View Full Version : What old business do you remember in OKC?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

Generals64
10-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Deep Rock Service Stations.....There is still a building at Main and Western in OKC with Deep Rock on the front....

skyrick
10-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Deep Rock Service Stations.....There is still a building at Main and Western in OKC with Deep Rock on the front....

There is a descendant of Deep Rock, Kerr-McGee, on FM121, about ten miles west of US75. This is the highway from McKinney, TX to Bonham, TX. It had been 30 years since I saw a K-M or Deep Rock service station when I first saw this.

Rick

papaOU
10-01-2009, 11:25 PM
There is a descendant of Deep Rock, Kerr-McGee, on FM121, about ten miles west of US75. This is the highway from McKinney, TX to Bonham, TX. It had been 30 years since I saw a K-M or Deep Rock service station when I first saw this.

Rick

Not sure where you live but would it be possible to furnish a photo?

If it's too far away or a problem forget it.....:ou2

skyrick
10-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Not sure where you live but would it be possible to furnish a photo?

If it's too far away or a problem forget it.....:ou2

I'm in Arlington, TX and that station is about 60 miles away in a direction I don't normally go. I used to pass it on the way to Skydive Dallas. They should have called it Skydive Sherman, it was a lot closer than Dallas. I jump at Skydive35 in Hillsboro. The exact opposite direction.

Rick

papaOU
10-03-2009, 12:24 AM
I'm in Arlington, TX and that station is about 60 miles away in a direction I don't normally go. I used to pass it on the way to Skydive Dallas. They should have called it Skydive Sherman, it was a lot closer than Dallas. I jump at Skydive35 in Hillsboro. The exact opposite direction.

Rick

Before I was old enough to drive a car (legally) I worked after school and some Saturdays (back then little if anything was open on Sundays) for an uncle at the Deep Rock/Kerr McGee station on S. Walker. I think it was 13th street.

papaOU
10-03-2009, 12:55 AM
Is Del Rancho under new ownership?

Generals64
10-03-2009, 10:43 AM

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't know for sure. The young lady who owned the one in Moore sold her Franchise to a guy that owns a similar place called Soda Pops. Dick Jones (former Capitol Hill Guy) had owned the Moore restaurant until he passed away a few years back and his Daughter inherited the restaurant. But, she did Sell the place just here recently.....

skyrick
10-03-2009, 01:01 PM

I would give anything if Del Rancho would expand into Texas! As far as I know, the only one down here is in Allen, between Plano and McKinney. Only problem is, my stomach turns and my buns clench if I go east of 360.

Rick

Prunepicker
10-03-2009, 02:56 PM
I don't know for sure. The young lady who owned the one in Moore sold her
Franchise to a guy that owns a similar place called Soda Pops. Dick Jones
(former Capitol Hill Guy) had owned the Moore restaurant until he passed
away a few years back and his Daughter inherited the restaurant. But, she
did Sell the place just here recently...
I remember when Mrs. Lou Murchison owned the Del Rancho on University
in Edmond. She ran a tight ship and the food was exceptional! She moved
to Dallas in 81 or 82. Unfortunately, the new owner was clueless about how
to make customers happy. It soon closed.

The Del Rancho on S.W. 59th and S. Agnew is another fine 5 star
restaurant. Try finding one of these in NYC! Who's running that one? It's
always been consistently good.

Unfortunately, there's a piece of meat with gristle in it. Del Rancho will
make you another!

Dang! I NEED a Steak Sammich! Gen64 are you any where near my place?

grantgeneral78
10-03-2009, 03:02 PM
Me and Mrs. General went to The Filling Station in norman by the stadium and ate. It is so cool in there with all the old signs and the old Bar, I would love to have that place in my backyard!

Prunepicker
10-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Alright you Del Rancho lovers.
What side do you have with your Steak Sammich?

Tots or Fries?

This ought to cause a war! Cain't wait!
I always order tots unless I order fries. Or is it I always order fries unless
it's tots? Life's questions can sometimes be so overwhelming.

Gen64 bring 6 Steak sammiches and 6 orders of fries and tots. Oh. if you
want something, bring your own. One more thing, bring a sammich for
Prunette, too. Extra tomato, pickles and TOTS!

I've got ketchup and will share.

Hurry. I mean HURRY!

Prunepicker
10-03-2009, 03:11 PM
I would give anything if Del Rancho would expand into Texas! As far as I
know, the only one down here is in Allen, between Plano and McKinney. Only
problem is, my stomach turns and my buns clench if I go east of 360.

Rick
Gen64 goes to Texas quite often in the Magic Bus. There's probably one
under the seat right now. Nuthin' like fine aged meat.

He might bring you a fresh one if you ask nice.

grantgeneral78
10-03-2009, 04:01 PM
How about Lee Mac tv and appliance...what was the name of the owners, what was there own special little nitch in there commercials, and where were they located?....hmmm who gets it first.

papaOU
10-03-2009, 04:35 PM

The one on South Western has a banner reading that they are under new management and they are closing at 9:00. Not sure if that is 7 days or during the week.

papaOU
10-03-2009, 04:40 PM
Alright you Del Rancho lovers.
What side do you have with your Steak Sammich?

Tots or Fries?

This ought to cause a war! Cain't wait!
I always order tots unless I order fries. Or is it I always order fries unless
it's tots? Life's questions can sometimes be so overwhelming.

Gen64 bring 6 Steak sammiches and 6 orders of fries and tots. Oh. if you
want something, bring your own. One more thing, bring a sammich for
Prunette, too. Extra tomato, pickles and TOTS!

I've got ketchup and will share.

Hurry. I mean HURRY!

Gravy-fries for me............:k-bunny:

skyrick
10-03-2009, 11:15 PM
From the early '60s... Walt Durham TV Sales & Repair. My Grandpa bought his first TV there; a metal cased Zenith that would shock the s**t out of you sometimes.

Rick

smooth
10-09-2009, 08:52 PM
Carnation Ice Cream store. I ate a lot of ice cream there. Plus, although still around, Geralds Donuts. Among the best in town... Especially the cinnemon rolls.

skyrick
10-13-2009, 06:54 PM
Carnation Ice Cream store. I ate a lot of ice cream there. Plus, although still around, Geralds Donuts. Among the best in town... Especially the cinnemon rolls.

At NW 23rd & Classen? I used to stop there after seeing a double feature at the Mayflower, before they became an "art" theater. Ahhh, Chris Caporal's lovely daughters!

Rick

smooth
10-13-2009, 07:01 PM
At NW 23rd & Classen? I used to stop there after seeing a double feature at the Mayflower, before they became an "art" theater. Ahhh, Chris Caporal's lovely daughters!

Rick

No. Mine was on S. Pennsylvania near Laneway.

MikeOKC
10-13-2009, 07:54 PM
I think I replied in this thread once, but I thought of another: ANY old drugstore with an old-fashioned soad fountain. There may be the odd one here or there but I miss knowing that a Veazey's or a Sheen Drug or a Hyde's was close by to drop in for a burger and shake, or, on a hot day, a REAL soda (yes, young ones, made with real soda!).

Polsano's on N. May across from Taft Junior High is another. I loved their stuff. Placed a bet or two there as well. shhhhh.

Generals64
10-14-2009, 07:26 AM
I think I replied in this thread once, but I thought of another: ANY old drugstore with an old-fashioned soad fountain. There may be the odd one here or there but I miss knowing that a Veazey's or a Sheen Drug or a Hyde's was close by to drop in for a burger and shake, or, on a hot day, a REAL soda (yes, young ones, made with real soda!).

Polsano's on N. May across from Taft Junior High is another. I loved their stuff. Placed a bet or two there as well. shhhhh.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nichols Hills Drug...just like the old days....Still there.

Prunepicker
10-14-2009, 08:34 PM
Nichols Hills Drug... just like the old days... Still there.
Prunerella and I eat there when she's in town. Good burgers!

OldSalt
10-17-2009, 08:50 AM
Very good General but I missed seeing Katz Drugs in Capital Hill. Of course those were the days when Capital Hill was the down town of the Soutside.

Generals64
10-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Very good General but I missed seeing Katz Drugs in Capital Hill. Of course those were the days when Capital Hill was the down town of the Soutside.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are so right. Wouldn't it be great if the old businesses were to to come back just with the new ideas? Could you imagine the old Levine's...The bank, TG&Y, Katz Drug ....both Movie theaters in full swing,Otasco....John A. Brown Co....it's a shame to go down there and remember when it was. If you are not from the city now...Where do you live and when did you go to OKC school???? You're new to this group aren't you????

papaOU
10-17-2009, 05:29 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are so right. Wouldn't it be great if the old businesses were to to come back just with the new ideas? Could you imagine the old Levine's...The bank, TG&Y, Katz Drug ....both Movie theaters in full swing,Otasco....John A. Brown Co....it's a shame to go down there and remember when it was. If you are not from the city now...Where do you live and when did you go to OKC school???? You're new to this group aren't you????

How about the movie theater on Robinson (The Chieftain?)?

'64! Could you recognize Levine's today? I can't.

It looks like they are doing something to the Langston/Katz building. They are fixing it up and putting some really secure looking doors on.

I have been attempting to decipher the painted sign on the west side of the Langston building. That's the part above the Katz building. Of course it reads Langston's but there is something about Brown's underneath the Langston's paint.......................

OldSalt
10-17-2009, 06:15 PM
The Chieftan was located in the old shopping center at SW 29th and wheatland. It was located at one end and an OTASCO at the other. I remember because as a kid I lived at McArthur and Wheatland Road. I use to walk to the movie every Saturday for their double feature. Now the Redskin was located somewhere in that direction.

Generals64
10-18-2009, 12:48 PM
The Chieftan was located in the old shopping center at SW 29th and wheatland. It was located at one end and an OTASCO at the other. I remember because as a kid I lived at McArthur and Wheatland Road. I use to walk to the movie every Saturday for their double feature. Now the Redskin was located somewhere in that direction.
================================================== ===========
Redskin was located 50 yards east of Western on the Southside of 29th st....I got a brick from the building when they demolished it. One for Grant, one for the Redskin....Don't even ask why cause I don't know....

papaOU
10-18-2009, 06:00 PM

It looks like they are doing something to the Langston/Katz building. They are fixing it up and putting some really secure looking doors on.

I have been attempting to decipher the painted sign on the west side of the Langston building. That's the part above the Katz building. Of course it reads Langston's but there is something about Brown's underneath the Langston's paint.......................

The third movie theater was the Capitol. Before that it was the Circle (Got that from Doug. Thanks Doug!)

Prunepicker
10-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Does anybody remember the school bus stops that were painted by Rainbo
and other bread companies?

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
10-19-2009, 08:04 AM

The Christmas Connection moved out of the Langston /Katz building in August, to ther new location at 59th and May. The building sold to OCCC and they are supposed to use it for an off site campus.....or that's what I heard. However if you were to go into the building, the best bet is to tear it down and rebuild.

skyrick
10-19-2009, 08:47 AM

Yep. Do you remember when city utility vehicles were all painted the same, drab, turquoise color they painted the interior public school walls?

How about 55-57 Chevy Nomads from Townley Milk?

I moved to OKC in '61, my grandmother's house. I remember being the first one up one day and eating my cereal when the Borden milkman just walked in the back door like he lived there, went to the refrigerator, and put two quarts in.

Rick

Generals64
10-19-2009, 09:32 AM

================================================== =============
I don't remember School Buses....

Generals64
10-19-2009, 09:34 AM
Yep. Do you remember when city utility vehicles were all painted the same, drab, turquoise color they painted the interior public school walls?

How about 55-57 Chevy Nomads from Townley Milk?

I moved to OKC in '61, my grandmother's house. I remember being the first one up one day and eating my cereal when the Borden milkman just walked in the back door like he lived there, went to the refrigerator, and put two quarts in.

Rick

================================================== ================
Finally, .....someone remembers the true Milkman.....I first thought the guy was thirsty and wanted a drink of Milk...we had one bottle with a little milk still in it and he took it....

RealJimbo
10-19-2009, 09:53 AM
A friend of mine was a home delivery milk man for two years, around 1970. He said he was treated like part of the family, or in some cases, part of the furniture. He would go in to deliver and mama would be in her night gown or less and some days he loved it and some days he hated it....based on who mama was.

msaunders
10-19-2009, 10:22 AM
What was the name of the place on NW Expressway, served a dessert call the 'Kitchen Sink. May have been My Pie Pizza, but I think it was next door.

Pete
10-19-2009, 10:27 AM
It was near My Pi.

Called J.B. Nimble's and was open from 1974 through 1977:

http://www.okctalk.com/images/pete/misc/jbnimble1.jpg

msaunders
10-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Thanks, that was the one

dotbird
10-20-2009, 12:57 PM
Who remembers the name of the restaurant back in the early 1970s at the corner of NW 23rd and Western, at the northwest corner of the intersection, across from the gold bank? Please do not say Beverly's, as it wasn't. Years ago, it was a Carnation ice cream place. In the 70s, it was primarily a hamburger place, and it seemed that there was a coat of arms near the order desk. Irish name? Scottish name? Later on, it was a Chinese restaurant and now the spot is bare, the building having been razed not long ago. I simply cannot remember what the place was called then. Anyone?

Prunepicker
10-20-2009, 01:33 PM
Who remembers the name of the restaurant back in the early 1970s at the
corner of NW 23rd and Western, at the northwest corner of the intersection,
across from the gold bank?
It was painted red and white. I believe it had Beef in the name. or Bevo's?

Not Big Beef, that was a BBQ at Classen Circle.

papaOU
10-20-2009, 11:37 PM
It was painted red and white. I believe it had Beef in the name. or Bevo's?

Not Big Beef, that was a BBQ at Classen Circle.

How about "Beef Eaters". I don't know if it was, but there was a restaurant/burger place by that name years ago.

MikeOKC
10-21-2009, 02:55 PM
How about "Beef Eaters". I don't know if it was, but there was a restaurant/burger place by that name years ago.

I was "Beef and Bun" for years. They kept the Beefeater mascot and I think later did change the name to include Beefeater.

papaOU
10-21-2009, 04:17 PM
I was "Beef and Bun" for years. They kept the Beefeater mascot and I think later did change the name to include Beefeater.

You were "Beef and Buns" for years?

Loose it through Weight Watcher's or Jenny Craig?:sofa:

gen70
10-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Anybody remember Shipley's BBQ at N.W. 63rd & Western?

Prunepicker
10-21-2009, 09:23 PM
Anybody remember Shipley's BBQ at N.W. 63rd & Western?
I remember Beasley's BBQ, where the Rib Crib is now located.

gen70
10-21-2009, 09:35 PM
I remember Beasley's BBQ, where the Rib Crib is now located.
Thanks Prune! Beasley's was the name I meant. Getting old is hell on the memory. I really liked their BBQ. Last I heard they opened a place out somewhere around T-bird but, that was a long time ago.

Prunepicker
10-21-2009, 09:51 PM
Thanks Prune! Beasley's was the name I meant. Getting old is hell on the
memory. I really liked their BBQ. Last I heard they opened a place out
somewhere around T-bird but, that was a long time ago.
Beasley's secret was simple. It was salt, pepper and (I believe) hickory
smoke. He was very vocal about it because, and this is a quote, "I'll give
you my recipe for good BBQ, but you aren't going to use it." How true.

NativeOkie
10-22-2009, 12:52 AM
Loved Nimbles, Bevo's was great, do you remember the Jolly Roger? Or Roy Rogers Roast Beef much better than Arbys.
But the best of the best was Across the Street.

papaOU
10-22-2009, 12:55 AM
Loved Nimbles, Bevo's was great, do you remember the Jolly Roger? Or Roy Rogers Roast Beef much better than Arbys.
But the best of the best was Across the Street.

Miss the Roy Rogers "Double R". Hamburger patty and sliced roast beef with the trimmings. Add a little of Roy's bar-b-q sauce.................:kicking:

Generals64
10-22-2009, 12:03 PM
Kaiser Ice Cream on N.W. 10th and Walker. I think someday we should go there (Now the Greatful Bean) and have an ice cream after a meeting......

Prunepicker
10-22-2009, 02:23 PM
Kaiser Ice Cream on N.W. 10th and Walker. I think someday we should go
there (Now the Greatful Bean) and have an ice cream after a meeting...
That sounds good to me!

MikeOKC
10-22-2009, 02:26 PM
You were "Beef and Buns" for years?

Loose it through Weight Watcher's or Jenny Craig?:sofa:

OK, Ok....IT was Beef and Bun for years. I was eating at Beef and Bun.

MikeOKC
10-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Who had the fried pickles? Was it Bonapartes?

tag66
10-22-2009, 03:14 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UH, was that also your last one????
My brother always got an Ogdon Special at babershop on N.W. 10th st...a buzz with Burr Wax to spike up the front

tag66
10-22-2009, 03:27 PM
How about The Ranchers Daughter
Nicolasis' Ranch House Dressing
best corn dogs & ff at school store across from old Putnam City Jr High now the Putnam City School Museum
Christophers
Outrigger at Rio Hotel
Think Haunted House & Jamils still in business

papaOU
10-22-2009, 04:02 PM
The Haunted House is. Spoken about for a place to have Halloween dinner.

Can't remember where Christopher's is/was??

MikeOKC
10-22-2009, 04:08 PM
The Haunted House is. Spoken about for a place to have Halloween dinner.

Can't remember where Christopher's is/was??

It was at about NW 26th and Grand Blvd (just west of present highway). Great place.

Prunepicker
10-22-2009, 09:06 PM
My brother always got an Ogdon Special at babershop on N.W. 10th st.. a
buzz with Burr Wax to spike up the front
An Ogdon Special? I thought what you described was a regular Crew Cut.
I never could stand to go to the Barber Shop. I can't stand haircuts.

Prunepicker
10-22-2009, 09:10 PM
The Haunted House is good. It's not really scary, it's just out of the way off
of Miriam Ave.
The food is good and I've never heard a waiter/waitress say, "Hi guys" or
"How does everything taste?". Two of the most worthless things anyone can
say at a restaurant.

Prunette: We're not guys.
Prunepicker: If it didn't taste good you'd be hearing from me real fast!

ACK!

papaOU
10-23-2009, 01:19 AM
I found out from Southside Girl, whose Mother has been a Christmas Connection volunteer that Christmas Connections is moving to a new location. They have been in the former Katz building for years. I'm not sure if they used the Langston's side as well since I have never been there. Southside Girl says they are moving because the roof is caving-in and they have had no heat for years. Seems the current owners would never make any form of repairs. OCCC is going to make it a satellite location there. At least the buildings from Walker to near Harvey have tenants. Hopefully this can continue to Robinson and beyond. Maybe this should have gone on the Capitol Hill thread.

mrbob
10-26-2009, 07:54 AM
Go rollin into Bolen's Oldsmobile off nw 12 and Robinson. Darrell's Bicycle shop sw 28 and agnew. Sussy's restaurant sw 24th and Robinson. Capitol Hill in front and Grant in the back on football nights. Had some good times there. Beam's Seat covers Nw 10 and Robinson, I worked there 1964 to 1965 then I joined the air force. Loveless shoe shop on sw 29st, got my shoe taps put on the heel of my shoes. I Remember walking down the hall at school, click clack. Ok one last one Le Mac Tv he had several stores , one on sw 29 off Penn and one on sw 24 and Western