View Full Version : What old business do you remember in OKC?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Redskin 70
08-19-2009, 01:42 PM
Kimberlings IGA at 63d and North Portland.
That was my first out of school job.
I remember fondly Gibsons department sotre on 29th at Bryant
The spot drivein on Western was a favorite Capital Hill hang out
Dont forget Browns in Capital Hill and Katts drug store.

Prunepicker
08-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Rahill's was on the SouthWest corner of 29th & SOUTH May.
Was Rahill's a shoe repair shop?

USG '60
08-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Was Rahill's a shoe repair shop?The one in Mayfair was. Ralph Rahill. Later moved to 23rd and May. His space there has been empty since he died a few years ago.

papaOU
08-19-2009, 09:54 PM
The one in Mayfair was. Ralph Rahill. Later moved to 23rd and May. His space there has been empty since he died a few years ago.

Was it a shoe repair shop?

Prunepicker
08-19-2009, 10:15 PM
The one in Mayfair was. Ralph Rahill. Later moved to 23rd and May. His space
there has been empty since he died a few years ago.
But what was Rahill's on S.W. 29th and S. May?

Generals64
08-20-2009, 05:54 AM
But what was Rahill's on S.W. 29th and S. May?

Rahill's was originally a small grocery store. Little Jim's re-occupied the building for a while. They used the offices for their general Offices. Little Jim Pice ran that group of stores for some time.

USG '60
08-20-2009, 11:58 AM
Was it a shoe repair shop?My quote in your post says, "The one in Mayfair was."

USG '60
08-20-2009, 12:00 PM
But what was Rahill's on S.W. 29th and S. May?Opps, '64 just answered this.

Generals64
08-20-2009, 08:26 PM
Anyone remember Tener's Hat shop????? or even where it was located????What else did they sell in there?????

papaOU
08-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Anyone remember Tener's Hat shop????? or even where it was located????What else did they sell in there?????

Was located in Packin' Town east side of Agnew and South of Exhange. Hats, belts and boots is all I remember. After I turned 12 I quit dressing in the wrong century attire.

Generals64
08-21-2009, 12:59 PM
Was located in Packin' Town east side of Agnew and South of Exhange. Hats, belts and boots is all I remember. After I turned 12 I quit dressing in the wrong century attire.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
O.K., you won the contest. But, he sold many pairs of Leather Gloves.....All the Stockyard cowboy's bought their work gloves there....

Generals64
08-29-2009, 12:21 PM
Yes on the big value:...you know, I wonder what would really happen if the old time retailer's stepped back up to the plate and started competing with the
Wal-Mart's of the world????Look at Crest foods...They are kicking Wal-Mart's back side....Saying nothing (like the old days) just taking care of business and their customers. The one in Moore is ALWAYS busy.....The Wal-Mart neighborhood market can't keep the self-service Registers running and they might have 2 lanes opened.....Sam Walton has probably spun a hole through his casket by now....His main philosopy was to take care of the customer.....Hmmm..Jim Price Same thing...Foy Price:...Same thing...Snyder's:...same thing...Crest Food:....same thing...Make you wonder???
R A Young (TG&Y):....Same thing....

papaOU
08-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Yes on the big value:...you know, I wonder what would really happen if the old time retailer's stepped back up to the plate and started competing with the
Wal-Mart's of the world????Look at Crest foods...They are kicking Wal-Mart's back side....Saying nothing (like the old days) just taking care of business and their customers. The one in Moore is ALWAYS busy.....The Wal-Mart neighborhood market can't keep the self-service Registers running and they might have 2 lanes opened.....Sam Walton has probably spun a hole through his casket by now....His main philosopy was to take care of the customer.....Hmmm..Jim Price Same thing...Foy Price:...Same thing...Snyder's:...same thing...Crest Food:....same thing...Make you wonder???
R A Young (TG&Y):....Same thing....

My gripe is that most people don't give a hoot about customer service. That goes for both sides, customer and provider. People may complain about the long line because as you said there are only two cashiers open. But then that same customer will return time and time again to face the same frustration. At Walmart, about 2:00am or after, this is a woman shopping with her two preschoolers in tow and a kid on the hip. In the basket is a box of tampons and a 50lb bag of dog food. As she is on one row getting Doritos, salsa and bean dip, her two kids are knocking jars of jelly and jams unto the floor in order to have a finger or two full of the stuff for a late night treat.
Question:
Why are kids up this late;
2 preschoolers and one on the hip-hope she got her tubes tied after that
last one. Probably not.
Broken glass. All it would take is one piece of jelly covered broken glass,
then the mother, walmart and the rest of the world would have one less
problem to deal with.

Generals64
08-29-2009, 02:40 PM
My gripe is that most people don't give a hoot about customer service. That goes for both sides, customer and provider. People may complain about the long line because as you said there are only two cashiers open. But then that same customer will return time and time again to face the same frustration. At Walmart, about 2:00am or after, this is a woman shopping with her two preschoolers in tow and a kid on the hip. In the basket is a box of tampons and a 50lb bag of dog food. As she is on one row getting Doritos, salsa and bean dip, her two kids are knocking jars of jelly and jams unto the floor in order to have a finger or two full of the stuff for a late night treat.
Question:
Why are kids up this late;
2 preschoolers and one on the hip-hope she got her tubes tied after that
last one. Probably not.
Broken glass. All it would take is one piece of jelly covered broken glass,
then the mother, walmart and the rest of the world would have one less
problem to deal with.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah, sounds like the dog got to eat before the kids....Pretty soon, there will be welfare for your pets.....You can already get some dog foods at the animal shelters.....

Prunepicker
08-29-2009, 11:48 PM
Yes on the big value... you know, I wonder what would really happen if the
old time retailer's stepped back up to the plate and started competing with
the Wal-Mart's of the world? Look at Crest foods... They are kicking
Wal-Mart's back side... Saying nothing (like the old days) just taking care
of business and their customers. The one in Moore is ALWAYS busy... The
Wal-Mart neighborhood market can't keep the self-service Registers running
and they might have 2 lanes opened... Sam Walton has probably spun a
hole through his casket by now... His main philosopy was to take care of
the customer... Hmmm... Jim Price Same thing... Foy Price... Same thing...
Snyder's... same thing... Crest Food... same thing... Make you wonder?
R A Young (TG&Y). ..Same thing...

Prunette and I very rarely go to Wal-Mart. We've found that it costs us
too much money. If we need hardware we go to a hardware store (not
Home Depot or Lowe's), to a grocery store for food, a clothing store for
clothes, etc... You get the picture. This puts an end to the "while we're
here let's go over to the __________ dept." shopping which which keeps
money in the bank. Yes, me may pay more per item, but our
spontaneous shopping is almost non existent.

Generals64
08-30-2009, 01:27 PM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good Idea.....Not against Wal-Mart but I have been in Retail ALL of my life...Since 1958.....I can't believe the way the customer gets treated anymore....

phinzup
08-30-2009, 02:12 PM
Rahill's was originally a small grocery store. Little Jim's re-occupied the building for a while. They used the offices for their general Offices. Little Jim Pice ran that group of stores for some time.

I cut meat at the Jim's IGA on 44th & S. May, back in the day. Also worked at the one on 74th and Penn after they opened it up.

Anyone remember "Black Hawk Park?"

Generals64
08-30-2009, 02:34 PM
I cut meat at the Jim's IGA on 44th & S. May, back in the day. Also worked at the one on 74th and Penn after they opened it up.

Anyone remember "Black Hawk Park?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes on the park...you might be older than I...Knew Jim very well and was at the TG&Y on 74/Penn when it opened.....You didn't use any of that Dynamite on the meat did you?????

gen70
08-30-2009, 05:20 PM
Where was "Black Hawk Park"?

papaOU
08-31-2009, 12:13 AM

Have recently viewed commercials on teewee that Walmart is cashing checks. I know earlier this year that they checked into creating banks at Walmart but were denied doing so. How many people in this country would sign up at work for direct deposit at Walmart?

skyrick
08-31-2009, 05:59 PM
Kagy's Grocery across from John Carroll Catholic School
June & Jim's down the street.
Record's Inc
Wilcox Records
The Electric Chair - clothing and accessories on Paseo 1970-71
The White Light and The Yellow Submarine - Paseo
The Psychedeli - hamburgers on Paseo
some kind of seltzer water supply on Paseo before it became The Street
Carnation Ice Cream at NW 23 & Western
Georges Bar-B-Q #s 1,2, and 3
The Pink Kitchen - on Kelley
Oklahoma Testing Laboratories

Rick

Prunepicker
09-01-2009, 01:56 PM
Record's Inc
Wilcox Records
Rick
Those are some good ones. I remember Record's Inc, Wilcox and the
Yellow Submarine. The Wilcox's were always glad to see me. I spent all of
my money there, until this thing called rent happened.

papaOU
09-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Record's Inc
Wilcox Records

Rick

You left out Mothers Rock Shop and the People's Workshop.

USG '60
09-01-2009, 02:11 PM
You left out Mothers Rock Shop and the People's Workshop.Speaking of Mother's, does anyone know if Scott Foster is still with us?

And where WAS Black Hawk Park? Kinda seems like it was in Tulsa and not here. I give up. Where was it?

skyrick
09-01-2009, 07:49 PM
You left out Mothers Rock Shop and the People's Workshop.

Mother's, as well as the Abextra, had already been mentioned several times. I tried to not do any duplicates.
Re: memories of some of those mentioned.

Kagy's Grocery. The place must have been from the 19teens. It was ramshackle in '63. Grandma didn't like us buying stuff in there because Mrs. Kagy let her cats lay all over the counters.

June & Jim's. My mom would call them and tell them her son was coming down to buy her some Winstons. Try that today!

Records Inc. Bold enough to sell "Two Virgins" by John and Yoko WITHOUT a brown paper wrapper! In 1968! In OKC!

Wilcox Records. Nobody knew more about ALL music than Mrs Wilcox (I assume that was her). One time she asked me if I had heard the new Led Zep album (ZOSO) yet. I hadn't so she handed me a copy and told me to go into one of the listening booths and listen to all of side 1. I did and bought it right then and there.

The Electric Chair. I bought a pair of corduroy bell-bottoms with a very LSD-like pattern there. My mom got a kick out of telling her friends the name of the store I shopped at.

The White Light. The first incarnation of a non-alcohol live music club at that location. My Uncle Don ran it.
The Yellow Submarine. Opened after Uncle Don lost his lease (and later his freedom). Went there every weekend to see bands like Lincoln Harvey Market and Marble Phrogg.

The Psychedeli. Right across the street from the Yellow Sub. Great cheeseburgers. Give your records you just bought at Mother's to Stoney and he would stash them behind the counter while you roamed The Street.

The seltzer water supply co. I was a busboy at El Charrito on Paseo 1968-69, and walked by this place every day. I thought it looked really old fashioned. I think this became the Psychedeli.

Carnation Ice Cream. I had a paper route (Oklahoma Journal) in 1964-66. Every Saturday I'd take a dollar and a couple of quarters and go see a double feature and a cheesy serial at the Mayflower, gorge myself on candy from the concession stand, and still have enough left over to stop for an ice cream at Carnation.

George's Bar-B-Q. I think the original George's was at NE 63rd and Kelley. I went to HS at NEHS and that's where I learned about real BBQ. Not sure where # 2 was, but #3 opened just east of NW 23rd and Western. It later became a Hemi's Pizza.

Pink Kitchen. Another place I found while going to NEHS. A couple of us used to go in there for the pork chops. We really stood out in there, and not for the length of our hair, but nobody ever gave us any grief.

Oklahoma Testing Laboratories. On Klein, just outside of downtown. My dad worked at the Tulsa office and after the divorce we moved to OKC and my mom went to work at this office. Thank you for everything Mr. Art Lashbrook!

Rick

USG '60
09-02-2009, 09:27 AM
Mother's, as well as the Abextra, had already been mentioned several times. I tried to not do any duplicates.
Re: memories of some of those mentioned.

Kagy's Grocery. The place must have been from the 19teens. It was ramshackle in '63. Grandma didn't like us buying stuff in there because Mrs. Kagy let her cats lay all over the counters.

June & Jim's. My mom would call them and tell them her son was coming down to buy her some Winstons. Try that today!

Records Inc. Bold enough to sell "Two Virgins" by John and Yoko WITHOUT a brown paper wrapper! In 1968! In OKC!

Wilcox Records. Nobody knew more about ALL music than Mrs Wilcox (I assume that was her). One time she asked me if I had heard the new Led Zep album (ZOSO) yet. I hadn't so she handed me a copy and told me to go into one of the listening booths and listen to all of side 1. I did and bought it right then and there.

The Electric Chair. I bought a pair of corduroy bell-bottoms with a very LSD-like pattern there. My mom got a kick out of telling her friends the name of the store I shopped at.

The White Light. The first incarnation of a non-alcohol live music club at that location. My Uncle Don ran it.
The Yellow Submarine. Opened after Uncle Don lost his lease (and later his freedom). Went there every weekend to see bands like Lincoln Harvey Market and Marble Phrogg.

The Psychedeli. Right across the street from the Yellow Sub. Great cheeseburgers. Give your records you just bought at Mother's to Stoney and he would stash them behind the counter while you roamed The Street.

The seltzer water supply co. I was a busboy at El Charrito on Paseo 1968-69, and walked by this place every day. I thought it looked really old fashioned. I think this became the Psychedeli.

Carnation Ice Cream. I had a paper route (Oklahoma Journal) in 1964-66. Every Saturday I'd take a dollar and a couple of quarters and go see a double feature and a cheesy serial at the Mayflower, gorge myself on candy from the concession stand, and still have enough left over to stop for an ice cream at Carnation.

George's Bar-B-Q. I think the original George's was at NE 63rd and Kelley. I went to HS at NEHS and that's where I learned about real BBQ. Not sure where # 2 was, but #3 opened just east of NW 23rd and Western. It later became a Hemi's Pizza.

Pink Kitchen. Another place I found while going to NEHS. A couple of us used to go in there for the pork chops. We really stood out in there, and not for the length of our hair, but nobody ever gave us any grief.

Oklahoma Testing Laboratories. On Klein, just outside of downtown. My dad worked at the Tulsa office and after the divorce we moved to OKC and my mom went to work at this office. Thank you for everything Mr. Art Lashbrook!

Rick I have tried for years to find out about your "uncle Don." I think I have even asked about him on this board. Is he still around? And speaking of the bands you mentioned, I see the Lienkes often and I saw Hoppy for the first time in decades about a month ago. Do you remember seeing Colors of the Earth at the White Light?

Prunepicker
09-02-2009, 10:18 AM
I see the Lienkes often and I saw Hoppy for the first time in decades about a
month ago.
I remember Tupper, Roger and Tommy, but not Hoppy. Who was Hoppy?

USG '60
09-02-2009, 12:09 PM
I remember Tupper, Roger and Tommy, but not Hoppy. Who was Hoppy?

Hoppy was in Marble Phrogg , the dude with the hook.

Prunepicker
09-02-2009, 02:37 PM
Hoppy was in Marble Phrogg, the dude with the hook.
Oh! I remember him. I thought it was a lost Lienke brother.

RealJimbo
09-02-2009, 03:01 PM

I worked for Little Jim's from about Feb 1968 to Feb 1969. They were really cheap. Jim Price Jr. was a turd and his dad ran the whole company, with Don Tate managing the Little Jim's branch of it. Chuck Harrison was the bean counter back then and now is one of the partners in Mason Harrison and Ratliff, the biggest franchiser of Sonic drive-ins in the world.

I worked in almost all of the stores at one time or another. Long hours, hard work, I was never robbed because I was a lot "badder" back then. Work your rear off all day or night then rack pop bottles for another hour or two. I hated pop bottles because when I was the most tired some goober would back up with a station wagon full of pop bottles to cash in.

I was really glad to get away from convenience stores and go to work for T.G.&Y. Stores Co.

skyrick
09-02-2009, 03:34 PM
I have tried for years to find out about your "uncle Don." I think I have even asked about him on this board. Is he still around? And speaking of the bands you mentioned, I see the Lienkes often and I saw Hoppy for the first time in decades about a month ago. Do you remember seeing Colors of the Earth at the White Light?

My Aunt Patricia divorced him when he went away to MacAlester. Haven't seen him since bout '71. I went to school with Tupper Lienke. Did LHM ever release a record? They did all originals while most bands were doing covers. Hoppy! The only guitarist I ever saw that played with a mechanical hook! I never went to the White Light, the Yellow Sub was my era.

Rick

USG '60
09-03-2009, 07:25 AM
My Aunt Patricia divorced him when he went away to MacAlester. Haven't seen him since bout '71. I went to school with Tupper Lienke. Did LHM ever release a record? They did all originals while most bands were doing covers. Hoppy! The only guitarist I ever saw that played with a mechanical hook! I never went to the White Light, the Yellow Sub was my era.

RickI just HAVE to ask, Rick, what did he go up for? Drug stuff? Wasn't his last name Cherry? Tupper has been back in town twice in the last few months; did you get to see him?

skyrick
09-03-2009, 09:43 AM
I just HAVE to ask, Rick, what did he go up for? Drug stuff? Wasn't his last name Cherry? Tupper has been back in town twice in the last few months; did you get to see him?

What he went upriver for was never discussed around me, but if I were to speculate......

re: Tupper, I had some classes with him but we never hung out and I'm an Okie expatriate in Arlington TX now.

Did you know there's a college football game in Dallas every year they call Texas/OU? I have to correct these poor confused people down here every year; it's called OU/Texas!

Rick

Prunepicker
09-03-2009, 09:53 AM
Did you know there's a college football game in Dallas every year they call
Texas/OU?

Definitely! It's the OU/texas game.

skyrick
09-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Back to the original topic:

Patio Restaurant by the old Classen traffic circle
Food Town Grocery at about NW 46th & Western
A slot car track near Food Town (remember slot cars?)
Humpty Dumpty Grocery (with Gold Bond trading stamps!)

QUIZ Name the local businesses that used these lines in their TV commercials:

"We got them fire blazin' prices at ...." (If you don't get this one, you're a yankee)

"It's HIS sandwich."

"No Maury, that's my daughter!" (Hint, Maury is Maury Ferguson)

"Hello folks, torture time again!"

(singing) "...since 1892" (If I gave you anymore it would be way too easy)

Rick

OKCisOK4me
09-03-2009, 11:24 AM
I'm putting this in this thread because I don't want to start a new thread. Technically this business is an 'old' business because it's been around for a long time but 'new' in the respect that a location closed.

Golden Corral on May Avenue just south of NW 63rd. Why did this location close down? I've been in there once, but drove by often and this place was always packed!

rocket-j-squirrel
09-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Re: Quiz
"Far blazing prices" would that be Jude and Jody of furniture fame?
"Torture time again" I remember the lisping fat dude, but can't remember the name
"Since 1892" "So give the gift you know can't fail, at B.C. Clark's anniversary sale"

Have no recollection of who the guy is with the sandwich.
Also don't remember why Maury was ogling the guy's daughter, but I've been stuck in the desert southwest for 25 years...

USG '60
09-03-2009, 02:39 PM

Patio Restaurant by the old Classen traffic circle
Food Town Grocery at about NW 46th & Western
A slot car track near Food Town (remember slot cars?)
Humpty Dumpty Grocery (with Gold Bond trading stamps!)

QUIZ Name the local businesses that used these lines in their TV commercials:

"We got them fire blazin' prices at ...." (If you don't get this one, you're a yankee)

"It's HIS sandwich."

"No Maury, that's my daughter!" (Hint, Maury is Maury Ferguson)
"Hello folks, torture time again!"

(singing) "...since 1892" (If I gave you anymore it would be way too easy)

RickActually, the fire blazing prices were at Mathis Brothers.

phinzup
09-03-2009, 03:32 PM
Where was "Black Hawk Park"?

Didn't see where any else has answered this.

Black Hawk Park was on NE 23rd St, just west of where I-35 intersects 23rd. On the southwest corner, there are apartments there now. It was similar to Springlake, just not nearly as big.

RealJimbo
09-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Yep, The Patio Restaurant was a favorite of mine, too. Loved a lot of items on the menu like Schnitzel for example or just a good old charcoal burger - cooked over real charcoal. The board they had on the wall with everyone's employment dates was cool. The cook was there for a long, long time.

How about Cherry's Burg-a-teria, Priddy's, The Smoke House, Kaiser's Ice Cream, Big Red Warehouse (who took their place? I know, just want to see who is paying attention) Furniture, what furniture business "plowed 9 to 9 weekdays, 1 to 6 on Sundays"?

How about Lady Classen Cafeteria, O'Mealy's Cafeteria, Hollie's Drive-In (I burned up hundreds of gallons of gas just driving around in circles there), Al & Dub's, Al's Hideaway, The University Cafe (was on the corner of 13th & Kelly and had a back room for "colored people".).

All the old movie theaters have probably been named, but here goes. I loved the Majestic, the Criterion, Will Rogers, Ritz, Midwest, Centre, Mayflower, Tower, Plaza, Villa, Redskin, NW Highway Drive-In, Twi-Lite Garden (sp?), North Penn Twin, Cinema 70.

How about the old watermelon stand on N. Eastern (now MLK) where they iced them down and had big, long tables inside a screened building where you could go eat them?

Carp's Drive-In, Sussy's and Beverly's near NE 23rd and Lincoln. Tommy's Drive-In near NW 50th and Western. Fitzgerald's Place in Britton (newcomers have no idea where Britton is), Corson's Market, Yount's Grocery, Rocket Grocery, Art's Drug Store, Knox-Less Service Station, Ernie's DX, Raines' Kerr McGee, Wardlow's Texaco, Puddin' Lanes IGA, Puddin' Lanes Bowling (with Pappy's Pool Hall inside), Conrad-Marr Drugs, Dennis Donuts, C.R. Anthony department store, Maddox Grocery, Edna's Grocery, The Gridiron Drive-In. The Red Sack Burger Stand. Dairy Boy (Simmons?) on N. Western. The Mule Barn Cafe in Britton. Nakvinda's Cafe in Britton.

Lots more I might remember if I took the time.

Prunepicker
09-03-2009, 06:53 PM

Patio Restaurant by the old Classen traffic circle...

That would be Vernon Eccles Patio Restaurant. The best Ceasar Burger
ever! I took dates there. I'm trying to remember the employees... Virginia
was there forever, maybe since day one.

skyrick
09-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Re: Quiz
"Far blazing prices" would that be Jude and Jody of furniture fame?
"Torture time again" I remember the lisping fat dude, but can't remember the name
"Since 1892" "So give the gift you know can't fail, at B.C. Clark's anniversary sale"

Have no recollection of who the guy is with the sandwich.
Also don't remember why Maury was ogling the guy's daughter, but I've been stuck in the desert southwest for 25 years...

USG60 set you right on the furniture store. You're on the right track with torture time. B.C.Clark was so easy that's all I could put without being stupid obvious ; )

If no one else gets them, the answers will appear tomorrow night (Friday).

Rick

bluedogok
09-03-2009, 08:17 PM
Did you know there's a college football game in Dallas every year they call Texas/OU? I have to correct these poor confused people down here every year; it's called OU/Texas!

Rick

Definitely! It's the OU/texas game.
That's what I try to tell them Whorns down here.....

skyrick
09-03-2009, 08:29 PM
(RealJimbo selectively quoted and replied to)

How about Cherry's Burg-a-teria,

Oh! Forgot that one! Good catch!

Kaiser's Ice Cream,

I can't believe no one mentioned that one yet!

Hollie's Drive-In (I burned up hundreds of gallons of gas just driving around in circles there),

As far as I know, Hollie's (Holly's?) invented the bacon cheeseburger, and they served beer at a drive-in! BTW my cruise was Quik's at NW 32nd & Classen.

All the old movie theaters have probably been named, but here goes. I loved the Majestic, the Criterion, Will Rogers, Ritz, Midwest, Centre, Mayflower, Tower, Plaza, Villa, Redskin, NW Highway Drive-In, Twi-Lite Garden (sp?), North Penn Twin, Cinema 70.

What about the Lakeside on May? Later it was a Sound Warehouse. I practically grew up at the Will Rogers and the Mayflower. What about the Cooper in downtown? The only Cinerama screen in OKC. I remember seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey in its first week there. The seats were only available in advance and you had assigned seating. Or the State? KOCY-FM (106.1 kilohertz under OKC) sponsored a free showing of Woodstock there when it premiered.

Carp's Drive-In, Sussy's and Beverly's near NE 23rd and Lincoln. Tommy's Drive-In near NW 50th and Western. Fitzgerald's Place in Britton (newcomers have no idea where Britton is), Corson's Market, Yount's Grocery, Rocket Grocery, Art's Drug Store, Knox-Less Service Station, Ernie's DX, Raines' Kerr McGee, Wardlow's Texaco, Puddin' Lanes IGA, Puddin' Lanes Bowling (with Pappy's Pool Hall inside), Conrad-Marr Drugs, Dennis Donuts, C.R. Anthony department store, Maddox Grocery, Edna's Grocery, The Gridiron Drive-In. The Red Sack Burger Stand. Dairy Boy (Simmons?) on N. Western. The Mule Barn Cafe in Britton. Nakvinda's Cafe in Britton.

[FONT="Arial Black"]OH!! OH!! Nostalgia overload! I haven't thought of half those places in over 40 years but I remember almost all of them! How about Bus Buser's service station at NW 23rd & either Robinson or Broadway? How about Lum's Sandwiches across from OCU on NW 23rd? Home of the Lumburger!

Lots more I might remember if I took the time.

What? You mean you left something out? I find that hard to believe! ; )

Rick

skyrick
09-03-2009, 08:29 PM
That's what I try to tell them Whorns down here.....

Love it!

Rick

Prunepicker
09-03-2009, 08:39 PM
What about the Cooper in downtown? The only Cinerama screen in OKC.
I remember seeing 2001: A Space Odyssey in its first week there. The
seats were only available in advance and you had assigned seating. Or
the State? KOCY-FM (106.1 kilohertz under OKC) sponsored a free
showing of Woodstock there when it premiered.

What was the name of the DJ when KOCY went "Underground"?
What was the name of the tape machine at KOCY-FM?
Who was the guitar player in their poster?

Didn't the Continental and Westwood have a cinerama screen?

FRISKY
09-03-2009, 09:07 PM
What was the name of the DJ when KOCY went "Underground"?Poison Ivy?

Prunepicker
09-03-2009, 10:16 PM

Poison Ivy?

No. Try again!

skyrick
09-03-2009, 11:02 PM
No. Try again!

Sam Stone.

skyrick
09-03-2009, 11:04 PM

Sam Stone.
Don't know.
Don't know.
Hmmm, the Westwood might have; where was the Continental?

Rick

Prunepicker
09-03-2009, 11:57 PM
Sam Stone.
Don't know.
Don't know.
Hmmm, the Westwood might have; where was the Continental?
Rick

Sam Stone is correct! He was the DJ.

I'm almost certain that the Westwood and Continental had cinerama screens.
The Continental was just west of the Founders Tower on N.W. Expressway.
There was one in Tulsa, to.

I might answer the other questions tomorrow.

rocket-j-squirrel
09-04-2009, 09:21 AM
Please forgive if this has already been mentioned, but I remember going to the Skyline Drive-in theater somewhere east past I-35 on 23rd street (I think). Also, remember Priddy's restaurant, the Pink Kitchen, Blue Ribbon Auto Supply, and a bunch more. Here's one that I'm stumped on...there was an ice cream store on the west side of Lottie before you got to 23rd going north. It started with an S (Sawyers?). The owners lived across the street to the north.

Prunepicker
09-04-2009, 09:47 AM
I remember going to the Skyline Drive-in theater somewhere east past I-35
on 23rd street (I think)...
You're right about the Skyline. I saw Patton and Mash there. Of course
they weren't first run movies.

Also, remember Priddy's restaurant...
Priddy's was on the N.W. corner of N.W. 11th and N. Hudson. Ate many a
lunch there. The chicken salad sandwich was legendary, and don't forget
the pimento spread!

there was an ice cream store on the west side of Lottie before you got to
23rd going north. It started with an S (Sawyers?). The owners lived across
the street to the north...
Would the street be N. Stonewall?

rocket-j-squirrel
09-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Boy do I remember the pimento spread! My Mom used to buy a tub of it to take home.

As for the ice cream store, I stand corrected, it was on Kelly at the sw corner of N.E. 20th street.

gen70
09-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Didn't see where any else has answered this.

Black Hawk Park was on NE 23rd St, just west of where I-35 intersects 23rd. On the southwest corner, there are apartments there now. It was similar to Springlake, just not nearly as big.

Thanks..

Prunepicker
09-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Does anyone remember the amusement park called Dreamland?

OKCisOK4me
09-04-2009, 11:11 AM
I'm putting this in this thread because I don't want to start a new thread. Technically this business is an 'old' business because it's been around for a long time but 'new' in the respect that a location closed.

Golden Corral on May Avenue just south of NW 63rd. Why did this location close down? I've been in there once, but drove by often and this place was always packed!

I love quoting myself when a post I'd like an answer to is skipped over ;-)

RealJimbo
09-04-2009, 11:31 AM

They may have, but they came after the Cooper. Big, luxurious entry way and they had the BIG screen.

RealJimbo
09-04-2009, 12:13 PM
Please forgive if this has already been mentioned, but I remember going to the Skyline Drive-in theater somewhere east past I-35 on 23rd street (I think). Also, remember Priddy's restaurant, the Pink Kitchen, Blue Ribbon Auto Supply, and a bunch more. Here's one that I'm stumped on...there was an ice cream store on the west side of Lottie before you got to 23rd going north. It started with an S (Sawyers?). The owners lived across the street to the north.

Al's Ice Cream. Great place.

RealJimbo
09-04-2009, 12:21 PM
This may not fit in this thread, but how about the old Liberty National Bank, specifically the original building it was in that had the "air shaft" in the center of the building with the gigantic spiral fire escape slide that went all the way down from the top. Old skyscrapers had air shafts because they weren't necessarily air conditioned when they were first built and this provided air circulation when the windows were open. Many a young fellow sneaked into the building there at Liberty and slid down the fire escape only to leave part of their skin or seat of their pants on the slide.