View Full Version : What old business do you remember in OKC?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22

Prunepicker
07-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Speaking of The Value of Advertising . . .
It occurs to me that if--instead of a lowly FM record-spinner--Abextra
had been able to afford the talent fees of Linda Soundtrak, Alan Merrill,
Tom Padgham or even Mark Shannon (God Rest His Soul) to do those
spots, it might still be in business!
Abextra closed because of the paraphernalia law that was passed
in 1980 or so.

MikeOKC
07-03-2011, 07:59 PM
I remember Abextra. I bought a blacklight poster and my first blacklight (the longish bar kind) there. I can't place it exactly but I can picture it in my mind. Didn't it sit in a median-like triangle at the intersection?

rcjunkie
07-03-2011, 08:12 PM
I remember Abextra. I bought a blacklight poster and my first blacklight (the longish bar kind) there. I can't place it exactly but I can picture it in my mind. Didn't it sit in a median-like triangle at the intersection?

It was on the NE corner @ 6th and Classen.

MikeOKC
07-03-2011, 08:23 PM
It was on the NE corner @ 6th and Classen.

It curves there, right? I wish someone had an old picture. I'd love to see it again.

Prunepicker
07-03-2011, 08:43 PM
It curves there, right? I wish someone had an old picture. I'd love to see it again.
No. The north bound curve is north of 10th.

Prunepicker
07-03-2011, 08:45 PM
Does anyone remember the business office that was on the north part
of Abextra?

RadicalModerate
07-03-2011, 09:27 PM
Dude . . .
Business office . . ??
Like, how could anyone see a business office in the entire vicinity of Abextra?
Like, on account of that Kosmic Karma Glow? . . . =)

(Sorry, Mr. Picker . . . I'm still kickin' myself in my fat, lazy ass for not getting up off of it and crusing down to the Dick Dale Concert. Seriously. This is just a way to "sublimate" my personal frustration. And have a little fun at the same time. Without shooting off fireworks. =)

Prunepicker
07-03-2011, 10:02 PM
It was Meadow Gold Milk! It was part of the building.

MikeOKC
07-04-2011, 12:33 AM
It was Meadow Gold Milk! It was part of the building.

This is bizarre, Prune. Synchronicity kind of stuff. My wife and I were talking about Meadow Gold and Gilt Edge Dairy Farms last night. I had thought of neither in years and then here you are - the next day - writing about Meadow Gold. That kind of thing happens to me a lot.

ljbab728
07-04-2011, 12:38 AM
This is bizarre, Prune. Synchronicity kind of stuff. My wife and I were talking about Meadow Gold and Gilt Edge Dairy Farms last night. I had thought of neither in years and then here you are - the next day - writing about Meadow Gold. That kind of thing happens to me a lot.

The Gilt Edge Dairy in Norman was about 2 blocks from my grandparent's house. It had a great ice cream parlor which I loved to visit.

MikeOKC
07-04-2011, 12:57 AM
The Gilt Edge Dairy in Norman was about 2 blocks from my grandparent's house. It had a great ice cream parlor which I loved to visit.

And then you post 5 minutes later saying your grandparent's house was 2 blocks from Gilt Edge! Bizarre.

What great memories you must have from the old ice cream parlor.

ljbab728
07-04-2011, 01:02 AM
And then you post 5 minutes later saying your grandparent's house was 2 blocks from Gilt Edge! Bizarre.

What great memories you must have from the old ice cream parlor.

That was back in the 50's and brings back a lot of warm fuzzy memories.

USG'60
07-04-2011, 05:56 AM
Was Green Leaf grocery still across the street from Gilt Edge when you were there? We moved from Norman in '48 but both of those places are among my very oldest memories.

Prunepicker
07-04-2011, 08:46 AM
This is bizarre, Prune. Synchronicity kind of stuff. My wife and I were
talking about Meadow Gold and Gilt Edge Dairy Farms last night. I had
thought of neither in years and then here you are - the next day -
writing about Meadow Gold. That kind of thing happens to me a lot.
They delivered milk to our home. Before that we would drive out to
Gray's Dairy on S.E. 59th.

Jim Kyle
07-04-2011, 09:04 AM
Meadow Gold still had home delivery in 1958; we were getting it!

RadicalModerate
07-04-2011, 09:06 AM

Syncronicity? . . . Perhaps.
Or maybe [cue Theremin music] . . . The Abextra Effect . . .
(Ab extra is a Latin legal term, approximately translating to "from without" or "from outside.")

But enough with all that . . .

Was Meadow Gold a local brand of milk/dairy?
I remember hearing and seeing their ads as a child, but I don't remember hearing them outside of Oklahoma (unlike Borden's).

Okay . . . Old Businesses . . .
How about that Mexican Restaurant on the south side of 23rd Street just east of I-35?
Or Blackhawk Swimming Pool right across the Interstate?

How about Han's BBQ on 23rd St.?
Or Blue Ribbon Auto Parts in roughly the same vicinity.

And, of course, the ever popular "Luster's Motel"?

Prunepicker
07-04-2011, 09:12 AM
Was Meadow Gold a local brand of milk/dairy?
I remember hearing and seeing their ads as a child, but I don't
remember hearing them outside of Oklahoma (unlike Borden's).
It's still a large regional dairy. Viva is what's sold in OKC.

skyrick
07-04-2011, 10:06 AM
Meadow Gold still had home delivery in 1958; we were getting it!

Borden's still had home delivery in OKC in 1961. When I spent the night at my grandparents once, I heard a noise in the kitchen even though everyone was still in bed. I went out there and this guy was putting full milk bottles in the refrigerator! We didn't get that in Tulsa. The concept of someone walking in your back door while everyone is still asleep and reverse raiding your fridge is a strange concept to me now, but perfectly normal to the 7 yr old me. I remember home delivery as late as 1970, though they knocked on the front door by then.

ctchandler
07-04-2011, 10:09 AM
Syncronicity? . . . Perhaps.

How about that Mexican Restaurant on the south side of 23rd Street just east of I-35?
Or Blackhawk Swimming Pool right across the Interstate?

How about Han's BBQ on 23rd St.?
Or Blue Ribbon Auto Parts in roughly the same vicinity.

And, of course, the ever popular "Luster's Motel"?

Wasn't Han's on 10th street along with (at least not far from) Nicolosi's Italian Restaurant, and J & R Chicken ranch? I could be mistaken but It's been almost thirty years since Han's closed. Also, the Mexican restaurant was the original Cocina De Mino.
C. T.

ctchandler
07-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Wasn't Han's on 10th street along with (at least not far from) Nicolosi's Italian Restaurant, and J & R Chicken ranch? I could be mistaken but It's been almost thirty years since Han's closed. Also, the Mexican restaurant was the original Cocina De Mino.
C. T.
I should have looked it up, Hans was on 10th and Tulsa.
C. T.

RadicalModerate
07-04-2011, 10:16 AM
The "big" Han's was over on west 10th (or 16th?), but there was also a smaller version on NE 23rd, maybe around Lottie or thereabouts. It may have been home of the first barbecue I ever ate.

Wasn't the original Cocino De Mino on 29th St. right across from Carey Lumber? The place I'm thinking of had a name something like El Matador or El Sombrero and it almost seems like it had something to do with a motel of some sort (other than Luster's).

Here's another old business that I wish was still around: Shipman's Cafe (2 locations) home of The Never Ending Baskets of Biscuits. Pretty good chicken too, as I recall . . .

ctchandler
07-04-2011, 10:44 AM
The "big" Han's was over on west 10th (or 16th?), but there was also a smaller version on NE 23rd, maybe around Lottie or thereabouts. It may have been home of the first barbecue I ever ate.

Wasn't the original Cocino De Mino on 29th St. right across from Carey Lumber? The place I'm thinking of had a name something like El Matador or El Sombrero and it almost seems like it had something to do with a motel of some sort (other than Luster's).

Here's another old business that I wish was still around: Shipman's Cafe (2 locations) home of The Never Ending Baskets of Biscuits. Pretty good chicken too, as I recall . . .
My mistake, I read 23rd as 29th. You are absolutely correct. As far as the one on 23rd, I don't remember it at all. I don't doubt that their was another Hans, maybe where they started? I just didn't know about it.
And one more Mexican restaurant should be mentioned since it was the first date I had with my late wife. We ate there often when I came home on leave from the U. S. Navy. It was El Patio, strictly a local restaurant and it was on S. W. 5th somewhere between Robinson and Walker. I know it was in that vicinity but could be corrected on East/West boundaries. Yes, Shipman's was a place we went often. My mother didn't have a lot of money and it was fairly inexpensive. I loved the hot beef sandwich. For those that don't know what that is, it's an open faced (two slices of bread, side by side on a plate, covered with gravy) sandwich and I'm sure we got three sides with it. I love butter/margarine and instead of a few patties they always put a tray of patties on the table. And of course, there was always honey. That was my preference for their biscuits which weren't really biscuits but who cared, they were very good.
C. T.

I just found this on another web page. "Hans Abraham was the founder and owner. Hans was at 10th and Tulsa for it last 20 plus years but originally it was over by the capitol.". That would be near 23rd and Lottie.

BlackmoreRulz
07-04-2011, 10:51 AM
El Rancho Sanchez was originally on 23rd east of I35

ctchandler
07-04-2011, 10:59 AM
One of my favorite restaurants but I didn't know they were located there. The first one I ate at was on South Western, East side near 58th. I also ate at the one on about 39th and North May.
C. T.
El Rancho Sanchez was originally on 23rd east of I35

bluedogok
07-04-2011, 11:23 AM
I worked at Han's BBQ in 79-80, it closed around 1989.

ctchandler
07-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Does anybody remember Elmer's? My mother is the sixth one from the left.
C. T.

USG'60
07-04-2011, 02:22 PM
Neat picture, CT. Where was it? Is it and the one across the street (in the picture)still standing?

MikeOKC
07-04-2011, 02:29 PM
Does anybody remember Elmer's? My mother is the sixth one from the left.
C. T.

C.T. --- I'm with USG'60 - where was it? What a great picture!

ctchandler
07-04-2011, 02:43 PM
USG'60 and MikeOKC,
It was on the west side of Lincoln Blvd at about 24th street. None of those structures exist today. That picture was taken in the mid to late 40's. I will do a little research to see if I can get more information. My mother worked the shortly after she threw my dad out for infidelity.
C. T.

USG'60
07-04-2011, 03:04 PM
I sort of remember it now. What is that first word on the sign?

MikeOKC
07-04-2011, 03:06 PM
I sort of remember it now. What is that first word on the sign?

That is a very neat old picture - and to have your mom in it, that's pretty special.

USG - I think it's "Here's"

ctchandler
07-04-2011, 03:47 PM
MikeOKC,
Thanks. And yes the word is "Here's". My mother was just trying to survive and I think she was a pretty good waitress. She left for Civil Service and retired from FAA after thirty one years.
C. T.

That is a very neat old picture - and to have your mom in it, that's pretty special.

USG - I think it's "Here's"

RadicalModerate
07-04-2011, 04:05 PM
That really is a cool picture. (I love stuff like that).
The guy on the far right must be Elmer: He looks like he fell right off of the sign.

And I like how they eschew standardization of uniforms.

I know this isn't possible--timelinewise--but doesn't the car in the background look like an old VW beetle?
I'll bet Elmer's clientele included a lot of state politicians, lobbyists and wheeler-dealers being so close to the Capitol and all.

USG'60
07-04-2011, 04:18 PM
You are right about everything, I think. In that period of baggie pants "Elmer's" looks like Icabod Crain's. I'll bet he was a character.

Larry OKC
07-04-2011, 08:14 PM
Love pics like that. Noticed the telephone sign attached up high, did that mean they had a public pay phone inside the business (or that there was a pay phone at the base of the pole)? Reminders of a different time. Can still see old Route 66 type hotel signs advertising the fact that they have cold ac, color tvs and fm radios in the rooms!

Prunepicker
07-04-2011, 10:26 PM
Noticed the telephone sign attached up high, did that mean they had
a public pay phone inside the business?
Yes.

ljbab728
07-04-2011, 10:40 PM
Was Green Leaf grocery still across the street from Gilt Edge when you were there? We moved from Norman in '48 but both of those places are among my very oldest memories.

It could have been but I really don't remember for sure. I didn't live in that immediate area of Norman. I walked to the Ice Cream Parlor from my grandparents house. I do remember going to a grocery store in the downtown Norman area but don't have any clear pictures in my head about where it was.

Actually, after racking my brain for a while, I do remember the grocery store on the East side of Porter.

RadicalModerate
07-05-2011, 09:47 AM
Another old restaurant: Sussy's. Not the one that was actually in Oklahoma City proper, but the location way out on NE 23rd St.--seems like maybe as far east as nearly to Sooner Road--on the north side of the street. I think it had been abandoned and overgrown with weeds even as early as maybe 1962? I remember thinking, every time we would drive by the place, "Why would anyone build a restaurant out here in the middle of nowhere?"

It wasn't too far from that old Drive-In Theater ("Telstar"? "Satellite"? Whatever . . .) with the flashing light on a tall pole, so maybe they thought people would stop in for an Italian dinner before going to the show.

The other reason might have to do with Oklahoma's drinking and gambling laws and "enforcement density" out in the country.

Jim Kyle
07-05-2011, 10:07 AM
That sounds like the old "Derby Club" location, which was part of the Samara-Sussman operation in the 50s along with the Jamboree and Sussy's on 23rd near Lincoln. There was later a Sussy's in Capitol Hill on Robinson at about SW 24, and one on Lincoln just north of NE 36, not to mention one at SW 29 and May that later turned into a pawn shop...

RadicalModerate
07-05-2011, 10:18 AM
I guess it could have been the Derby Club, yet for some reason I distinctly remember a sign saying Sussy's . . . Maybe it was just a moveable sign on a trailer. The weeds were too high to tell.

Oh. And I just remembered: It was the Skyview Drive-In Theater.
(I don't know where I got "Telstar" . . .)

BTW, Jim: Nice article on the end of Prohibition.
Did you catch that recent show on Gallery or Stateline that dealt with the same subject?

Jim Kyle
07-05-2011, 10:28 AM
I guess it could have been the Derby Club, yet for some reason I distinctly remember a sign saying Sussy's . . . Maybe it was just a moveable sign on a trailer. The weeds were too high to tell.

Oh. And I just remembered: It was the Skyview Drive-In Theater.
(I don't know where I got "Telstar" . . .)

BTW, Jim: Nice article on the end of Prohibition.
Did you catch that recent show on Gallery or Stateline that dealt with the same subject?Thanks for the comment! Nope, I didn't catch the TV show. I seldom watch any local channels except to catch Jeopardy and check the weather reports...

ctchandler
07-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Jim,
I believe it was an upscale Sussy's Italian restaurant and they didn't go by Sussy's, but by Jack's. I went there a few times, once after a junior/senior prom. I don't remember any of the other Sussy's being nice enough for a "white sport coat and a pink carnation". I will google and see if I can find anything about the Derby Club because I think that is what it became after Sussman's legal problems. Now that my brain is starting to churn, wasn't the old Tokyo Gardens at about 47th and Lincoln a Sussy's?
C. T.

That sounds like the old "Derby Club" location, which was part of the Samara-Sussman operation in the 50s along with the Jamboree and Sussy's on 23rd near Lincoln. There was later a Sussy's in Capitol Hill on Robinson at about SW 24, and one on Lincoln just north of NE 36, not to mention one at SW 29 and May that later turned into a pawn shop...

ctchandler
07-05-2011, 10:59 AM
I'm still not convinced about what I said. I would swear on my deathbed that the restaurant between Coltrane and Sooner was Jack's but here is a link to a nice article about Jake Samara from the Journal Record after Jake's death. I know prunepicker is pretty knowledgeable about Samara and Sussman.
C. T.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4182/is_20011231/ai_n10148897/

Jim Kyle
07-05-2011, 12:37 PM
Now that my brain is starting to churn, wasn't the old Tokyo Gardens at about 47th and Lincoln a Sussy's?
C. T.Sure was; my best man took my bride and me there after our wedding on the evening of Feb. 15, 1958, and embarrassed the daylights out of us by having the maitre d' announce it over the PA system!

Jack's biggest legal problem that I remember came from the place burning out a few years later; he was convicted of arson and went to McAlester for a few years. After coming back he opened the Nomad on N May.

Jake ran the place on S Robinson; it was a real hole in the wall, totally unlike his more glamorous projects at the Jamboree and to a lesser extent the Derby. Those were in their heyday in the very early 50s; the S Robinson place was in the 60s, after his place near 36th and Lincoln went broke...

ctchandler
07-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Jim,
Thanks, I thought I remembered going there before Tokyo Gardens (I enjoyed that place too). Also, it was probably closer to 1970 when the 37th and Lincoln place closed. I used to work at 4001 (Lear Siegler) and went to lunch there often. That's where I got to know Jake. And since the thread is about old business, how about the Prow Lounge? It was the bar attached to Sussy's on the North side of the restaurant.
C. T.

Sure was; my best man took my bride and me there after our wedding on the evening of Feb. 15, 1958, and embarrassed the daylights out of us by having the maitre d' announce it over the PA system!

Jack's biggest legal problem that I remember came from the place burning out a few years later; he was convicted of arson and went to McAlester for a few years. After coming back he opened the Nomad on N May.

Jake ran the place on S Robinson; it was a real hole in the wall, totally unlike his more glamorous projects at the Jamboree and to a lesser extent the Derby. Those were in their heyday in the very early 50s; the S Robinson place was in the 60s, after his place near 36th and Lincoln went broke...

Prunepicker
07-05-2011, 01:50 PM
Another old restaurant: Sussy's. Not the one that was actually in
Oklahoma City proper, but the location way out on NE 23rd St.--seems
like maybe as far east as nearly to Sooner Road--on the north side of
the street.
That's a new one on me.

It wasn't too far from that old Drive-In Theater ("Telstar"? "Satellite"?
Whatever...
Skyline?

ctchandler
07-05-2011, 02:47 PM
Prunepicker,
We had an exchange on another thread about the Sussy's location way out on NE 23rd St. You are younger than me so clear those cobwebs and help us out.
C. T.

That's a new one on me.

Skyline?

MikeOKC
07-05-2011, 03:27 PM

Hi Jim,

I knew Jack's family was involved in the Nomad, but didn't know that Jack, himself, actually started Nomad. Has it been in continuous operation since then, or was there a time when it was gone and re-opened by the family as "Nomad II?" The place is worth visiting to see all the old pictures on the wall. Jack with this president, Jack with Fill-In-The-Blank and on and on it goes. An interesting part of our city history.

Prunepicker
07-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Prunepicker,
We had an exchange on another thread about the Sussy's location
way out on NE 23rd St. You are younger than me so clear those
cobwebs and help us out.
C. T.
The way Jake Samara told me is he had a club, the Tempo, on N.E.
23rd and just west, I think, of the Capitol. When Jack Sussy told
Jake that he was going to work there Jake named the place Sussy's
because it covered the name on the sign that said Tempo. From
what I understand Samara owned an enormous number of dives in
the area.

Jim Kyle
07-05-2011, 08:31 PM
Hi Jim,

I knew Jack's family was involved in the Nomad, but didn't know that Jack, himself, actually started Nomad.The only time I ever went there, in the days of the original Nomad not long after it opened, Jack himself was at the door greeting guests. I don't know whether he bankrolled it, or simply managed it for someone else...

Prunepicker
07-05-2011, 08:37 PM
The only time I ever went there, in the days of the original Nomad not
long after it opened, Jack himself was at the door greeting guests. I
don't know whether he bankrolled it, or simply managed it for
someone else...
Jack was a schmoozer. That's why Jake hired him. Eventually they
parted ways. Jake owned the Sussy's on N.E. 36th & Lincoln. He
wrote me a check 20+ years ago and it had the logo including the
King's Club on it. I'll look around and see if I still have the copy of
the check.

ctchandler
07-09-2011, 08:10 PM
I just mentioned one of my favorite places on the Food and Restaurants "favorite barbecue" thread. How many of you remember Beasley's barbecue on 63 and Western where Irma's Burger Shack is located? Also do you remember when he was in Pink, OK.? Then he moved back to 63rd and Harvey where Shack Seafood and Oyster Bar is located now. He did a lot of remodeling there and not long after that he was diagnosed with cancer so he wasn't there long.
C. T.

MikeOKC
07-09-2011, 08:17 PM
I just mentioned one of my favorite places on the Food and Restaurants "favorite barbecue" thread. How many of you remember Beasley's barbecue on 63 and Western where Irma's Burger Shack is located? Also do you remember when he was in Pink, OK.? Then he moved back to 63rd and Harvey where Shack Seafood and Oyster Bar is located now. He did a lot of remodeling there and not long after that he was diagnosed with cancer so he wasn't there long.
C. T.

I don't remember Beasley's for some reason. I remember Bayless's Barbeque on the southside. It was Skip Bayless's parents place.
(Skip of Dallas Morning News and ESPN fame.) Skip's brother, Rick, is now a famous chef.

ctchandler
07-09-2011, 08:43 PM
I was raised on Hickory House Barbecue at Southwest 25th and Western. It's the first barbecue I ever had and the last until the late sixties when I returned home from the U. S. Navy. Our problem at the time was whether to have barbecue or go to Weber's (now Coit's) root beer for hot dogs and root beer which is a block South of the Hickory House. I always remember the free child's chilled mug at Weber's. Beasley was the nephew of a country singer/disc jockey and his first name escapes me. I think he might have been on KLPR along with my cousin, "Cousin Jay".
C. T.

I don't remember Beasley's for some reason. I remember Bayless's Barbeque on the southside. It was Skip Bayless's parents place.
(Skip of Dallas Morning News and ESPN fame.) Skip's brother, Rick, is now a famous chef.

MikeOKC
07-09-2011, 09:03 PM
I was raised on Hickory House Barbecue at Southwest 25th and Western. It's the first barbecue I ever had and the last until the late sixties when I returned home from the U. S. Navy. Our problem at the time was whether to have barbecue or go to Weber's (now Coit's) root beer for hot dogs and root beer which is a block South of the Hickory House. I always remember the free child's chilled mug at Weber's. Beasley was the nephew of a country singer/disc jockey and his first name escapes me. I think he might have been on KLPR along with my cousin, "Cousin Jay".
C. T.

I haven't thought of Weber's in years. I remember there being one on the north side just off of 10th street. Penn? Classen? I remember the Orange & Black, for me as a kid, meant Weber's Root Beer (and the 'baby' mugs!) Good memories.

Yes, I remember Bayless's being Hickory House. Good mac n cheese, too. You'd slide the tray along cafeteria style. When we went there (early - mid 60's) there was an upstairs too with large windows looking over the street.

MikeOKC
07-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Wow, I had forgotten about KLPR radio. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the short-lived KLPR-TV was the first UHF television station in Oklahoma City. Ring a bell?

ctchandler
07-09-2011, 09:20 PM
MikeOKC, How about 11th and Penn on the west side of Penn? By the way, I think Weber's is still in Tulsa. Coit's bought the Weber's store(s) in the fifties. I have had this conversation before and I think it was late fifties and they changed the name to Coit's in 1961.
C. T.

I haven't thought of Weber's in years. I remember there being one on the north side just off of 10th street. Penn? Classen? I remember the Orange & Black, for me as a kid, meant Weber's Root Beer (and the 'baby' mugs!) Good memories.

Yes, I remember Bayless's being Hickory House. Good mac n cheese, too. You'd slide the tray along cafeteria style. When we went there (early - mid 60's) there was an upstairs too with large windows looking over the street.

ctchandler
07-09-2011, 09:22 PM
MikeOkc, No, it doesn't ring a bell. I was probably in the Navy when the TV station had it's run.
C. T.

Wow, I had forgotten about KLPR radio. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the short-lived KLPR-TV was the first UHF television station in Oklahoma City. Ring a bell?

MikeOKC
07-09-2011, 09:35 PM
MikeOKC, How about 11th and Penn on the west side of Penn? By the way, I think Weber's is still in Tulsa. Coit's bought the Weber's store(s) in the fifties. I have had this conversation before and I think it was late fifties and they changed the name to Coit's in 1961.
C. T.

You can call me Mike. Yep! That's the place. I had it pictured on the west side of the street.

As for KLPR-TV, I found this reference to it (a lawsuit of some kind) but Jack Beasley was one of the principles in that venture as well.

KLPR after soliciting and considering bids from various suppliers on August 31, 1965, entered into a written lease agreement with Visual covering operating equipment for a TV station, reciting a consideration of $343,125.00, due in sixty monthly installments of $5,718.75..... KLPR received a construction permit for its station from FCC on February 6, 1966, and started broadcasting with the leased equipment in June 1966.
http://law.justia.com/cases/federal/appellate-courts/F2/465/1382/290210/

C.T....You got my mind spinning with old memories tonight.

Prunepicker
07-09-2011, 09:48 PM
I believe the short-lived KLPR-TV was the first UHF television station
in Oklahoma City. Ring a bell?
Correct. It had a silent comedies every afternoon. The show started
with an announcer saying "who's the funny man?" Mann may have
been the actor.

Country music was a big feature, too.