View Full Version : What old business do you remember in OKC?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22]

soonergeezer
08-05-2014, 11:56 AM
If you actually placed a metaphorical or analogical bet in this context . . . you lose. (I remember =)

(Dang! This total recall ain't what it's cracked up to be! ~ Arnold Schwartnegger, "The Big Book of Clichés, Pt. 2: The Paraphrases) =)

Lets test your memory again, do you remember when the Red Dog had a club in Nichols Hills, on Western between 63rd and Wilshire, east side of the road?

bluedogok
08-05-2014, 12:01 PM
I'll bet no on remembers when Maxey's had a motorcycle store on Broadway ext. It was on the east side of Broad. ext. between Wilshire and nw 63rd. Even before that they had a store in the shopping center where Johnnies hamburgers on Britton rd, is now, on the far east side of the shopping center.
The 39th location is the only one that I remember. I do know before they picked up Yamaha we would buy parts at Buck's Yamaha at NW 65th & May where Sweet Memories (I think) is/was located. We also bought some Yamaha parts at a dealer on NW 39th in the downtown area of Yukon.

Sub Stop moved from 36th and Macarthur to 2nd. I ate there often, and one day came by and they were gone. They gave no warning, or very little they were moving.
There were several Sub Stops around town at one time, one next to the old Sammy's Pizza on North Western between 63rd & Wilshire. I think there was one just south of Britton Rd on May for a short time. I thought Subs Etc. at Hefner & Penn was pretty good. In Norman I thought a place with a unique sandwich was Dave's Hole in the Wall Pizza and Subs in the Campus Corner area.

soonergeezer
08-05-2014, 01:21 PM
The only Neptunes I remember eating at a lot was on NW 16th and Rockewell. I loved their roast beef subs slightly warmed up.

My favorite was the roast beef with swiss cheese lettuce and that great Italian oil they made themselves. I ate at the one on n. MAY at 63rd.

soonergeezer
08-05-2014, 01:31 PM
The 39th location is the only one that I remember. I do know before they picked up Yamaha we would buy parts at Buck's Yamaha at NW 65th & May where Sweet Memories (I think) is/was located. We also bought some Yamaha parts at a dealer on NW 39th in the downtown area of Yukon.

There were several Sub Stops around town at one time, one next to the old Sammy's Pizza on North Western between 63rd & Wilshire. I think there was one just south of Britton Rd on May for a short time. I thought Subs Etc. at Hefner & Penn was pretty good. In Norman I thought a place with a unique sandwich was Dave's Hole in the Wall Pizza and Subs in the Campus Corner area.

There was also a Sub Stop at 122nd and May, northwest corner, they weren't there very long.

Jim Kyle
08-05-2014, 02:06 PM
I also remember taking my 450 Honda to an area close to where UPS on I-40 is now and climbing a really steep hill with about 75 or 80 other people, there was always a bunch of people there riding dirt bikes. The hill and the whole area was destroyed when they built I-40.You've reminded me of the "Motorcycle hills" area between Western and Santa Fe, between NW 50 and Deep Fork, now occupied by I-44. In the late 40s and early 50s, it was THE place for hill climbs, using little bikes like the Famous James (around 250 cc as I recall). The inclines approached an angle of 60 degrees and it wasn't uncommon for an inexperienced rider to do an inadvertent backward somersault if he didn't give it enough throttle at the critical moment!

ctchandler
08-05-2014, 02:09 PM
Soonergeezer,
Was it Gandara Buick?
C. T.
I don't remember details, but they did sell Buicks and Opal Gts.

Jim Kyle
08-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Gandara Buick was on N May, just south of NW 63, where the Braum's is now located. Before that, Jack Clark Dodge and Plymouth was located there...

ctchandler
08-05-2014, 02:19 PM
Bluedogok,
Wasn't that a "Subs and Stuff"? I worked in the Hertz building on Penn, just South of Hefner. I ate there lots of times but I don't remember Subs Etc. It might have changed after I moved to the Data Center on NW Expressway and MacArthur.
C. T.
The 39th l I thought Subs Etc. at Hefner & Penn was pretty good.

soonergeezer
08-05-2014, 02:30 PM
Soonergeezer,
Was it Gandara Buick?
C. T.
Yes, but I think that was after they moved to n May just south of nw 63rd.

soonergeezer
08-05-2014, 03:17 PM
Gandara Buick was on N May, just south of NW 63, where the Braum's is now located. Before that, Jack Clark Dodge and Plymouth was located there...
I think the father of the current Cable VW owners had a Chrysler dealership at that same location. They had a commercial with a cable car bell ringing.

bluedogok
08-05-2014, 05:13 PM
Bluedogok,
Wasn't that a "Subs and Stuff"? I worked in the Hertz building on Penn, just South of Hefner. I ate there lots of times but I don't remember Subs Etc. It might have changed after I moved to the Data Center on NW Expressway and MacArthur.
C. T.
Yes it was for a long time, not sure where I got the Etc. name.

SoonerExile
08-06-2014, 07:31 PM
Thank you. I love the great collection of history represented here !

tfvc.org
08-07-2014, 05:01 PM
My grandpa had a hardware store called Stan-Way on SE 57th and Shields in the 2 tone brown brick building on the North East side. I went in there recently and now it is some guy doing furniture restoration. I still have a ton of pencils, incoice receipts, and flat head screwdriver key chain promotional stuff with the name and address on them.

RadicalModerate
08-07-2014, 05:35 PM
Your mention of an old hardware store reminded me of a couple of places I used to visit, from time to time, though neither of them was technically in OKC. One was the Original Evans (ace) Hardware down around 15th and Douglas or Midwest Blvd. and the other was Koelsch's Hardware over there in the vicinity of 10th and SoonerAirDepot. Both CLASSIC, old-school, examples of what Hardware Stores used to be.

Koelsch's had a slogan on an old, hand painted sign in the vicinity of the place: "If We Don't Have It, You Don't Need It"

Gee . . . Somehow I just thought of Bollenger's Books on May Ave.
At that time it was almost like a trip across the country to pay them a visit.
Now, where it used to be, is about five minutes away.

Tritone
08-07-2014, 08:27 PM
Koelsch Hardware was a neat place. There is another old-style hadware store that's worth a look. It's the store on the north edge of Newcastle, two miles south of Tri-City on US 62. It's a step back into yesteryear.

Here's another oddity about Koelsch. It sits on the corner of Reno and Sooner Road where a railroad crosses diagonally through the center of the intersection. Any takers on the other two OKC intersections with tracks running diagonally through them? Hint: They're both intersections of section lines. (Now watch, these folks will name a couple more that I don't know about.)

ctchandler
08-07-2014, 09:25 PM
RM,
The sign says "If we don't have it or we can't get, you don't need it". I live just off of Sooner and 122nd, so I traded there often. By the way, the sign (actually it's painted on the building) is still there.
C. T.
Your mention of an old hardware store reminded me of a couple of places I used to visit, from time to time, though neither of them was technically in OKC. One was the Original Evans (ace) Hardware down around 15th and Douglas or Midwest Blvd. and the other was Koelsch's Hardware over there in the vicinity of 10th and SoonerAirDepot. Both CLASSIC, old-school, examples of what Hardware Stores used to be.

Koelsch's had a slogan on an old, hand painted sign in the vicinity of the place: "If We Don't Have It, You Don't Need It"

Gee . . . Somehow I just thought of Bollenger's Books on May Ave.
At that time it was almost like a trip across the country to pay them a visit.
Now, where it used to be, is about five minutes away.

ctchandler
08-07-2014, 09:26 PM
Tritone,
How about Western and Britton for one? I can't think of another one.
C. T.
Koelsch Hardware was a neat place. There is another old-style hadware store that's worth a look. It's the store on the north edge of Newcastle, two miles south of Tri-City on US 62. It's a step back into yesteryear.

Here's another oddity about Koelsch. It sits on the corner of Reno and Sooner Road where a railroad crosses diagonally through the center of the intersection. Any takers on the other two OKC intersections with tracks running diagonally through them? Hint: They're both intersections of section lines. (Now watch, these folks will name a couple more that I don't know about.)

RadicalModerate
08-07-2014, 10:24 PM

Sounds like Koelsch picked exactly the right place to set up shop. =)

One of the things about the place was that it reminded me of my 'first childhood'--one that involved shopping at a little spot in Olde Boulder, CO, called Valentine's Hardware, at the intersection of Broadway and (pre-Mall) Pearl Street, right across from [Reinhart's] Clothing Store that purveyed Cub Scout and Boy Scout Uniform stuff in the basement.

Valentine's Hardware store had some inferior, unsafe steps, also leading down to the basement.
One time I noticed neglected boxes of dynamite on the shelves adjacent to the neglected staircase.

Koelshe's termite ridden wooden floors--even back in the '70s--reminded me of that.
Even in my second childhood . . .
Looking to grab some nails from the barrels thereof
And learn, again, how to use an analog scale
Then personally bag the quantity
Measured . . . =)

Before you jump to conclusions, remember:
Back then, as a little kid,
You could still buy Cherry Bombs, Silver Salutes, and M-80s legally.
There was no angst involved.
Nor any real desire to destroy.
Or to actually hurt anyone.
It was kind of a more real world.

(may I apologize, in advance, for that verbiage?
I'm still a bit concerned about the apparent lack of
knife control on a playground somewhere)

RadicalModerate
08-07-2014, 10:45 PM
Tritone,
How about Western and Britton for one? I can't think of another one.
C. T.

That's a lumberyard. It ain't a hardware store. =)

Jim Kyle
08-07-2014, 11:27 PM
Well, one of them is Britton Road and Western. Can't think of the other one though...

Mel
08-07-2014, 11:36 PM
The Big Giant Big Green Warehouse. Around SW 29th. and Portland. I worked for Don Fox.

Tritone
08-08-2014, 07:22 AM
Yes, Western and Britton is one...

soonergeezer
08-08-2014, 09:46 AM

There was a lumberyard at 1001 Britton Road, Long-Bell, and there was one in the 9200 block of Western, Western lumber was the name. These were both in the 60s, I'm not sure about earlier or later.

RadicalModerate
08-08-2014, 10:23 AM
There was a lumberyard at 1001 Britton Road, Long-Bell, and there was one in the 9200 block of Western, Western lumber was the name. These were both in the 60s, I'm not sure about earlier or later.

Well . . . I certainly can't argue with that. =)

Didn't there used to be an Owl Court Motel or something like it just east of the intersection?
Immediately adjacent to the (actual) original, documented path of Historic Route 66?
(what some, today, might describe as a raggedy-arse stretch of asphalt on the fringes of the Metro?)

Didn't the owner of the Western Memorabilia Store just south of there try to fix it up?
In addition to fixing up that old theater--there on Britton Road, a little to the east of Western and Britton?
Every time I drive through what used to be Britton, Oklahoma, I think:
This could be restored to meet even the most demanding "needs" of Neo-Urbanistas.
It already has sidewalks. =)

Yet, somehow the imaginary money to realize The Vision remains illusive. =)

Sorry . . . I digressed.
I don't remember ever visiting a Hardware Store in Britton.

ctchandler
08-08-2014, 03:12 PM
RM,
He didn't mention hardware stores in his question, just "Any takers on the other two OKC intersections with tracks running diagonally through them?". It just happened that the conversation started because Koelsch is at an intersection with the tracks as he described.
C. T.

Tritone
08-08-2014, 09:40 PM
Time's up! N.E. 10th St. and Martin Luther King Blvd.

soonergeezer
08-08-2014, 11:49 PM
Well . . . I certainly can't argue with that. =)

Didn't there used to be an Owl Court Motel or something like it just east of the intersection?
Immediately adjacent to the (actual) original, documented path of Historic Route 66?
(what some, today, might describe as a raggedy-arse stretch of asphalt on the fringes of the Metro?)

Didn't the owner of the Western Memorabilia Store just south of there try to fix it up?
In addition to fixing up that old theater--there on Britton Road, a little to the east of Western and Britton?
Every time I drive through what used to be Britton, Oklahoma, I think:
This could be restored to meet even the most demanding "needs" of Neo-Urbanistas.
It already has sidewalks. =)

Yet, somehow the imaginary money to realize The Vision remains illusive. =)

Sorry . . . I digressed.
I don't remember ever visiting a Hardware Store in Britton.

. Pretty much everything you mentioned rings true. The area within 2 miles in all directions from Britton and Western has dramatically changed since I lived in that part of the city. Almost every business is gone, even as late as the last part of the 80s. I knew many people and frequented many businesses in that part of town, but most are gone. I heard that they were going to demolish the old John Marshall building(if they haven't already).

Achilleslastand
08-09-2014, 12:23 AM
. Pretty much everything you mentioned rings true. The area within 2 miles in all directions from Britton and Western has dramatically changed since I lived in that part of the city. Almost every business is gone, even as late as the last part of the 80s. I knew many people and frequented many businesses in that part of town, but most are gone. I heard that they were going to demolish the old John Marshall building(if they haven't already).

Yes the old JMHS is still there and quite the eyesore.

boscorama
08-09-2014, 06:57 PM
The Owl Court motel is still there.

LawtonsHome
03-01-2016, 10:40 AM
Location was east of where the Salvation Army is located now. Yes, it was in a quonsat Hut and the other metal structures around. The building consisted of three buildings total. When the now AMC Flea Market was there I had a store in the current building. But, after TG&Y closed I worked in sales and called on the owners of the now defunct AMC (American Candy Company...or...American Mutual company) it was owned by the Homsey brothers....They were "tough" buyers and if they couldn't get it for their price they wouldn't buy. You got your I.D. card when you turned 13. I never did know why the significance of age 13 was....

I am doing research on the American Mutual Company (AMC) and would be interested in a photograph of an old membership card. Does anyone out there have their old membership card and would be willing to photograph it and post a copy? Blank out the signature for security purposes of course; I just want to see what the front and the back of card look like. Also any stories you'd be willing to share about AMC. Thanks!

grantgeneral78
09-20-2016, 10:50 AM
The old taste freeze that was on sw 59th and may was my place to hang out as a kid. They had great food and ice cream!

ctchandler
09-20-2016, 07:30 PM
The old taste freeze that was on sw 59th and may was my place to hang out as a kid. They had great food and ice cream!

GrantGeneral,
Tastee Freeze was my favorite place for sundaes. I especially liked the blueberry sundae.
C. T.

whorton
12-28-2016, 02:37 AM
Speaking of hardware stores, there used to be a little place between 22nd and 23rd street on Agnew, called Drive-in Hardware. Painted an odd shade of green. . . Discovered it as a small youth in the mid to late 60's. Seems they had just about everything you could ever need. . . and then some. Seems like they went out of business about the same time everything else in that area died, around 1990. Sadly, that neighborhood had undergone a slow decent into urban disquiet into an area that I would not be caught in after dark. We had moved out of the area in 73, just about the time the infamous Finger plan was about to be implemented. Apparently, none of my former classmates seemed to have much nice to say about the school system afterward (I had started at Jackson).

USG67
01-03-2017, 12:19 PM
I haven't read through the entire thread but was wondering if anyone mentioned Jack's Steakhouse on Penn about 59th Street

ctchandler
01-05-2017, 10:18 AM
I used to go to a place called Subway Deli. I seem to remember that it started on Northwest Expressway across from Integris/Baptist hospital, then they moved to Northwest Expressway in the building that is now Fazoli's. That building was also a small TGIF's, long before the current TGIF's came to OKC. Subway Deli moved to 10th and Meridian where Zapata's is currently located. Didn't the owners of Subway Deli become a local restaurant group, like Hal Smith? I don't have a clue what they named it if in fact they did expand. They were on our weekly rotation for lunch when I worked at Hertz. Hated to see them move to Meridian but we still went there fairly often. After several years they closed the one on Meridian. I believe this was between the early 80's to the early 90'.
C. T.

Roger S
01-05-2017, 10:37 AM
I used to go to a place called Subway Deli.

Yep... Used to go to the one on Meridian in the early 90's regularly when I worked in that area.... They had a killer cheesesteak sandwich!

Jeepnokc
01-08-2017, 08:31 AM
The Subway Deli I remembered was owned by Paul Seikel and his group. It was located at 1309 S. Meridian which then became an Arby's. This was approximately 1990 time frame. I was working at Chili's and we would go there after our day shift and drink beer. I confirmed the address with this old news story about health inspections and included it here because it lists a bunch of old circa 1992 restaurants http://newsok.com/article/2411611

ctchandler
01-08-2017, 11:46 AM
The Subway Deli I remembered was owned by Paul Seikel and his group. It was located at 1309 S. Meridian which then became an Arby's. This was approximately 1990 time frame. I was working at Chili's and we would go there after our day shift and drink beer. I confirmed the address with this old news story about health inspections and included it here because it lists a bunch of old circa 1992 restaurants http://newsok.com/article/2411611

Jeepnokc,
Paul Seikel! I couldn't remember that name. I am fairly certain his wife was pregnant when they left Northwest Expressway. Same people, I ate often at the one on Northwest expressway, and not quite as often (distance problem) on Meridian, but it was on the East side of Meridian when I ate there and as I said, it is now Zapata's. The first restaurant that moved into the Subway Deli/Zapata's location (after Subway Deli left) was Pearl's Cajun Kitchen. I'm not doubting you, they probably did move again further South and on the West side of Meridian.
C. T.

Jeepnokc
01-08-2017, 11:49 AM
Jeepnokc,
Paul Seikel! I couldn't remember that name. I am fairly certain his wife was pregnant when they left Northwest Expressway. Same people, I ate often at the one on Northwest expressway, and not quite as often (distance problem) on Meridian, but it was on the East side of Meridian when I ate there and as I said, it is now Zapata's. The first restaurant that moved into the Subway Deli/Zapata's location was Pearl's Cajun Kitchen. I'm not doubting you, they probably did move again further South and on the West side of Meridian.
C. T.

No, you are correct on location. They moved from the 1309 location to that location then closed and became the Cajun kitchen if I remember correctly. Never understood why it closed as it was a great deli that seemed to stay busy.

ctchandler
01-08-2017, 04:31 PM
No, you are correct on location. They moved from the 1309 location to that location then closed and became the Cajun kitchen if I remember correctly. Never understood why it closed as it was a great deli that seemed to stay busy.

Jeep,
I searched the DOK archives and they did in fact move from 1309 to a building they built and were open as the Subway Deli for a couple of years, then it closed and was reopened as Pearl's. I also found this about the Northwest Expressway location - "Then there was TGIF ... the first model store for a big chain expansion," Seikel said. "Tough times came in the Texas economy and they dropped the whole project. We finally negotiated a deal to take it over," Seikel said of the former TGIF". This was their second location and was opened while they were still at 1309. I found several things, but too much to post, if you are interested, search the DOK archives with the exact phrase option for "subway deli" and you see several articles including a robbery.
C. T.

rezman
01-09-2017, 07:09 AM
All this talk of Subway Deli reminds me of Neptunes Submarine Sandwiches. I know they had Multiple locations. I used to frequent the one on N. Meridian by 63rd.

RadicalModerate
01-09-2017, 08:41 AM
I remember that "Subway Deli" across from Baptist Hospital and how good it seemed compared to the Subways that exist today. Besides better sandwiches they also had some good sides like potato and macaroni salad, plus the interior of the place was much nicer with hanging plants and so forth.

ctchandler
01-09-2017, 06:46 PM
I remember that "Subway Deli" across from Baptist Hospital and how good it seemed compared to the Subways that exist today. Besides better sandwiches they also had some good sides like potato and macaroni salad, plus the interior of the place was much nicer with hanging plants and so forth.

RM,
Thank you sir! I was certain that I went to the one across from Baptist Hospital but nobody seems to remember it and I couldn't find it in the DOK archives. With your post, I'm convinced that I'm not senile. Well, not very much anyway. I went there until they moved West to the building that is now Fazoli's. Now, the tough question, what building were they in? It was either the old Crockett's BBQ, or the Across the Street restaurant (I think?). By the way, there was not any connection to Subway. They were Subway Deli and I believe it was before there were any "Subway" fast food restaurants.
Subway Deli was not fast food.
C. T.

RadicalModerate
01-10-2017, 04:36 PM
I did a little research. The name of the place on the NW Expressway was actually Sub-Way Deli and Grill. It was opened by Paul Seikel and his wife in the pre-Pearl's Oyster Bar days. This probably helps explain, in part, why it was so much better than the OTHER Subway. (gleaned that tidbit of trivia from a book by Dave Cathey on Classic OKC Restaurants). I'm pretty sure that the building it was in is long gone as it looks like that entire block was redeveloped at some point. I estimate its former location to be about where Google shows a Panera.

Jim Kyle
01-16-2017, 05:49 PM
I'm pretty sure that the building it was in is long gone as it looks like that entire block was redeveloped at some point. I estimate its former location to be about where Google shows a Panera.Actually, almost no buildings on that block have been replaced since the late 60s/early 70s, though the Starbuck's on the corner was added. Back then, the building now housing Conn's was the Hilander Lanes and the bowling alley occupied the entire building. The building immediately to its west was an Across The Street, and later a Crockett's. I don't remember the Sub-Way but it might have been the next building to the west.

All of these buildings WERE radically remodeled over the past almost-50 years, but nothing has been razed.

ctchandler
01-19-2017, 03:24 PM
One of the businesses I remember well was Emmer Brothers, where my mother took me for shoes and other clothing items, jeans, shirts, et al. They were on SouthWest 25th near Walker. I just saw the obituary of what was likely a son of the original Emmer brothers. He worked there after military service he worked there. He's too young (born in 1937) to have been one of the founders.
C. T.

Willb
02-16-2017, 02:28 PM
I apologise if this has already been mentioned, but does anyone remember Dockum Pontiac up on NW Expressway between Meridian and MacArthur?

One of the salesmen they had there in the late 80's bore quite a resemblance to Ted Danson.

Boomer3791
02-24-2017, 09:28 AM
One of my favorite old restaurants in OKC was Stampede, which was at 63rd and May. They had a huge slide and a mechanical bull and served rattlesnake burgers! This was back in the late 70's / early 80's "rhinestone cowboy" days. I only ever went during the day with my parents. I'm sure it was a hoot after dark!

TheTravellers
02-24-2017, 01:30 PM
One of my favorite old restaurants in OKC was Stampede, which was at 63rd and May. They had a huge slide and a mechanical bull and served rattlesnake burgers! This was back in the late 70's / early 80's "rhinestone cowboy" days. I only ever went during the day with my parents. I'm sure it was a hoot after dark!

Interesting! I lived a block east of May on NW 67th from 65 (birth) - 82 and don't remember that place, sounds like someplace we would've gone. Where exactly was it?

Boomer3791
02-27-2017, 08:38 AM
Interesting! I lived a block east of May on NW 67th from 65 (birth) - 82 and don't remember that place, sounds like someplace we would've gone. Where exactly was it?

It was where the Big Lots is now.

TheTravellers
02-28-2017, 10:50 AM
It was where the Big Lots is now.

Hmmm, right next door to where Peaches Records was, I believe. Still don't remember it, have to ask my mom if she does, thx...

SOCALSooner
06-12-2017, 07:23 AM
Anyone remember the location of Doctor's General Hospital?

bchris02
11-01-2022, 04:17 PM

Working on this asset in Cities Skylines. These gas stations used to be all over OKC in the 90s but disappeared sometime around 2000.

securityinfo
11-01-2022, 06:16 PM

Working on this asset in Cities Skylines. These gas stations used to be all over OKC in the 90s but disappeared sometime around 2000.

I remember those. My favorite fuel station in OKC was the Onan Self-Service gas station on Britton Rd. I don't know if the owner understood the context of the name, but I got a laugh every time I drove by :-)

Gus the Dog
11-02-2022, 12:51 PM
Subway also had a restaurant on South Meridian, first on the west then moved south and then south and to the east side of Meridian. They had great onion burgers and the Kinzer Salad. I understood his wife ran the restaurants.