View Full Version : U.S. GRANT GENERALS.......got memories?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11

mugofbeer
08-17-2009, 10:26 PM
My memories of Grant are that its the only school my NW CLassen Knights can beat in football! LOLOLOL!!!

papaOU
08-17-2009, 11:50 PM
I have some Grant memories...........

What's the plural of mammary.........

Never mind..............

Many were fake or padded........

Besides...................

I may have low morals...........

but not that low............:poke:

Generals64
08-20-2009, 08:22 PM
well, today is the first day of school for OKC public schools. Dear Grant High has once again opened it's doors to young people of OKC. I do hope the kids are thinking enough to realize they need an education if they are to succeed in today's world and they should understand the importance of not only a highschool education but to go on to College and get their diploma. Many kids don't realize this until they are like I was and waited until I was 32 to chase that diploma......O.K., that's the old man talking .....Now for more stuff...I hope they realize the importance of "Whipping" Capitol Hill on the Football field for old times sake...right papaOU.....find out what day and I'll meet you at the Game....
'BEAT THE HILL ON A FRIDAY NIGHT."

Prunepicker
08-20-2009, 08:54 PM
well, today is the first day of school for OKC public schools. Dear Grant
High has once again opened it's doors to young people of OKC.
It's a crying shame that kids have to go to school before summer is over.
Nobody should have to darken those doors until after Labor Day.

Now for more stuff... I hope they realize the importance of "Whipping"
Capitol Hill on the Football field for old times sake... right papaOU... find
out what day and I'll meet you at the Game...

We need to go to a high school football game this fall.

papaOU
08-20-2009, 09:02 PM
well, today is the first day of school for OKC public schools. Dear Grant High has once again opened it's doors to young people of OKC. I do hope the kids are thinking enough to realize they need an education if they are to succeed in today's world and they should understand the importance of not only a highschool education but to go on to College and get their diploma. Many kids don't realize this until they are like I was and waited until I was 32 to chase that diploma......O.K., that's the old man talking .....Now for more stuff...I hope they realize the importance of "Whipping" Capitol Hill on the Football field for old times sake...right papaOU.....find out what day and I'll meet you at the Game....

I'll go! Maybe Soutside Girl as well....

papaOU
08-20-2009, 09:59 PM
Circle 9/11!!!!!!

gen70
08-21-2009, 10:07 AM
Lost an old General and close friend Wed. 19th. [ Kenny Skaggs Jr.] May you R.I.P. brother.

rowdy55ok
08-21-2009, 11:36 AM
Lost an old General and close friend Wed. 19th. [ Kenny Skaggs Jr.] May you R.I.P. brother.

Saw that too. Deepest Sympathies to the Skaggs family.

TOWNHERO
08-21-2009, 12:43 PM
My Sympathies to the family. We were good friends back in the day.

gen70,
Do you know any particulars?

gen70
08-21-2009, 12:54 PM
My Sympathies to the family. We were good friends back in the day.

gen70,
Do you know any particulars?

Only what I read in the obits.. Go to newsok.com..

Redskins/General
08-23-2009, 09:05 PM
Only what I read in the obits.. Go to newsok.com..
My Mother-in-Law is a close friend of the family! They told her Kenny had Leukemia and Melanoma cancer. He was in Deacones Hospital on a kidney dialysis machine and in Extreme pain. The pain medication could not work because of a conflict with the dialasis machine. Because of the unbearable pain they had to take him off of it and that's when he passed away! Didn't know him, but sorry for your loss. Hope I filled in some blanks for you.

gen70
08-24-2009, 12:31 AM
My Mother-in-Law is a close friend of the family! They told her Kenny had Leukemia and Melanoma cancer. He was in Deacones Hospital on a kidney dialysis machine and in Extreme pain. The pain medication could not work because of a conflict with the dialasis machine. Because of the unbearable pain they had to take him off of it and that's when he passed away! Didn't know him, but sorry for your loss. Hope I filled in some blanks for you.

Thanks.

Prunepicker
08-24-2009, 04:15 PM
Lost an old General and close friend Wed. 19th. [ Kenny Skaggs Jr.] May you
R.I.P. brother.

We heard about that in church last Sunday. I think he had Leukemia.

Generals64
08-29-2009, 11:12 AM
Looks like our old alma mater is in trouble with Scholastics. You know, Reading. Writing and Arithmetic. Yesterdays paper said it was at risk. They forgot to mention that most of the kids speak Spanish and almost ALL of the teachers don't...don't mean to preach doom and gloom but that school is not just an open wound but a Time Bomb about to explode.....

Prunepicker
08-29-2009, 11:39 PM
Looks like our old alma mater is in trouble with Scholastics. You know,
Reading. Writing and Arithmetic. Yesterdays paper said it was at risk. They
forgot to mention that most of the kids speak Spanish and almost ALL of the
teachers don't... don't mean to preach doom and gloom but that school is not
just an open wound but a Time Bomb about to explode...
It's definitely not the same education we received. Have you asked a high
schooler where the middle east is? How about India or Guam? Geography is
something they aren't taught, or won't learn.

papaOU
08-31-2009, 12:44 AM

We have plenty of teachers doing all they can or more for these kids but they just don't want to learn. They nearly all look for instant gratification. Many of us felt we were indestructible until a certain age and we snapped too. Not anymore! Many today look at life on the streets, prison, and early deaths as something they are unable to avoid.

Generals64
08-31-2009, 06:07 AM
We have plenty of teachers doing all they can or more for these kids but they just don't want to learn. They nearly all look for instant gratification. Many of us felt we were indestructible until a certain age and we snapped too. Not anymore! Many today look at life on the streets, prison, and early deaths as something they are unable to avoid.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My wife taught at Jefferson and YOU are 100% right. I was scared for her safety there....She's not there anymore....those kids just didn't care...It's like they are being taught gloom and doom at home....

papaOU
08-31-2009, 12:29 PM

Have you asked a high school teacher the same questions?

Generals64
08-31-2009, 04:59 PM
Have you asked a high school teacher the same questions?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I volunteered to Teach Oklahoma History and the Principal said it wasn't that important.......In Oklahoma????

papaOU
08-31-2009, 06:55 PM
I volunteered to Teach Oklahoma History and the Principal said it wasn't that important.......In Oklahoma????

Maybe they knew you were a Grant grad and might be unable to find your way to class and then back home again.

Don't know about anyplace else but OU requires education majors to take Oklahoma History. But then again that's only 3hrs. when there should be more. OU attempted to make an education degree to be a 5 year degree not sure what happened.

Not intending to knock coaches, but at one time the history and civic (is it called civics now/or even taught) classes were taught by one of the athletic coaches.

Prunepicker
08-31-2009, 08:26 PM
I volunteered to Teach Oklahoma History and the Principal said it wasn't that
important... In Oklahoma?

In junior high we had to take Oklahoma History. Good grief. Do you think the
kids today could find Oklahoma on a world map?

Generals64
08-31-2009, 08:41 PM
In junior high we had to take Oklahoma History. Good grief. Do you think the
kids today could find Oklahoma on a world map?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
some of the teachers couldn't.....Oklahoma History was a required subject and may still be but, why do they (school administration) think it is more important to give In School Suspension to the kids so they (the kids) can be office Aides or Teachers aides or DROP-OUTS.....I have seen so many kids just look duh and get away with it. When they dismissed Corporal Punishment the kids just think what the heck.....My cousins or uncles....they can sell stuff on the street and I can do that.....Then they get through 8th grade and bingo there they are...out on the street. If you're reading this and it offends you I'm sorry I just remember going to Grant Highschool and doing the typical teenage crap but I still had to go to class and get so many credits....the punishment at home was worst than the punishment at school....Get 7th hour;.....Telephone call:...."hey mom, i'm staying late to practice in band...I'll just walk home".....You think I was going to let her know I was in trouble...not me....there is another thread about "things your parents used to say".....I'm going to beat you to death if you get in trouble again....Is you will current and up to date?.......Thanks OKC Public Schools for my education....

Prunepicker
08-31-2009, 09:01 PM
... Get 7th hour... Telephone call... "hey mom, I'm staying late to practice in
band... I'll just walk home"... You think I was going to let her know I was in
trouble... not me...
7th hour was the pits. What excuse could I come up with? Sometimes the
friendly office staff would help you out and call the parents for you.
NO! Anything but THAT!

Generals64
09-01-2009, 07:58 AM
7th hour was the pits. What excuse could I come up with? Sometimes the
friendly office staff would help you out and call the parents for you.
NO! Anything but THAT!
There was a lady (Mr. Hampton) that would voluntarily call home for you....I made sure I called first......

papaOU
09-01-2009, 10:29 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
some of the teachers couldn't.....Oklahoma History was a required subject and may still be but, why do they (school administration) think it is more important to give In School Suspension to the kids so they (the kids) can be office Aides or Teachers aides or DROP-OUTS.....I have seen so many kids just look duh and get away with it. When they dismissed Corporal Punishment the kids just think what the heck.....My cousins or uncles....they can sell stuff on the street and I can do that.....Then they get through 8th grade and bingo there they are...out on the street. If you're reading this and it offends you I'm sorry I just remember going to Grant Highschool and doing the typical teenage crap but I still had to go to class and get so many credits....the punishment at home was worst than the punishment at school....Get 7th hour;.....Telephone call:...."hey mom, i'm staying late to practice in band...I'll just walk home".....You think I was going to let her know I was in trouble...not me....there is another thread about "things your parents used to say".....I'm going to beat you to death if you get in trouble again....Is you will current and up to date?.......Thanks OKC Public Schools for my education....

What grade was Corporal Punishment in when they dismissed him? With a name like that did he go to military school.

That's what we need more of , Military Schools! Of course most parents would consider something like that would hamper their angels emotional makeup and screw him up for life. Kind of like "no one left behind"

USG '60
09-01-2009, 12:42 PM
There was a lady (Mr. Hampton) that would voluntarily call home for you....I made sure I called first......

Your typo aside, you meant OPAL Hampton. She was real sweety and mom to Mickey, class of '60 and Penny, '62.

FRISKY
09-01-2009, 01:03 PM
What were the names of all the people that worked in the office?

I can only remember;
Opal Hampton
Barbara Mize

Bulldog
09-07-2009, 09:36 AM
In 1965 Jean Newberry and Helen Baker were the attendance clerks and unfortunately Ms. Baker was a very good friend of my mother. So I always got caught when AWOL.

There was Peggy Campbell and Bea Bradley was the Nurse.

USG '60
09-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Opal Littlefield was the primary person in charge of class attendance as of '60. It was her signature that I perfected so as to make spending money forging hall passes (which I stole.) I think I still have a pad with the top one signed and ready to sell for a dime. :irule:

Prunepicker
09-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Southside OKC Memories
Get Together

Coit's Root Beer Drive-In
2500 S. Western
September 26, 1:30pm

Bring memories, memorabilia,
photos, yearbooks, etc...
E-mail Teri! After all, it's her fault we're all
getting together!

Redskins/General
09-08-2009, 06:17 PM
Opal Littlefield was the primary person in charge of class attendance as of '60. It was her signature that I perfected so as to make spending money forging hall passes (which I stole.) I think I still have a pad with the top one signed and ready to sell for a dime. :irule:
Do you remember the secretary Opal Hampton????????????????????? She knew ol' Mr. Hess pretty well!! Ha!Ha! LOL

USG '60
09-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Do you remember the secretary Opal Hampton????????????????????? She knew ol' Mr. Hess pretty well!! Ha!Ha! LOL

Opals were all over the office back then. I hate to think Opal H. would have ACTUALLY done that. HESS?!?! JEEZ!!!:rolleyes::lol2:

Generals64
09-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Opals were all over the office back then. I hate to think Opal H. would have ACTUALLY done that. HESS?!?! JEEZ!!!:rolleyes::lol2:
Man, Hess is one I try to forget.....

Prunepicker
09-12-2009, 10:27 PM
Tonight's football scores

U.S. Grant 13
Capitol Hill 7

Last week

U.S. Grant 29
Southeast 0

gen70
09-12-2009, 11:05 PM
Grant Rules!!!

papaOU
09-12-2009, 11:51 PM
That was in overtime.

Where were you guys?

Seems to me someone said there would be more Grunt alum then CHHS at the game.

That someone did not show either..................

probably hiding behind the couch.........:sofa:

USG '60
09-13-2009, 05:32 AM
That was in overtime.

Where were you guys?

Seems to me someone said there would be more Grunt alum then CHHS at the game.

That someone did not show either..................

probably hiding behind the couch.........:sofa:

There were 25 or 30 of us generals. We had to go incognito so you CH guys wouldn't try to buddy up to us. THAT could really be humiliating, ya know.

Give me a G..........

papaOU
09-13-2009, 08:30 AM
There were 25 or 30 of us generals. We had to go incognito so you CH guys wouldn't try to buddy up to us. THAT could really be humiliating, ya know.

Give me a G..........

I thought it was because you feel inferior as it is and if around CHHS alums your humiliation would be ten-fold..........

Architect2010
09-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Not trying to rain on this lil' Grant football parade, but I attend Southeast High, and Grant didn't have 29. We did. Matter of fact, this was Southeast's 11th year in a row to beat U.S. Grant. Let's not mix scores up shall we? ;]

Generals64
09-13-2009, 01:41 PM
Not trying to rain on this lil' Grant football parade, but I attend Southeast High, and Grant didn't have 29. We did. Matter of fact, this was Southeast's 11th year in a row to beat U.S. Grant. Let's not mix scores up shall we? ;]

don't toot the horn too loud, check scores back in the 60's....Late Fifties and Early Sixties.....You did have Bobby Murcer on your team however....

Prunepicker
09-13-2009, 01:48 PM
Not trying to rain on this lil' Grant football parade, but I attend Southeast
High, and Grant didn't have 29. We did. Matter of fact, this was Southeast's
11th year in a row to beat U.S. Grant. Let's not mix scores up shall we?
;]

ooooops... I read the page wrong... rats...

grantgeneral78
09-13-2009, 03:23 PM
Wow impressive maybe grant is back!

Architect2010
09-13-2009, 04:57 PM
Lol. I'm not "tooting" any horn. I'm juss sayin' that Southeast won, not Grunt. And besides, the 60's and 50's are way before my time; trying to boast Grant's dominance back then versus now isn't going to sway me. LIS, I was juss sayin'.

Generals64
09-13-2009, 05:01 PM
Lol. I'm not "tooting" any horn. I'm juss sayin' that Southeast won, not Grunt. And besides, the 60's and 50's are way before my time; trying to boast Grant's dominance back then versus now isn't going to sway me. LIS, I was juss sayin'.

Hang in there Buddy, maybe they'll keep that school (Southeast) open long enough for you to graduate.....Just kidding you anyway. in the Fall of '63 Southeast beat Grant so Bad that at our 45th class reunion (July of this Year) we made a vow not to discuss the Grant/Southeast game....Come to the next meeting and I'll buy you a hotdog and a rootbeer then you can be one of the old guys.....We don't care how old you are and the fact that you go to Southeast....We have some other "slackers" from the old days of Southeast....

papaOU
09-13-2009, 10:04 PM
This was the first high school football game I have attended in about 20 years. First time I have ever been in that stadium straight.

Bad observations: Students being checked out with a metal detector wand.

No band from either school.

No pep club.

About a dozen cheerleaders for each team with some 200lbs. or more.

Asking around this is true for all inner city schools.

No bands.....No vocal groups......Unless it's sports it's not dealt with.

My brother in-law teaches at Western Heights which still have most all of the extra curricular activities. It seems that today's teachers feel their work day is from first bell to the last bell. No need to stay longer. Not part of their job.

Only staff to serve as "observers" at the game (stop trouble before it starts) were athletic staff.

USG '60
09-14-2009, 07:38 AM
This was the first high school football game I have attended in about 20 years. First time I have ever been in that stadium straight.

No pep club.

My brother in-law teaches at Western Heights which still have most all of the extra curricular activities. It seems that today's teachers feel their work day is from first bell to the last bell. No need to stay longer. Not part of their job.

Only staff to serve as "observers" at the game (stop trouble before it starts) were athletic staff.No bands? Are you sure it was a football game? I didn't know it was possible to play football without bands. Who'da thunk. That is SAD.

Generals64
09-14-2009, 08:25 AM
No bands? Are you sure it was a football game? I didn't know it was possible to play football without bands. Who'da thunk. That is SAD.

PapaOU...Sorry...the wife made other plans for me.....still my first cook......but, the band director (2 years ago) at Grant was using the Jefferson Jr. High DRUM LINE for the games...he had (maybe wrong) 9 students from grant in the Band..
My wife teaches at Carl Albert now...the Jr. High has a FULL band and Choir and the place is so organized its scary.....Teachers are where they are supposed to be and they do their duties as scheduled and no one complains.....Why is there such a difference?????

papaOU
09-15-2009, 12:31 AM
PapaOU...Sorry...the wife made other plans for me.....still my first cook......but, the band director (2 years ago) at Grant was using the Jefferson Jr. High DRUM LINE for the games...he had (maybe wrong) 9 students from grant in the Band..
My wife teaches at Carl Albert now...the Jr. High has a FULL band and Choir and the place is so organized its scary.....Teachers are where they are supposed to be and they do their duties as scheduled and no one complains.....Why is there such a difference?????

Midwest City, Del City, Bethany, PC, PC West, Choctaw, all the Edmond schools.......................

All the surrounding schools, not sure about Moore Schools all have bands, pep clubs...............

We are in a sad state of affairs......................

I am sure glad that my two local granddaughters attend Norman and Moore public schools...

If not I would be running to that third job to pay for tuition to Mt. St. Mary's or such...............

SOUTHSIDE GIRL
09-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Midwest City, Del City, Bethany, PC, PC West, Choctaw, all the Edmond schools.......................

All the surrounding schools, not sure about Moore Schools all have bands, pep clubs...............

We are in a sad state of affairs......................

I am sure glad that my two local granddaughters attend Norman and Moore public schools...

If not I would be running to that third job to pay for tuition to Mt. St. Mary's or such...............

MSM has a band, cheerleaders, student cheer section and the tailgate party for alumni and first home game is this Friday Sept 18. There are still some southside schools that have sprit.

Generals64
09-15-2009, 06:33 PM
When I was at Grant we fielded 150 plus members in the band.....My Junior year we combined both Grant and Capitol Hill bands for a half time....Over 300 students with "fire twirling" Batons with the Majorettes...What a spectacle...My girlfriend at the time was one of the Majorettes and she forgot and put Hairspray on her hair.....lighted Baton plus hairspray equal a Micheal Jackson impersonation.....She had short hair on Monday after the Friday game.....

Architect2010
09-15-2009, 06:43 PM
When we played Grant, our band was there, and we [Southeast] were the away team. Every football game day they have the full band walk down the hallways between 1st and 2nd hour to promote spirit. I don't know why Grant's band wasn't there when we played them. I do know for a fact though that their band leader was at Moore-War. He's a friend of mine. ;]

Generals64
09-15-2009, 06:54 PM
When we played Grant, our band was there, and we [Southeast] were the away team. Every football game day they have the full band walk down the hallways between 1st and 2nd hour to promote spirit. I don't know why Grant's band wasn't there when we played them. I do know for a fact though that their band leader was at Moore-War. He's a friend of mine. ;]
Hey guy:....when I was in High school, the band was a pretty good gig. We had a real dedicated director and we won many band contests throughout the State of Oklahoma. We also marched through the halls on game day and during the pep rally but it seems that Grant hasn't had a band of any consequences in the past few years....You said you go to southeast....Don't you have to apply to get in that school now? I was under the impression that Southeast was similar to a Charter School and you had to be accepted by the Principal etc. Where did you attend Junior Highschool??? or middle school as it's called now.

papaOU
09-15-2009, 07:34 PM

Do they (Grant Band) only attend/play at home games?

papaOU
09-16-2009, 12:06 AM
Capitol Hill and Southeast this friday........

Generals64
09-16-2009, 09:47 AM
Do they (Grant Band) only attend/play at home games?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I don't even know if they have a band...Mariachi maybe????

papaOU
09-17-2009, 09:26 PM
NE 37-Grant 19

No band in attendance for Grant..

NE had theirs......

grantgeneral78
09-18-2009, 02:19 AM

No pep club.

Only staff to serve as "observers" at the game (stop trouble before it starts) were athletic staff.

OMG that is shocking to hear all this, I thought they still had the bands and pep clubs....Geez how depressing

grantgeneral78
09-22-2009, 08:20 AM
Ok -I am having nightmares that 200lb cheerleaders are chasing me therough a doughnut shop!....thanks PAPA

Generals64
09-22-2009, 09:09 AM
Ok -I am having nightmares that 200lb cheerleaders are chasing me therough a doughnut shop!....thanks PAPA
Yep and they can't speak a lick of English.

Redskins/General
09-22-2009, 01:55 PM
Yep and they can't speak a lick of English.
There ol' Gen/78 goes again having those visions!! Ha! Ha! I'm coming to the get together on the 26th and I'm expecting Gen/78 to either pay for my hot dogs and root beer or bring me a sack of Fried Chicken!!