View Full Version : What old business do you remember in OKC?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

papaOU
10-26-2009, 10:06 AM
Did anyone other than me and a few friends visit Huntley's?

When I got to CHJH & CHHS, taps were forbidden. Did not keep us from getting them, but the things were removed for us by a shop-teacher.

papaOU
10-26-2009, 10:08 AM
Did anyone other than myself and friends visit Huntley's?

Taps were illegal by the time I got to CHJH.

SoonerDave
10-26-2009, 10:27 AM
Anyone here remember Kiddie City on SW 59th and Western? They had a store on the northside, too. One of the old guard toy stores that had everything but the kitchen sink.

Also remember Toys By Roy in Crossroads when it was new. They had ALL kinds of *obscure* toys and games, with a fabulous animated/motorized Lego display every day. I bought my Jimmy The Greek Action Football game at Toys By Roy, and it rocked. Wish I still had it. :)

papaOU
10-26-2009, 06:39 PM
Anyone here remember Kiddie City on SW 59th and Western? They had a store on the northside, too. One of the old guard toy stores that had everything but the kitchen sink.

Also remember Toys By Roy in Crossroads when it was new. They had ALL kinds of *obscure* toys and games, with a fabulous animated/motorized Lego display every day. I bought my Jimmy The Greek Action Football game at Toys By Roy, and it rocked. Wish I still had it. :)

Did it handicap sporting events including horse racing????????????

bluedogok
10-26-2009, 08:01 PM
NW 16th & Meridian where James Lighting is now, it was a Safeway store before it was the toy store.

Prunepicker
10-26-2009, 08:18 PM
NW 16th & Meridian where James Lighting is now, it was a Safeway store
before it was the toy store.
That was a long, long time ago. 60's maybe? I don't remember a Safeway in
the early 70's and I lived a few blocks from there.

bluedogok
10-26-2009, 09:11 PM
My parents moved into the neighborhood behind that center in December of 1965 (and still live there), that was right before birthday #2 for me so I don't remember that far back. The Safeway closed in the early 70's, I do remember going there. It closed after the larger ones at 18th & Drexel and 23rd & Ann Arbor opened.

papaOU
10-27-2009, 03:12 PM
Hunter's Battery Co. west of Walker on SW 25th burned last night......

I have no idea what was in there before, but Hunter's has been there for as long as I remember.

Charlie40
10-28-2009, 09:12 AM

I remember Kiddie City on SW 59th, I got me a big wheel there and other toys. I still drive through there and reminiss about how it used to be and the shops that were in there in the 70's

dotbird
10-28-2009, 08:27 PM
Anyone remember Twilight Beach on the northwestern side of town? Had a rope swing and a wooden platform out in the middle. Was on MacArthur or Meridian, I think.

Prunepicker
10-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Anyone remember Twilight Beach on the northwestern side of town? Had a
rope swing and a wooden platform out in the middle. Was on MacArthur or
Meridian, I think.

N. MacArthur! There's an advertisement that shows up on these threads
every once in a while.

Generals64
10-29-2009, 08:28 AM
Anyone remember Twilight Beach on the northwestern side of town? Had a rope swing and a wooden platform out in the middle. Was on MacArthur or Meridian, I think.

================================================== ===========
Check through the Nostalgia threads and you'll find one on Twilight Beach....

Generals64
11-20-2009, 10:27 AM
Anybody out there remember Beck Jewelry???They were originally at Airline
Shopping Center and then moved to Grant Square Shopping center..........

RealJimbo
11-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Hal Owen Studio...I KNOW you know about that one, 64.

Generals64
11-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Hal Owen Studio...I KNOW you know about that one, 64.

================================================== ==========
Yep, Senior Picture made there and My wife had her Wedding picture made there.....Of course Hal never would charge us for the pictures since I helped his girls clean up at closing time......He was a good old guy....Read you PM...

CarltonsKeeper
11-21-2009, 02:51 PM
Snodgrass Furniture Store, S.W. 29th and McKinley later to become Wilson Furniture!!!

papaOU
11-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Snodgrass Furniture Store, S.W. 29th and McKinley later to become Wilson Furniture!!!

When it closed it was like the final nail in the coffin of Capitol Hill.

papaOU
11-23-2009, 03:14 AM
Does anyone remember or have heard of "Garlands Drive-In" at N.W. 22nd and Broadway?

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/photos-oklahoma/OKC-GarlandsDriveIn.jpg

FRISKY
11-23-2009, 04:33 AM
Does anyone remember or have heard of "Garlands Drive-In" at N.W. 22nd and Broadway?

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/photos-oklahoma/OKC-GarlandsDriveIn.jpgIt must be closed on Sunday. I tried the phone number on the ad, but didn't get an answer... :doh: lol

That looks like it would have been in the park area behind where Fire Station 5 is now, but none of the streets run east of Broadway any longer.

RealJimbo
11-23-2009, 01:35 PM
How about Marlow's Drive-In that was on N. Broadway, about 16th? I worked for Jerry Brown at his used car lot when I was 18 back in the summer of 1966 and we went to Marlow's to pick up lunch. They had a big old fashioned sign with a cowboy riding a horse that was up on its hind legs.

Prunepicker
11-23-2009, 02:10 PM
Cherry's Diners.
Johnny's Topperburger on N.W. 12 & N. Hudson.
The Little Red Barn, @ N.W. 4th and N. Hudson.
Martin's Restaurant on N.W. 11th and N. Hudson.

RealJimbo
11-24-2009, 10:07 AM
Cherry's Diners.
Johnny's Topperburger on N.W. 12 & N. Hudson.
The Little Red Barn, @ N.W. 4th and N. Hudson.
Martin's Restaurant on N.W. 11th and N. Hudson.

Oh yeah, those Cherry's Burg-a-terias. They had awesome burgers. Pink Kitchens? One was on about NE 23rd and Lottie.

papaOU
11-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Oh yeah, those Cherry's Burg-a-terias. They had awesome burgers. Pink Kitchens? One was on about NE 23rd and Lottie.

How about Chicks Burger Bars? There were three downtown locations. Cherry's and Chick's were almost identical twins. Same type bldg, counter, menus......

The location near N.W. 10Th and Broadway south of the service station (If you don't know what a service station is you're not old enough to be reading this) changed hands a couple of times.........

RealJimbo
11-25-2009, 10:22 AM
How about Chicks Burger Bars? There were three downtown locations. Cherry's and Chick's were almost identical twins. Same type bldg, counter, menus......

The location near N.W. 10Th and Broadway south of the service station (If you don't know what a service station is you're not old enough to be reading this) changed hands a couple of times.........

Yeah, I remember Chick's. Were those buildings pre-fab or just leftover interurban trolley cars?

papaOU
11-25-2009, 11:20 AM
Yeah, I remember Chick's. Were those buildings pre-fab or just leftover interurban trolley cars?

I don't know. There is still one at SW26Th and Walker. Southwest corner.

Generals64
11-25-2009, 04:19 PM
The one on 26th was also an Ellen's Grille:....My Mother worked there....About 1957-58..........Hey did anyone notice ????Texanna Red's Place is GONE...

Prunepicker
11-25-2009, 04:25 PM
... Hey did anyone notice? Texanna Red's Place is GONE...
Yes, it's been gone for quite a while. It was one of the worst Mexican
restaurants, EVER!

TeriOKC
11-26-2009, 06:42 AM
Sitting here reading this thread with Mr. TeriOKC. He wants to know if any of you out there there Jacques' Sign of the Ram that used to be in a hotel out by the airport. It was pretty upscale, especially for all of us southsiders. The Mr.'s parents were there every single Friday night for years with their friends. For the younger folks who read this thread, "Jacques" was Jacques Orenstein, a real-life French chef who owned restaurants over the years and made his home in OKC. He died about 10 years ago.

Have a happy Thanksgiving!

flintysooner
11-26-2009, 06:59 AM
Oh yeah, those Cherry's Burg-a-terias. They had awesome burgers. Pink Kitchens? One was on about NE 23rd and Lottie.The Pink Kitchen I recall was on the NW corner of 23rd and Broadway. Ate lunch (hamburger and fries) there a lot during the summers of the early to mid 60's. Can't remember the names of the people though which is amazing to me. Longbell was just east across Broadway.

Added: Maybe one name is Roy Gomers or Gompers or something similar. I think he wasn't the original owner. There was a lady, too, and maybe a cook. I'm thinking between maybe 1962 and 1965 or thereabouts.

flintysooner
11-26-2009, 07:02 AM
Sitting here reading this thread with Mr. TeriOKC. He wants to know if any of you out there there Jacques' Sign of the Ram that used to be in a hotel out by the airport. It was pretty upscale, especially for all of us southsiders. The Mr.'s parents were there every single Friday night for years with their friends. For the younger folks who read this thread, "Jacques" was Jacques Orenstein, a real-life French chef who owned restaurants over the years and made his home in OKC. He died about 10 years ago.

Have a happy Thanksgiving!I do.

I remember reading an article about Jacques Orenstein over at OKC History.

See Jacque's Last Meal (http://okchistory.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=228%3Ajacques-last-meal&catid=41%3Apeople&Itemid=78)

okiescotty
11-26-2009, 07:38 AM
Does anyone remember the Brown Derby on SW 29th, about a block west of Western (maybe Klein). They had the best ice creams. They turned a cone upside down and dipped it in chocolate and then nuts.

I saw some mentioned Humpty Dumpty. My dad was assistant manager at the one on SW 25th and Walker until 1955. Mr. Clevenger was the manager.

Prunepicker
11-26-2009, 09:17 AM
Sitting here reading this thread with Mr. TeriOKC. He wants to know if any of
you out there there Jacques' Sign of the Ram that used to be in a hotel out
by the airport. It was pretty upscale, especially for all of us southsiders.

Have a happy Thanksgiving!
Wasn't the hotel by the airport a Sheraton? I never ate there.

RealJimbo
11-26-2009, 09:44 PM
I do.

I remember reading an article about Jacques Orenstein over at OKC History.

See Jacque's Last Meal (http://okchistory.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=228%3Ajacques-last-meal&catid=41%3Apeople&Itemid=78)

I went to H.S. with Jacques' son, Lon. He also had at one time a restaurant at NW 50th and Shartel.

skyrick
11-29-2009, 12:06 PM
The Pink Kitchen I recall was on the NW corner of 23rd and Broadway. Ate lunch (hamburger and fries) there a lot during the summers of the early to mid 60's. .

I went to NE High School from 68-71 and the Pink Kitchen I know was at nw 36th & Kelly.

Rick

kevinpate
11-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Wasn't the hotel by the airport a Sheraton? I never ate there.

So far as I know, it was then, and is today, a Sheraton. Not sure if it ever flew someone else's flag in between then and now.

grantgeneral78
01-07-2010, 12:02 PM
What year did the Ford manufacturing plant downtown close down?

sam greenroyd
01-07-2010, 03:17 PM
The manufactruing plant closed I Believe around 1930 and set empty until 1968 Then reopened as a remaufacturing plant for parts.Then closed in 2002 or 2003

grantgeneral78
01-07-2010, 05:24 PM
I knew it was not that long ago it closed down.....Seems someone could find a good use for the old building make it like a paseo.

CarltonsKeeper
01-07-2010, 07:25 PM
What year did the Ford manufacturing plant downtown close down?
The Plant on Main Street I'm told is now Oklahoma's only liquor distillery!! I've bought their Vodka and it's clearly marked "Made in Oklahoma City" I think the name of the Vodka is something like "Meteaor" I know it sure made me me Taller, Stronger and Faster than I've been in quite a while!! LMAO Seriously though, it's not a "CheapO" and is going over big!!

gen70
01-07-2010, 07:32 PM
The Plant on Main Street I'm told is now Oklahoma's only liquor distillery!! I've bought their Vodka and it's clearly marked "Made in Oklahoma City" I think the name of the Vodka is something like "Meteaor" I know it sure made me me Taller, Stronger and Faster than I've been in quite a while!! LMAO Seriously though, it's not a "CheapO" and is going over big!! Funny thing...CK..Vodka has that effect on me as well.

grantgeneral78
01-08-2010, 08:19 AM
Yeah and tequila makes some folks clothes fall off!

CarltonsKeeper
01-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Yeah and tequila makes some folks clothes fall off!
Let's just hope that Gen/64 doesen't drink Tequila!! LOL I'll have nightmares for a month just thinking of such a sight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bigrayok
01-08-2010, 02:37 PM
My Pi Pizza at N.W. 63 and N.W Expressway.I have not had Chicago style deep dish pizza as good since they closed in the 80's. I liked the ingredients they used, especially the sausage. I have not tasted sausage on a pizza that compares since then.

Bigray in Ok

Prunepicker
01-08-2010, 02:41 PM
My Pi Pizza at N.W. 63 and N.W Expressway.I have not had Chicago style
deep dish pizza as good since they closed in the 80's. I liked the ingredients
they used, especially the sausage. I have not tasted sausage on a pizza that
compares since then.
It was very good. Wasn't there one in Tulsa, too?

Bigrayok
01-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Yes.

grantgeneral78
01-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Let's just hope that Gen/64 doesen't drink Tequila!! LOL I'll have nightmares for a month just thinking of such a sight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow......THANKS FOR THAT!:hairyguy:

toxiew
01-08-2010, 04:58 PM
dans indian taco

CarltonsKeeper
01-14-2010, 09:22 AM
I knew it was not that long ago it closed down.....Seems someone could find a good use for the old building make it like a paseo.
Russian-inspired vodka made in Oklahoma

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Russia Distillery in OKC.
Located in the old Fred Jones plant on west Main Street.
website....Metore's - Old Russia Distillery and Spirits

Read more: Russian-inspired vodka made in Oklahoma (Oklahoma City, Jones: store, cheapest, building) - (OK) - City-Data Forum (http://www.city-data.com/forum/oklahoma-city/260678-russian-inspired-vodka-made-oklahoma.html#ixzz0cbzX9e1a)

grantgeneral78
01-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Russian-inspired vodka made in Oklahoma

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Russia Distillery in OKC.
Located in the old Fred Jones plant on west Main Street.
website....Metore's - Old Russia Distillery and Spirits

Read more: Russian-inspired vodka made in Oklahoma (Oklahoma City, Jones: store, cheapest, building) - (OK) - City-Data Forum (http://www.city-data.com/forum/oklahoma-city/260678-russian-inspired-vodka-made-oklahoma.html#ixzz0cbzX9e1a)

Well how cool is that!.....great find.

Wonder if any of them are cosmonats?

CarltonsKeeper
01-15-2010, 08:51 AM
Well how cool is that!.....great find.

Wonder if any of them are cosmonats?
I don't know about the "Cosmonaut's," but you do get one of those Russian style fur hats when you buy a case or more!!! LMAO Gen/64 probably has then hangin' all over the house; ask him to wear one to the meeting!!!!

papaOU
01-15-2010, 09:26 AM
I don't know about the "Cosmonaut's," but you do get one of those Russian style fur hats when you buy a case or more!!! LMAO Gen/64 probably has then hangin' all over the house; ask him to wear one to the meeting!!!!

Does he not always wear one to the meeting?

Generals64
01-15-2010, 01:01 PM

================================================== ===============
Hey, why don't you come to tomorrow's meeting????

CarltonsKeeper
01-15-2010, 02:52 PM
================================================== ===============
Hey, why don't you come to tomorrow's meeting????
Got to take the wifey poo to the Home and Garden or whatever it is at the Fair Grounds; I can hardly wait!! LOL But DO save me and Gen/78 a couple of those Fur hats.......

grantgeneral78
01-15-2010, 04:58 PM
Got to take the wifey poo to the Home and Garden or whatever it is at the Fair Grounds; I can hardly wait!! LOL But DO save me and Gen/78 a couple of those Fur hats.......

Yeah most deff. I could use one of those to match my fuzzy head!!

papaOU
01-15-2010, 07:08 PM

Man! I think that show has a $10 admission.

Furr hats?

Generals64
02-01-2010, 09:22 AM
I have the hat but don't forget Food 4 Less in OKC>>>>>

Generals64
10-13-2010, 06:19 PM
Anyone have any old memories of the old Gibson's Store on N.W. 6th St.? Glenn Jones was one of my biggest competitors in the Sporting Goods Business....Glen was really dedicated to his job.....Any Memories?

FRISKY
10-13-2010, 08:42 PM
Anyone have any old memories of the old Gibson's Store on N.W. 6th St.? Glenn Jones was one of my biggest competitors in the Sporting Goods Business....Glen was really dedicated to his job.....Any Memories?Bought a football from there.

Tritone
10-13-2010, 08:44 PM
Gibson's Factory Distributing had an elevator with a staircase that wrapped around the shaft (like the staircase at the NW corner of the Skirvin lobby). I remember the remnants of yellow lines from the old parking spaces on the second floor. We used to go there before they moved to Mac Arthur and 41st or 42nd. I'll bet others can go into incredible detail but that's about it for me.

RealJimbo
10-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Anyone have any old memories of the old Gibson's Store on N.W. 6th St.? Glenn Jones was one of my biggest competitors in the Sporting Goods Business....Glen was really dedicated to his job.....Any Memories?

I used to go there for fishing tackle. That was before I went to work for TG&Y.