View Full Version : What old business do you remember in OKC?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

curtisplant
03-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Does anyone remember the old Otasco commercials with the little cartoon guy sweeping the sidwalk? I've looked for them on Youtube with no luck.

Generals64
03-15-2009, 11:49 AM
Does anyone remember the old Otasco commercials with the little cartoon guy sweeping the sidwalk? I've looked for them on Youtube with no luck.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let me dig a little and I might have some Pictures????? if you're interested....

SE-76
03-15-2009, 08:29 PM

Remeber at christmas, they always had those yellow & black monkey dolls.
one with the plastic hand holding a bannana that wedged into the monkeys
mouth. Mr Bim

Prunepicker
03-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Remember at Christmas, they always had those yellow & black monkey dolls.
one with the plastic hand holding a banana that wedged into the monkeys
mouth. Mr Bim

I remember that monkey!

grantgeneral78
03-16-2009, 03:09 AM
Or even the monkey that had the cymbals in his hands and he banged them together.

Generals64
03-16-2009, 06:43 AM
Or even the monkey that had the cymbals in his hands and he banged them together.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There was named Zippy:....My sister-in-law------she's 56 now but, she always had one while growing up and eventually it was lost....I heard about that monkey until I was sick of it and I found one in a garage sale.....Guess what she got for Christmas...She still has the dang thing and it's put up on the shelf for everyone to see...Hmmmmm

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
03-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Do any of you remember the barber shop on the west side of Reding Shopping center, Carroll's barber shop?. He moved to 59th and Klein and his sign is still there, don't know if he is still cutting hair. My brother (who is 53)used to get his flat-top hair cut from him. Or the shoe repair shop next to the barber shop

CarltonsKeeper
03-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Do any of you remember the barber shop on the west side of Reding Shopping center, Carroll's barber shop?. He moved to 59th and Klein and his sign is still there, don't know if he is still cutting hair. My brother (who is 53)used to get his flat-top hair cut from him. Or the shoe repair shop next to the barber shop
His name is Carroll Potter, he still displays his "Luttrell's" Barber shop name plaque. I was getting my hair cut there last summer so I suppose he's still in business. He was cutting my hair back in about 1958!! He told me last time I was in there that he was 79 years old and had NO plans of quitting. Mike's Shoe Shop was on the west side of Reding just south of "Luttell's" barber shop. Mike had pictures all over his shop of Caesar Romero who was either his cousin or uncle!! Barbers were George Luttell, another Luttrell, George somebody, Plase Good etc. The shoe shine man's name was Wallace.

CarltonsKeeper
03-16-2009, 02:15 PM
Anyone remember Del Rio's restaurant on N. May?

grantgeneral78
03-16-2009, 07:19 PM
I got to thinking about casa bonita.....them poor old flags........we wore them puppys out.

Prunepicker
03-16-2009, 08:29 PM
Do any of you remember the barber shop on the west side of Reding Shopping
center, Carroll's barber shop?. He moved to 59th and Klein and his sign is still
there, don't know if he is still cutting hair. My brother (who is 53)used to get
his flat-top hair cut from him. Or the shoe repair shop next to the barber shop

Hey Southside,
You're no Soonergirl26 so don't even try...

Duh... but, and it's a BIG BUT, we're clueless...

SOONERGIRL26 WHERE ARE YOU????

Southsidegirl is driving us crazy... we like her though... WE LIKE HER A
WHOLE LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ATTENTION!

Hey southsidegirl, the awesome and miraculous SOONERGIRL26 has, for
some unknonw reason, has left us. Are you up to taking SOONERGIRL26'S
place? DANGER! You better not say yes!

Prunepicker
03-16-2009, 08:32 PM
Do any of you remember the barber shop on the west side of Reding Shopping
center, Carroll's barber shop?. He moved to 59th and Klein and his sign is still
there, don't know if he is still cutting hair. My brother (who is 53)used to get
his flat-top hair cut from him. Or the shoe repair shop next to the barber shop

Hey Southside,

SOONERGIRL26 WHERE ARE YOU?

WHOLE LOT!

ATTENTION!

some unknonwn reason, left us. Are you up to taking SOONERGIRL26's

I'm crying...

Generals64
03-16-2009, 08:42 PM
Hey Southside,

SOONERGIRL26 WHERE ARE YOU?

WHOLE LOT!

ATTENTION!

some unknonwn reason, left us. Are you up to taking SOONERGIRL26's

I'm crying...

Hey, southside girl was at the last meeting....Rememebr whe was with the Bigh Guy from Southeast and she was from:..........oh my gosh...this is hard...Capitol Hill...Right Southside girl?

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
03-17-2009, 08:19 AM
Yes, I'm a Capitol HIll grad with the SE guy and no I won't take SoonerGirl26's place

Generals64
03-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Yes, I'm a Capitol HIll grad with the SE guy and no I won't take SoonerGirl26's place
Well, we've been shot down again...Hey, tell us some things about Capitol Hill or did people really go to that school???

grantgeneral78
03-17-2009, 08:41 PM
Well, we've been shot down again...Hey, tell us some things about Capitol Hill or did people really go to that school???

wrong thread my friend.......sheesh LOL

Bobby821
03-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Southeast, Capitol Hill and Grant all suck Moore HS is where it's at baby!!! read em and weep boys :bow:

papaOU
03-18-2009, 02:37 PM
How about the Capitol Hill Ice Cream Shop? And next door was the Bama Pie Company. Sam's 5 for $1.00? Brandt's Grocerey?

papaOU
03-18-2009, 02:47 PM
CH Rock Shope is still there!

Generals64
03-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Southeast, Capitol Hill and Grant all suck Moore HS is where it's at baby!!! read em and weep boys :bow:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whoa, where did all that come from????My wife probably taught you how to spell all those words but not intentionally to have you put them together like that...Do you still go to Moore????7th 8th grade???I talked with your uncle and have his home number...He is a GRANT GRADUATE....

grantgeneral78
03-18-2009, 08:05 PM
Whoa, where did all that come from????My wife probably taught you how to spell all those words but not intentionally to have you put them together like that...Do you still go to Moore????7th 8th grade???I talked with your uncle and have his home number...He is a GRANT GRADUATE....

2 funny!

papaOU
03-23-2009, 11:43 PM
The boots popular back in our days was DINGO BOOTS remember them lol..

Were those the ones Hush Puppies made. I would still wear them today if I could find them!!:Smiley036

papaOU
03-23-2009, 11:49 PM
I had to ask my mom what you are talking about cordovans and wingtips....thought maybe that was some type of vintage aircraft!

Your mother wears wingtips??????:LolLolLol

papaOU
03-23-2009, 11:52 PM

Anyone know of a barber shop that gives straight-razor shaves? That's on my bucket-list.

USG '60
03-24-2009, 06:23 AM
I am having a serious senior moment. Where was Talk of the Town? I've gone blank and my wife is still asleep so I can't ask her.

FRISKY
03-24-2009, 07:08 AM
I would still wear them today if I could find them!!:Smiley036I would too! I had a couple pairs in the '70s. Dingos had leather straps across the ankle and metal rings on the sides of the leather straps.

Anyone know of a barber shop that gives straight-razor shaves? That's on my bucket-list.Sorry I don't remember the name, but there is an old barber shop on Main Street in Norman that gives shaves.

CarltonsKeeper
03-24-2009, 07:34 AM
I am having a serious senior moment. Where was Talk of the Town? I've gone blank and my wife is still asleep so I can't ask her.
It was downtown OKC before Urban renewal, wasn't to far from Uncle Sam's Pawn Shop on Broadway! This is vague, BUT, you drove almost into it from either Hudson, Harvey or maybe Broadway. It faced the south.. Don't know if that helps or not!

CarltonsKeeper
03-24-2009, 07:36 AM
Anyone know of a barber shop that gives straight-razor shaves? That's on my bucket-list.
That was Luttrell's Barber shop on the west side of the Reding shopping Center. Carroll Potter was there til' it closed. He is now at S.W. 59th and Klein in a strip Center, called Carroll's Barber shop! He gives a straight razor shave for $9.00...Hope that helps with the beard. LOL!!!!!!

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
03-24-2009, 07:37 AM
papaou.........
My husband's cousin owns the shop at the corner of Main and Broadway in Moore. Remind me to give you the name and number when I see you at Coits Saturday.

Prunepicker
03-24-2009, 10:18 AM
I am having a serious senior moment. Where was Talk of the Town? I've gone
blank and my wife is still asleep so I can't ask her.

There was a truck stop by that name on I-35 just south of Frontier City and
on the east side. It was a good place to eat.

USG '60
03-24-2009, 10:40 AM
I mean the bar and grill, Prune. Carltonskeeper, my wife is now telling me that it was south of the river but I just don't think so. How far south do you recall it being. She also said it faced east but my memory seems to be saying west. Jeeez, my mind is gone. GONE, I tell ya.

Generals64
03-24-2009, 02:17 PM

Yep, there's one in moore....12th & Janeway area... Larry's

CarltonsKeeper
03-24-2009, 06:29 PM
I mean the bar and grill, Prune. Carltonskeeper, my wife is now telling me that it was south of the river but I just don't think so. How far south do you recall it being. She also said it faced east but my memory seems to be saying west. Jeeez, my mind is gone. GONE, I tell ya.
I remember "Talk of the Town" and my favorite "Cock of the Walk." They were not over a couple of blocks apart close to Broadway downtown south of Main! That's all I can remember. I guess my minds going too!!

Prunepicker
03-24-2009, 08:26 PM
I remember "Talk of the Town" and my favorite "Cock of the Walk." They were
not over a couple of blocks apart close to Broadway downtown south of
Main! That's all I can remember. I guess my minds going too!!
There's a Cock of the Walk on N. Western just north of 36th. Is there any
relation?

grantgeneral78
03-24-2009, 08:48 PM

Yeah there is a barber shop in newcastle called old time barber shop he does it.

Prunepicker
03-24-2009, 09:19 PM
Yeah there is a barber shop in newcastle called old time barber shop he does
it.
How long do these straight razor shaves last?

papaOU
03-24-2009, 11:11 PM

I am not sure. I have nerve damage in my right elbow that is causing me to lose control of my hand. I have reached the point where I need help, but have always wanted to at least have one straight razor shave. I was told that there is a shop in Moore owned by a woman and her daughter. Even give hot towel treatments. But after two failed marriages I don't think I could relax or even trust a woman with a razor at my throat.:Smiley275

Generals64
04-01-2009, 01:19 PM
I am not sure. I have nerve damage in my right elbow that is causing me to lose control of my hand. I have reached the point where I need help, but have always wanted to at least have one straight razor shave. I was told that there is a shop in Moore owned by a woman and her daughter. Even give hot towel treatments. But after two failed marriages I don't think I could relax or even trust a woman with a razor at my throat.:Smiley275

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey, there is a barber shop on the corner of 12th/Janeway where they give Straight Razor shaves. Donna's Razor shop gives a Straight Shave...4th street...

papaOU
04-01-2009, 02:16 PM

If the person doing the shaving hick-ups or any other type of quick move it's going to last you a lllllllloooooooooonnnnnnnngggggggggg time.:calvin:

Generals64
04-01-2009, 02:19 PM
If the person doing the shaving hick-ups or any other type of quick move it's going to last you a lllllllloooooooooonnnnnnnngggggggggg time.:calvin:

gusy like me with no neck should definitely stay away from there.....

papaOU
04-01-2009, 11:19 PM
How about a real blast from the past!!! Penny's Hot Tamales!!! Come on now!!! I loved them.

Generals64
04-02-2009, 06:59 AM
How about a real blast from the past!!! Penny's Hot Tamales!!! Come on now!!! I loved them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------Man, you are going way back for Penny's Tamales....That's almost like remembering when Veazey Drug stores didn't rent party equipment.....

grantgeneral78
04-02-2009, 07:02 PM
remember when all you had to say was meet at duffys in the morning and everyone knew what it meant, right down by the ole prarie field!

papaOU
04-02-2009, 09:41 PM
Sheen Drugs!!

Prunepicker
04-03-2009, 09:06 AM
you are going way back for Penny's Tamales... That's almost like remembering
when Veazey Drug stores didn't rent party equipment...

Where was Penny's Tamales?

I knew Bill Veazey.

OKCisOK4me
04-03-2009, 01:21 PM
See if you can help me out here. I remember this place inside of Northpark Mall in the early 1980's. It was near the movie theatre I think. I don't remember what kind of store it was but it had this cool slide in it for us kids & when you slid down the slide you actually exited outside of the store into the main walkway. Anybody have a clue as to what I'm referring to?

papaOU
04-03-2009, 02:24 PM
Where was Penny's Tamales?

I knew Bill Veazey.

Penny's Tamales were sold by "vendors" riding bicycles which were modified and had a large "hot box" on the front that kept the tamales warm. Guys would ride around neighborhoods selling tamales.
Remember when Veazey's in Capitol Hill was Katz Drug. Wonder why Katz sold out? Did they go broke?

Generals64
04-03-2009, 04:29 PM
Penny's Tamales were sold by "vendors" riding bicycles which were modified and had a large "hot box" on the front that kept the tamales warm. Guys would ride around neighborhoods selling tamales.
Remember when Veazey's in Capitol Hill was Katz Drug. Wonder why Katz sold out? Did they go broke?
I didn't remember Veazey's being where Katz Drug was. I think they just sold out and quit...Their last store was Downtown...I thought that Langston's took the building over right after Katz Quit...I do remember Sheen Drug and I remember Bill Veazey when he was the Pharmacist at the Airline Shopping Center.....

Prunepicker
04-03-2009, 04:48 PM
I didn't remember Veazey's being where Katz Drug was.

I don't remember Veazey's being in Capitol Hill, either.

Generals64
04-03-2009, 05:05 PM
I don't remember Veazey's being in Capitol Hill, either.

I think Bill started out in the Airline Center on 29th st...

Prunepicker
04-03-2009, 05:10 PM
I think Bill started out in the Airline Center on 29th st...

He reminds me of this guy who sold flowers at Cassidy Square and later
had a 50% sale.

Generals64
04-03-2009, 05:16 PM
He reminds me of this guy who sold flowers at Cassidy Square and later
had a 50% sale.

Now that guy was "Slick". He knew his customer base and how to attract the right people there....Very handsome young man and was built to perfection....Used to know that guy but can't remember his name...By the way, Does your chewing gum lose it's flavor on the bed post over night??....Man, I went back to work today ...too much sun....

OKCisOK4me
04-03-2009, 08:32 PM
See if you can help me out here. I remember this place inside of Northpark Mall in the early 1980's. It was near the movie theatre I think. I don't remember what kind of store it was but it had this cool slide in it for us kids & when you slid down the slide you actually exited outside of the store into the main walkway. Anybody have a clue as to what I'm referring to?

Okay, I'm quoting my own quote because it seems to have gotten involved in a hit n' run by other topics within the thread. Thanks for any answers!

Prunepicker
04-03-2009, 08:38 PM
Okay, I'm quoting my own quote because it seems to have gotten involved in
a hit n' run by other topics within the thread. Thanks for any answers!

I can't help you.

Generals64
04-04-2009, 07:29 AM
Okay, I'm quoting my own quote because it seems to have gotten involved in a hit n' run by other topics within the thread. Thanks for any answers!
Sorry, just picking on Prunepicker....I hate to admit it but I really don't know where NorthPark Mall is except in Arlington, Texas....Someone help me out I know there's one here but where????Generals64

CarltonsKeeper
04-04-2009, 08:27 AM
I didn't remember Veazey's being where Katz Drug was. I think they just sold out and quit...Their last store was Downtown...I thought that Langston's took the building over right after Katz Quit...I do remember Sheen Drug and I remember Bill Veazey when he was the Pharmacist at the Airline Shopping Center.....
What was the drug store in Reding Shopping Center just south of TG&Y and next door to Humpty Dumpty? Was it a Veazey's or Harvey's or what????????????????Had a fountain and grill at the very back of the store!

OKCisOK4me
04-04-2009, 08:30 AM
Sorry, just picking on Prunepicker....I hate to admit it but I really don't know where NorthPark Mall is except in Arlington, Texas....Someone help me out I know there's one here but where????Generals64

SE corner of NW 122nd & N. May Avenue

BoomerSooner50
04-04-2009, 10:54 AM
I remember - oh so many good places:

Glens Hickory Inn - the best steakhouse as far as I'm concerned
Kips Big Boy on S. Western
Across the Street Restaurant - the BEST Spaghetti Red in the universe
Katherine Lipes - clothing store
John A. Browns - wonderful classy place
Streets
Tastee Freeze
TG & Y
Rudys Grocery Store on SW 59th
El Fenix Mexican Restaurant in Crossroads Mall
Paul Harris Clothing Store
Hillcrest Drive In
Twittys Hamburger Restaurant - believe it was on S. Western, maybe Walker, I knew the Twittys - actually their name was Jenkins, I went to school with Kathy, met Conway and his wife, boy was that a long time ago!!!!
US Grant High School - came back for an illness - then death in the family and saw that the school was gone -only to my relief that it had just been torn down and rebuilt - loved them Generals - spent 4 years in that school.

Generals64
04-04-2009, 12:46 PM
What was the drug store in Reding Shopping Center just south of TG&Y and next door to Humpty Dumpty? Was it a Veazey's or Harvey's or what????????????????Had a fountain and grill at the very back of the store!
Where have you been????I think it was Harvey's wasn't it???Thought I would see you at the Car show today....

papaOU
04-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Where have you been????I think it was Harvey's wasn't it???Thought I would see you at the Car show today....

maybe he was ducking you!!!!