View Full Version : What old business do you remember in OKC?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Generals64
05-19-2009, 06:48 AM
I've asked about this place before and gotten no reply Does anyone remember Moore's Little Mexico restaurant E. of I-35 and N. of 19th? It was some good Mex.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I remember it but, it didn't last very long. That would be quite a drive for you for Mexican food. I'm sure there are some good places around Memphis and that way you could afford to eat more. However, if you come back home let me know and I'll take you to the Mexican spot in Moore...

gen70
05-19-2009, 07:16 AM
I remember it but, it didn't last very long. That would be quite a drive for you for Mexican food. I'm sure there are some good places around Memphis and that way you could afford to eat more. However, if you come back home let me know and I'll take you to the Mexican spot in Moore...

Where did you come up with Memphis? I don't even like to drive thru Memphis. Now what is the name of the Mexican spot you speak of back home?

Generals64
05-19-2009, 08:42 PM
Where did you come up with Memphis? I don't even like to drive thru Memphis. Now what is the name of the Mexican spot you speak of back home?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
well, i was going to recommend Maria's in Moore but the NEW Ricky's Restaurant out did itself. Also, The new Alfredo's is coming on strong....So, I guess we'll have to try them both...Huh????

Prunepicker
05-19-2009, 09:57 PM
If you want good Mexican food go to Los Amigos on about 40th and
N. MacArthur. It's very good. Make that GREAT! Tex-Mex rules
and authentic drools.

Prunette and I like Nino's on NW Expressway twix Mac and
Rock. When they're on there isn't a Tex-Mex that can touch it.

Ted's Escondido is fair. I'm not a big fan of Ted's. Make that sort of fair.

Authentic Mexican stinks. I want the cheese and the chili!

I hope I wasn't wishy-washy. I like to be direct.

papaOU
05-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Still would pay plenty to have another meal at El Charritos.

gen70
05-20-2009, 04:09 AM
All the Mex joints y'all mentioned (except Nino's which I like and El Charritos which rules) are knew to me because I haven't been to the center of the universe (OKC) in about 15 years. When I make it back (And I will) I'all have to check em all out and make some of the monthly meetings.

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
05-20-2009, 07:21 AM
LaLuna's on Walker and Reno is to bad. My favorite was Tullio's on 33 and South Robinson but they are no longer there.

Charlie40
05-20-2009, 07:41 AM
LaLuna's on Walker and Reno is to bad. My favorite was Tullio's on 33 and South Robinson but they are no longer there.

I believe there is a Tullio's in Norman

Generals64
05-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Tulio himself is still around and i saw a place just here recently that said Tulio's....Let me think and figure it out...

papaOU
05-20-2009, 09:23 PM
Tulio himself is still around and i saw a place just here recently that said Tulio's....Let me think and figure it out...

And if he can't figure it out, like all General's he'll make something up.

But I have a suprise for him.......

Anything you can do,
I can do better.
I can do anything
Better than you.

No, you can't.
Yes, I can. No, you can't.
Yes, I can,
Yes, I can!

Anything you can be
I can be greater.
Sooner or later,
I'm greater than you.

:tiphat:

Generals64
05-21-2009, 11:41 AM
And if he can't figure it out, like all General's he'll make something up.

But I have a suprise for him.......

Anything you can do,
I can do better.
I can do anything
Better than you.

No, you can't.
Yes, I can,
Yes, I can!

Anything you can be
I can be greater.
Sooner or later,
I'm greater than you.

:tiphat:

Hey my long haired friend, don't give away all my secrets....By the way, the mrs. General has made me go on a diet thanks to you talking about my jeans being too small...Some pal...I thought maybe I had a friend from Capitol Hill.
Now, about Tulio's...there was one in Norman but, I think I saw a sign (maybe or probably was closed)...however, I'm going to find this if it kills me. You know, the Glen's Hikry Inn sign still stands on n.w. 10th and May.....
Speaking of finding something....I found an aluminum Bazaark Helmet...I'll bring it next time.....

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
05-21-2009, 11:44 AM
If I remember correctly, (but Probably not) the Tuilio's was off I-35 on the Main street exit by the mall. It still wasn't as good a the original one on S Robinson

Generals64
05-21-2009, 12:06 PM
If I remember correctly, (but Probably not) the Tuilio's was off I-35 on the Main street exit by the mall. It still wasn't as good a the original one on S Robinson

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yee-haw My southside girl friend has changed my mind. there is still a Tulio's sign peering though on 33rd and Robinson. and yes, he used to have the best mexican food around. There used to be aplace on south western (Old Muffler shop building) called Aquascaliente (Hot Water);...they really had good food....they had a buffet and you could get one side was tru Mexican food (cloves etc.) and the other was Tex-Mex and it was great to mix to two....their gone...

Charlie40
05-21-2009, 02:07 PM
Here is the location for Tulios in norman

Tulio's Mexican Restaurant
(405) 579-1200
1000 E Alameda St, #128, Norman, OK 73071

USG '60
05-21-2009, 02:44 PM
I didn't know they made Bazaark "helmuts." Is it a milk bucket with eye holes?

papaOU
05-21-2009, 03:05 PM
Hey my long haired friend, don't give away all my secrets....By the way, the mrs. General has made me go on a diet thanks to you talking about my jeans being too small...Some pal...I thought maybe I had a friend from Capitol Hill.
Now, about Tulio's...there was one in Norman but, I think I saw a sign (maybe or probably was closed)...however, I'm going to find this if it kills me. You know, the Glen's Hikry Inn sign still stands on n.w. 10th and May.....
Speaking of finding something....I found an aluminum Bazaark Helmet...I'll bring it next time.....

You can at times find Glen's items on eBay. Matches, cups, glasses.......

In '76 was working with a guy doing construction. There were 3 of us. We were working in the area so the boss takes us to Glen's for lunch Dec. 23. kind of a Christmas gift. The boss got a steak and we two peons ate the buffet.
Later into the spring we were doing an A frame south west of New Castle. At that time in the boonies.
Don't think they have found the body to this day....

I mean! It was a good looking A frame inside and out.................

Gotta take my pill...............

Generals64
05-21-2009, 04:08 PM
I didn't know they made Bazaark "helmuts." Is it a milk bucket with eye holes?

I didn't either....found it (with original box) at a Garage Sale....asked "How much?"...is a buck too much? naw, I'll take it.... I'll bring it next meeting...It looks like it might have been a space helmet or something but, it looks like Bazaark himself.....Pretty neat for a dollar....the factory box is probably worth a buck....

grantgeneral78
05-21-2009, 08:30 PM
What in rthe world is a bazzark?

papaOU
05-21-2009, 08:41 PM

It's a buzzard that has crash landed in a park!!!! :doh:

USG '60
05-22-2009, 07:31 AM

You poor deprived youth. Sooo innocent. :(

Prunepicker
05-22-2009, 10:18 AM
What in the world is a bazzark?

Didn't you watch Dan-D-Dynamo?

Prunepicker
05-22-2009, 10:19 AM
Bazark is on the left!:LolLolLol

DDD pg 1 (http://www.dddynamo.com/3dintro1.html)

grantgeneral78
05-22-2009, 05:00 PM
Bazark is on the left!:LolLolLol

DDD pg 1 (http://www.dddynamo.com/3dintro1.html)

Ok nope never seen that before ...remember I am just a youngn among the forest of elder oaks....what years was the show on?

Generals64
05-22-2009, 05:14 PM
Ok nope never seen that before ...remember I am just a youngn among the forest of elder oaks....what years was the show on?
Looking at the picture, Bazaark was on the right. Danny Williams was 3-D Danny a spaceman of the future and his side kick was a robot by the name of Bazaark. The show was popular from about 1953 or 54 until somewere in the late fifties or early sixties.....The robot is in a museum here in OKC somewhere along with 3-D Danny's costume....

Prunepicker
05-22-2009, 08:36 PM
Looking at the picture, Bazark was on the right...

It was to bewilder Gen78.

papaOU
05-22-2009, 09:02 PM
How many Sambo's in OKC made the change to Denny's?

bluedogok
05-22-2009, 09:28 PM
Not sure but I know the one at 23rd & Meridian didn't.

twinkles
05-22-2009, 09:51 PM
I haven't rummaged through this post in a while, but does anyone know what happened to Buerger Brothers?

papaOU
05-22-2009, 09:56 PM
I haven't rummaged through this post in a while, but does anyone know what happened to Buerger Brothers?

Torn down!!!!!!!!!!

A vicitm of moderization.

The slab is still visible.............

SE-76
05-25-2009, 10:40 PM
How many Sambo's in OKC made the change to Denny's?

one at 36th and western did.

papaOU
05-30-2009, 10:05 PM
Remember the Muffler Shop with the midget on Robinson? V&H Muffler Shop, 1414 S. Robinson.

Photo from the 1970 Chieftain Yearbook CHHS

Prunepicker
05-30-2009, 10:23 PM
Remember the Muffler Shop with the midget on Robinson? V&H Muffler Shop,
1414 S. Robinson.

Gen64 and Red/Gen have mentioned this.

Face it kid, everything you know is already known...

:LolLolLol:LolLolLol:LolLolLol

Thanks for the memories...

grantgeneral78
05-31-2009, 10:21 AM
Remember the Muffler Shop with the midget on Robinson? V&H Muffler Shop, 1414 S. Robinson.

Photo from the 1970 Chieftain Yearbook CHHS

Of course to be politically correct it is "Little Person"
:poke:

papaOU
05-31-2009, 10:34 AM
Gen64 and Red/Gen have mentioned this.

Face it kid, everything you know is already known...

:LolLolLol:LolLolLol:LolLolLol

Thanks for the memories...

But of course I mentioned it while you guys were bantering about 'hubcaps'! I only posted this picture because...........

Hey! Wait a minute.........

I don't have to explain anything to you.........

We aren't sleeping together............

FRISKY
05-31-2009, 01:01 PM
Of course to be politically correct it is "Little Person"
:poke:Of course back then it was "midget". :poke:

Generals64
05-31-2009, 01:23 PM
Of course back then it was "midget". :poke:

Jack Patton wasw his name. He was very good and very precise when he put exhaust on your car. Generals 70, you used to work for his Older brother at Central Fixture.....You can put together the first name. Jack passed away some time back. I remember V&H Muffler when then used a chain Hoist and pick your car up off the dirt floor to do the Muffler work. That undoutedly was the place to have "Glass Packs" put on your car...

papaOU
05-31-2009, 05:16 PM
Jack Patton wasw his name. He was very good and very precise when he put exhaust on your car. Generals 70, you used to work for his Older brother at Central Fixture.....You can put together the first name. Jack passed away some time back. I remember V&H Muffler when then used a chain Hoist and pick your car up off the dirt floor to do the Muffler work. That undoutedly was the place to have "Glass Packs" put on your car...

Tell me about Central Fixture.

Generals64
05-31-2009, 05:43 PM
Tell me about Central Fixture.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cnetral fixture Co.:....This was originally the maintenance company for TG&Y and Central Sales Co. Central Sales Promotion Co. was where all of the promotional banners, signs etc. came from...their last location was on N.W. 50th St. Central fixtures was the company (division of TG&Y) that made sure of fixturing etc. for the stores as they were being opened. They ended up on Broadway in Edmond and that was where the fixtures were buildt and distributed throughout the country. If you'll look at a Hobby Lobby store their fixturing was and is basically like TG&Y. Gen70 worked for Central fixtures for quite some time and if he reads this he can probably give us a more indept description...

Prunepicker
05-31-2009, 05:44 PM
Does anyone remember the man repaired fountain pens and lighters? He may
have done some other repairs but pens and lighters was his occupation. He
had an office in the Municipal Auditorium. It's hard to believe someone could
make a living like that but he did. There was a write up about him in the
Daily Oklahoman in the mid 60's, I think.

Generals64
05-31-2009, 05:49 PM
Does anyone remember the man repaired fountain pens and lighters? He may
have done some other repairs but pens and lighters was his occupation. He
had an office in the Municipal Auditorium. It's hard to believe someone could
make a living like that but he did. There was a write up about him in the
Daily Oklahoman in the mid 60's, I think.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, I do remember that but it was so long ago I had forgotten. I think he also repaired like Electric Razors and small electrical items. But, he was extrememly good at what he did. If my memory isn't playing a trick on me the guy moved his shop to about1`13th an N. May Ave after they began remodeling the Civic Center....

Prunepicker
05-31-2009, 05:55 PM
Central fixture Co... their last location was on N.W. 50th St.
That's in Bethany!

Prunepicker
05-31-2009, 05:59 PM
Yes, I do remember that but it was so long ago I had forgotten. I think he
also repaired like Electric Razors and small electrical items. But, he was
extremely good at what he did. If my memory isn't playing a trick on me the
guy moved his shop to about 13th an N. May Ave after they began
remodeling the Civic Center...

Your info sounds right. The first remodel was @ 1968 or 69. It was after
the Steppenwolf concert.

bluedogok
05-31-2009, 06:29 PM
Cnetral fixture Co.:....This was originally the maintenance company for TG&Y and Central Sales Co. Central Sales Promotion Co. was where all of the promotional banners, signs etc. came from...their last location was on N.W. 50th St. Central fixtures was the company (division of TG&Y) that made sure of fixturing etc. for the stores as they were being opened. They ended up on Broadway in Edmond and that was where the fixtures were buildt and distributed throughout the country. If you'll look at a Hobby Lobby store their fixturing was and is basically like TG&Y. Gen70 worked for Central fixtures for quite some time and if he reads this he can probably give us a more indept description...That's in Bethany!
I think they were around 50th & Santa Fe.

Yes, I do remember that but it was so long ago I had forgotten. I think he also repaired like Electric Razors and small electrical items. But, he was extrememly good at what he did. If my memory isn't playing a trick on me the guy moved his shop to about1`13th an N. May Ave after they began remodeling the Civic Center....
Kraker's? They are at NW 19th & May or at least they were a couple of years ago when I bought some stuff there that I can't find down here in Austin.

papaOU
05-31-2009, 09:40 PM
I think they were around 50th & Santa Fe.

Kraker's? They are at NW 19th & May or at least they were a couple of years ago when I bought some stuff there that I can't find down here in Austin.

What's your company/business?

Is that a legal question

papaOU
06-03-2009, 09:59 PM
There was an auto parts store locally owned and operated. Save Auto? At least in 1960's and into the '70's.

Anyone remember?

Prunepicker
06-03-2009, 10:22 PM
There was an auto parts store locally owned and operated. Save Auto? At
least in 1960's and into the '70's.

Anyone remember?

There were several Save Auto's in town. There was one just south of Grant
where I bought cheap oil and one on NW Expressway just west of McArthur.

I bought a Cal Custom T shifter knob. It never stayed on.

papaOU
06-04-2009, 12:50 AM
There were several Save Auto's in town. There was one just south of Grant
where I bought cheap oil and one on NW Expressway just west of McArthur.

I bought a Cal Custom T shifter knob. It never stayed on.

Went to junior high with the founder/owner/etc's daughter. She went to high school in Moore because of the busing.

Their offices was off of I35 and about S.E. 75th.

Do you remember when they closed? Was it in the mid to late '70's?

Generals64
06-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Went to junior high with the founder/owner/etc's daughter. She went to high school in Moore because of the busing.

Their offices was off of I35 and about S.E. 75th.

Do you remember when they closed? Was it in the mid to late '70's?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
they closed the one in Moore in the early to mid 80's...I bought a bunch of the close-out stuff they had...Sold it at the Flea Market......Still have some of it somewhere...Not a good deal if you don't know what to do with it....

Prunepicker
06-04-2009, 11:19 AM
Do you remember when they (Save Auto) closed? Was it in the mid to late
'70's?

Sometime in the 80's. Maybe 85.

papaOU
06-04-2009, 11:25 AM
...Not a good deal if you don't know what to do with it....[/QUOTE]

Kind'a like a wife..............:fighting2

Generals64
06-04-2009, 03:13 PM
...Not a good deal if you don't know what to do with it....

Kind'a like a wife..............:fighting2[/QUOTE]
"Ouch".....Today I am celebrating my 43rd Wedding Anniversary....Still don't know what to do though....But an exciting run through the years....This has been a great business partnership.....I think.....Profit margin is a little short but you gotta keep on trying....

Generals64
06-04-2009, 08:31 PM
Hey, is the old Eldorado motors wtill in business over by the feed mill???? 2020 S. Robinson....

papaOU
06-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Hey, is the old Eldorado motors wtill in business over by the feed mill???? 2020 S. Robinson....

It was 2020 Used Cars when I was kid. But the lot is empty and for rent.

A guy that I went to school with bought a car from one of those lots down there. It was south of the feed mill. He got it home and then was going to show it off. Rear axle lost what fluid it had from the car lot to his house. They may have even put sawdust in there I don't remember. It did not work is the point.

Is Eldorado's still in business? They had a lot near s.w.29th and Kentucky. May drive by to see Friday.

Prunepicker
06-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Hey, is the old Eldorado motors still in business over by the feed mill?
2020 S. Robinson...

I think there's one on N. May near 36th.

grantgeneral78
06-05-2009, 05:22 AM
Ok do you know who owned ElDorado motors.....I used to do there paint and body work.

Generals64
06-05-2009, 05:15 PM
Ok do you know who owned ElDorado motors.....I used to do there paint and body work.

Bob Moore was the money man I do know that....

bluedogok
06-05-2009, 08:09 PM
Who WASN'T he the money man for may be an easier question.

papaOU
06-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Who WASN'T he the money man for may be an easier question.

Lynn Hickey!!!!

grantgeneral78
06-05-2009, 09:22 PM

Yup it was Bob Moores lot for selling the trade ins....you get pickers flys for the prize

Generals64
06-05-2009, 11:05 PM
Yup it was Bob Moores lot for selling the trade ins....you get pickers flys for the prize

Bob Moore financed a large of the car lots in OKC,,,,,We had an outside promo at TG&Y and I called him to see if they would bring down some of the cadillacs...His response was if you're that Gutsy, come and get them yourswlf and I'll look the other way, They sold 9 cars during that sale..He was very happy first Cadillac I had driven...Real Nice...