...Aldi. Go in there sometime. The store kind of sucks, but they really have some pretty cheap prices! Their grocery cart system sure keeps grocery carts out of the parking lot.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-18-2005, 09:56 PM
Yeah... they built one nearby my aunts house in Moore. POC kind of place.

Midtowner
01-18-2005, 09:57 PM
Target is starting to become a real player, although it's probably a little more upscale. Albertsons is in a class (upscale) all by itself. Homeland is a wanna-be Albertson's, charging high prices, but not offering the same shopping environment.

Crest charges extremely low prices comparable to Wal-Mart. It's about the only grocer store with prices that even come close to Wal-Mart.

Aldi has low prices, but no name brands, and definitely not any service.

Kohl's is more comparable to JC Penney.

We need a low cost store that can compete better with Wal-Mart.

I wonder why CostCo hasn't come to Oklahoma yet... Well, I know why. They probably perceive Wal-Mart to be too entrenched. Too bad.. I wouldn't mind seeing them use the Walgreen's Strategy and just locate accross the street from Wal-Marts.

I really like CostCo because they actually pay their associates extremely well (maybe too much) and provide benefits. They cite an internal study where they decided it was better to have steady productive employees than high turnover and substandard employees.

I think they'd do well here.

Patrick
01-18-2005, 09:59 PM
I wonder why CostCo hasn't come to Oklahoma yet... Well, I know why. They probably perceive Wal-Mart to be too entrenched. Too bad.. I wouldn't mind seeing them use the Walgreen's Strategy and just locate accross the street from Wal-Marts.

I really like CostCo because they actually pay their associates extremely well (maybe too much) and provide benefits. They cite an internal study where they decided it was better to have steady productive employees than high turnover and substandard employees.

I think they'd do well here.

:iagree:

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-18-2005, 10:03 PM
We are literally Wal Mart's playground. Gee... isn't that great.

Patrick
01-18-2005, 10:13 PM
Seems like OKC would have a good chance at landing more HQ's of corps that are more service-oriented.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-18-2005, 10:20 PM
Wasn't their a marketing summit that decided OKC was the nation's best market, noting the success of Wal Mart?

floater
01-19-2005, 03:03 PM
Wal-Mart has also used OKC as its testing ground for a few years now, so that explains their dominance here. Before Wal-Mart, we used to have a lot of local alternative, i.e., Snyders, Jims Superthrift, Pratts, Buchanans, Hagees, Stones, Whitakers, Griders, etc.....a lot of local grocers, but Wal-Mart forced all of that out. I think Crest is good competition for Wal-Mart, but unfortunately, they haven't expanded to match Wal-Mart's coverage yet!

Most of those are groceries. I'm talking about discount goods stores that sell a range of dry goods on top of groceries -- like a T G & Y with food. Why can't our stores compete? Is it simply based on price, why Wal-Mart dominates? The entire range of products they sell I think is much of the reason. One-stop shopping. Another question to ask is if OKCers simply prefer chains, based on their quality and predictability of product.

And yes, SR&G, that marketing study is probably what we're basing this discussion on.

Sooner&RiceGrad
01-19-2005, 08:05 PM
Well, does anybody remember that Sunday Oklahoman a few months back with the big crystal ball on it?

Oh, Gaylords, that's right: I remember EVERY edition of your crappy newspaper!