View Full Version : What old business do you remember in OKC?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Generals64
04-04-2009, 01:18 PM
maybe he was ducking you!!!!

Won't be the first time...or the last time....While at the car show i got to thinking about this thread and I guess the only nostalgic Car dealers left in Okc would be Hudiburg....Bob Moore and Fred Jones and it's owned by Bob Howard...
I remember being able to go to Downtown Chevrolet as a young kid and the salesmen would not run you off or attack you to try and sell a car...You could look and ask questions and No problems...Ayers Chevrolet the same way...I guess they realized you would eventually grow up and have the money to buy a car...

Redskins/General
04-04-2009, 02:39 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where have you been????I think it was Harvey's wasn't it???Thought I would see you at the Car show today....
I think it was Veazey's, have that Soonergirl check that out why don't cha'!!

CarltonsKeeper
04-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Where have you been????I think it was Harvey's wasn't it???Thought I would see you at the Car show today....
Thanks for the INVITE!! I would have loved to have gone if only a good friend would have given me a call. You probably ate hot dogs and drank your Bud Lite and mine too!! Ha! Ha!

bluedogok
04-04-2009, 08:35 PM
Northpark Mall in Dallas is at Central Expressway (US-75) and Northwest Highway (Loop 12). The one in OKC is at NW 122nd & May, southeast corner.

striipidy
04-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Cary's University Drug Store (on NE 14th and Lottie.) Nice place.

papaOU
04-04-2009, 09:33 PM
I remember - oh so many good places:US Grant High School - loved them Generals - spent 4 years in that school.

4 years? So you didn't graduate!!!:ridem:

Generals64
04-05-2009, 06:34 AM
Cary's University Drug Store (on NE 14th and Lottie.) Nice place.
------------------=======================----------------------------
Mickey Carey was one of the toughest buyer's in Oklahoma .....Not just the city but the state...quite agentleman otherwise.....Pulliam's Bar-B-Que was just down the street from Carey's...No has ever topped Pulliam's Sauce....

Prunepicker
04-05-2009, 11:55 AM
... Pulliam's Bar-B-Que was just down the street from Carey's... No has ever
topped Pulliam's Sauce...

Didn't Lincoln run up to Pulliam's? That's what I remember. Every time we
cross that intersection I tell Prunette we just drove through Pulliam's.

I think the secret of the sauce was that he let it sit in the window, for who
knows how long and age and never cleaned the pot he made it in.
I think you could get drunk on it.
I guess you could call it "BBQ-Jack":LolLolLol

Generals64
04-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Didn't Lincoln run up to Pulliam's? That's what I remember. Every time we
cross that intersection I tell Prunette we just drove through Pulliam's.

I think the secret of the sauce was that he let it sit in the window, for who
knows how long and age and never cleaned the pot he made it in.
I think you could get drunk on it.
I guess you could call it "BBQ-Jack":LolLolLol

Pulliam's original place was behind a two story house on 8th street....he then moved but I don't remember where that ended up at.....

Redskins/General
04-08-2009, 06:05 PM
Does anyone remember the barber shop that was a converted Bus across on the North Side of the Walker bridge. Use to get my hair cuts there. Then I moved on up to about 13th and Walker and went east!! Think I saw Gen/78 and 64 there, don't remember!!

Generals64
04-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Does anyone remember the barber shop that was a converted Bus across on the North Side of the Walker bridge. Use to get my hair cuts there. Then I moved on up to about 13th and Walker and went east!! Think I saw Gen/78 and 64 there, don't remember!!

Yeah, we were both there...He was wearing diapers though...By the way, do they give you a great deal on your hair cut or do they have to buy a hunting license to find any?????Gotcha

firemedicbm
04-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Remember this???

YouTube - Dannysday - 1974 WKY-TV (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTzybb38PNk&feature=related)

firemedicbm
04-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Read a story about Linda Soundtrak last night. I had a hard time believing someone would be that silly and other people looked up to them. But, I guess money does talk....

Here's one for ya...

YouTube - Linda Soundtrak TV Commercials (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n5_l7JcORA&feature=related)

papaOU
04-09-2009, 11:12 PM

Anyone remember Black's Barber Shop between SW24th and Commerce on the west side of Walker? There is an alley between the two streets and his place was the first south of the alley. He and his wife lived in back of the shop. That man remembered when the Walker Bridge over the Canadian was opened. He told me they had this big parade and celebration. He gave me my first haircut.:tiphat:

Generals64
04-10-2009, 04:36 PM
Anyone remember Black's Barber Shop between SW24th and Commerce on the west side of Walker? There is an alley between the two streets and his place was the first south of the alley. He and his wife lived in back of the shop. That man remembered when the Walker Bridge over the Canadian was opened. He told me they had this big parade and celebration. He gave me my first haircut.:tiphat:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UH, was that also your last one????

papaOU
04-10-2009, 09:39 PM
UH, was that also your last one????

You can lay blame on my Dad and Brother for this head of hair (And the fact that I am single and it is a great chick magnet. Caused problems with my ex and...........). Dad and my brother both balding and have been for years. As a kid I knew my Dad was really mad and I was in for it when he took me to one of the barber colleges on Agnew and specified a burr. Then home for the belt and grounding.

Prunepicker
04-10-2009, 10:12 PM
You can lay blame on my Dad and Brother for this head of hair (And the fact
that I am single and it is a great chick magnet. Caused problems with my ex
and...) Dad and my brother both balding and have been for years. As a
kid I knew my Dad was really mad and I was in for it when he took me to
one of the barber colleges on Agnew and specified a burr. Then home for
the belt and grounding.

Man, dad used to drag us, literally, to those butcher shops on Agnew.

I have never voluntarily received a hair cut. Never. I get them for Prunette.
To tell the truth, Prunette has given me my hair cuts since my barberette
ran off with that man to Hawaii. Of course that man was her husband.

All of that touching drives my insane. Can't stand it. Period. This one
oldtimer slapped a vibrator on my neck and he thought I was going to kill
him!

I'd almost rather go to the dentist, but that takes too much time.

Redskins/General
04-11-2009, 07:10 AM
Man, dad used to drag us, literally, to those butcher shops on Agnew.

I have never voluntarily received a hair cut. Never. I get them for Prunette.
To tell the truth, Prunette has given me my hair cuts since my barberette
ran off with that man to Hawaii. Of course that man was her husband.

All of that touching drives my insane. Can't stand it. Period. This one
oldtimer slapped a vibrator on my neck and he thought I was going to kill
him!

I'd almost rather go to the dentist, but that takes too much time.
My experience was just the opposite, I slapped the vibrator on my Barberette and WE ran off to Hawaii, never to see Miss Red/Gen again! I guess I got confused!!!!!!!!!!

FRISKY
04-11-2009, 10:55 AM
My experience was just the opposite, I slapped the vibrator on my Barberette and WE ran off to Hawaii, never to see Miss Red/Gen again! I guess I got confused!!!!!!!!!!TMI.............. :LolLolLol

papaOU
04-11-2009, 05:32 PM
My Barberette slapped the vibrator on me, I slapped it on mamaOU, she slapped back on Barberette and before I knew it Barberette, the vibrator, and mamaOU ran off together!

Prunepicker
04-11-2009, 06:43 PM
TMI... :LolLolLol

It may be TMI - if you mean too much information - but I can't stand it.

Not even a little bit. I wouldn't let Soonergirl put a vibrator on my neck and I
think she's A-OK. That goes for Southsidegirl, too, and she's a babe!

All I want, when I go to a barbershop, is to get my hairs cut. That means
both of them. Don't rub my neck and never use a vibrating device of any
kind, whatsoever, on any part of my body!

ACCK!

papaOU
04-11-2009, 09:28 PM
It may be TMI - if you mean too much information - but I can't stand it.

Not even a little bit. I wouldn't let Soonergirl put a vibrator on my neck and I
think she's A-OK. That goes for Southsidegirl, too, and she's a babe!

All I want, when I go to a barbershop, is to get my hairs cut. That means
both of them. Don't rub my neck and never use a vibrating device of any
kind, whatsoever, on any part of my body!

ACCK!

Hands-off Southsidegirl!! I saw her first!! 7th grade 1967-1968!!:elmer3:

Redskins/General
04-12-2009, 06:22 AM
My Barberette slapped the vibrator on me, I slapped it on mamaOU, she slapped back on Barberette and before I knew it Barberette, the vibrator, and mamaOU ran off together!
She must have had that hummer on HIGH Speed!!! LOL

CarltonsKeeper
04-12-2009, 02:50 PM
Cushman Eagle dealer on Linwood just east of Blackwelder a few feet! Moore's cycles when they were on S. Robinson and were the only Mustang and Simplex dealer??

grantgeneral78
04-12-2009, 07:04 PM
Cushman Eagle dealer on Linwood just east of Blackwelder a few feet! Moore's cycles when they were on S. Robinson and were the only Mustang and Simplex dealer??

never knew there was a actual mustang dealer here

Generals64
04-12-2009, 07:20 PM
never knew there was a actual mustang dealer here
The village Idiot worked for the Moore Cycle shop...Get him to start talking....

grantgeneral78
04-12-2009, 07:28 PM
The village Idiot worked for the Moore Cycle shop...Get him to start talking....

he worked there huh

Generals64
04-12-2009, 07:52 PM
he worked there huh

He worked there for some time mainly in deliver and Outside sales.....Talking about the one that was on Main street I think. I sold him a completely restored
Cushman Eagle.

CarltonsKeeper
04-13-2009, 04:23 PM
Remember "Hub Cap City" at 1800 S.E. 29th??? The outside of the bldg was covered with nailed on up hub caps....

grantgeneral78
04-13-2009, 05:05 PM
Remember "Hub Cap City" at 1800 S.E. 29th??? The outside of the bldg was covered with nailed on up hub caps....

yeah seems like it should still be there.

Generals64
04-13-2009, 08:28 PM
yeah seems like it should still be there.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yeah....hey do you guys (I'm sure you do) remember where brittain brothers used to be????? how about Consolidated Wholesale?....Henthorn Trucking....How about where the original Tener's store was? what did Ray Tener specialize in in sales?

Prunepicker
04-13-2009, 10:05 PM
Yeah... hey do you guys (I'm sure you do) remember where Brittain brothers
used to be? How about Consolidated Wholesale? Henthorn Trucking... How
about where the original Tenner's store was? What did Ray Tener specialize in
in sales?

I drove one of my favorite thugs to Brittain Brothers. He gave me $2 for my
trouble. Man, I was irate because I couldn't get to Woolworth's in time to
grab a hot dog and fries.

Who gives a rip about Tenner's? All they had was cowboy hats. At any rate,
I believe Tenner's was in Packin' Town.

papaOU
04-13-2009, 11:44 PM
I worked at Brittain Brothers on Western. I can't remember what they were called but we all had this piece of wood with a wheel on the back and front which were stationary. Had a straight vertical board that was topped by handlebars. On the front was a box that worked as a basket. You would go upstairs and would be given an order to fill. Skate all over that building to get the parts to complete the order. Taken to the back where the women would make sure it was correct. Box it. Tape the order to the carton for delivery.

Prunepicker
04-13-2009, 11:52 PM
I worked at Brittain Brothers on Western. I can't remember what they were
called but we all had this piece of wood with a wheel on the back and front
which were stationary. Had a straight vertical board that was topped by
handlebars. On the front was a box that worked as a basket. You would go
upstairs and would be given an order to fill. Skate all over that building to get
the parts to complete the order. Taken to the back where the women would
make sure it was correct. Box it. Tape the order to the carton for delivery.

That sounds like a lot of work! I thought about working once. I decided to
become a musician, instead. Still am. It's a good living, but so is being a
plumber in January.

:bedtime:

grantgeneral78
04-14-2009, 04:18 AM
Is britain Bros. still on western I havent been that way in a while?

Generals64
04-14-2009, 06:56 AM
Is britain Bros. still on western I havent been that way in a while?
No, the new I-40 took them....Tener's was in Packing Town right across from Cattlemen's....The mainstay for Ray Tener was Boots and Hats....Before his son-in-law convinced him to expand and they took the building on the south side of Excahnge right by the Stockyards entrance...and so on....

CarltonsKeeper
04-15-2009, 01:24 PM
No, the new I-40 took them....Tener's was in Packing Town right across from Cattlemen's....The mainstay for Ray Tener was Boots and Hats....Before his son-in-law convinced him to expand and they took the building on the south side of Excahnge right by the Stockyards entrance...and so on....
Remember when the "Black Angus" restaurant was next door north to the origianal Stockyards Bank?? They were seperated by the drive-thru alley which was also the drive-thru banking, you old Codger!!

Generals64
04-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Remember when the "Black Angus" restaurant was next door north to the origianal Stockyards Bank?? They were seperated by the drive-thru alley which was also the drive-thru banking, you old Codger!!
The shoe Fiteth Huh????? I had forgotten about that one...How about the Stockyards Coliseum?????I also remember when the OKC Stockyards was one of the Largest Stockyards in the Country...I remember as a kid getting to work (Horseback) down there....Hamburger/French Fries and a Coke was the pay but, I got to ....NOTICE.....GOT TO.....Ride ole Buck all day for free.....Sheesh the saddle sores are coming backkkkkkk.....Codger.....you're not too far behind me...Hey, why don't you come this Saturday??????Then you can buy my lunch as I have to buy one of the Northsiders lunch for giving him a Raze on one of their Threads Answers.....but, I'll do it.....You want to meet at Coit's tomorrow...Old man?????

papaOU
04-15-2009, 10:55 PM
The shoe Fiteth Huh????? I had forgotten about that one...How about the Stockyards Coliseum?????I also remember when the OKC Stockyards was one of the Largest Stockyards in the Country...I remember as a kid getting to work (Horseback) down there....Hamburger/French Fries and a Coke was the pay but, I got to ....NOTICE.....GOT TO.....Ride ole Buck all day for free.....Sheesh the saddle sores are coming backkkkkkk.....Codger.....you're not too far behind me...Hey, why don't you come this Saturday??????Then you can buy my lunch as I have to buy one of the Northsiders lunch for giving him a Raze on one of their Threads Answers.....but, I'll do it.....You want to meet at Coit's tomorrow...Old man?????

I went to the Stockyards Coliseum with my Grandmother on Friday nights for Championship Wrestling! You knew it was scripted but it resembled somewhat true wrestling. "Goodnight! And watch out for flying chairs!"

Prunepicker
04-16-2009, 04:47 PM
"Goodnight! And watch out for flying chairs!"

Wasn't that Danny Williams line at the end of WKY Wrasslin'? My Dad was a
champion wrestler and wouldn't let us watch it. I thought it was cool. We'd
watch it when Mom and Dad went out of town. The babysitter didnt know
any better. Unlike most of my friends, we didn't need a baby sitter after I
turned 20. Dad couldn't watch it for entertainment. I wrestled in Jr. High and
High School.

Musicians don't wrestle in college.

grantgeneral78
04-16-2009, 05:41 PM
[QUOTE=Prunepicker;217703]Wasn't that Danny Williams line at the end of WKY Wrasslin'? My Dad was a
champion wrestler and wouldn't let us watch it. I thought it was cool. We'd
watch it when Mom and Dad went out of town. The babysitter didnt know
any better. Unlike most of my friends, we didn't need a baby sitter after I
turned 20. Dad couldn't watch it for entertainment. I wrestled in Jr. High and
High School.

Musicians don't wrestle in college.[/QUOTE

dont tel me your dad was DR. X

papaOU
04-16-2009, 05:49 PM
dont tel me your dad was DR. X[/QUOTE]

Nope! Haystack Calhoun!!

Prunepicker
04-16-2009, 05:59 PM
don't tel me your dad was DR. X
Hey, that's a good question. He came home really late a couple of times
every week...

You might be right!

Come to think of it... at times he acted like one of the Medics or both of the
Assassins! He may have been Junkyard Dawg!

Nah!

papaOU
04-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Hey, that's a good question. He came home really late a couple of times
every week...

You might be right!

Come to think of it... at times he acted like one of the Medics or both of the
Assassins! He may have been Junkyard Dawg!

Nah!

Cowboy Bill Watts?

My Mom used to wrestle. Midget Wrestling. They called her the Teeny-Meany- Weeny

papaOU
04-20-2009, 09:31 PM
Okay people! I have a question that is a subject that most of the older members know. I had forgotten about it until I saw it mentioned on one of these threads.

Here goes. Was there really a bordello known as Jessie's? As a kid and through teenage years it was alluded to by other "kids" but I don't think I ever heard it from the adults. Now the adults talked about the Black Hotel. Ever hear anything similar about the Black?

CarltonsKeeper
04-21-2009, 06:45 AM
Okay people! I have a question that is a subject that most of the older members know. I had forgotten about it until I saw it mentioned on one of these threads.

Here goes. Was there really a bordello known as Jessie's? As a kid and through teenage years it was alluded to by other "kids" but I don't think I ever heard it from the adults. Now the adults talked about the Black Hotel. Ever hear anything similar about the Black?
The Gospel Truth......They were both the "Real Deal." Gen/64 gave me their price list (I wouldn't know). Jesse's being $3.00 and the Black Hotel being $15.00. THE END!

Ever hear of Mary Lou????

Let's not forget about "The Hudson Hotel" or "The Victoria" both located on Broadway S. of Main St before urban renewal!

papaOU
04-21-2009, 12:03 PM
The Gospel Truth......They were both the "Real Deal." Gen/64 gave me their price list (I wouldn't know). Jesse's being $3.00 and the Black Hotel being $15.00. THE END!

Ever hear of Mary Lou????

Let's not forget about "The Hudson Hotel" or "The Victoria" both located on Broadway S. of Main St before urban renewal!

My grandmother had the Hudson Drive in. Why they called it a drive-in when it was a beer bar I'll never know.
My grandfather owned the Victoria and the OK Billiards located in the same building. Looking for photo's of the Victoria and OK Billiards but unable to find them. Talked with Bob L. and he told me few pictures were made of anything downtown south of California. Anyone got leads let me know. PLEASE.

CarltonsKeeper
04-21-2009, 12:11 PM
My grandmother had the Hudson Drive in. Why they called it a drive-in when it was a beer bar I'll never know.
My grandfather owned the Victoria and the OK Billiards located in the same building. Looking for photo's of the Victoria and OK Billiards but unable to find them. Talked with Bob L. and he told me few pictures were made of anything downtown south of California. Anyone got leads let me know. PLEASE.
Are you referring to the Victoria Hotel and Hudson Hotel?????

papaOU
04-21-2009, 03:16 PM
Are you referring to the Victoria Hotel and Hudson Hotel?????

The Victoria Hotel and the Hudson Drive In. The Hudson Drive In was at S.W. 5th and Hudson. It was an old house converted into a beer joint. When it was torn down they put a gas station there. It's on the northwest corner of S.W. 5 and Hudson.

My grandfather owned the "Victoria Hotel". He died 1957. If you know the Victoria then you must remember OK Billiards. It was west of the Victoria facing Reno.

CarltonsKeeper
04-21-2009, 04:50 PM
The Victoria Hotel and the Hudson Drive In. The Hudson Drive In was at S.W. 5th and Hudson. It was an old house converted into a beer joint. When it was torn down they put a gas station there. It's on the northwest corner of S.W. 5 and Hudson.

My grandfather owned the "Victoria Hotel". He died 1957. If you know the Victoria then you must remember OK Billiards. It was west of the Victoria facing Reno.
I've forgotten it, old age I guess! The Hudson Hotel was across the street from the Victoria Hotel, had wooden steps if I remember correctly! Actually, I think the whole structure of both of these Hotels were wood?

Generals64
04-22-2009, 03:54 PM
I've forgotten it, old age I guess! The Hudson Hotel was across the street from the Victoria Hotel, had wooden steps if I remember correctly! Actually, I think the whole structure of both of these Hotels were wood?
here is a question that I don't know the answer but need some help please...There was a movie theater (still there) on about 19th and Classen on the West side of the Road....What was the name of it????I think Shadid owns it and it is his office area.....

papaOU
04-23-2009, 04:54 PM
here is a question that I don't know the answer but need some help please...There was a movie theater (still there) on about 19th and Classen on the West side of the Road....What was the name of it????I think Shadid owns it and it is his office area.....

Looking for documentation but if I remember correctly it was called the Vic. I don't know if that's correct but people called it the Vic because the building was Victorian. There were some newspaper articles about the place some time ago about it's restoration and business's and offices that were there or moving in. I'll see if I can't find more...........................

I'm too young but does anybody remember the ISIS movie theater downtown? Think it was on Reno.

Generals64
04-23-2009, 06:17 PM
Looking for documentation but if I remember correctly it was called the Vic. I don't know if that's correct but people called it the Vic because the building was Victorian. There were some newspaper articles about the place some time ago about it's restoration and business's and offices that were there or moving in. I'll see if I can't find more...........................

I'm too young but does anybody remember the ISIS movie theater downtown? Think it was on Reno.
If Redskins/General reads this he'll tell you especially if it was XXX...

papaOU
04-23-2009, 07:20 PM
Forget the Isis. Did the Vic sound familiar to you? I am going to do some more research later.

phinzup
04-28-2009, 06:23 PM
I have had a ball reading this thread. Sure brings back a LOT of memories.

Someone beat me to "Levines"
How about:
Jude and Jody's
Bolen Oldsmobile "Rollin into Bolen"
Ritz theater
Mayflower theater
Carpenter Paper Company
Fretwell's
Don't remember the name: the driving range and trampoline place on S. Western, a little north of 25th St.
Hickr'y Pit BBQ
Eskridge Oldsmobile
Lone Star Brewery

I just found this forum yesterday.....I have some catching up to do.

Prunepicker
04-28-2009, 08:31 PM
here is a question that I don't know the answer but need some help please...
There was a movie theater (still there) on about 19th and Classen on the
West side of the Road... What was the name of it? I think Shadid owns it and
it is his office area...

I knew the name of it a few years ago. It's in the Victoria or Victor building
on NW 18th.

Was it the Victor?

papaOU
04-28-2009, 09:41 PM
I knew the name of it a few years ago. It's in the Victoria or Victor building
on NW 18th.

Was it the Victor?

Was it the Victor Victoria............

Ask James Garner............

Julie Andrews.............

I'm confused........

Prunepicker
04-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Was it the Victor Victoria...

Ask James Garner...

Julie Andrews...

I'm confused...

I'm not sure any more. Maybe.

USG '60
04-28-2009, 10:41 PM
I believe the Victoria Bldg was built as a theatre based on London's Old Vic theatre. It's original limestone exterior walls were "destroyed" back in the '70s when Taz Roland had the building sprayed with some kind of crap. Maybe someone has figured out how to get it off. It was a lovely building before that... quite authentic.

Prunepicker
04-28-2009, 11:26 PM
I believe the Victoria Bldg was built as a theatre based on London's Old Vic
theatre. It's original limestone exterior walls were "destroyed" back in the '70s
when Taz Roland had the building sprayed with some kind of crap. Maybe
someone has figured out how to get it off. It was a lovely building before
that... quite authentic.
I still think it's a classy building.

Do you remember the name of the theater? I'm thinking the name started
with a G, but I'm not certain.