View Full Version : Greening OKC

metro
03-06-2009, 10:33 AM
http://www.okc.gov/images/green_splash.jpg

Start GreeningOKC by joining us for Earth Week events April 22-26
Oklahoma City’s future is not just bright – it’s green. Start “greening” Oklahoma City by planning to join us for Earth Week events, April 22-26. From free bus rides on Earth Day to a Party for the Planet at the Oklahoma City Zoo, there is something for everyone during this week long green celebration. More info and complete event listings. Also check back with us soon and view our new green Web site, which will offer green tips and lets you know what Oklahoma City is doing to green up.

Ride the Bus Free
METRO Transit will honor Earth Day by offering free bus and trolley rides from 5:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, April 22. Bus service in Oklahoma City, Tinker AFB, Norman and Edmond is included in the offer. Get route information and learn how to ride the bus by visiting Welcome to www.gometro.org (http://www.gometro.org) or call 235-RIDE (7433).

Free Bike Riding Class
Not only is cycling good for the environment, it’s also healthy, saves money and can be an enjoyable way to commute short distances. Learn the basics of bicycle riding by signing up for a brown bag lunch-and-learn at noon on Friday, April 24 on the east steps of City Hall. Stay for an optional 90-minute bike ride around downtown. Bicycle and helmet required. Call 297-3908 or e-mail lanc.gross@okc.gov to register.

Earth Fest at Martin Park
Visit Martin Park from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, April 25 for Earth-friendly educational booths and free seminars.

10:30 a.m. Save the Earth with Little Blue

11:30 a.m. Cooking with the Sun

1 p.m. Earth Friendly Lawn Care

2 p.m. Recycling Rainwater

3 p.m. Composting 101
Kids can make recycled art all day long. Enjoy a hybrid car show featuring natural gas and electric vehicles from the City’s fleet. Call Martin Park at 755-0676 for details.

Mercury-free thermometer giveaway
The first 100 residents that drop household hazardous waste off at the City’s Household Hazardous Waste Facility, 1621 S Portland, from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. on Saturday, April 25 will receive a free, mercury-free thermometer. Don’t forget your water bill stub to prove residency.

Recycle your tires, ammo and computers
A special household hazardous waste collection for ammunition, tires and computer equipment will be held from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, April 25 on the south side of the State Fairgrounds. Enter from Gordon Cooper Blvd. (Gate 5) off north May. The collection is open to Oklahoma City residents only. Recyclers must bring their current Oklahoma City water bill stub to prove residency. Televisions, wheels, rims and oversized tires such as equipment or farm implement tires will not be accepted.

Party for the Planet at the Oklahoma City Zoo
Leap into action and discover the importance of conserving wildlife and wild places. Enjoy fun, family activities, live music, giveaways and more from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Sunday, April 26. Free with Zoo admission. For information call 424-3344 or log on to Homepage - Oklahoma City Zoo (http://www.okczoo.com).

City of Oklahoma City | News from OKCGOV (http://www.okc.gov/earthweek.html)

Jesseda
03-06-2009, 02:14 PM
thanks for the info metro.

jbrown84
03-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Glad to see OKC going all out for this.

CCOKC
03-06-2009, 05:58 PM
Great! Is there any way you can remind us a little closer to the date?

southernskye
03-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Really defeats the purpose of having an Earth Fest when you can't even get to it with public transit. Oh well, this is Oklahoma one step forward and three backwards.

metro
03-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Really defeats the purpose of having an Earth Fest when you can't even get to it with public transit. Oh well, this is Oklahoma one step forward and three backwards.

Agree we NEED a MASSIVE overhaul of our mass transit or lack therof, and that is in the works and will be in MAPS 3 more than likely, but it sounds like the City IS doing something for what mass transit we do have.

Ride the Bus Free
METRO Transit will honor Earth Day by offering free bus and trolley rides from 5:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, April 22. Bus service in Oklahoma City, Tinker AFB, Norman and Edmond is included in the offer. Get route information and learn how to ride the bus by visiting Welcome to Welcome to www.gometro.org (http://www.gometro.org) or call 235-RIDE (7433).

Karried
03-09-2009, 08:59 AM

What do you mean? Did they cancel the bus to Mercy Hospital? It's right down the street isn't it?

Ride the Bus Free

METRO Transit will honor Earth Day by offering free bus and trolley rides from 5:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday, April 22. Bus service in Oklahoma City, Tinker AFB, Norman and Edmond is included in the offer. Get route information and learn how to ride the bus by visiting Welcome to www.gometro.org (http://www.gometro.org/) or call 235-RIDE (7433).

gmwise
03-09-2009, 09:11 AM
yes it is, but some don't want to go too green by walking a few blocks if any.

southernskye
03-09-2009, 10:35 AM
yes it is, but some don't want to go too green by walking a few blocks if any.
Are there sidewalks out there ? I didn't think the bus went all the way out there.

When I lived in Seattle the bus was my primary way of getting around. I would be perfectly happy being car free. I could easily do it in Seattle. But if you don't have a car here, you don't go anywhere.

Bobby821
03-09-2009, 10:51 AM
We don't need no stinkin busses.. Private cars are better and safer...

metro
04-20-2009, 07:32 AM
Just a reminder Greening OKC and Earth Week start this week!

gmwise
04-20-2009, 07:49 AM
I wished one of our energy companies would make a donation of new CNG buses for OKC, Edmond and Norman.
We would see those Cities' fleets converted faster and it would open up more CNG stations so the general public can take advantage of the lower price.
And if it takes money out of the mouths of our enemies and then more enviromentally friendly, I'm for it.

kevinpate
04-20-2009, 08:14 AM
I just did some looking at bus schedules again this am.

With the new location my folks are moving to, the city bus becomes less convenient unless I drag along a bike as well. Bummed on that a bit.

We used to have a route that stopped any number of places, from 10 feet to 1/4 mile away. Now it appears the closest exit for me on a bus day will involve a 1.1 mile walk or bike ride. Not horrid by any means, but not preferred by my ankles either. Only down side to using a bike to cover the stretch is getting the bike home in the evening, as there is no return to Norman service in the evening, only mid afternoon.

oh well, I suspect the walk will do my ample frame some good on those days.

FritterGirl
04-20-2009, 09:28 AM
Join the City of Oklahoma City for
EARTH FEST
in celebration of Earth Week.

SATURDAY, APRIL 25, 2009
10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

FREE earth-friendly seminars, kids' activities, and an alt-fuel vehicle demonstration.

Seminars include:
10:30 a.m. Save the Earth with Little Blue
11:30 a.m. Cooking with the Sun
1:00 p.m. Earth Friendly Lawn Care
2:00 p.m. Recycling Rainwater
3:00 p.m. Composting 101

Plus, visits from Mother Earth, Wayne Drop,
Terry the Trash-a-Saurus and "Cycler" the Recycling Robot

For more information, call 755-0676.

Martin Park Nature Center
5000 West Memorial Road
(between Meridian and MacArthur)
Oklahoma City

The City Of Oklahoma City - Greening OKC (http://www.greeningokc.com)

To sign up for regualar e-updates on Parks related events and activities, e-mail us at parkinfo@okc.gov.

PennyQuilts
04-20-2009, 10:03 AM
And if it takes money out of the mouths of our enemies and then more enviromentally friendly, I'm for it.

Who is the enemy? And isn't that a nice sentiment? Way to be hateful just because you had the opportunity. If you want to convert unbelievers, I might suggest you not go out of your way to spit on people when you don't have to.

wsucougz
04-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Who is the enemy? And isn't that a nice sentiment? Way to be hateful just because you had the opportunity. If you want to convert unbelievers, I might suggest you not go out of your way to spit on people when you don't have to.

I thought it was a good point. Perhaps you misunderstood what he meant.

For those who are still unbelievers after all these years, it's probably the best selling point really.

dalelakin
04-21-2009, 06:21 AM
Agree we NEED a MASSIVE overhaul of our mass transit

While not a MASSIVE overhaul it is nice to see that some in city hall do recognize the need to revamp our system.

KFOR
Oklahoma City stimulus money
JESSE WELLS REPORTING

5:01 PM CDT, April 20, 2009

OKLAHOMA CITY -- We're learning more about how Oklahoma City's share of federal stimulus dollars is being spent. Just over $15 million will be used to resurface 40 miles of streets in the city.

"It'll certainly help our traveling public. If there are places where there are potholes or rough places in the street, hopefully they won't have to deal with them anymore," says Dennis Clowers.

$10 million will also be spent buying new buses for Metro Transit, as well as expanding the city's maintenance garage and putting a new tracking system on each city bus. The goal is to provide more reliable service.

"The public can count on buses being at a particular location at a specific time, with fewer breakdowns," says Rick Cain.
In all, Oklahoma City's share of the federal funds is just over $44 million.

gmwise
05-04-2009, 03:58 AM

Nations like Venezuela, Iran, Saudi Arabia,and so forth.i.e. OPEC.