View Full Version : What old business do you remember in OKC?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

corpsman
11-16-2010, 03:28 AM
How about Tom's Bar-B-Q N.E. 10th and I35 or my dad's favorite, Gary Dales I40 and Eastern?

The old man died some time back, but Mom and son still did pretty good Q a few months ago. Miss the old screen door, though.

jmpokc1957
12-09-2010, 10:07 AM
I remember J.C. Banister Auto Repair on N. Western. A good man and a good mechanic. His family lived up the street from me and he'd leave his dinner table to come look at your car. You could trust him. His son, Hal, carries on the business in a different location.

Mike

RealJimbo
12-09-2010, 11:12 AM
My favorite BBQ was Ray's.

No doubt about it, my favorite BBQ of all time was Pulliam's on NE 4th just East of Walnut. Best ribs and sauce I ever ate.

kevinpate
12-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Leo's is now no more, at least temporarily, with both locations closed.
Revocation of sale tax permit if I recall the story correctly from the other night.

If I came into OKC more often this would bother me more, but I do almost all my Q in Norman these days.

lostincolorado
12-15-2010, 03:03 PM
This is going way way back....... back before shopping malls.......

Lee's Optical........ located in downtown...... got my first pair of glasses there I think they cost $9.99.

:dizzy:

lostincolorado
12-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Also,,,,,,,, how about Tall Paul Meade Insurance.......

Quick someone...... what was his phone number?

524-????

Prunepicker
12-16-2010, 06:16 PM
Also, how about Tall Paul Meade Insurance...

Quick someone... what was his phone number?

524-????

skyrick
12-16-2010, 07:22 PM

My head is spinning. When I read your response, PP, I heard the entire jingle in my mind.

Prunepicker
12-16-2010, 09:46 PM
My head is spinning. When I read your response, PP, I heard the
entire jingle in my mind.
It'll probably be in my brain for another 50 years.

That's what I said,
Mead's fine bread.

corpsman
12-17-2010, 04:13 AM
Leo's is now no more, at least temporarily, with both locations closed.
Revocation of sale tax permit if I recall the story correctly from the other night.

If I came into OKC more often this would bother me more, but I do almost all my Q in Norman these days.

According to local news sources the tax permit issues have been resolved. Leo's will reopen today

Achilleslastand
12-21-2010, 02:20 PM
Anyone remember the hobby shop that used to be in shepard mall? I believe it was called the hobby shop. Also anyone remember kiddie city toy stores? There was one at 50th and may ave.

bluedogok
12-21-2010, 06:59 PM
There was a Kiddie City at NW 16th & Meridian where James Lighting is. It was a Safeway before the toy store.

hewi
12-23-2010, 02:19 PM
1. Cooper Theatre DT Broadway
2. The Fox Box 23 MLK
3. Holmes "Buffeteria

grantgeneral78
01-08-2011, 06:40 PM
What was the fox box?

1. Cooper Theatre DT Broadway
2. The Fox Box 23 MLK
3. Holmes "Buffeteria

skyrick
01-08-2011, 07:41 PM
What was the fox box?

A bar.

ctchandler
01-10-2011, 12:07 PM
I'm a new member so hopefully I won't repeat too many. How about Hardy's, Famous for Steaks (and their shore patrol salad), Willow Springs, the Frontier theater, and I saw a reference to a chicken place near Nicolosi's and that was J & R Chicken Ranch. Bishop's restaurant on N. Lincoln, and (somebody help me) I believe Eleanor's steaks on 23rd near Lincoln. Also Shepherd Richardson Rambler. And it was always fun to "cruise" through Carp's drive-in restaurant. Well, that's enough for now, my brain is having a meltdown.
C. T.

CarltonsKeeper
01-10-2011, 01:21 PM
I'm a new member so hopefully I won't repeat too many. How about Hardy's, Famous for Steaks (and their shore patrol salad), Willow Springs, the Frontier theater, and I saw a reference to a chicken place near Nicolosi's and that was J & R Chicken Ranch. Bishop's restaurant on N. Lincoln, and (somebody help me) I believe Eleanor's steaks on 23rd near Lincoln. Also Shepherd Richardson Rambler. And it was always fun to "cruise" through Carp's drive-in restaurant. Well, that's enough for now, my brain is having a meltdown.
C. T.

I remember Hardy's and the shore patrol salad but can't remember where they were located! McKinley elementary was originally prefabs at 36th and McKinley right? What year did they move McKinley to S.W. 54th and Shartel?

mspivey
01-10-2011, 01:36 PM
I did a "find" on every page and didn't see Shotgun Sam's. We used to go there after the races on Friday nights. Many good times.

ctchandler
01-11-2011, 11:20 AM
I remember Hardy's and the shore patrol salad but can't remember where they were located! McKinley elementary was originally prefabs at 36th and McKinley right? What year did they move McKinley to S.W. 54th and Shartel?

I think we talked about this on the Southside forum, but just in case, yes, McKinley was right there in prefabs. I didn't know they moved. It only went through the third grade. And Hardy's was on Sheridan, just West of the Greyhound bus station.
C. T.

skyrick
01-11-2011, 03:43 PM

Wasn't Hardy's (or was it Hardee's) just west of Classen on NW 23rd, south side of the street. I think Brauer or Bauer is the side street. At any rate there used to be a fast food hamburger place called Sandy's at that site. Their sign had an attractive lass in a mini-kilt, one leg on the ground, the other akimbo, in the middle of a highland fling.

Bigrayok
01-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Anyone remember Sandy's Restaurant near 23rd and Classen? I liked their burgers and fries when I was a child.

Bigray in Ok

skyrick
01-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Anyone remember Sandy's Restaurant near 23rd and Classen? I liked their burgers and fries when I was a child.

Bigray in Ok

See post # 740.

ljbab728
01-11-2011, 11:19 PM
See post # 740.

There also was a Sandy's location next door to Norman High School when I was there in the early 60's. It later became McDonald's.

ljbab728
01-12-2011, 12:37 AM
Does anyone remember a restaurant/club on SW 29th that I believe was west of May on the north side of 29th and called something like Louie's 29 Club. I remember going there as a child with my parents. It had pool tables and shuffleboard and "gasp" I believe some illegal gambling in the back room.

Koma
01-24-2011, 06:00 PM
Jones Brothers Grocery on SE 44th St just west of Shields by the TG&Y and the RX drug store on the corner.
The Dairy Queen on the SE corner of 44th and S Sheilds, there's a Walgreens there now.
Elmwood swing pool on south Shields between 48th & 50th st.
The Jack in the Box on 59th and south Penn, there's an Arby's there now.
The Ice Chalet at 3034 north Portland, where I met my wife in Jan 1977.
The #1 Braums store on NW 23rd, used to eat lunch there often.
Stocktons grocery on 44th and S High St.

Koma

Tritone
01-27-2011, 08:48 PM
Need some help here...Koma mentions Elmwood on Shields. I remember it and the pool at Wedgewood on NW Highway (where I learned to swim). I'm trying to place Twilight Beach, thinking it was north of NW 50th and west of Mac Arthur. I've driven around the area, but no clues. Can someone pin it down for me? Thanks.

bluedogok
01-27-2011, 09:22 PM
Need some help here...Koma mentions Elmwood on Shields. I remember it and the pool at Wedgewood on NW Highway (where I learned to swim). I'm trying to place Twilight Beach, thinking it was north of NW 50th and west of Mac Arthur. I've driven around the area, but no clues. Can someone pin it down for me? Thanks.
Here is a thread about it: OKC Talk - Does anyone remember Twilight Beach in OKC? (http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=18819)

Someone said around 54th & Hammond where an apartment complex is located.

MikeOKC
01-27-2011, 09:22 PM
delete

Prunepicker
01-27-2011, 10:44 PM
I'm trying to place Twilight Beach, thinking it was north of NW
50th and west of Mac Arthur. I've driven around the area, but
no clues. Can someone pin it down for me? Thanks.
You are correct!

ctchandler
01-28-2011, 06:30 PM
You are correct!

When I first joined this group, I mentioned a place called "Willow Springs" and nobody responded. I still would like to know if anybody remembers Willow Springs but what I was actually thinking about was Twilight Beach! I remember the juke box and I think it's the first time that I heard "Crazy Arms" sung by Patsy Cline. I remember my dad diving off of a platform and my beautiful mother in her bathing suit. Dang! At my age (67) these are great memories.
C. T.

Tritone
01-29-2011, 09:31 PM
Thanks to all. Perhaps I'm not crazy. Then again...

BayAreaOkie
01-31-2011, 11:08 PM
I'm going to throw a couple out there -- Disclaimer: I have NOT read past the first 3 pages: Featherado's (Del City), Encounters Game Room, After Daddy's Money, Molly Murphy's (I'll guarantee this one is already on the list) The Zoo (now Graham's)

gen70
02-01-2011, 06:56 AM
I'm going to throw a couple out there -- Disclaimer: I have NOT read past the first 3 pages: Featherado's (Del City), Encounters Game Room, After Daddy's Money, Molly Murphy's (I'll guarantee this one is already on the list) The Zoo (now Graham's) I have been to all but, EGR. Remember Rocky's?

sclines
02-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Celbration station has been here 20+ years. Its still there.

Prunepicker
02-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Unfortunately. I mean, yes, it is.

papaOU
02-03-2011, 10:37 PM

Never been there....

ljbab728
02-03-2011, 10:58 PM
I have nothing against Celebation Station at all. I've been there and it's very nice. I do believe, however, that sclines may not be an unbiased observer. He or she has had several posts today in various areas extolling the virtues of Celebration Station.

Larry OKC
02-04-2011, 03:43 AM
McMahons had the greatest footlong chili dogs EVER!

Didn't have the pleasure, but you may want to try the foot long chili dog at the last remaining Big Ed's @ 122nd/N. Penn. Far superior to Sonic's and anyone else's coney (avoid Freddy's) higher priced and half the size!

papaOU
02-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Didn't have the pleasure, but you may want to try the foot long chili dog at the last remaining Big Ed's @ 122nd/N. Penn. Far superior to Sonic's and anyone else's coney (avoid Freddy's) higher priced and half the size!

I gotta go with Coit's and the Coney Island for great hot-dogs...

ctchandler
02-05-2011, 07:54 AM
It's pretty hard to beat the old standbys, Coit's and Coney Island, but I have to admit, the best I have had were at a place called Chicago Hot Dogs. It was only here for a few years and it was on N. .W. 23, just East of Meridian on the North side of the street. They seemed to be crowded most of the time so I don't know why they closed. But, consistency is nice, and I have ordered a number 7 for as long as I can remember. Did they always use numbered dogs?
C. T.

ctchandler
02-05-2011, 07:56 AM
It's pretty hard to beat the old standbys, Coit's and Coney Island, but I have to admit, the best I have had were at a place called Chicago Hot Dogs. It was only here for a few years and it was on N. .W. 23, just East of Meridian on the North side of the street. They seemed to be crowded most of the time so I don't know why they closed. But, consistency is nice, and I have ordered a number 7 for as long as I can remember. Did they always use numbered dogs?
C. T.

I'm sure everybody knows what I meant, but I was referring to Coit's as far as ordering a numbered hot dog.
C. T.

FRISKY
02-05-2011, 11:04 AM
I'm sure everybody knows what I meant, but I was referring to Coit's as far as ordering a numbered hot dog.
C. T.#1 for me........... Chili and onions with onion rings.

bella suzanne
02-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Does anyone remember Sussy's Italian Restaurant ??? My Grandmother worked there and I am trying to remember more details about it since I went to visit her
at work when I was young . I remember Otis , the cook. Best pizza I ever ate !

ctchandler
02-06-2011, 08:33 AM
#1 for me........... Chili and onions with onion rings.

Frisky, sorry, no free lunch, chili and onions is a number 7, my favorite. The number 1 also has mustard. I know that most folks don't consider it a hot dog without mustard, but I don't happen to care for mustard.
C. T.

papaOU
02-06-2011, 11:23 AM
Zoro Taco......

ctchandler
02-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Zoro Taco......

papaOU, very good tacos. Not gourmet, but definitely (in my opinion) better than the Taco Bell, Taco Boy (remember those?), and the other fast food taco places. They were good takeout at the mobile home location on around 55th and Western, West side, then they opened a sit down place in an old drive-in further South on the East side of Western. I'm pretty sure it was South of 59th but North of I-244.
C. T.

Prunepicker
02-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Does anyone remember Sussy's Italian Restaurant? My
Grandmother worked there and I am trying to remember more
details about it since I went to visit her at work when I was
young. I remember Otis, the cook. Best pizza I ever ate !
Do you mean the first one on N.E. 23rd?

YO MUDA
02-06-2011, 04:04 PM
JIMMY NIX RACING on S Durland ST.

ctchandler
02-06-2011, 04:36 PM

Prunepicker, The first one was on Lincoln Blvd.
C. T.

bella suzanne
02-06-2011, 05:36 PM

Hi, my Grandmother worked at one by Capital Hill and also one on NE 36th and Lincoln.
I remember the last one the most. She worked for Jake Samara.

bella suzanne
02-06-2011, 05:56 PM
C. T.

Hi, CT ..... do you remember Sussy's. Any info would be appreciated. Just remembering my Grandmother, Wilma. She worked there for many years. This was back in the 60's and 70's . I used to go to work with her in the summertime when I visited her.

ctchandler
02-06-2011, 07:06 PM
Hi, CT ..... do you remember Sussy's. Any info would be appreciated. Just remembering my Grandmother, Wilma. She worked there for many years. This was back in the 60's and 70's . I used to go to work with her in the summertime when I visited her.

Hello, go to my posts on Southside OKC Memories, and that is what I remember. If you can't locate it, let me know and I will cut and paste it on this thread.
C. T.

bella suzanne
02-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Hello, go to my posts on Southside OKC Memories, and that is what I remember. If you can't locate it, let me know and I will cut and paste it on this thread.
C. T.

Thank you,
I read your post on southside memories. I remember when my Grandmother retired and moved to the country, she later said that
Jake opened a place called THE SPAGHETTI FACTORY. She said that he served the drinks in mason jars. This was before Bricktown, so
I wonder if that is where THE SPAGHETTI WHAREHOUSE got the idea ?

skyrick
02-07-2011, 05:33 AM
Joe Esco Tire Co. R.I.P. Joe.

ctchandler
02-07-2011, 07:23 AM
Thank you,
I read your post on southside memories. I remember when my Grandmother retired and moved to the country, she later said that
Jake opened a place called THE SPAGHETTI FACTORY. She said that he served the drinks in mason jars. This was before Bricktown, so
I wonder if that is where THE SPAGHETTI WHAREHOUSE got the idea ?

Actually, the spaghetti Warehouse started out of state. I ate at one in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area long before bricktown. The Spaghetti Factory was in the Paseo district around N. W. 34th, East of Shartel.
C. T.

USG'60
02-07-2011, 07:37 AM
Actually, CT, it was on Paseo, a half block south of 30th. It has been completely redone in the past year but is sitting empty while John Belt figures out what he wants to do with it. Drive by and look at it. It is on the east side of the street. Pretty neat, actually.

ctchandler
02-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Actually, CT, it was on Paseo, a half block south of 30th. It has been completely redone in the past year but is sitting empty while John Belt figures out what he wants to do with it. Drive by and look at it. It is on the east side of the street. Pretty neat, actually.

Thanks, When Jake left Sussy's and I found out (I think from the Oklahoma Gazette) he had opened the place in the Paseo district, I ate there several times, just didn't know the actually streets. By the way, I'm not sure my memory is correct but was Jake Samara Cecil's brother? Remember Cecil? OU's number one fan with his little old car and gold filled front teeth with "OU" in gold? I seem to remember Jake telling me they were brothers, but that could just be senility taking over!
C. T.

USG'60
02-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Cousins, if not brothers.

ctchandler
02-07-2011, 11:56 AM
A couple of other restaurants have recently come to mind. Do any of you South OKC folks remember Ray's Barbecue on the East side of Blackwelder, one block North of the elementary school at approximately 47th and S. Blackwelder? Another restaurant is Tokyo Gardens on Lincoln Blvd. There's an Italian/pizza restaurant there now. It's just North of Lincoln Plaza at about 45th and N. Lincoln.
C. T.

Prunepicker
02-07-2011, 03:34 PM
C. T.
I always thought that was the second since Jake hired Jack at his restaurant
on N.E. 23rd.