View Full Version : What old business do you remember in OKC?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Prunepicker
09-04-2009, 12:52 PM
They may have, but they came after the Cooper. Big, luxurious entry way
and they had the BIG screen.

I just read, on Doug's blog, that the Continental had a cinerama screen.

Prunepicker
09-04-2009, 12:57 PM
What was the name of the DJ when KOCY went "Underground"?
What was the name of the tape machine at KOCY-FM?
Who was the guitar player in their poster?

Here are the answers to these question.

1. Sam Stone (skyrick got this!)
2. The Monster
3. Joe Pepperdine. He was a local player but I don't remember the band.

I visited the radio station when it first went on the air. I had an uncle who
was the DJ when KOCY was in the Plaza Court.

RealJimbo
09-04-2009, 02:22 PM
Remember KJEM? How about KLPR? KBYE?

skyrick
09-04-2009, 02:49 PM
I just read, on Doug's blog, that the Continental had a cinerama screen.

Technically none of them were true Cinerama, which was a three projector system. The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm and How the West Was Won were the only two big Hollywood releases filmed in three 35mm strips Cinerama. Everything after that called "Cinerama" was either Ultra Panavision 70 or Super Panavision 70; filmed on one 70mm strip and projected with an anamorphic lens.

Sorry for picking nits ; )

Rick

skyrick
09-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Remember KJEM? How about KLPR? KBYE?

How about this: What were KATT-FM's original call letters?

Rick

skyrick
09-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Here are the answers to these question.

1. Sam Stone (skyrick got this!)
2. The Monster
3. Joe Pepperdine. He was a local player but I don't remember the band.

I visited the radio station when it first went on the air. I had an uncle who
was the DJ when KOCY was in the Plaza Court.

Man, what a variety of music they played! From the blues - B.B. King "The Thrill is Gone"; to jazz - Les McAnn & Eddie Harris "Compared to What"; to avant-garde - Jean Michele Jarre; to progressive rock - King Crimson "Moonchild" & Pink Floyd "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict"; to San Francisco jug band music - Grateful Dead "Turn on Your Love Light"; to classic (even then) Dylan "Desolation Row"

What I wouldn't give for a radio station like that today! Actually when we moved down here to the DFW metro area in '88, the local NPR station, KERA-FM, had a program director, Chris Douridas, had a really eclectic taste. I once heard him play Frank Sinatra, followed by Frank Zappa, followed by Lyle Lovett, followed by the Stone Roses, all in a row. pretty cool.

Wait, this is an OKC forum. Forget what I said about Texas radio (and the big beat) :dizzy:

Rick

skyrick
09-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Does anyone remember the amusement park called Dreamland?

Nope, just Springlake, Wedgewood and Frontier City. Where was it?

Rick

bluedogok
09-04-2009, 07:33 PM
This may not fit in this thread, but how about the old Liberty National Bank, specifically the original building it was in that had the "air shaft" in the center of the building with the gigantic spiral fire escape slide that went all the way down from the top. Old skyscrapers had air shafts because they weren't necessarily air conditioned when they were first built and this provided air circulation when the windows were open. Many a young fellow sneaked into the building there at Liberty and slid down the fire escape only to leave part of their skin or seat of their pants on the slide.
That is the CityPlace Tower across from First National and Leadership, I worked there when I moved back from Dallas in 1993. That is a Fire Slide and a legal means of emergency egress, you can't install one now but they are grandfathered in for older buildings...burlap sacks were the answer.

skyrick
09-04-2009, 07:46 PM
ANSWERS!!

QUIZ Name the local businesses that used these lines in their TV commercials:

"We got them fire blazin' prices at ...." (If you don't get this one, you're a yankee)

Yes, Mathis Brothers. I can understand the Jude & Jody answer though. C&W furniture sellers.

"It's HIS sandwich."

The home of the greatest chicken fried steak in the world, Del Rancho! The commercial had a four year old kid swaggering through a set of saloon doors, the whole place goes quiet, he says, "Steak Sandwich Supreme (tm)". The bartender leans over to a customer and whispers, "It's HIS sandwich."

"No Maury, that's my daughter!" (Hint, Maury is Maury Ferguson)

I don't now the exact answer to this one. Maury Ferguson hosted the Dialing For Dollars Afternoon Movie. On of the sponsors was a furniture company. In one commercial the owner was showing off a bedroom group that was for sale. A girl in a nightgown was doing a Vanna White while sitting on the bed. Maury says, "Bob, does the girl come with it?" "No Maury, that's my daughter!"

"Hello folks, torture time again!"

Alan Merrell Chevrolet. He came on mostly during the late show double features/all night movies. We kidded around that he was a Chicago gangster on the lam, Al Morrelli.

(singing) "...since 1892" (If I gave you anymore it would be way too easy)

The most classic OKC commercial of all time. Of course, B.C.Clark

Johnny, tell the folks what they won,

Rick

Prunepicker
09-04-2009, 08:07 PM
Nope, just Springlake, Wedgewood and Frontier City. Where was it?

Rick
It was on S.E. 29th across the street and a little west of the Humane
Society.

papaOU
09-05-2009, 01:20 AM
It was on S.E. 29th across the street and a little west of the Humane
Society.

So that was called Dreamland?

The place with all the little kiddie rides?

Prunepicker
09-05-2009, 08:47 AM
So that was called Dreamland?
The place with all the little kiddie rides?
Yes!

skyrick
09-07-2009, 07:35 PM
How many different businesses can you remember in the Townley Milk Bottle? I've been gone from OKC since '88 and I can remember 3.

I'm pretty sure the Cock O' the Walk is still open at NW 36 & Western. How about Hill's Barber Shop next door? I remember going there about once a month when I was 6 or 7, getting a burr haircut and listening to the Cardinals game on the radio. I was walking there one day in '61 when I decided to cross the street before I got to the light. Next thing I knew I was laying on my back on grass. I sat up and one of my shoes was about 10 feet away. A guy from the gas station on the SW corner (Sinclair?) scooped me up, asked for my home phone # and called an ambulance (no 911 then). He called my mom and told her I'd been run over by a car, she freaked. I was really hit in the butt and thrown into a phone pole by the creek that flowed through Memorial Park. Remember when the creek was open?

On the other side of Western & 36th was my comic book pilgrimage route. I got 25 cents a week allowance (I just noticed there's no "cent" symbol on any of the number keys anymore. When did that happen? What took its place?), and since comic books were 12 cents each then (I barely remember 10 cents) and sales tax was 2%... there you go, or rather there my allowance went. I'd walk north on Western 'til I got to the service station just east of Rexall Drugs (can't remember the name of the owner, Jimmy something). They had an old wringer washer junked out back and I always stopped by and set its timer to the max, 30 minutes. Of course the timer had already expired by the time I went back home. Rexall was the first comic book stop. I'd go through the entire rack and sometimes get a nickel cherry phosphate at the counter. I noticed that grownups could order their cokes or burgers at the counter, get the ticket and pay at the register, but us kids had to go to the register first, pay for the phosphate, get a ticket and then give it to the soda fountain attendant. I guess previous generations had ruined it for us.

Next it was across 36th to TG&Y, though sometimes we would go to the Humpty Dumpty and see if anyone was handing out free samples of hot dogs or something. At TG&Y, after browsing the comics we'd go tap on the goldfish tank and the turtle terrarium, then walk into the greenhouse looking for man-eating plants to buy. Seriously. I don't know how many times we asked if they had any Venus flytraps.

After making my purchases we'd go around the back of Bruno's Furniture to see if they had any chair or sofa boxes we could drag home and use to make a fort.

The old man on the porch in "It's A Wonderful Life" was right. "Youth is wasted on the wrong people."

Rick

skyrick
09-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Looks like I'm the only one still posting on this thread. That's OK, I like talking to myself.

Rothschild's downtown.

Rick

zipper
09-12-2009, 08:03 PM
Looks like I'm the only one still posting on this thread. That's OK, I like talking to myself.

Rothschild's downtown.

Rick

Rothschild Downtown, is that building still there? My mother worked there back in the early 60's.

gen70
09-12-2009, 08:22 PM

Rothschild's downtown.

Rick

That's ok brother...talk on..

skyrick
09-12-2009, 08:43 PM
Rothschild Downtown, is that building still there? My mother worked there back in the early 60's.

Don't know. I started buying my own clothes there when I turned 14 (1968) & got a job. My mom always bought JC Penney's brand clothes for me, so when I had the cash I started buying real Levis, H.I.S., Brooks Bros etc.

Rick

skyrick
09-12-2009, 08:44 PM
That's ok brother...talk on..

Thanks. BOOMER SOONER! Sorry, just finished watching the slaughter of Idaho State on PPV!

Rick

gen70
09-12-2009, 09:28 PM
Thanks. BOOMER SOONER! Sorry, just finished watching the slaughter of Idaho State on PPV!

Rick

Hey...BOOMER SOONER!! I think we can still have a great season. I'll be a SOONER fan until the end.

papaOU
09-12-2009, 11:55 PM

Rick

Why PPV when you can be there????????????????

And don't use the weather as a factor............

skyrick
09-13-2009, 08:04 AM
Why PPV when you can be there????????????????

And don't use the weather as a factor............

Love to have been there, regardless of weather. But i live in Arlington, TX now and, yes, I was at Jerryworld when the Mormons injured Sam.

Rick

grantgeneral78
09-13-2009, 03:27 PM
Love to have been there, regardless of weather. But i live in Arlington, TX now and, yes, I was at Jerryworld when the Mormons injured Sam.

Rick

hahaha the mormons good one.

Generals64
09-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Does anyone (Southside) remember when there was a shoe store just West of the Bank owned by the Farha Brothers and then they began selling fresh cut meats there?....Help me out on this one I read this in an old capitol Hill Beacon.
Also, the store on the Southwest Corner of 25th/Harvey was a cash and Carry store?...Does that ring a bell????

papaOU
09-13-2009, 09:52 PM
Does anyone (Southside) remember when there was a shoe store just West of the Bank owned by the Farha Brothers and then they began selling fresh cut meats there?....Help me out on this one I read this in an old capitol Hill Beacon.
Also, the store on the Southwest Corner of 25th/Harvey was a cash and Carry store?...Does that ring a bell????

Don't know about the "meat" store but the location at 25th and Harvey, S.W. corner was a Sears store.

Generals64
09-14-2009, 08:36 AM
Don't know about the "meat" store but the location at 25th and Harvey, S.W. corner was a Sears store.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah, I used to have a variety store in that location...It was a pretty good store. Just can't speak enough Spanish...Not being ugly....

papaOU
09-15-2009, 12:15 AM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah, I used to have a variety store in that location...It was a pretty good store. Just can't speak enough Spanish...Not being ugly....

But you were born ugly...............

Generals64
09-15-2009, 06:37 PM
We've all talked about OTASCO but how about Western Auto??? any memories there??? There was a Western Auto in the Mayridge shopping Center...Sammy Gilmore.....Now there was a smart feller....about car stuff and such..I think ...Man, I was 15 when I got my first car....he could have sold me 15 inch tires for 16 inch wheels.....wait a minute he did do that....how about village Idiot..?

papaOU
09-15-2009, 07:41 PM
We've all talked about OTASCO but how about Western Auto??? any memories there??? There was a Western Auto in the Mayridge shopping Center...Sammy Gilmore.....Now there was a smart feller....about car stuff and such..I think ...Man, I was 15 when I got my first car....he could have sold me 15 inch tires for 16 inch wheels.....wait a minute he did do that....how about village Idiot..?

But there are still Western Autos in many smaller towns. Schnider Truck Lines drops the bulk off in OKC (used to be Turnpike Transit, an ltl carrier). Items are seperated and pickedup by other ltl lines for delivery.

For those that don't know ltl means less than a load.

Prunepicker
09-16-2009, 11:06 AM
We've all talked about OTASCO but how about Western Auto? any
memories there? There was a Western Auto in the Mayridge shopping
Center...
Their Sizzlin' Summer Sale! Aren't there Western Autos in some small towns?

grantgeneral78
09-19-2009, 04:36 AM
Their Sizzlin' Summer Sale! Aren't there Western Autos in some small towns?

I have not seen one in years.

DaveC2509
09-19-2009, 06:29 AM
If this is a repeat I'm sorry, but I didn't see any mention of Spanky McFarlands Pizza place. It was on N.May ave. about 40th or 41st st. I remember meeting Spanky.

papaOU
09-19-2009, 09:48 PM
Western Auto Associate Store - Checotah, Oklahoma (OK)
Western Auto Assoc Store - Mannford, Oklahoma
Western Auto Associates Store, Laverne

Sears to convert Western Auto | Discount Store News | Find ...Over the next 15 months
Sears will convert almost all of its Western Auto stores to its new Parts America parts-only chain. ...

I think these small town stores carry very little stock and operate as a catalogue center like Sears has done in the small places.

OSCN Found Document:WESTERN AUTO SUPPLY CO. v. OKLAHOMA TAX COM'NAction by Western Auto Supply Company, against the Oklahoma Tax .... through its own Oklahoma stores, of said company's wholesale sales to associate stores, ...
OCIS Report (http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/deliverdocument.asp?)... - Cached - Similar

papaOU
09-22-2009, 09:29 PM
It has been 40 plus years ago................

Der Wiener schnitzel.............

Tastee Freez

There was another place that was on 29th and Penn and about 33rd and S. Robinson
Mr. Swiss?

skyrick
09-22-2009, 10:21 PM
It has been 40 plus years ago................

Der Wiener schnitzel.............

Not many Northsiders here ; )

Circa 1969 Der Wienerschnitzel also at NW32 & Classen (Approx)
5 years before that at the same location was the Sugar Shack.

Anyone remember Dairy Boy? There was one by Northeast HS when I was a (bussed) Viking. I think it was a minor local chain along the lines of DQ. 2 footlongs, fries and a drink for $1.

Rick

papaOU
09-22-2009, 10:53 PM

Anyone remember Dairy Boy? There was one by Northeast HS when I was a (bussed) Viking. I think it was a minor local chain along the lines of DQ. 2 footlongs, fries and a drink for $1.

Rick

I remember Dairy boy well....

My early years we lived in Harrah and that was the only ice cream burger joint in town.

I remember the footlong hotdog wrapper had like a ruler on the outside I guess to show you it was 12 inches. Don't anyone who took issue with it.

They also served Ice Milk. Never tried it.

Prunepicker
09-22-2009, 11:34 PM
If this is a repeat I'm sorry, but I didn't see any mention of Spanky
McFarlands Pizza place. It was on N.May ave. about 40th or 41st st. I
remember meeting Spanky.
He was a relative of ours. His place became the Draught Board.

DaveC2509
09-23-2009, 02:00 AM
That's the place.I had forgot that. Speaking of bars, I saw a picture of the Cock of the Walk on Western Got my first under age beer there.

Redskins/General
09-23-2009, 09:00 AM
But there are still Western Autos in many smaller towns. Schnider Truck Lines drops the bulk off in OKC (used to be Turnpike Transit, an ltl carrier). Items are seperated and pickedup by other ltl lines for delivery.

For those that don't know ltl means less than a load.
Next your going to be telling me that OS&D stands for Overages, shortages and damages and that a Pro# was the number on a freight Bill......D/H couldn't mean dead head or something like a Free Astray!! Surely you didn't work for Turnpike did you? LOL

papaOU
09-23-2009, 05:42 PM
Next your going to be telling me that OS&D stands for Overages, shortages and damages and that a Pro# was the number on a freight Bill......D/H couldn't mean dead head or something like a Free Astray!! Surely you didn't work for Turnpike did you? LOL

Yes I did. You? Maybe another carrier that picked up interline? :kicking:

papaOU
09-23-2009, 05:44 PM

That was the way it was supposed to work :LolLolLol

RealJimbo
09-24-2009, 01:47 PM
OK, all you golden oldies! How about Mistletoe Express?

I do remember Dairy Boy. I'm an old John Marshall Bear ('66) and there was one on NW 89th street just west of N. Western, by the railroad tracks. I ate lunch there at least twice a week from 7th through 12th grades. Marshall was junior and senior high back then. I'd get a "burger basket" for $.50 with a coke. I could get a pack of cigs out of the cig machine there and smoke half of it on the way back to school. There was another Dairy Boy (Simmons') on N. Western at about NW 76th near where the Nichols Hills water tower and vehicle maintenance garage are located.

How about the Rocket Skating Rink? Pappy's Pool Hall? Stockyards Collesium?(sp?) The "sand pits" where we went swimming for free near NW 50th and Meridian? How about the old lovers' lanes? Places you took your sweetie to get her to move closer? Scary places? North side had the old Branif Mansion site where legend said there was an old care taker who kept watch over the place where it burned down. There was (is) an old sandstone mansion by one of the Wildwood Hills additions that looks like an old castle in the dark, with the moon shining down on a turret. Speaking of moonshine (how about that for a seque?)...there was a moonshiner/bootlegger who had a place up on N. Broadway almost in Edmond. Any time he had the porch light on, he was open for business.

Well, I'd better get back to work. I'd like to think I earn at least half of my paycheck.

papaOU
09-24-2009, 02:30 PM
There were also sandpits that we swam in just west of what is I40 now and east of meridian. Today that would be too long to walk from the Hill. We never even thought about it. Just headed west and took off.

skyrick
09-24-2009, 09:09 PM
(snip)
There was (is) an old sandstone mansion by one of the Wildwood Hills additions that looks like an old castle in the dark, with the moon shining down on a turret. .

Mistletoe Express , cigarette ads on their sides, I think they were owned by the Gaylord family.

I think the castle in Wildwood was former OK County DA Curtis P.Harris' place. His backyard was across the street from the Alvarado family. Old man Luis Alvarado and his brothers started El Charrito. You know any of the Wildwood teens from circa '70-'73? Pollock, Minton, Blackshaw?

Rick

papaOU
09-24-2009, 09:32 PM
Cherry's (don't remember if they spelled it this way or not) Transfer and Storage.

What was the name of the root beer stand at 10th and Broadway (n.e. corner)? The building looked like a very large root beer barrel. Later it became a used car lot and now has a convenience store-gas station located there.

LeethalDose
09-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Anyone near the intersection of South St. & Bellflower Blvd. in Lakewood, CA? you can bite a dog at the Der Wienerschnitzel! Same old funky A-frame design building...

Prunepicker
09-24-2009, 11:06 PM
Are you referring to the trucking company Gaylord started in order to get the
Daily Oklahoman and the Times newspapers to Dallas, TX?

DaveC2509
09-25-2009, 01:55 AM
I remember Mistletoe Express.
I jumped off the cliff at the sand pits across from Putnam City HS
and a real oldie for you is that my first experience with Mexican food was at the Alamo/Almo (can't remember for sure) Plaza. Had to have been the 50's.

USG '60
09-25-2009, 06:15 AM
cherry's (don't remember if they spelled it this way or not) transfer and storage.

What was the name of the root beer stand at 10th and broadway (n.e. Corner)? The building looked like a very large root beer barrel. Later it became a used car lot and now has a convenience store-gas station located there.

(triple) AAA

Redskins/General
09-25-2009, 09:18 AM
Yes I did. You? Maybe another carrier that picked up interline? :kicking:
I see Judy from the office occasionally and her daughter and son in law, Mike I believe is his name. I knew Jess Cook the owner, his daughter Debbie and son in law Chris Smith. I owned and operated a truck line in OKC and Dallas etc.for many many years, glad to have sold out!! I'm sure we know tons of the same people...

RealJimbo
09-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Are you referring to the trucking company Gaylord started in order to get the
Daily Oklahoman and the Times newspapers to Dallas, TX?

That's exactly what I was talking about. My uncle drove for them for many years. It wasn't just to get the Gaylord papers to Dallas, either. They delivered all over the state overnight in order to have the papers ready for distribution. My uncle was an outdoorsman and drove the night route. He occasionally hit a deer while in the SE Oklahoma hills and would take them by a ranger station to do whatever was necessary to keep it and take it home. My aunt was an excellent cook including wild game and cooked a lot of venison over the years.

Also, Mistletoe had the state franchise before deregulation that kept UPS and others out of Oklahoma for many years. You could ship via UPS out of the the state or receive by UPS from outside of the state but from point to point inside of the state, it was either the Postal Service or Mistletoe.

papaOU
09-25-2009, 01:04 PM
That's exactly what I was talking about. My uncle drove for them for many years. It wasn't just to get the Gaylord papers to Dallas, either. They delivered all over the state overnight in order to have the papers ready for distribution. My uncle was an outdoorsman and drove the night route. He occasionally hit a deer while in the SE Oklahoma hills and would take them by a ranger station to do whatever was necessary to keep it and take it home. My aunt was an excellent cook including wild game and cooked a lot of venison over the years.

Also, Mistletoe had the state franchise before deregulation that kept UPS and others out of Oklahoma for many years. You could ship via UPS out of the the state or receive by UPS from outside of the state but from point to point inside of the state, it was either the Postal Service or Mistletoe.

People are not aware that deregulation has killed the trucking industry. And the powers that be knew it would.

Prunepicker
09-25-2009, 01:26 PM
(triple) AAA

Ditto! A great place!

Prunepicker
09-25-2009, 01:27 PM
That's exactly what I was talking about. My uncle drove for them for many
years. It wasn't just to get the Gaylord papers to Dallas, either. They
delivered all over the state overnight in order to have the papers ready for
distribution.
That's right!

Redskins/General
09-26-2009, 06:50 PM

Rick
My Dad owned 3 Dairy boys when I was in grade school in the late fifties. Dairy Boy was started by Hansen Atlee Dairy which was located at about 17th and south penn. My Dad had one at 36th and N. Walker, about 71st and north Western and one in McCloud, Ok. Last year I noticed they opened up a real nice Dairy Boy office type complex in Norman on Lindsay St, it went away quick, don't know what the deal was....

skyrick
09-26-2009, 09:34 PM
My Dad owned 3 Dairy boys when I was in grade school in the late fifties. Dairy Boy was started by Hansen Atlee Dairy which was located at about 17th and south penn. My Dad had one at 36th and N. Walker, about 71st and north Western and one in McCloud, Ok. Last year I noticed they opened up a real nice Dairy Boy office type complex in Norman on Lindsay St, it went away quick, don't know what the deal was....

I remember the one at NW 36th & Walker. Next door to McMahan's Hamburgers? Maybe McMahan's was at Shartel, come to think of it.

Rick

Prunepicker
09-27-2009, 04:28 PM
I remember the one at NW 36th & Walker. Next door to McMahan's
Hamburgers? Maybe McMahan's was at Shartel, come to think of it.
I believe McMahan's Burgers was between N. Walker and N. Shartel on the
north side of the street. He grew up with my Dad.

skyrick
09-27-2009, 08:44 PM
I believe McMahan's Burgers was between N. Walker and N. Shartel on the
north side of the street. He grew up with my Dad.

That's the place. Best footlongs in OKC!

Rick

Prunepicker
09-27-2009, 09:26 PM
That's the place. Best footlongs in OKC!
It was a good drive-in. Bob ended up in financial straights in the late 70's
and never recovered. Haven't seen him since @ 1990. If he's still alive he's
in his mid 80's.

Generals64
09-30-2009, 02:37 PM
Here's one that hasn't been Mentioned:..Masterbilt Motors...Masterbilt Motors...Masterbilt Motors...I hated that commercial.

Prunepicker
09-30-2009, 03:04 PM
Here's one that hasn't been Mentioned... Masterbilt Motors... Masterbilt
Motors... Masterbilt Motors... I hated that commercial.
That was the beginning of what is now my 24th year stretch of not watching
or listening to commercials of any kind. I plan on going the rest of my life
without ever watching or hearing another. It drives my family and friends
nutz.