View Full Version : What old business do you remember in OKC?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22

Prunepicker
02-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Are you referring to N.W. 36th & Walker across from the Church with
the large fountain?
It was on the same side of the street and just west.

Prunepicker
02-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Priddy's? Is that the same Priddy's chili and pimiento cheese spread I
used to see in Safeway and Humpty Dumpty?
Yes.

Prunepicker
02-02-2012, 09:24 PM
McMahan's was west of the church. If not Walker, maybe Dewey?
Either way, it was situated on 36th, facing south.
N. Walker.

Jim Kyle
02-02-2012, 09:35 PM
If I remember correctly, no it's not -- but it's close. Louis Priddy, who operated the establishments in OKC, was a member of the Priddy family from Ardmore. I worked in Ardmore for a year before coming back to OKC, and at one time I asked Mr. Priddy whether he had any connection to the folk down there. His relatives in southern Oklahoma operated some larger restaurants, and produced the chili and pimiento cheese spread that local supermarkets carried. His recipes were very similar to those the rest of his family used, however...

CarltonsKeeper
02-03-2012, 10:13 AM
N. Walker.

The reason I ask is that my Dad and a couple of guys built a Dairy Boy (4 total) and one was on N.W. 36th on or near the N.W. corner of Walker! This would have been around 1957 - could this be the same bldg?? It was on 36th and faced South!!

Prunepicker
02-03-2012, 05:02 PM
The reason I ask is that my Dad and a couple of guys built a Dairy Boy
(4 total) and one was on N.W. 36th on or near the N.W. corner of
Walker! This would have been around 1957 - could this be the same
bldg?? It was on 36th and faced South!!
Yes. Except for the name you couldn't tell the difference.

boscorama
02-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Where were the other Dairy Boys your father built?

Wondering if Dairy Boy and Dairy Queen, Dairy Maid, etc, were all related somehow. Do any remain in the city? The most recent one I remember was the DQ on NW 23 in the 'uptown' area, my first exposure to the Brazier brand. Last time I got a DQ footlong (not in OKC) it was actually two shorter ones in a single bun, and I'm telling you it rwas rather gross.

Anyone recall Jim's Grocery at NE 63 & Kelly, an early day convenience store. Actually, to me it was a candy store, like Kitchen's Korner at 50th & Eastern.. East of Kelly was an A&W with it's Papa, Mama, Teen, and Baby Burgers. The parking lot asphalt is still there, I do believe.

Also on 63rd: Big Chief Drilling Co, The White House, Ramada Inn.

Howard Johnson on Lincoln near the overpass at US 66 Highway. Congress Inn, Thunderbird Inn, on 66.

Prunepicker
02-03-2012, 09:05 PM
Wondering if Dairy Boy and Dairy Queen, Dairy Maid, etc, were all related somehow.
Not Dairy Queen. That was and still is it's own company. There was a Dairy Boy
outside of Sapulpa I'd stop at in the 70's.

Prunepicker
02-03-2012, 09:09 PM
Also on 63rd... The White House...
Had a friend who bought, or leased, the White House in the early 80's.
Norma owned Hoagy's Road House in the basement of the Tiffany House.
Barney Kessell would play there on occasion. The White House didn't
work out for her.

Was it originally a residence? It had all the evidence of one. 3 stories
and a basement.

ljbab728
02-03-2012, 09:41 PM
Was it originally a residence? It had all the evidence of one. 3 stories
and a basement.

Yes, it was originally a residence. I ate there a number of times and from the interior it was very obvious that it had been a residence.

CarltonsKeeper
02-04-2012, 03:54 AM
Where were the other Dairy Boys your father built?

Wondering if Dairy Boy and Dairy Queen, Dairy Maid, etc, were all related somehow. Do any remain in the city? The most recent one I remember was the DQ on NW 23 in the 'uptown' area, my first exposure to the Brazier brand. Last time I got a DQ footlong (not in OKC) it was actually two shorter ones in a single bun, and I'm telling you it rwas rather gross.

Anyone recall Jim's Grocery at NE 63 & Kelly, an early day convenience store. Actually, to me it was a candy store, like Kitchen's Korner at 50th & Eastern.. East of Kelly was an A&W with it's Papa, Mama, Teen, and Baby Burgers. The parking lot asphalt is still there, I do believe.

Also on 63rd: Big Chief Drilling Co, The White House, Ramada Inn.

Howard Johnson on Lincoln near the overpass at US 66 Highway. Congress Inn, Thunderbird Inn, on 66.

The original was S.W. 19th and Penn which was a part of the Hansen-Atlee Dairy (Harry Atlee & Leonard Hansen) which were his partners. The others were 36th & N. Walker, 7000 Block of N. Western and downtown McCloud, Ok!! My Dad kept the McCloud store after they split up and sold to an employee a couple of years later! I was thinking maybe Harry Atlee started the Dairy Boy franchises but I'm no at all for sure on that!

BlackmoreRulz
02-04-2012, 06:26 AM
Little change of topic...anyone remember Foosball? I spent a lot of my teenage years playing the game around OKC. A few different game rooms that I recall:

First place I remember playing the game was at a place at 59th & Blackwelder called "The Had Matter" which was at the other end of the stripmall from a headshop called "The Mad Hatter".

Malibu Game Room in Moore, west of Janeway on 12th St
Papa Fooz also in Moore at 12th & Santa Fe
Toronado was on Penn and about 54th or so on the east side of the road
Another place that I can't remember the name of at 74th & Penn, was in the same space that Sound Warehouse occupied for awhile
One at about 42nd & S May, again can't remember the name of the place, was ran by a guy from India...went to McDonalds one time for him...he ordered a Big Mac hold the meat :)
The Game Room, was on NW 10th between Meridian & McArthur on the north side of the street, I think it was in the same center as where Hobby Lobby offices were
Cactus Jacks at 10th & council
Another little place that was open all night at around NW 16th & Blackwelder

Pool Halls of about the same era:

Clyde's Cue on 59th east of Western on the south side of the road
Capitol Cue on 29th between Western and Penn
Trueloves at 44th and May

Ahh the memories of a misspent youth..............

Prunepicker
02-04-2012, 02:45 PM
The original was S.W. 19th and Penn which was a part of the Hansen-
Atlee Dairy (Harry Atlee & Leonard Hansen) which were his partners.
The others were 36th & N. Walker, 7000 Block of N. Western and
downtown McCloud, Ok!! My Dad kept the McCloud store after they
split up and sold to an employee a couple of years later! I was thinking
maybe Harry Atlee started the Dairy Boy franchises but I'm no at all for
sure on that!
Wasn't there a Dairy Boy in Supulpa on 66 just west of town? I
thought there were several in the smaller towns around the state.

CarltonsKeeper
02-05-2012, 08:39 AM
Wasn't there a Dairy Boy in Supulpa on 66 just west of town? I
thought there were several in the smaller towns around the state.

Yes, they were all over the state! In fact they just closed the one in Lexington, Ok a few years back! When i started Grant in about 1959 there was one across the street from school - S.W. 48th and Penn!!

ctchandler
02-05-2012, 10:41 AM
CarltonsKeeper,
That wasn't the "dump" that we walked across Penn to have lunch was it? I say dump, I think they had dirt floors but I might be wrong. Seems like it was a little South of Grant.
C. T.

Yes, they were all over the state! In fact they just closed the one in Lexington, Ok a few years back! When i started Grant in about 1959 there was one across the street from school - S.W. 48th and Penn!!

Dollie
02-05-2012, 11:16 AM
I loved Otasco, and had so much fun working for them from 1964 to 1972 Del City, store 70, N.E. 23rd store # 48, & 3406 S.W. 29th in Air line shopping center.

Dollie
02-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Kerr's, In redding shopping center, also Down Town & in Sheppard Mall, Dillards came to town & bought them out. Streets, Peyton Marcus, in Capital hill & down town. Those go a way back like me.

CarltonsKeeper
02-06-2012, 06:48 AM
CarltonsKeeper,
That wasn't the "dump" that we walked across Penn to have lunch was it? I say dump, I think they had dirt floors but I might be wrong. Seems like it was a little South of Grant.
C. T.

It was a dump, right on the corner of 48th & Penn - s.w. corner facing Grant on Penn!!

ctchandler
02-06-2012, 08:54 AM
CarltonsKeeper,
I meant to say North of Grant on the Northwest corner of 48th and Penn.
C. T.

CarltonsKeeper
02-06-2012, 02:10 PM
CarltonsKeeper,
I meant to say North of Grant on the Northwest corner of 48th and Penn.
C. T.

Southwest corner!! A Church was always on the Northwest corner, still there...

grantgeneral78
02-12-2012, 01:36 AM
Where Dr. Mauldins office was?

CarltonsKeeper
02-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Where Dr. Mauldins office was?

Exactly!!!

terryinokc
02-28-2012, 03:55 PM
The Club Burgundy and Sweet Leonas were gay clubs in the 60's and 70's.

okiegal57
03-12-2012, 05:39 PM
I remember: Taco Boy, The Villager, Jeans West, The Jeanery, Mother's Art Decor, Filthy McNasty's and Ruby Tuesday's.

Prunepicker
03-12-2012, 05:43 PM
I remember: Taco Boy, The Villager, Jeans West, The Jeanery, Mother's
Art Decor, Filthy McNasty's and Ruby Tuesday's.
McNasty's was a favorite ID bust for the police. I remember Ruby
Tuesday's but where was it?

gen70
03-12-2012, 06:17 PM
In Britton near the Broadway ext..

Achilleslastand
03-12-2012, 06:31 PM
McNasty's was a favorite ID bust for the police. I remember Ruby
Tuesday's but where was it?

Ruby Tuesdays the bingo joint right?
It was on britton road around classen.....

RadicalModerate
03-12-2012, 09:44 PM
The Club Burgundy and Sweet Leonas were gay clubs in the 60's and 70's.

Dang. If I'da knowed that I prob'ly wouldn'ta mistaken Sweet Leona's for just another seedy, downtown dive bar like some of those in downtown Denver. Back in the day (c. '74).

In retrospect . . .
Sid King's on E. Colfax was way "gayer" than either of those.
And not a homosexual in the joint. =)

Not that there's anything "wrong" with that . . . =)

biznesschic1959
03-27-2012, 03:46 PM
Did your Dad build the one on Eastern also, across the street from a middle school?

biznesschic1959
03-27-2012, 03:49 PM
Park Estates is where Springlake park used to be.

Larry OKC
03-29-2012, 09:08 AM
Not sure if it takes up the entire former property but MetroTech's Springlake Campus is on the site of the former Springlake Park. Their confrence rooms are named after various rides and they have/had some track and a couple of cars from the the Roller Coaster (Big Dipper?) in the main lobby of one of the buildings.

Jim Kyle
03-29-2012, 12:22 PM
Park Estates is where Springlake park used to be.It's near, but not exactly the same land. I used to live in Park Estates, at 1236 NE 44, but only from 1962-67. As I recall, the Park Estates addition covered everything from Kelly to Eastern and between NE 36 and NE 50, except for what was in Wildewood (which was mostly north of NE 50)...

HotStuff80
03-29-2012, 12:23 PM
The Sugar Shack - Just a bit west of the OCU campus on NW 23... almost at the corner where there was a Montgomery Ward or Sears store. Can't remember. (circa 1959).

Jim Kyle
03-29-2012, 12:26 PM
That was Sears at NW 23 and Penn. Don't remember the Sugar Shack though...

ctchandler
03-29-2012, 01:44 PM
The Big Dipper, I remember riding it at $.25 a ride. Before it was a pay one price park. I loved the fun house and the spinning thing (no idea what it was called) in the floor. And I spent a lot of time in the swimming pool. The best slide in OKC.
C. T.

CarltonsKeeper
03-29-2012, 01:57 PM
That was Sears at NW 23 and Penn. Don't remember the Sugar Shack though...

Sugar Shack was a small club almost in the center of Bixler's Drive Inn!!! On N.W. 23rd east of Penn, Northside of street about 200'....

boscorama
03-29-2012, 08:29 PM
At 23rd & Penn (northeast corner) was a beer joint called The Brass Keg, or somesuch.

JohnH_in_OKC
04-04-2012, 08:30 PM
Sugar Shack was a small club almost in the center of Bixler's Drive Inn!!! On N.W. 23rd east of Penn, Northside of street about 200'....

Around 1967, there was a club called the Sugar Shack just north of Walt's Barber Shop which was in a self standing building just north of NW 23rd and Walker (northwest side of street opposite Walker from Veazy's Drug Store & slightly north).

JohnH_in_OKC
04-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Double post (deleted).

janeyring
05-11-2012, 07:21 PM
We used to go to OTASCO near or in Warr Acres often. We used to go to the TG&Y in Warr Acres. Used to go to C. R. Anthony's to buy clothes--two locations--I believe one on 10th Street (NW), and I believe the other was in or near Warr Acres. I went into Rothchilds some--can't think of the Mall off busy highway.
Janey

Tritone
05-12-2012, 11:14 AM
There was an Anthony's in the shopping center on the northwest coner of tenth and Rockwell, along with OTASCO, Safeway and TG&Y. That was the south-facing portion. There was a drug store on the corner of the building (Hyde's?). On around on the Rockwell side there was a liquor store and another store or two. There was a cleaners/laundromat on the north end. Much, if not most, has changed.

Prunepicker
05-12-2012, 04:15 PM
I just remembered a past Beverly's location that I don't believe has
been mentioned in any of the posts or threads. There was one at
N.W. 16th and N. May Avenue. The location became the first
Jimmy's Egg.

bchris02
05-15-2012, 10:16 PM
When I lived in OKC back in the 90s, I seem to remember there being a gas station/convenience store brand called "Stax Stax Stax" on almost every corner. Does anybody remember them? I don't think they are around anymore.

Prunepicker
05-15-2012, 10:21 PM
When I lived in OKC back in the 90s, I seem to remember there
being a gas station/convenience store brand called "Stax Stax Stax"
on almost every corner. Does anybody remember them? I don't think
they are around anymore.
They are long gone. The last one I remember was at N.W. 10th
and N. Council Road on the S.E. corner. I never went to it, or
any of them for that matter.

Larry OKC
05-16-2012, 08:08 AM
Were Stax what replaced the Circle Ks when they left the market for a while and then returned???

BlackmoreRulz
05-16-2012, 04:32 PM
The El Charrito thread got my memory going....there was a Mexican food place on N may, somewhere south of NW 36 I think. I wanna say that the name of it was "Taco Boy" but that doesn't seem right either, anyone know/remember where I am talking about?

Prunepicker
05-16-2012, 07:21 PM
Were Stax what replaced the Circle Ks when they left the market
for a while and then returned?
I don't know. But I know U-Totem was one of my favorite
convenience stores in the 70's.

Prunepicker
05-16-2012, 07:22 PM
The El Charrito thread got my memory going....there was a Mexican
food place on N may, somewhere south of NW 36 I think. I wanna
say that the name of it was "Taco Boy" but that doesn't seem right
either, anyone know/remember where I am talking about?
I believe, am not certain, it was a Sanchez restaurant.

boscorama
05-16-2012, 07:38 PM
I do remember Taco Boy but not a location.

Think (you're) right about Stax and Circle K.

LOL I had forgotten about U-Totem.

ctchandler
05-17-2012, 06:45 AM
I believe, am not certain, it was a Sanchez restaurant.
Yes, it was an El Rancho Sanchez. I lived South so most of the time we went to the one on South Western, but once in a while I went to the one on May for lunch when I was working.
C. T.

ctchandler
05-17-2012, 06:47 AM
I do remember Taco Boy but not a location.
Boscorama,
There were Taco Boy fast food taco joints all over. I thought they were better than the others, but they lost out to Taco Bell.
C. T.

Garyd
06-18-2012, 08:36 PM
Remember Christopher's ?
The continental was a cinerama surround, saw Stagecoach there, it was filmed with 3 cameras and had a fuzzy line between each one where it slightly overlapped! Lol
Best diner in America was The Patio, every politician and celebrity who came to town had to eat there. Never ate out on the " patio", would have missed all the fun!
Magnolia Thunder*****'s Plant Palace across from Baptist hospital!
Disco 36
The Cellar downtown! Or Kips Big Boy downtown!QUOTE=Prunepicker;252155]Sam Stone is correct! He was the DJ.
Ahhhh wish I could go back!!! Lol

I'm almost certain that the Westwood and Continental had cinerama screens.
The Continental was just west of the Founders Tower on N.W. Expressway.
There was one in Tulsa, to.

I might answer the other questions tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

ctchandler
06-19-2012, 09:26 AM
I'm almost certain that the Westwood and Continental had cinerama screens.
Garyd,
I don't know about anything permanent, but early films at the Continental were in the "Todd-AO" format, a Cinerama competitor started by movie producer Michael Todd. See below from Wikipedia.
C. T.

"1953: Todd-AO formed as a joint venture of Mike Todd and the American Optical Company for the purpose of developing and distributing a large film format presentation system incorporating a wide, curved screen with multi-channel sound."

Prunepicker
06-19-2012, 09:58 AM
Remember Christopher's ?
Best diner in America was The Patio, every politician and celebrity
who came to town had to eat there. Never ate out on the " patio",
would have missed all the fun!
No doubt. Vernon Eccles was a class act. Was it Dolores who
came up with the Caesar Burger? It was the best.

RadicalModerate
06-19-2012, 10:37 AM
I think The Patio was the place I was trying to think of where I had the best omelet I ever ate. I went there on the recommendation of a guy who I worked with whose mom was one of the cooks.

BlackmoreRulz
06-19-2012, 04:44 PM
No doubt. Vernon Eccles was a class act. Was it Dolores who
came up with the Caesar Burger? It was the best.

The caesar salad at The Patio was fantastic

boscorama
06-19-2012, 08:00 PM
The Continental theater was very nice. Among first-runs I saw there were Alices's Restaurant and One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest.

bluedogok
06-19-2012, 08:56 PM
A twin of the Continental is here in Denver (I-25 & Hampden), we drive by it everyday coming home from work. They have painted all tan and added other screens around it so it hides the unique exterior that it shared with the OKC building. You can still see a hint of it from I-25 but I remember when it was still a standalone.

A friend and I always wanted to redevelop it into a live performance venue but we always had more dreams than money, especially 20+ years ago.

Prunepicker
06-19-2012, 09:52 PM
There was a Continental Theater in Tulsa, too. It was on the Skelly
Highway.

ctchandler
06-20-2012, 10:17 AM
The "Schnitzel" was my favorite meal at the Patio. An open faced burger topped with chili, onions, cheese, baked beans and an egg cooked the way you liked it. And of course, a side of French fries. I make it here about once a month and the only difference is, I add chopped jalapenos.
C. T.