View Full Version : Oeta?

Lurker34
03-06-2009, 11:50 AM
OETA must have some really rich old contributors. I mean seriously “The Lawrence Welk Show”? Anytime I accidentally flip across the show, I can’t help but think “all these people are dead” Heck, the people dancing were in their 60’s back then and the show is 30 years old! That would make them 90 today. (if they’re still alive)

Another show that blows my mind is “OETA Movie Club”. These movies are so old and outdated they’re almost funny. I can understand showing a few classics, but some of these are bottom shelf stuff.

I can only imagine the age demo for these shows. I didn’t know there was a demand for audiences approaching 100 years old.

I’m sure there’s some people not that old enjoying these shows, but it is a minute fraction of the general population. I have noticed when they try to raise money they play concerts from Stevie Nicks, David Bowie and the Eagles. If those are the people giving money to your station, shouldn’t you skew your programming towards them? People watching Lawrence Welk, etc. are in nursing homes for Christ’s sake! They must be donating their social security checks to OETA.

TaoMaas
03-06-2009, 12:09 PM
I have noticed when they try to raise money they play concerts from Stevie Nicks, David Bowie and the Eagles. If those are the people giving money to your station, shouldn’t you skew your programming towards them?

Don't look now, but Stevie Nicks and David Bowie are 60 yrs. old. Not that far off from Lawrence Welk age. I've never been a big fan of the Lawrence Welk Show, but any tv program that can stay on the air for 30 years and still draw an audience obviously knows a hell of a lot more about television than I do, so you won't hear me knocking them.

P.S. A check of Wikipedia shows that The Lawrence Welk Show began airing in 1951, so make that nearly 60 years of continues broadcasting. There is not a producer alive who doesn't dream of creating a show with that kind of lifespan.

flintysooner
03-06-2009, 12:17 PM
My parents loved that show and watched regularly. Now that they are gone I think of them when I happen to watch it. I think I have begun to understand why it is such a loved program by so many. Among other things the producers and performs have a phenomenal respect for the audience and that attitude is communicated.

Lurker34
03-06-2009, 03:14 PM
[QUOTE=TaoMaas;205928]Don't look now, but Stevie Nicks and David Bowie are 60 yrs. old. Not that far off from Lawrence Welk age. I've never been a big fan of the Lawrence Welk Show, but any tv program that can stay on the air for 30 years and still draw an audience obviously knows a hell of a lot more about television than I do, so you won't hear me knocking them.
QUOTE]

I'm interested to know how large an audience it draws and how old are they? I'm thinking that the copyrights may have expired and it costs OETA next to nothing to air the program, that may be why it's on. Put the Andy Griffith show on. At least that show is entertaining. Carol Burnett, Hogan's Heros ANYTHING! And last I checked Lawrence died at age 89 in 1992.

dcsooner
03-06-2009, 03:28 PM
OETA is the absolute worst public television station I have seen while viewing other stations in places I have lived outside of Oklahoma. Programming is as was mentioned earlier very outdated and seems to be focused on people of a couple generations ago.

FRISKY
03-06-2009, 03:39 PM
I like the shows on OETA.

I would rather watch "old and outdated" shows on OETA than modern programming on MTV and 90% of the other contemporary channels.

dcsooner
03-06-2009, 03:55 PM
I don't begrudge anyone the right to watch OETA, when I am in Oklahoma I choose not to

bornhere
03-06-2009, 05:40 PM
OETA lives in constant terror of social conservatives. They run stuff like "Lawrence Welk" because it's guaranteed to be inoffensive.

TaoMaas
03-07-2009, 06:52 AM
I'm interested to know how large an audience it draws and how old are they? I'm thinking that the copyrights may have expired and it costs OETA next to nothing to air the program, that may be why it's on. Put the Andy Griffith show on. At least that show is entertaining. Carol Burnett, Hogan's Heros ANYTHING! And last I checked Lawrence died at age 89 in 1992.
You might be right about the pricing for Lawrence Welk. It might be a case of a relatively inexpensive show that delivers good ratings, even if the age group skews a bit older. And why should a group of viewers be ignored simply because of their age? The last time I checked, old folks had money to spend, too. lol I read an article a month or two back about how the networks are having to re-think their approach to programming. By wearing blinders in pursuit of the 18-49 demo group (and programming specifically for that group), they've alienated a significant portion of their potential audience at a time when they need every viewer they can get. Don't worry...the networks probably won't be moving Lawrence Welk to prime time, but this new thinking MIGHT be part of the decision to give Jay Leno a shot during prime time, for example.

CCOKC
03-07-2009, 01:10 PM
I know I am in the minority here but I watch almost nothing but PBS programming. I love Independent Lens, Frontline, Charlie Rose and Masterpiece Theater. I have also gotten addicted to the Create Channel instead as an alternative to HGTV and the Food Network. My husband and I watch all of the Britcoms Sunday-Thursday nights and Red Green and Dr. Who on Friday night. I also think PBS did the best job covering the election last year of anyone. I have become a big fan of David Brooks even though he does not share my political views.
BTW, OETA owns the rights to the Lawrence Welk show and actually makes a lot of money from the show. It is not my cup of tea but I guess a lot of people around the country like it.

PennyQuilts
03-07-2009, 05:39 PM
When my husband and I first got married (we didn't live together before), I discovered his dirty little secret that he watched Lawrence Welk and knew all about the people on the show. I love the man, but couldn't he have just been a cross dresser?

I have to admit that the show started growing on me. Fact is, I was never one for nostalgia but I learned a lot by watching the show and hearing the stories about this and that connected to it. I wouldn't have appreciated it all that much if I was just watching it without someone to sort of point things out.

kevinpate
03-08-2009, 05:37 AM
> couldn't he have just been a cross dresser?

Nah, then you mighta come home, and he'd be in one of the LW pastel dresses, and hanging by the door for you would be a matching poly blazer, tie and white slacks and bucks. he'd give the skirt a twirl and flash you the pearlies and say "dress with me darlin', cross dress and dance with me to Mr. Welk"

This has been another "wow, I dinna need that image in my noggin" moment brought to you by the good folks at Excedrin

PennyQuilts
03-08-2009, 06:58 AM
hahahahhahaha!

Hmm. Well, that might actually have been fun.