View Full Version : What old business do you remember in OKC?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22

ctchandler
12-11-2011, 04:48 PM
Jim,
I visited the Mercedes dealer in England last year and they had a lot of old cars, including a gull wing. They let you sit in a lot of cars but it was off limits. What a nice looking vehicle. I do know that it was a a difficult car to drive. Apparently a lot of heat in the floorboard. Do you know why it was called a 300 SLC?
C. T.

Well, there was Chieftain Pontiac on the NE corner of 10th and Broadway, with the shops on the second floor. Also McDonald-
Scott Chevrolet at, as I recall, NW 7th. Does anyone else remember the first home of Thoroughbred Imports, on the east side of Broadway somewhere between 6th and 9th? That's where I saw my first (and only) Mercedes 300 SL gull-wing coupe back in the 50s... Thoroughbred later moved to N Western, around the 4200 block or thereabouts...

bluedogok
12-11-2011, 05:00 PM
SLC: Sport Leicht Coupe

There were two versions of the 300SL Gullwing, a steel bodied version with aluminum hood and doors and trunk lid and one that was an all aluminum body. For one of the collector car auctions posters we had a red one from the rear with the doors open. It was owned by Charles Vose at the time. I liked a little 190SL Roadster that we had at one time, the same basic body shape but convertible with the 1.9L 4-cylinder instead of the 3.0L inline six. The 190SL was also somewhat affordable at that time.

ctchandler
12-11-2011, 06:49 PM
Bluedogok,
And for those of us that don't speak German, "Leicht" means "Light". Actually, I was remembering super light construction but I believe you are correct with coupe.
C. T.

SLC: Sport Leicht Coupe

There were two versions of the 300SL Gullwing, a steel bodied version with aluminum hood and doors and trunk lid and one that was an all aluminum body. For one of the collector car auctions posters we had a red one from the rear with the doors open. It was owned by Charles Vose at the time. I liked a little 190SL Roadster that we had at one time, the same basic body shape but convertible with the 1.9L 4-cylinder instead of the 3.0L inline six. The 190SL was also somewhat affordable at that time.

Jim Kyle
12-11-2011, 08:10 PM
And the 300, of course, was for the 3.00 liter engine displacement.

SoonerDave
12-12-2011, 07:56 AM
T.g.&y. Stores inc. I own the corporation in name only, in oklahoma, worked for the company from 1977 to 1993 in muskogee and tulsa,
have an old metal sign in my office, t.g.&y. Stores co.,5 cents to one dollar, also blue shopping baskets, and a lighted under canopy sign
that lights up.

Wow. I remember that huge TG&Y "family center" that was the Southern Hills Shopping Center on 74th and Penn. It was WalMart before WalMart. Huge toy department, had my first summer job there, was always the place my mom got my prescriptions filled when I was a little kid - and always managed to get a coloring book out of the deal to pass the time while I got better and was home stuck in bed.

TG&Y's toy department was always awesome, especially had great models - cars, TV series models (Star Trek ships), paints, glue, brushes, more than anyone around. I never quite had the skill to build those things as well as other folks, but it was fun just to look at the selection.

I don't think there was anything you couldn't get at TGY, and remain convinced that had they not lost their way and tried to compete against higher-end department stores (a strategy doomed the moment it started), they'd have remained viable even to this day. I remember hearing that other discount chains stayed out of the OKC area because they specifically *didn't* want to compete with TGY, but once TGY lost the plot, the other guys smelled blood, swooped in, and TGY never recovered.

OKCisOK4me
12-12-2011, 09:23 AM
A lot of people don't realize that's why that stretch of Broadway is now called, "Automobile Alley." I was eating lunch with someone who wondered why they named it AA, he said, "I mean, automobiles are everywhere!" He's fairly new to the city though and I told him the history. I wonder how many different dealerships came and went through AA in the 20th Century alone?

Can't forger that the building that Red Prime is in does say Buick on the front of it.

CarltonsKeeper
12-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Bolen Oldsmobile! "Go Rollin' into Bolens" on N. Broadway also.....

Jim Kyle
12-12-2011, 03:28 PM
Don't forget Coffeen Oldsmobile that was there before Bolen... Henry Coffeen was a classmate of mine at Classen (along with Breene Kerr, from whom I much much later bought a Fiat X-1/9)...

ctchandler
12-12-2011, 05:51 PM
Jim,
My friend in London says the name for Fiat is "Fix it again Tony". Apparently they don't make the most reliable vehicle. I could say the same about my MG. As much as I enjoyed it, it was really a piece of junk. Mine was manufactured by British Leyland. Sorry, a little off topic.
C. T.

Don't forget Coffeen Oldsmobile that was there before Bolen... Henry Coffeen was a classmate of mine at Classen (along with Breene Kerr, from whom I much much later bought a Fiat X-1/9)...

ctchandler
12-12-2011, 05:56 PM
It seems that somewhere on this group I mentioned Shepard Richardson Rambler. They were never very good looking, but when you dated a niece of Shepard and her parents owned a fully loaded Rambler, it wasn't so bad. Several times her parents sent us off in their car. A 1960 loaded Rambler compared to my 1950 Olds? Give me the Rambler. Anyway, Shepard Richardson was on Broadway, somewhere around 13th I believe.
C. T.

Jim Kyle
12-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Yep, reliability wasn't its strongest point, but its superb handling more than made up for having to adjust the fuel pump every now and then. And it was a hoot to drive up beside a VW Beetle and look UP at its parking lights. When I stood beside the X-1/9, its roof was right at my belt buckle, yet it was one of the most comfortable vehicles to operate that I ever drove. Its ground clearance was only a few inches; one afternoon I poked a hole in the oil pan by driving over a rock not much larger than my fist. And the engine died a horrible death at around 74,000 miles, when its second timing belt broke prematurely and all the valves got shattered. Nevertheless my wife and I drove it for some 10 years and loved it...

"Fix It Again Tony" is right in there with "Found On Road Dead" and "Fix Or Repair Daily" and some Mustang owners might find the latter expansion appropriate.

EDIT: I owned a 1961 Rambler for a few years; that was the first year they used an aluminum block, and it wasn't quite ready for prime time...

bluedogok
12-12-2011, 09:08 PM
Fiat owns Chrysler now....along with Ferrari, Maserati, Alfa Romeo, Abarth and Lancia.

The ones that I know who have one of the new 500's really like them. Pretty much all cars are much better mechanically than they were when Fiat (and many of their other brands) were in the US until the early to mid 80's. Most people now wouldn't put up with the maintenance that even the best cars required back then.

ctchandler
12-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Jim,
I often referred to my MG Midget as a "motorized creeper". I suspect my ground clearance was comparable to yours.
C. T.

RadicalModerate
12-13-2011, 10:31 AM
http://www.miragecomfortshoes.com/1960_rambler.jpg

The first car I ever drove (c/o a friend's mom who attempted to teach us how to use a manual transmission . . . before I even had a Learner's Permit.)

ctchandler
12-13-2011, 05:08 PM
RadicalModerate,
Is that a 1959 or a 1960? It looks very similar to my girlfriends but hers was loaded, no manual transmission. As good as the picture is, I can't see the "wings" very well. It might be a 1961.
C. T.

bluedogok
12-13-2011, 08:18 PM
My current BMW Z4 is pretty low, I had to pull into the drive in Austin a certain way not to scrape the front. Coming back to Denver from Vail last month I nailed a good size chunk of ice that probably fell off a truck on I-70 and it busted out part of the lower grille. I get to play snowplow at times with it as well, it sure is fun when the weather is nice.

boscorama
01-25-2012, 08:49 PM
Having read only 4 pages in this thread I might have missed these:

Alan Merrill Chevoret
Padgham Toyota
Quicks
The Gridiron
Delta (later Coits)
Bobs Queen Bee Cafe (NW 23rd & Western)
AAA Cafe (Britton Rd)
Broncho Drive In (Edmond)
The Jade (Shepherd Mall)
The Golden Point (pre-McDonalds burger joint NE 23/Eastern)
Beef and Bun (23rd/Western, near Bobs Queen Bee)
Katherine Lipe
Andrews Market (NW 63/Western)
Brady's Market (NW 36/Youngs)
Yellow Submarine (Paseo)
White Light (Paseo)
Mothers Rock Shop

Don't even think about getting me started

ctchandler
01-26-2012, 07:57 PM
boscorama,
I noticed your comment about "Delta (later Coits)" but do you remember that they were originally Webers? I don't remember when they were Delta, but that's ok, at age 68 there's a lot of things I don't remember.
C. T.

MikeOKC
01-26-2012, 08:03 PM
Before it was Brady's Market (36th & Youngs) it was Cagle's. Yes, I'm dating myself.

Prunepicker
01-26-2012, 08:13 PM
boscorama,
I noticed your comment about "Delta (later Coits)" but do you
remember that they were originally Webers? I don't remember when
they were Delta, but that's ok, at age 68 there's a lot of things I don't
remember.
C. T.
It had to have been Delta's before it was Weber's. Coit's was
immediately after Weber's. Wasn't Coit's 1954? Yes, it was.

This is the first I've heard of Delta's. Maybe we should ask Mrs.
Coit. After all, she was there and still knows what took place.

I was in California at that time.

Where's Lackmeyer when you need him? Louderback?

Dang!

ctchandler
01-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Prunepicker,
I'm afraid Delta is out of my memory range which is pretty surprising. I always thought Weber's started the store and of course the Oklahoman article told us when the Coit family purchased it, but I never did any further searching. Maybe I will spend ten bucks and see if I can locate anything about Delta. Better yet, wait for more information from Boscorama. And by the way Boscorama, your comment "Don't even think about getting me started" doesn't belong on this thread, let it all out, speaking for myself, I would enjoy it and I'm sure anybody that has viewed this site would enjoy it as well.
C. T.

boscorama
01-27-2012, 09:09 PM
The Coits (Delta) I'm talking about is the one at NW 40th & Penn. Being a spring chicken myself, the time was specifically 1966-67-ish.

Sorry about that.

Black Brick, anyone?

Prunepicker
01-27-2012, 09:23 PM
Prunepicker,
I'm afraid Delta is out of my memory range which is pretty surprising.
C. T.
Delta would have had to been in the 40's or earlier. I can't imagine
anyone older than you.

Prunepicker
01-27-2012, 09:25 PM
The Coits (Delta) I'm talking about is the one at NW 40th & Penn.
Being a spring chicken myself, the time was specifically 1966-67-ish.

Sorry about that.

Black Brick, anyone?
Huh? I don't remember anything but a Coit's at that location and I
cruised that area in the 60's. I'm going to do some research on
this one.

I remember the Brick on N. McKinley. Went there many times and
listened to what I believe was the only 8 track tape they had.
Iron Butterfly, Inagaddadavida, baby.

Prunepicker
01-27-2012, 09:29 PM
http://archive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/1964/05/13/23/Img/Ar0230205.png
http://archive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/1964/05/13/23/Img/Ar0230200.png
http://archive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/1964/05/13/23/Img/Ar0230201.png

Here are the facts. This is from 1964.

:bow:

rcjunkie
01-28-2012, 07:28 AM
Don't remember the name, but in the early to mid 60's there was a tire shop / garage at NW 2nd and Western that my dad used. I remember it mainly because it was owned-operated by a midget that went by Shorty. I always got a kick out of the fact when he used the car lift to make repairs underneath, he only had to raise it 3--4 feet.

ctchandler
01-28-2012, 09:21 AM
boscorama,
OK, my memory of coit's locations is limited to 24th and Western (primary destination since we lived South), and the Weber's on 11th and N. Penn. I don't think the one on 11th and Penn was ever a Coit's. We never went to the one on 39th/40 and N. Penn, or the one on 50th and Portland. As an adult, after I returned home from the Navy (1968), all four were Coit's. I have gone to all of them many times since then.
C. T.

The Coits (Delta) I'm talking about is the one at NW 40th & Penn. Being a spring chicken myself, the time was specifically 1966-67-ish.

Sorry about that.

Black Brick, anyone?

ctchandler
01-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Prunepicker,
That's no way to treat boscorama (surely you weren't suggesting that I'm old).
C. T.

Delta would have had to been in the 40's or earlier. I can't imagine
anyone older than you.

ctchandler
01-28-2012, 09:26 AM
Prunepicker,
Good work, plus saved me almost ten bucks. I wish the search process was better, but it is nice when you need to do some research. I have generally been able to finally get what I needed after trying several different arguments.
C. T.

http://archive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/1964/05/13/23/Img/Ar0230205.png
http://archive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/1964/05/13/23/Img/Ar0230200.png
http://archive.newsok.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=DOK/1964/05/13/23/Img/Ar0230201.png

Here are the facts. This is from 1964.

:bow:

Prunepicker
01-28-2012, 03:18 PM
Don't remember the name, but in the early to mid 60's there was a tire
shop / garage at NW 2nd and Western that my dad used. I remember
it mainly because it was owned-operated by a midget that went by
Shorty. I always got a kick out of the fact when he used the car lift
to make repairs underneath, he only had to raise it 3--4 feet.
He may still be at V&H Muffler.

MikeOKC
01-28-2012, 06:22 PM
Prunepicker,
Good work, plus saved me almost ten bucks. I wish the search process was better, but it is nice when you need to do some research. I have generally been able to finally get what I needed after trying several different arguments.
C. T.

Hi there, C.T.....

Do you have a library card? You can access the exact same database as they have at newsok.com - FREE - by...

> signing-in to the library site at http://cybermars.mls.lib.ok.us/marsiis/cybermars.htm with your library card.

> Click on 'Databases'

> Click on the tab marked 'Newspapers'

> Go to 'Oklahoman Electronic Archives'

You're good to go.....

Have a good weekend!

Prunepicker
01-28-2012, 06:43 PM
C.T., MikeOKC is correct. However, use the advanced search. It provides
a focused search. Also, use quotation marks.

boscorama
01-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Prunepicker, maybe since I remember it, I couldn't have really been there :doh:

Maybe it was Coits in 1968, but there's no doubt in my mind that in '66 it was The Delta.

For the record, my current age is 61.

Prunepicker
01-28-2012, 08:27 PM
[QUOTE=boscorama;5039569my mind that in
'66 it was The Delta.

For the record, my current age is 61.[/QUOTE]
I know in the early 70's it was definitely Coit's. Still trying to see
the Delta sign but it doesn't register. I believe you're right. I
didn't cruise the north side until 1969

I was a south sider who cruised the north side. Nobody on the
north side knew us! LOL!

Kokomo
01-28-2012, 09:13 PM
The cellar, the folks tube, little reds, hill top

Kokomo
01-28-2012, 09:14 PM
Roses, adairs,

boscorama
01-28-2012, 09:27 PM
Skyrick, I discovered Abextra in 1968. Prior to '67, who would be selling trip glasses, anyway? Once, in the blacklight room, a friend's fake tooth was revealed.

Anyone remember that wonderful Jefferson Airplane poster, the wooden looking one? Man, that was cool.

Speaking of magazines, did they sell Eye Magazine, or did I buy it elsewhere?

boscorama
01-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Now, I'm recalling a friend from that period ('67-68) hooting about the name Coits, calling it "coitus".

Prunepicker
01-28-2012, 09:55 PM
Skyrick, I discovered Abextra in 1968. Prior to '67, who would be
selling trip glasses, anyway? Once, in the blacklight room, a friend's
fake tooth was revealed.

Anyone remember that wonderful Jefferson Airplane poster, the
wooden looking one? Man, that was cool.

Speaking of magazines, did they sell Eye Magazine, or did I buy it
elsewhere?
Abextra goes back to 1964. You could have bought the Eye mag
at Abextra or Mother's. Not sure about the JA poster.

boscorama
01-29-2012, 09:57 PM
A few more ...

Dogs 'n Suds (on Springlake Dr)
En Rapport (speakeasy on NW 39th)
Conrad Marr Drug (at least two locations)
Red Bud IGA's
Jones Boys (grocery at Park Estates)
Prairie Lady (concert venue on NW 39, near present YWCA)

Prunepicker
01-29-2012, 10:04 PM
A few more...
Jones Boys (grocery at Park Estates)
Where was Park Estates?

RadicalModerate
01-30-2012, 07:53 AM
I think Park Estates was just north of Crown Heights, east of Western
It had an old strip mall/shopping center named after it.
I think the "Park" was "repurposed".

Blue Ribbon Auto Supply
Swick's [electric motor?] Repair

boscorama
01-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Park Estates Shopping Center was at NE 36th/Springlake Drive/Kelly. Last time I looked it was still there, but Jones Boys is now a Dollar General.

ctchandler
01-31-2012, 04:38 PM
There was a drug store at Park Estates and when my mother took us to Spring Lake, we would always stop by the drug store for a malt or shake. Another nice memory.
C. T.

Jim Kyle
01-31-2012, 05:20 PM
When I lived in the 1200 block of NE 44, 1962-67, the drugstore was a Conrad-Marr and the supermarket at the corner of Springlake Drive and Kelly was Hagee's IGA (which burned in 66 or 67). There was a Safeway in another strip mall on the south side of NE 36 just east of Kelly, too. I don't remember there being a Jones Boys during that time though...

ctchandler
01-31-2012, 06:24 PM
Jim,
Conrad-Marr is what I remember, thanks for that. I didn't remember it till you posted it. When I worked on Lincoln blvd in the late 60's early 70's, I drove Northeast 36th everyday but I only remember the Safeway, I don't remember the Jones Boys but I am not questioning it's existence, just my memory.
C. T.

boscorama
01-31-2012, 09:14 PM
Jones Boys was in the 1950's. Next, I think, it was Humpty Dumpty. Other businesses in the center included Conrad Marr Drug, TG&Y, and a dentist, among other forgotten businesses.

The shopping center with Safeway was to the south on 36th; that center included Woolworths (I think), a laundromat, or "washeteria", and maybe a CR Anthony.

North of the Park Estates, across Springlake Drive, was yet another center with Red Bud as anchor. There, my family found our first ever take-out fried chicken. Umm, umm, I can still remember what it looked and tasted like and the foil bag thing it came in. On the Springlake Drive end of the parking lot was a small restaurant called The Pink Kitchen.

As of last year, all three building structures still exist, for the most part empty.

CT, by the 70's most of this was already a memory.

Speaking of Humpty Dumpty, does anyone remember when there was one at NW 36 & Western, in the space later occupied by (another) Red Bud, next to Bruno's Furniture? Again, it was the 50's.

I was too young to go, but the Blue Goose at 30th & Classen seemed to be a popular spot for beer drinking, etc.

Prunepicker
01-31-2012, 09:25 PM
I was too young to go, but the Blue Goose at 30th & Classen seemed
to be a popular spot for beer drinking, etc.
In the early 70's you could see it from my porch. The entire corner
was razed this last year.

Jim Kyle
02-01-2012, 07:06 AM
North of the Park Estates, across Springlake Drive, was yet another center with Red Bud as anchor. There, my family found our first ever take-out fried chicken. Umm, umm, I can still remember what it looked and tasted like and the foil bag thing it came in. On the Springlake Drive end of the parking lot was a small restaurant called The Pink Kitchen.That Red Bud was what I remember as Hagee's. And I had forgotten about The Pink Kitchen! When I lived in that area, a longtime friend was their cook. Her name was Edith Russell but she was known to all the regulars as Shorty and to my family as Edie.

I first met Edie when she was the late night staff at the Toddle House on Walker between NW 11 and NW 12. I worked the swing shift at the Oklahoman and always stopped by and had a cup of coffee with Edie on my way home. When I was courting my wife, who worked days, I would pick her up at 1 a.m. and we would sit in the Toddle House and visit with Edie. Later, when our son was born, Edie gave us a bright shiny new penny for his first birthday gift. And when we moved out of state a few months later, we lost contact with her.

A couple of years later we came back home and moved into Park Estates. One day we dropped in at The Pink Kitchen and there was Edie at the grill. For the rest of her life, we stopped by regularly to visit with her. She was a coin collector and had a wonderful collection of old coins. One night she brought them to our house to show to us.

Not much after that, I dropped into the cafe for another visit but she wasn't there, and the owner of place looked distraught. I asked him where Edie was, and learned that he had discovered her dead just a few hours before. When she failed to show up for work, he had gone to her apartment and discovered her body.

The police valued her coin collection at more than $4,000 just for its silver content alone. Her family took custody of it and I have no idea what happened to it.

Turns out that Edie had come to OKC from rural Arkansas dujring WW2 to become a Rosie the Riveter at the Douglas plant, and stayed here after the plant trimmed its workforce. She worked at Toddle House until it shut down, then with The Pink Kitchen until her death.

The Pink Kitchen itself later moved from the Park Estates area to NW 23 and Broadway. I continued to visit it, sporadically, for quite a while...

RadicalModerate
02-01-2012, 08:25 AM
When I first moved to OKC (back in '73) I went downtown to see a concert by Kris Kristofferson and Rita Coolidge at the Civic Center. As I was new to the area and unfamiliar with it, I arrived way early and parked a couple of blocks east of the Civic Center. Since I had some time to kill--and as I had just turned 21 a few months earlier--I stopped in for a drink at a place called "Sweet Leona's Lounge."

I think it was next to a place called "The Burgundy Room" or something like that. Even though this was back in the "Private Club" days, I don't recall having any problem at all getting a mixed drink.

Anyone else remember either of those places?

Prunepicker
02-01-2012, 06:09 PM
I first met Edie when she was the late night staff at the Toddle House
on Walker between NW 11 and NW 12.
Beverly's moved into that spot, right? I have a spoon from the
Toddle House.

Jim Kyle
02-01-2012, 07:22 PM
I'm not sure it was the exact same spot, but it was the same block. I think that Beverly's was one or two lots to the south of Toddle House, which was in the middle of the block.

Prunepicker
02-01-2012, 07:46 PM
I'm not sure it was the exact same spot, but it was the same block.
I think that Beverly's was one or two lots to the south of Toddle
House, which was in the middle of the block.
My dad had a durable medical goods business on N.W. 12th between
Walker and Hudson. The only places that were between 11th and
12th, circa 1960, were, on the east side from N.W. 12th, a doctor's
office, an alley and the Osler Building. On the west side from N.W.
12th was Reeser's Eyewear, Stuckey-Wheeler Pharmacy, Beverly's,
and a gas station.

Wait, Clyde Reeser had his place built on 12th & Walker. Could
the Toddle House have been on the corner? I don't remember the
Toddle House being there. We moved to OKC @ 1957.

We used to eat at the Sieber Hotel and Johnny's Topper Burger.
Hand's Sinclair worked on our cars. They were all on the corner
of N.W. 12th and N. Hudson.

Priddy's was on N.W. 11th and N. Hudson. It became Martin's @
1962. Mable's was on N.W. 11th and N. Harvey.

Jim Kyle
02-01-2012, 09:01 PM
On the west side from N.W.
12th was Reeser's Eyewear, Stuckey-Wheeler Pharmacy, Beverly's,
and a gas station.

Wait, Clyde Reeser had his place built on 12th & Walker. Could
the Toddle House have been on the corner? I don't remember the
Toddle House being there. We moved to OKC @ 1957.

Priddy's was on N.W. 11th and N. Hudson. It became Martin's @
1962.Beverly's might have replaced Toddle House. It was definitely mid-block, though, and was a much smaller building than Beverly's.

In the 54-59 time period I often ate at Priddy's, and became well acquainted with Mr. Priddy. He made the best chili I've ever had! He would make only one batch each year, in the fall, but it was a big enough batch that it would serve his customers all winter long...

boscorama
02-01-2012, 09:09 PM
I drove past The Burgundy Room enough, but it wasn't exactly my *stomping grounds* so I never saw the inside.

South of the Park Estates area and east of NE High School, anyone remember the Northeast municipal center and swimming pool? The snack bar was upstairs outside. Oh, the junk that passed for snacks!

Gibble Gas on Kelly
Joe Esco Tire Co.
McMahan's Drive In (ice cream) on 36th & Walker
89er Inn on Lincoln
Palamino Motel
Trade Winds Motel
The watermelon place on Eastern; you know, where they sold it by the slice, customers occupying long tables ..

Prunepicker
02-01-2012, 09:56 PM
Beverly's might have replaced Toddle House. It was definitely mid-block,
though, and was a much smaller building than Beverly's.

In the 54-59 time period I often ate at Priddy's, and became well
acquainted with Mr. Priddy. He made the best chili I've ever had! He
would make only one batch each year, in the fall, but it was a big
enough batch that it would serve his customers all winter long...
I remember he always hired red headed waitresses. So did Mr.
Martin.

Mr. Priddy made the best chicken salad in the world. His pimento
cheese was to die for. In fact if you had one of his pimento cheese
sandwiches, I'd shoot you and eat it.

When Mr. Priddy sold the restaurant, Mr. Martin put the sign in the
little place behind the restaurant. In fact, after Mr. Martin sold the
restaurant, the Priddy's sign was still there. I don't remember the
last owner. It may have been called Martin's but Martin wasn't the
owner.

I think these are memories.

Prunepicker
02-01-2012, 10:00 PM
McMahan's Drive In (ice cream) on 36th & Walker
My dad went to school with McMahan. The last time I saw him, Bob,
he was in bad shape and on state assistance. It was quite sad.

I remember dad trying to help him out with a low cal ice cream he
had come up with. Can't remember the name of it. I believe Bob
was cheated to the point of poverty.

CarltonsKeeper
02-02-2012, 04:53 PM
My dad went to school with McMahan. The last time I saw him, Bob,
he was in bad shape and on state assistance. It was quite sad.

I remember dad trying to help him out with a low cal ice cream he
had come up with. Can't remember the name of it. I believe Bob
was cheated to the point of poverty.

Are you referring to N.W. 36th & Walker across from the Church with the large fountain???

Tritone
02-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Priddy's? Is that the same Priddy's chili and pimiento cheese spread I used to see in Safeway and Humpty Dumpty?

boscorama
02-02-2012, 09:20 PM
McMahan's was west of the church. If not Walker, maybe Dewey? Either way, it was situated on 36th, facing south.