View Full Version : What old business do you remember in OKC?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

MsProudSooner
06-12-2009, 02:39 PM
Someone asked if there were any Dennis Donuts on the north side. I know there was one on NW 10th, somewhere near the fairgrounds because my family & I always made a point to stop there for donuts on our way home when we would visit OKC.

Some business that I didn't see mentioned:

Miss Harolds Shoes on NW 23rd street
Sussy's
Chicken 'n' the Rough
Katheryn Lipe's Clothes
Stoney Stoneman in the shoe department at Rothechilds. They had a flouroscope machine that 'x-rayed' your feet in your shoes to see if the shoes were getting too small!

papaOU
06-12-2009, 09:04 PM
Someone asked if there were any Dennis Donuts on the north side. I know there was one on NW 10th, somewhere near the fairgrounds because my family & I always made a point to stop there for donuts on our way home when we would visit OKC.

Some business that I didn't see mentioned:

Miss Harolds Shoes on NW 23rd street
Sussy's
Chicken 'n' the Rough
Katheryn Lipe's Clothes
Stoney Stoneman in the shoe department at Rothechilds. They had a flouroscope machine that 'x-rayed' your feet in your shoes to see if the shoes were getting too small!

Was the Dennis Donuts east of May.
Beverley's has been mentioned several times and many locations.
There was a Sussy's on N. Lincoln, N.E. 23rd East of the Sky-train drive-in, and S.W.24th and Robinson....

Generals64
06-13-2009, 11:58 AM
How about the Woolworth's and Kress stores on main street OKC. Anyone have any pictures of those stores? We see the Capitol Hill stores but there were stores downtown along with Duke & Ayers......know the name and the store mix but that's about it in OKC...remember the one in Ardmore and Wynnewood...but, that was a long time ago....

papaOU
06-13-2009, 10:00 PM
How about the Woolworth's and Kress stores on main street OKC. Anyone have any pictures of those stores? We see the Capitol Hill stores but there were stores downtown along with Duke & Ayers......know the name and the store mix but that's about it in OKC...remember the one in Ardmore and Wynnewood...but, that was a long time ago....

Excuse me!! Commerce St. IS the main street of okc............

:elmer3: :elmer3: :elmer3: :elmer3: :elmer3: :elmer3:

Oh! I'm sorry!! I forgot!!! Grant has never had a business district to compare with Capitol Hill and OKC

Now take your meds, find your stupid "security" cannon, curl up with and go nite-nite.

papaOU
06-14-2009, 01:16 AM
Hey '64.................

I have an item around here that you need to see........

I'll let you touch it, but can't have it........

unless I have two of them.

Generals64
06-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Hey '64.................

I have an item around here that you need to see........

I'll let you touch it, but can't have it........

unless I have two of them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
HMMMM...I have got you a present from the past for Saturday...A new tube of Brylcreem.....Gotta remember to put it in the old van.....

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
06-17-2009, 02:11 PM
There is a write up in the newspaper about Cattlemen's Steak house . Some rate not so good some say excellent. I just wondered what our southsider group thought or remembered about eating there.

papaOU
06-17-2009, 02:31 PM
There is a write up in the newspaper about Cattlemen's Steak house . Some rate not so good some say excellent. I just wondered what our southsider group thought or remembered about eating there.

That was our family treat after we went to the fair. I still like it but don't go very often.
My first wife and I went there following a New Year's Eve celebration and were sitting in the north side of the place. A man sitting at the counter told the waitress he didn't feel well. Stood up and BAM! Had a heart attack and was dead before he hit the floor.

Yes I do love their salad dressing. Only place I ever found that came close was the "Coffee Shop" at Binion's in Las Vegas.

Even though they no longer have a T-bone I give Cattlemen's a thumbs up.

Talked to a meat salesman a while back and he said that the "public" wants the N.Y. Cut so few companies buy T-bones.

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
06-17-2009, 02:34 PM
Ribeye is probably my favorite. I never cared for T-bones. Haven't been there in a couple of years.

Generals64
06-17-2009, 06:49 PM
Cattlemen's is My Favorite place to eat. The wife, she doesn't like it at all....But, when she was a little girl that was the only place he dad wanted to go to.......

papaOU
06-17-2009, 09:07 PM
Cattlemen's is My Favorite place to eat. The wife, she doesn't like it at all....But, when she was a little girl that was the only place he dad wanted to go to.......

The problem with Cattlemen's was that Gene (think that was his first name) Wade died and his children took over. It was the same with Macklanburg-Duncan, The Fred Jones Family.......................
The kids either run the business in the ground or sell. Either way it's the death of the business.

mireaux
06-17-2009, 09:14 PM
otasco, tg&ys, anthonys, krafts burgers, roy rogers restaurant, soundtrak music, levitz furniture, wilsons, the wonder bread factory in downtown, enterprise square usa in edmond, malibu grand prix, showbiz pizza, shotgun sams pizza, mr. gattis pizza, beachlers iga, shoe wearhouse in del city, taco tico, hardees, eckerd drugs, casa bonita, pratts foods superstore off I-240 and walker?

papaOU
06-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Anybody take notice of the death of George Farha last week? Am I that old? Used to be you couldn't go for more than a couple of days a week and not hear or see the name.

Did he not have a toy store or something of that nature northside?

grantgeneral78
06-18-2009, 05:55 AM
never heard of Farha

Generals64
06-18-2009, 06:33 AM
The problem with Cattlemen's was that Gene (think that was his first name) Wade died and his children took over. It was the same with Macklanburg-Duncan, The Fred Jones Family.......................
The kids either run the business in the ground or sell. Either way it's the death of the business.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Percy died, Gene took over (his son)...he died and then the ultimate happened and then the people that owned Applewoods took over and CLEANED the place up...Still enjoy (not on the menu anymore) the old Pan Fried Steak... They still serve it but you have to ask for it.....Think (I'm Batching this week) I'll fo there today....

Generals64
06-18-2009, 06:35 AM
Anybody take notice of the death of George Farha last week? Am I that old? Used to be you couldn't go for more than a couple of days a week and not hear or see the name.

Did he not have a toy store or something of that nature northside?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Too bad about George...Knew him from TG&Y days....They had a toy&Hobby store but eventually they started just Wholesaling Toys etc. Of course, their biggest customer for years was TG&Y. If we ran out of some sort of item George always had it and it would be delivered before the sun set......

gen70
06-18-2009, 07:22 AM
I went to Cattlemen's for school functions, wedding dinners, late night pit stops and just because. Have many good memories of the place.

gen70
06-18-2009, 07:34 AM
This is a former Norman business but, I wanted to see if anyone from THE CITY remembers Dinko's?

bluedogok
06-18-2009, 07:39 AM
I remember Denco's, home of the Darlin'

USG '60
06-18-2009, 07:39 AM
Wasn't Dinko's where Coach's is now? If so, it is where my father's Drug Store was in the late 40's. My earliest memories are in that location.

gen70
06-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Man I used to love a Darlin' with two looking at ya. Some time in the late 80's it was remodeled and it just was'nt the same...Too Fancy. Wonder what happened to Pat?

gen70
06-18-2009, 08:55 AM
Wasn't Dinko's where Coach's is now? If so, it is where my father's Drug Store was in the late 40's. My earliest memories are in that location. I haven't been to Norman since about 91 but, I google street viewed the location and I think it is Coaches.

papaOU
06-18-2009, 12:24 PM
I haven't been to Norman since about 91 but, I google street viewed the location and I think it is Coaches.

Yes it's Coache's. I don't know if he is still is active in the Norman location but Steve Owens was one of the "founders" and still has a hand in the one at the ball park in Brick Town. He could own it outright on his own.

"I ate my Darlin at Denco's"

Generals64
06-18-2009, 12:59 PM
Yes it's Coache's. I don't know if he is still is active in the Norman location but Steve Owens was one of the "founders" and still has a hand in the one at the ball park in Brick Town. He could own it outright on his own.

"I ate my Darlin at Denco's"

I think Owens was in partnerships with Hal Smith (US Grant '64 Graduate)...But, I'm not for sure about it anymore....I do know Hal has a hand in The Ball Park on e and in Toby Keith's restaurant...

papaOU
06-18-2009, 03:03 PM
I think Owens was in partnerships with Hal Smith (US Grant '64 Graduate)...But, I'm not for sure about it anymore....I do know Hal has a hand in The Ball Park on e and in Toby Keith's restaurant...

Never been to Toby Keith's and don't plan to.

Isn't the larger portion of Coache's, Norman a pool hall. It was, but don't know about now.

grantgeneral78
06-18-2009, 03:34 PM
Never been to Toby Keith's and don't plan to.

Isn't the larger portion of Coache's, Norman a pool hall. It was, but don't know about now.

AMEN brother!!

Stan Silliman
06-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Anyone know of a barber shop that gives straight-razor shaves? That's on my bucket-list.

A guy is getting a manicure while being shaved. He's making a play for the manicurist: "Hey, babe, you're looking fine. What say you and I get a drink after you get off?"

Manicurist: "Why don't you ask my husband? He's shaving you."

Stan Silliman
06-18-2009, 05:33 PM
If I remember correctly, (but Probably not) the Tuilio's was off I-35 on the Main street exit by the mall. It still wasn't as good a the original one on S Robinson

Tulio Ramirez used to come out to Jokers once a week when he lived on the NW side of Okla City. He was a big comedy fan and at the time he worked for the state and ran two restaurants. Then he moved to Norman. He still has a place in Alameda Square (East 12th and Alameda) and if you like tortilla soup he makes the best in the metro.

Stan Silliman
06-18-2009, 05:38 PM
The Victoria Hotel and the Hudson Drive In. The Hudson Drive In was at S.W. 5th and Hudson. It was an old house converted into a beer joint. When it was torn down they put a gas station there. It's on the northwest corner of S.W. 5 and Hudson.

My grandfather owned the "Victoria Hotel". He died 1957. If you know the Victoria then you must remember OK Billiards. It was west of the Victoria facing Reno.

If anyone remembers OK Billards and Trueloves you might remember a pool hustler named "Hitchcock". Tall, skinny, loose jointed and played pool for a living about 1968 to 1971. He was a pool bum, hustler. He believed a job put you in a the wrong frame of mind to play pool.

Stan Silliman
06-18-2009, 05:55 PM
In 1961 I picked up and delivered auto parts for a wholesale auto parts company. I'm betting most of the companies I stopped at are no longer here:

Army Armstrong (Rebuilt Carberators) @ 30th & Classen, Federal Mogul, Champion Auto Parts (on Western), Swick Auto Parts on NE 23rd (Starters & Alternators), United Auto on N. Santa Fe

Boy, my memory is bad. There's a half dozen I can't dredge up.

Stan Silliman
06-18-2009, 06:08 PM
I've been affilated with the construction business since 1967. There's a lot of big construction companies or businesses dealing with contruction no longer around. Dave Skater might remember some of these:

Harmon Construction
Harter Concrete
Robberson Steel
Builder's Construction
Tankersley Construction
JJ Cook Construction
Auxier-Scott Supply
Hoster Steel
Henderson Construction
Thomas Concrete Products
Barton Construction
Tway Construction
Hudgins-Thompson-Ball Architects

Generals64
06-18-2009, 06:24 PM
I've been affilated with the construction business since 1967. There's a lot of big construction companies or businesses dealing with contruction no longer around. Dave Skater might remember some of these:

Harmon Construction
Harter Concrete
Robberson Steel
Builder's Construction
Tankersley Construction
JJ Cook Construction
Auxier-Scott Supply
Hoster Steel
Henderson Construction
Thomas Concrete Products
Barton Construction
Tway Construction
Hudgins-Thompson-Ball Architects

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey, what about Downtown Chevrolet?
RT Scott Chevrolet
Fred Jones Lincoln/Mercury on N.W. 6th st.
Bob Moore Cadillac on the opposite Corner
Jackie Robbins Porsche/Audi
Metro area...Murdock/ Salyer of Norman....
Capitol Hill Music Co.
Sharp and Nichols Music Co.
Larson's (they may still be around)
================================================== ===========
Oh well, too many for this old man.....

Generals64
06-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Do you guys remember the original Sam's Wholesale Co. of OKC???If so, where was it located????? Generals78 and PapaOU should know exactly where it was..

Consolidated Wholesale??????

grantgeneral78
06-18-2009, 06:37 PM
Do you guys remember the original Sam's Wholesale Co. of OKC???If so, where was it located????? Generals78 and PapaOU should know exactly where it was..

Consolidated Wholesale??????

I give up where?

Stan Silliman
06-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Just making the rounds around the OCU neighborhood these businesses who were around during my years at school are no longer:

Bixler's Drive In
Beverly's "Chicken in the Rough"
Broasted Chicken
Sussy's on Lincoln
El Charrito
Quicks (on Classen) 15 cent hamburgers
Adair's Cafeteria (All you eat for $ 1.00) Ralph Adair, himself, used to ring up the cash register ("I'm losing $ 3.50 on this plate; 4.25 on this plate")

Sears at 23rd & Penn

mireaux
06-18-2009, 09:15 PM
is big eds hamburgers still around? those were some big ole burgers

papaOU
06-18-2009, 09:31 PM
If anyone remembers OK Billards and Trueloves you might remember a pool hustler named "Hitchcock". Tall, skinny, loose jointed and played pool for a living about 1968 to 1971. He was a pool bum, hustler. He believed a job put you in a the wrong frame of mind to play pool.

You just might be the person I'm looking for. The OK Billiards you speak of was it on Reno between Robinson and Broadway? I know there is/was an OK Billards on Walker at about S.W. 6 but it was a billiard supply co? My grandfather owned(?) operated the Victoria Hotel and OK Billards. The hotel was on the corner of Reno and Broadway and the pool hall was west of there facing Reno. Sound familiar?

It's hard to believe Trueloves is gone. That was an institution.

grantgeneral78
06-19-2009, 04:30 AM
is big eds hamburgers still around? those were some big ole burgers

There was the one over on MacArthur north of Putnam city High School, I believe it is still open , when big ed died the guy said he was going to carry on with his legacy.

Man that sounds good right now!

Stan Silliman
06-19-2009, 07:32 AM
There was the one over on MacArthur north of Putnam city High School, I believe it is still open , when big ed died the guy said he was going to carry on with his legacy.

Who were the pallbearers at Big Ed's funeral?
They had to be a set of weightlifters.

Stan Silliman
06-19-2009, 07:45 AM
Here's some more businesses from my days at OCU that also no longer exist:

The Celebrity Club
The It'll Do Club
The Onyx (now Union BBQ at 36th & Shartel)
Kotche's Dance Studio
Villa Theatre
NW Highway Drive-In Theatre
Queen Ann Cafeteria (near 60th & May)
Barton Twin Theatres
Wedgewood Park
Springlake Park
The Par 3 Golf Course across from the Downtown Airpark
The Driving Range & Batting Cages at NE 23rd & Eastern (what was the name?)

bluedogok
06-19-2009, 09:28 AM

I don't think that one is open anymore, there is one at NW 122nd & Penn.

oulefty
06-19-2009, 10:59 AM
Chili McDaniels Texaco Station
Humpty Dumpty Grocery
Harth't Food
Grimes Grocery
Empire Room - Pool/Snooker was 2nd floor above Criterion Theater
Central Club - Pool/Snooker was across the street from Jerry's
Jerry's - Pool/Snooker was across the street from Central Club. Both are now parking garage north of Court House.
Carnations Ice Cream

grantgeneral78
06-19-2009, 05:14 PM
I don't think that one is open anymore, there is one at NW 122nd & Penn.

It has been a while since I was up that way, guess I will go to the one on penn then.

oulefty
06-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Someone asked the name of "The Driving Range & Batting Cages at NE 23rd & Eastern" I believe it was Hope's

Generals64
08-16-2009, 07:48 PM
browsing through the "Old Threads" I stumbled back upon this one and things began to rattle through the old brain....Why did they fill in the community pool at Rotary Park?

Remember BS&B?......How many people were put out of work there?

Scrivner Boogart/Stevens....We get a good company going some out of state buys it and bingo our people are without a job....

what other big-time businesses can you remember that used to be here???

How about:.....Lee Way?
Transcon
Western Motor Freight
Del Rancho in Del City
Pistols....Del City

------------------------------------------------------------------

Prunepicker
08-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Does anyone remember the small amusement park on S.E. 29th just west of
the Humane Society and on the south side of the street?

papaOU
08-16-2009, 10:09 PM
Does anyone remember the small amusement park on S.E. 29th just west of
the Humane Society and on the south side of the street?

I do!! Just can't find anyone that knows the.....

All the rides were for little kids..........

Train, ferris wheel...........

I bet the ferris wheel was no more than six feet tall.......

papaOU
08-16-2009, 10:12 PM
....Why did they fill in the community pool at Rotary Park?

They did the same to the two pools at Wiley Post. East of Robinson was a wadding pool which was free.
On the west side was a larger pool that charged admission.

Both were filled years ago..............

grantgeneral78
08-17-2009, 06:10 AM
What was the reason for the Wison plant closing down?..Kinda sad to drive by there and see it falling apart.

rowdy55ok
08-17-2009, 10:07 AM
Rahill's on 29th & S. May
Mean ol' cuss ran it. MR. RAHILL

Generals64
08-17-2009, 03:59 PM
What was the reason for the Wison plant closing down?..Kinda sad to drive by there and see it falling apart.

Health and cleanliness and finances......Bar S foods does basically the same thing and they started new. There used to be an Armour Plant (same thing) and it "Blew" up......think I was in the 7th or 8th grade then.....

Prunepicker
08-18-2009, 08:07 PM
Rahill's on 29th & S. May
Mean ol' cuss ran it. MR. RAHILL

Wasn't that a shoe repair shop?
If so Dad had a shop next door to him in the Mayfair Shopping Center. I think
he still has a repair shop on N.W. 23rd just west of N. May.

Prunepicker
08-18-2009, 08:09 PM
Health and cleanliness and finances... Bar S foods does basically the same
thing and they started new. There used to be an Armour Plant (same thing)
and it "Blew" up... think I was in the 7th or 8th grade then...

Wasn't the Armour Plant next to Wilson's? S.W. 15th and east of S. May?
I think so. Were they one and the same?

Prunepicker
08-18-2009, 08:17 PM
browsing through the "Old Threads" I stumbled back upon this one and things
began to rattle through the old brain... Why did they fill in the community
pool at Rotary Park?
Refresh my memory. Where was Rotary Park?

what other big-time businesses can you remember that used to be here?

How about:
Lee Way?
The old fire station No. 25, on S.W. 59th and S. Miller, was the Lee-Way
museum for a short time. I wish I'd gone before it closed.

papaOU
08-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Did Wilson's demise coincide with the Penn Square Bank fiasco?

Probably not, but things of that nature kind of run together as I get older.

One thing I miss about Wilson's is that my first wife's uncle was some kind of big shot there. Once a month he would bring us several pounds of calf-fries. You had to be somebody out there to get them.

Cattleman's used to serve them but have only had lamb fires now for some time. Used to be a place on Main in Norman that made them their specialty.

bluedogok
08-18-2009, 09:11 PM
Wilson's was later, I think they were eventually bought out by someone.

Refresh my memory. Where was Rotary Park?
SW 15th & Blackwelder
Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&q=rotary+park+oklahoma+city&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&cid=11857709263650597339&li=lmd&ll=35.447928,-97.541342&spn=0.008618,0.01929&z=16&iwloc=A)

rowdy55ok
08-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Wasn't that a shoe repair shop?
If so Dad had a shop next door to him in the Mayfair Shopping Center. I think
he still has a repair shop on N.W. 23rd just west of N. May.

Mayfair is "northside" Across the river. You know, where I only travel when I work.
Rahill's was on the SouthWest corner of 29th & SOUTH May.

On the NE corner of 29 & SOUTH May was 'Atlantic Mills'. Long before Griders....

rowdy55ok
08-19-2009, 12:50 PM
what other big-time businesses can you remember that used to be here???

How about:.....Lee Way?
------------------------------------------------------------------

My Dad Retired from Lee Way in the early 70's while I was still at CHHS.

Generals64
08-19-2009, 12:52 PM
My Dad Retired from Lee Way in the early 70's while I was still at CHHS.

My dad retired from Lee Way in the Late 70's. Still have all the awards he received....

rowdy55ok
08-19-2009, 12:53 PM
My dad retired from Lee Way in the Late 70's. Still have all the awards he received....
Daddy was a diesel mechanic. When he retired, the ladies in the office paid for him to have a manicure. He never had black fingernails for the rest of his life.