View Full Version : What old business do you remember in OKC?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

papaOU
10-13-2010, 11:24 PM
I used to go there for fishing tackle. That was before I went to work for TG&Y.

Along the same line, how about Fish-masters?

jmarkross
10-14-2010, 01:44 PM
I miss shopping in the 1960's at that giant place...AMC...(I think) around 10th and Penn as I recall...they had everything!! Good prices too...

flintysooner
10-14-2010, 02:47 PM
I miss shopping in the 1960's at that giant place...AMC...(I think) around 10th and Penn as I recall...they had everything!! Good prices too...I remember (or think I do) the original AMC - although where I don't recall. It was a huge building and had more stuff in it than I'd ever seen in one place. I still remember being kind of awestruck by the people at the front that checked your membership card before you could get in.

Never did go to GEX because as I recall it you had to be a "government employee."

Prunepicker
10-14-2010, 05:24 PM
I remember (or think I do) the original AMC - although where I
don't recall.
It was on the east side of N. Penn and about 100 yards south
of N.W. 10th.

If I remember it looked like a quonsat hut.

Tritone
10-14-2010, 05:50 PM
It was on the east side of N. Penn and about 100 yards south
of N.W. 10th.

If I remember it looked like a quonsat hut.

Mr. Picker, Help me out a bit if you can. From your posts I believe you are a few years ahead of me...not many, mind you...and hope you can put my memories in order. I can remember when I was a young one going with my folks to AMC before it was the huge place at 10th & Penn. I recall going south on Virginia and around the bend on to Linwood. Then, if memory serves me correctly we turned south somewhere and ended up at "AMC" somewhere west of the Lone Star brewery. The folks also spoke of a "vinegar factory" in the same area. Eb-A, huh? I detect some insight!

jmarkross
10-14-2010, 06:01 PM
Mr. Picker, Help me out a bit if you can. From your posts I believe you are a few years ahead of me...not many, mind you...and hope you can put my memories in order. I can remember when I was a young one going with my folks to AMC before it was the huge place at 10th & Penn. I recall going south on Virginia and around the bend on to Linwood. Then, if memory serves me correctly we turned south somewhere and ended up at "AMC" somewhere west of the Lone Star brewery. The folks also spoke of a "vinegar factory" in the same area. Eb-A, huh? I detect some insight!

I, too, remember the older location of AMC...not sure where though...but I went there with my folks before I was cognizant of location in OKC too much (we lived in Norman)...late 50's or very early 60's...I was around 10 or so back then...

jmarkross
10-14-2010, 06:03 PM
I also remember when Lone Star was the Progress Beer Brewery....

flintysooner
10-14-2010, 06:20 PM
Yes, I am thinking maybe mid to late 1950's and I too recall it being kind of hidden in behind some other buildings. I remember some kind of metal structure but seems to me it was tall with open steel rafters rather than Quonset style but honestly just don't remember that detail.

Progress Brewery back then had free beer for guests and employees or so my memory says.

jmarkross
10-14-2010, 06:26 PM
Yes, I am thinking maybe mid to late 1950's and I too recall it being kind of hidden in behind some other buildings. I remember some kind of metal structure but seems to me it was tall with open steel rafters rather than Quonset style but honestly just don't remember that detail.

Progress Brewery back then had free beer for guests and employees or so my memory says.

The older AMC location made their "low price--no frills" image work quite well...it was hidden away in a circuitous place west of downtown as I recall...maybe around 4th or 5th in a maze of older industrial establishments...the newer location on 10th was a maze of connected buildings some of which were rounded-top like quonset huts...I used to by LP records there at a good price and crapola of all kinds--was a bit of a Pier One Imports predecessor in that sense...they also had a LOT of jewelry--for some reason. It was a true maze of things...

flintysooner
10-14-2010, 06:32 PM
I think the old AMC was designed so customers had to walk past a lot of that stuff to get to what they wanted because that's what we always did. Although I have no recollection at all of what we bought there.

Tritone
10-14-2010, 08:00 PM
Thanks, all. It sounds like none us can pinpoint where the "old" AMC was but at least I know I'm not completely crazy. These nostalgia threads are the reason I signed up. Good stuff. I have detailed memories of the "new" AMC but the old place is just a little too faint.

Generals64
10-14-2010, 08:33 PM
Along the same line, how about Fish-masters?

fishmasters was a company owned by Bob Brown. The location was on N. Portland. Bob's son owns a year-one car parts company there now...Called Wesco....Bob was a great guy. I bought thousands of those fishing floats....used to retail them for $8.99 plus inner tube...

Generals64
10-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Thanks, all. It sounds like none us can pinpoint where the "old" AMC was but at least I know I'm not completely crazy. These nostalgia threads are the reason I signed up. Good stuff. I have detailed memories of the "new" AMC but the old place is just a little too faint.

Location was east of where the Salvation Army is located now. Yes, it was in a quonsat Hut and the other metal structures around. The building consisted of three buildings total. When the now AMC Flea Market was there I had a store in the current building. But, after TG&Y closed I worked in sales and called on the owners of the now defunct AMC (American Candy Company...or...American Mutual company) it was owned by the Homsey brothers....They were "tough" buyers and if they couldn't get it for their price they wouldn't buy. You got your I.D. card when you turned 13. I never did know why the significance of age 13 was....

Prunepicker
10-14-2010, 10:00 PM
Mr. Picker, Help me out a bit if you can. From your posts I believe
you are a few years ahead of me...not many, mind you... and hope
you can put my memories in order. I can remember when I was a
young one going with my folks to AMC before it was the huge
place at 10th & Penn. I recall going south on Virginia and around
the bend on to Linwood. Then, if memory serves me correctly we
turned south somewhere and ended up at "AMC" somewhere west
of the Lone Star brewery. The folks also spoke of a "vinegar
factory" in the same area. Eb-A, huh? I detect some insight!

It was directly north of the ball field where the Oklahoma City
Indians played. As far as I can remember it was on N. Penn
and on the east side. It's possible that an even earlier site
existed.

I'm a professional bassist, jazz & orchestral unless electric
bass pays more, right here in OKC. I teach students to use
tritone subs, too. Technically, it should be Eb-Bbb.

Deanna
10-16-2010, 03:02 PM
I grew up working at both Glen's Hikry Inn and the little bar-b-que place across the street - Hikry Pit Bar-B-Q. My dad was the manager of the bar-b-que place and of course Glen owned both places. Sure do miss the great bar-b-que.

I also remember Nicolosi's Italian restaurant further west on 10th street. Loved their food as well and my family ate there about once a week or so - the lasagne was my favorite - and of course their salads. I was trying to see if maybe there was a recipe for their house salad dressing. It was so good! Ahhh, those were the days. What a shame all three places are gone.

Prunepicker
10-19-2010, 07:21 PM
The parking sign for Glen's is still on 10th. Does anyone know what's
going to happen to it?

Generals64
10-20-2010, 08:10 AM
The parking sign for Glen's is still on 10th. Does anyone know what's
going to happen to it?

I tried to call you back yesterday. I want to go and attempt to talk someone out of that. Just a bit afraid of a ladder right now....I went by there once and my Spanish wasn't good enough....

Prunepicker
10-20-2010, 08:37 AM
I tried to call you back yesterday. I want to go and attempt to
talk someone out of that. Just a bit afraid of a ladder right now...
I went by there once and my Spanish wasn't good enough...
Try this. Aqui puerco! Donde esta los banos. It means, "excuse
me, please put the sign in my truck." Let me know how is goes.

Generals64
10-20-2010, 03:14 PM
esta no bueno....Senor'...Mi Espana es mas...esta bueno?

Prunepicker
10-20-2010, 06:17 PM
los phooey bel grande!

Tritone
10-20-2010, 07:41 PM
I had many a good meal at Nicolosi's when they were west of Ann Arbor, between Curt's and the Chicken Ranch (right across from Parr's). Anyone remember when Nicolosi's was at 10th and May (and yes, the fairgrounds were at NE 10th and Eastern)?

ljbab728
10-20-2010, 11:09 PM
I had many a good meal at Nicolosi's when they were west of Ann Arbor, between Curt's and the Chicken Ranch (right across from Parr's). Anyone remember when Nicolosi's was at 10th and May (and yes, the fairgrounds were at NE 10th and Eastern)?

The first place I ever remember having pizza was at Nicolosi's when it was on May.

Generals64
10-21-2010, 07:37 AM

They were close to 10th & Eastern. The school district owned half of the place and the fair rides leased it during the fair season. They lower (south) part of the land belonged to the city and they were hoping for a complete Fairgrounds location there. Due to the other attractions on Eastern, that was the perfect location....I remember when they moved everything to May avenue and then the Semi-centennial (1957) came around and the city began building the fair grounds....I think Allen Street was the mayor then and possibly Edmondson was vying for the Senate seat for Oklahoma.....Dewey Edmondson....Boy, the old fair grounds were pretty "seedy" always wanted to take a metal detector back there......

Generals64
10-21-2010, 07:40 AM
The first place I ever remember having pizza was at Nicolosi's when it was on May.

================================================== ================================================== ===================
I don't remember them being on May but, I do remember the first time I ate there and tried to eat there every chance I could get. I remember always asking for Coors in a glass and the waitresses would bring out Ginger Ale......thought that was kinda neat the way they would interact with even the kids under 21....If my memory serves me right I think they had a "date night" special pizza....you know, one that kids could afford.....to bad there isn't a place like that any more....

Generals64
11-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Anybody remember "Okie Tire Co"?.....I went down Robinson and didn't realize they had gone Spanish on us....

USG'60
11-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Are you talking about OK Rubber Welders that was between 25th and 29th on Robinson? (I think)

papaOU
11-11-2010, 11:30 PM
Anybody remember "Okie Tire Co"?.....I went down Robinson and didn't realize they had gone Spanish on us....

Was it on 15th and robinson, amigo?

jmarkross
11-12-2010, 03:17 AM
Don't we all miss--RE-TREADS? And the lovely spectre of one flying off and heading airborne at your windshield at 70mph...???

corpsman
11-12-2010, 03:37 AM
Too bad they are still legal and are used on "big rigs" and buses. Remember the rash of fatal charter bus crashes a couple of years ago? Blown out, thrown off retreads on charter buses! All those "alligators" on the highway? Same thing.............

skyrick
11-12-2010, 05:34 AM
Don't we all miss--RE-TREADS? And the lovely spectre of one flying off and heading airborne at your windshield at 70mph...???

I have one better than that. Here in Arlington, TX, in the Hispanic auto repair district along Division Street, there is a place advertising "Tire Rentals!!" I kid you not.

papaOU
11-12-2010, 01:09 PM
I have one better than that. Here in Arlington, TX, in the Hispanic auto repair district along Division Street, there is a place advertising "Tire Rentals!!" I kid you not.

There is one at S.W. 57th and Western. I think it has closed down.

jmarkross
11-12-2010, 02:57 PM

I lived in L.A. for over 25 years...all quite familar to me...along with corn-on-the-cob sold on the street..."elotes! elotes!"...complete with ankle-deep cobs in the streets--tossed among the crap-filled Pampers thrown out of car windows right in front of Denny's...a rich culture...

jmarkross
11-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Best sign I ever saw in L.A.--near the Fabulous Forum...at a transmission repair place..."Come On In--We'll Cry With You!!"

Achilleslastand
11-13-2010, 05:28 PM
McMahons drive inn at nw 36th and walker.....great burgers,drinks and hand cut fries. Now we are blessed with a sonic on every corner....isnt it a great time to live in okc?

papaOU
11-13-2010, 07:48 PM
Found out today that County line BBQ has closed. Any body know a place that has beef ribs?

Prunepicker
11-13-2010, 08:32 PM
Found out today that County line BBQ has closed. Any body
know a place that has beef ribs?
Texas.

ljbab728
11-13-2010, 11:00 PM
Texas.

And OU and OSU both thought Bevo tasted really good this year. LOL

corpsman
11-14-2010, 07:46 AM
Found out today that County line BBQ has closed. Any body know a place that has beef ribs?

Van's Pig Stand in Norman is now a flower shop!!!!

skyrick
11-14-2010, 08:22 AM
McMahons drive inn at nw 36th and walker.....great burgers,drinks and hand cut fries. Now we are blessed with a sonic on every corner....isnt it a great time to live in okc?

McMahons had the greatest footlong chili dogs EVER!

papaOU
11-14-2010, 10:33 AM
Van's Pig Stand in Norman is now a flower shop!!!!

The OKC location, west of western on SW 59 has closed as well. Do Hispanics like b-b-q ( This is a serious question)?

FRISKY
11-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Van's Pig Stand in Norman is now a flower shop!!!!That is quite a surprise...since FRISKYette and I had lunch and dinner there while in Norman for the OU football game yesterday. We didn't see any flowers, but we did see a flying pig.

corpsman
11-14-2010, 11:59 AM
That is quite a surprise...since FRISKYette and I had lunch and dinner there while in Norman for the OU football game yesterday. We didn't see any flowers, but we did see a flying pig.

I could be mistaken about Van's, but I'm sure that one of the old buildings on the west side of Porter and it sure looked like Van,s is now a flower shop and I don't mean Ardella's which is on the east side

jmarkross
11-14-2010, 01:15 PM
That is quite a surprise...since FRISKYette and I had lunch and dinner there while in Norman for the OU football game yesterday. We didn't see any flowers, but we did see a flying pig.

I remember Van's...when it was Strick's BBQ owned by O.M. and Vera Stricklin...I knew their son well in Jr. High and got a free Pork sandwich almost everyday after school which was a couple of blocks from there...used to spend the night with them as well and Vera would get up at midnight and we would drive down to the place and "turn" the ribs in the smoke pit...they knew how to make BBQ better than anyone I have ever seen before or since.

grantgeneral78
11-14-2010, 04:37 PM
I could be mistaken about Van's, but I'm sure that one of the old buildings on the west side of Porter and it sure looked like Van,s is now a flower shop and I don't mean Ardella's which is on the east side

Yeah the building the flower shop is in looks very similar to Van`s, but they are still there.

Prunepicker
11-14-2010, 08:35 PM
There's a Van's on S.W. 134th near Telephone Road.
Really good! Van's is 70 years old this year. Shawnee
is where the original still is.

Tritone
11-14-2010, 08:46 PM
Indeed it is good. Is the original in Shawnee as good or is it better?

Eb DOWN to A

papaOU
11-14-2010, 08:51 PM

The building you are talking about was an old filling station across the street and north of Vans. Da pig is still pullin'

Prunepicker
11-14-2010, 08:51 PM
Indeed it is good. Is the original in Shawnee as good or is it
better?

Eb DOWN to A
It's been a while. It's probably as good.

G down to Db

papaOU
11-14-2010, 09:02 PM
I think there is one in Pauls Valley. That's where they have the Okie Noodlin Tournament.

corpsman
11-15-2010, 03:40 AM
The building you are talking about was an old filling station across the street and north of Vans. Da pig is still pullin'

I stand corrected.

Generals64
11-15-2010, 09:03 AM
I think there is one in Pauls Valley. That's where they have the Okie Noodlin Tournament.

that joint is called Bob's Bar=B-Que....they have a pig just like Van's on their sign. The first Van's I ever ate at was on Hiway 77 south of Davis....The only thing left there now is the foundation of the old Building....

Prunepicker
11-15-2010, 09:30 AM
that joint is called Bob's Bar B-Que... they have a pig just like
Van's on their sign.
Isn't Bob's BBQ from Ada? It seems to me that's where it all
started.

gen70
11-15-2010, 09:42 AM
My favorite BBQ was Ray's.

papaOU
11-15-2010, 09:44 AM
Isn't Bob's BBQ from Ada? It seems to me that's where it all
started.

Give that man a rib. Ada is the place. When my sister lived in McAlester we would meet at Bob's since it is half way between her home and OKC.

Prunepicker
11-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Give that man a rib. Ada is the place.
Pork, please.

ljbab728
11-15-2010, 10:37 PM
I recently read something about a catering service in OKC called Aunt Pittypat's. That reminded of a restaurant that I used to go to maybe 25 - 30 years ago that I seem to remember having the same name. It was in an old restored house in north OKC. Does anyone else remember that or am I just imagining things?

skyrick
11-15-2010, 10:50 PM
My favorite BBQ was Ray's.

A vote for George's BBQ here. Original was at NE 63rd and either Kelley or Eastern. Later they had one just east of NW 23rd and Western; Hemi's was there later.

Prunepicker
11-15-2010, 10:56 PM
A vote for George's BBQ here. Original was at NE 63rd and either
Kelley or Eastern. Later they had one just east of NW 23rd and
Western; Hemi's was there later.
When was that? Hemi's was just west of N. Western and N.W.
23rd. In fact, it was adjacent to the Mayflower theater.
Good pizza! I don't remember George's BBQ.

papaOU
11-16-2010, 12:11 AM
How about Tom's Bar-B-Q N.E. 10th and I35 or my dad's favorite, Gary Dales I40 and Eastern?

Prunepicker
11-16-2010, 12:21 AM
How about Tom's Bar-B-Q N.E. 10th and I35 or my dad's favorite,
Gary Dales I40 and Eastern?
I didn't know about Tom's. We learn sumpin' ever' week.

Gary Dale's? I ate there several times and didn't realize it was
BBQ. Just like Crockett's. The only time I cared for Crockett's
was in Lawton. They didn't use the same recipe as the ones in
OKC and Edmond. Crockett's was a crock, but it wasn't a
crock of BBQ.

Gary Dale's? BBQ?