View Full Version : U.S. GRANT GENERALS.......got memories?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

CarltonsKeeper
04-05-2009, 06:37 AM
Would have have been Exchange Avenue Baptist Church?
That be it!!

Generals64
04-07-2009, 10:04 AM
That be it!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since you guys mentioned Mrs. Baugh, I wonder if she and/or Mrs. Hilda Manning are still alive????

papaOU
04-07-2009, 07:22 PM
Since you guys mentioned Mrs. Baugh, I wonder if she and/or Mrs. Hilda Manning are still alive????

There are some on this thread that are not sure if YOU are alive!!:LolLolLol

Generals64
04-07-2009, 08:17 PM
There are some on this thread that are not sure if YOU are alive!!:LolLolLol
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
wELL, POPS, I hate to admit but, i've been trying to grow my hair like yours so I can look young again...My barber knows College cut, burrs, flat tops,"boogie" but doen't know what a mullet is....Oh well dead or alive Grant lives on....
http://www.okctalk.com/images/smilies/Smilie1/bedtime.gifhttp://www.okctalk.com/images/smilies/poke.gif

USG '60
04-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Hilda Manning was dear friend of my moms and they exchanged letter weekly for the last 20 years until my mom died last fall. As my sister was also close to Hilda, I imagine she would have told me if she had died. She was truly a wonderful human being, and a true lady. It was sad to watch her health deteriorate over the last 15 or so years.

Generals64
04-07-2009, 09:28 PM
Hilda Manning was dear friend of my moms and they exchanged letter weekly for the last 20 years until my mom died last fall. As my sister was also close to Hilda, I imagine she would have told me if she had died. She was truly a wonderful human being, and a true lady. It was sad to watch her health deteriorate over the last 15 or so years.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I witnessed the True side of Hilda Manning the day Kennedy was shot. You could see the tears in her eyes but her composure was as close to perfection as the best could have done. Her response was let's keep the families in prayer and keep our nations head held high...She then turned on the television that she had in the room...Learn more than English from her. I learned that the generation before mine still had class.....

papaOU
04-07-2009, 09:34 PM
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
wELL, POPS, I hate to admit but, i've been trying to grow my hair like yours so I can look young again...My barber knows College cut, burrs, flat tops,"boogie" but doen't know what a mullet is....Oh well dead or alive Grant lives on....
http://www.okctalk.com/images/smilies/Smilie1/bedtime.gifhttp://www.okctalk.com/images/smilies/poke.gif

Should have seen my mullet. Used Butch Wax on the top.

Speaking of hair products remember the pale-green oil/cream that came in a bottle with a pheasant on the front of it? It was called "green lizard" and the alkeys drank it for the buzz when nothing else was available. Know what the real name was and do they make it anymore? I figure Grant alums would know if anybody did.:LolLolLol

Generals64
04-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Should have seen my mullet. Used Butch Wax on the top.

Speaking of hair products remember the pale-green oil/cream that came in a bottle with a pheasant on the front of it? It was called "green lizard" and the alkeys drank it for the buzz when nothing else was available. Know what the real name was and do they make it anymore? I figure Grant alums would know if anybody did.:LolLolLol
I don't remember the name...but, I do remember getting my shoes shined for a bottle of Brut....I couldn't figure out what he did with all the stuff....My shoes always shined....Codovan saddle...He always had good breath and smelled good...

Prunepicker
04-08-2009, 12:29 PM
Since you guys mentioned Mrs. Baugh, I wonder if she and/or Mrs. Hilda
Manning are still alive?

I don't remember Mrs. Baugh but I do remember Mrs. Manning.

Redskins/General
04-08-2009, 03:56 PM
I don't remember the name...but, I do remember getting my shoes shined for a bottle of Brut....I couldn't figure out what he did with all the stuff....My shoes always shined....Codovan saddle...He always had good breath and smelled good...
Not to change the subject, but take a hard look at these threads on the Nostalgia Forum!! Are they all going to hell in a hand-basket? You've lost the majority of people who use to frequent the old "Southside Memories." Three or four people are scribbling anything they can to try and keep these silly threads going! I'm not being critical, I'm just saying what the rest of you won't! LOOK at these threads, there a JOKE! Two people actually dominate the entire Forum.. What if they were to run a test and open up the original thread "Southside Memories" for say 30 days to see what kind of response appears? Could this be do'able'?????? I'm only voicing an opinion which seems to be that of many others who I have pm'd with. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, which will happen whether I want it to or not!! Think about it, "Make out spots" - "Favorite TV shows" etc. I think we are all "Howdy Doodied" out!!! Surely there is an answer to this! We have lost all the good people from Gen/78, Gen70, Soonergirl barely makes an appearance and many more have gone by the way. Any ideas???????????

papaOU
04-08-2009, 04:21 PM
Not to change the subject, but take a hard look at these threads on the Nostalgia Forum!! Are they all going to hell in a hand-basket? You've lost the majority of people who use to frequent the old "Southside Memories." Three or four people are scribbling anything they can to try and keep these silly threads going! I'm not being critical, I'm just saying what the rest of you won't! LOOK at these threads, there a JOKE! Two people actually dominate the entire Forum.. What if they were to run a test and open up the original thread "Southside Memories" for say 30 days to see what kind of response appears? Could this be do'able'?????? I'm only voicing an opinion which seems to be that of many others who I have pm'd with. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, which will happen whether I want it to or not!! Think about it, "Make out spots" - "Favorite TV shows" etc. I think we are all "Howdy Doodied" out!!! Surely there is an answer to this! We have lost all the good people from Gen/78, Gen70, Soonergirl barely makes an appearance and many more have gone by the way. Any ideas???????????

I was not aware of this site to be part of the "Southside Memories" original thread. I was invited by a former classmate to come on board. Since that time I have learned things I did not know, met some wonderful people, on line and in person, and had some fun at the same time. If people have fallen by the wayside are they, and yourself not aware that a question or topic can be entered on an existing thread, or that starting a new thread is legal. I appreciate your feelings and concern but I feel there are several options available to all.

Redskins/General
04-08-2009, 04:55 PM
I was not aware of this site to be part of the "Southside Memories" original thread. I was invited by a former classmate to come on board. Since that time I have learned things I did not know, met some wonderful people, on line and in person, and had some fun at the same time. If people have fallen by the wayside are they, and yourself not aware that a question or topic can be entered on an existing thread, or that starting a new thread is legal. I appreciate your feelings and concern but I feel there are several options available to all.
I totally respect your opinion, but my point being is that it is dying on the vine!! Only a few like yourself and actually two others are keeping it alive. If you leave and the other two main voices, it's over!! I'm just saying there is no comparison to this forum or threads with reference to what we gave up on the original "Southside Memories." This actually is a substitute for the "Southside Memories." The reasons are given by the owner Mr. Peter B. on the first thread, although there are numerous others. The multitude of threads we now have are somewhat juvenile and down right silly. I know your answer to that, "Don't read them" and your 100% right!! Thanks

Redskins/General
04-08-2009, 05:27 PM
Gen/78 where have you disappeared to? We've been missing you and your wonderful wit. Come on back home, tell us some interesting moments at U.S. Grant High School! Your not holding out on us are you?

papaOU
04-08-2009, 06:05 PM
I totally respect your opinion, but my point being is that it is dying on the vine!! Only a few like yourself and actually two others are keeping it alive. If you leave and the other two main voices, it's over!! I'm just saying there is no comparison to this forum or threads with reference to what we gave up on the original "Southside Memories." This actually is a substitute for the "Southside Memories." The reasons are given by the owner Mr. Peter B. on the first thread, although there are numerous others. The multitude of threads we now have are somewhat juvenile and down right silly. I know your answer to that, "Don't read them" and your 100% right!! Thanks

You would not get my respect if you did not read them. Gotta read 'em to know what your talking about. I would hope that if there were any thoughts to closing this thread we would be told in advanced and advised on any changes that need to be made to prevent it.

Isn't that right god(moderator). Small "g" no blasemphe.

Redskins/General
04-08-2009, 06:14 PM
You would not get my respect if you did not read them. Gotta read 'em to know what your talking about. I would hope that if there were any thoughts to closing this thread we would be told in advanced and advised on any changes that need to be made to prevent it.

Isn't that right god(moderator). Small "g" no blasemphe.
I haven't heard anything about these threads being closed! I was only voicing my opinion! Short and to the point, we have lost a tremendous amount of "posters" and it concerns me. Thanks,

Generals64
04-08-2009, 07:36 PM
I haven't heard anything about these threads being closed! I was only voicing my opinion! Short and to the point, we have lost a tremendous amount of "posters" and it concerns me. Thanks,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Red/Gen:.....I have to agree with YOU...(That Hurt):...but, there is more fun times going on and I don't really see any for see able problems in the future:....I do wish the old thread was opened and maybe some of the other posters would jump in. you, we have all got memories that we still have hangin back in the cob webs of our minds.....But, we have so many that have not posted that they just don't jump out there....Don't know what happened to '78 though....

Redskins/General
04-08-2009, 07:51 PM
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Red/Gen:.....I have to agree with YOU...(That Hurt):...but, there is more fun times going on and I don't really see any for see able problems in the future:....I do wish the old thread was opened and maybe some of the other posters would jump in. you, we have all got memories that we still have hangin back in the cob webs of our minds.....But, we have so many that have not posted that they just don't jump out there....Don't know what happened to '78 though....
Maybe the hogs ate him???? Or better yet, could he have been kidnapped?

Generals64
04-09-2009, 03:32 PM
Maybe the hogs ate him???? Or better yet, could he have been kidnapped?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
He;s too big for anyone wanting to kidnap him.....We can keep this thing going no matter what.....Here's one about Grant that only a hand full of the faithfuls would know....The original mascot name of Grant Highschool????Also, who is buried in Grant's Tomb. that was on my Senior History final...

MsDarkstar
04-09-2009, 03:38 PM
It's been interesting reading this thread :) I didn't go to Grant myself, but it looks like my mother went to school with some of you - she graduated in 1965. When I was growing up, I used to look through her yearbooks & she'd tell me about how things were when she was in school. LOL I actually recognize some of the names that've been mentioned in the thread from stories she's told me. Fun stuff!

Generals64
04-09-2009, 06:30 PM
It's been interesting reading this thread :) I didn't go to Grant myself, but it looks like my mother went to school with some of you - she graduated in 1965. When I was growing up, I used to look through her yearbooks & she'd tell me about how things were when she was in school. LOL I actually recognize some of the names that've been mentioned in the thread from stories she's told me. Fun stuff!
I probably know your mom....Figure out a way to PM me and I'll get you some dirt on her so you can get a better Christmas Present....Ask questions and we will answer to the best of our knowledge.....Carltons Keeper graduated with your mother and I know he'll know her.....He was one of those Mr. "Get 64 in trouble kind of guys"...really let me know....Tell her I have a bunch of Grant Dispatch papers from '65 and if she and you want to come to the Saturday lunch let me know and I'll bring them.....'65 is the class that donated the infamous Cannon.....How many people have claimed to paint that thing?????If they were all true the cannon would weigh in at 170 tons....Oh yeah, tell your mom they forgot to dig up the '65 time capsule and it is now under Concrete and black top....Generals64

MsDarkstar
04-09-2009, 08:39 PM
LOL yeah I told her about this board earlier & she said "Oh Lord I probably know those trouble makers!" I think trouble maker is a good term for some of ya... I can remember when her class had one of their reunions...their 20th I believe... She wasn't able to attend, and we woke up the next morning to find that her old classmates had done the mature thing & TP'd our house LOL. My aunt was Class of 67 and my uncle was class of 71 (I think).

grantgeneral78
04-09-2009, 09:10 PM
Man I am feeling the love! glad to see I was missed, been busy doing a little bit of this and a little bit of that. What did they do with all the artifacts from grant did the city even try to save any for historical purposes?

Prunepicker
04-10-2009, 09:01 AM
... Here's one about Grant that only a hand full of the faithfuls would know...
The original mascot name of Grant Highschool?

Robert E. Lee?

Generals64
04-10-2009, 04:33 PM
Robert E. Lee?

Hoo ray, you have officially Graduated with the U.S. Grant class of 1964....Thank you Mr. Marker....

papaOU
04-10-2009, 09:58 PM
Original mascot for Grant? Old Log Cabin? Old Crow?

Prunepicker
04-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Original mascot for Grant? Old Log Cabin? Old Crow?

Don't you ever sleep?

Come to think of it, Old Crow may have been the mascot. At least there
was a bunch of Old Crow memorabilia under the bleachers after each game.

Hey! Nothing but the best for Generals... and Redskins... and Spartans...
and Trojans... and the OKC Police department... and that cop who drove the
'59 Volvo... and... come to think of it... Old Crow only accomplished one
thing...and I don't remember what it was. Now peppermint schnapps and a
date... that was a totally different proposition... maybe not a proposition
as it was a... dang... I wish I could remember...

Remember what?

Huh?

:bedtime:

papaOU
04-11-2009, 05:48 PM
[QUOTE=Prunepicker;215923]Don't you ever sleep?

I only sleep while I'm driving!:kicking:

USG '60
04-11-2009, 10:50 PM
We started out as the Eagles.

papaOU
04-11-2009, 11:47 PM
We started out as the Eagles.

That fits. From what I experienced at the last Southsider meeting most of you are now BALD Eagles.:LolLolLol

grantgeneral78
04-12-2009, 07:06 PM
what kind of guns were used in the shooting range at grant?

Generals64
04-12-2009, 07:18 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remington .22 Bolt action Target Rifles....If you come to the meeting Saturday, I'll bring one Yearbook with the Rifle Clubs class picture....

grantgeneral78
04-12-2009, 07:40 PM
yeah I will be there.

Prunepicker
04-12-2009, 08:45 PM
That fits. From what I experienced at the last Southsider meeting most of
you are now BALD Eagles.

There are only a few perfect heads. The rest are covered with hair.

:LolLolLol

papaOU
04-12-2009, 11:01 PM

When you were going there what type of guns were used in the school building and parking lot. Be honest. :woowoo:

Prunepicker
04-12-2009, 11:10 PM
Remington .22 Bolt action Target Rifles... If you come to the meeting
Saturday, I'll bring one Yearbook with the Rifle Clubs class picture...

I wish I could remember the rifles we had at the private school I went to. I
won a shooting match with a perfect score. I like shooting. My dad had us
shoot .22's at expended .410 shells at 25 yards or so. We'd nail'em and
ended up seeing who had the most centered shot.

Those were the daze.

I have no idea what these daze are called.

papaOU
04-13-2009, 01:47 PM
I wish I could remember the rifles we had at the private school I went to. I
won a shooting match with a perfect score. I like shooting. My dad had us
shoot .22's at expended .410 shells at 25 yards or so. We'd nail'em and
ended up seeing who had the most centered shot.

Those were the daze.

I have no idea what these daze are called.

.410's taste like chicken.

Generals64
04-13-2009, 03:23 PM
.410's taste like chicken.
My dad always said don't pull a gun unless you're going to use it or make sure it was made of chocolate in case you had to EAT it....

Prunepicker
04-13-2009, 04:00 PM
My dad always said don't pull a gun unless you're going to use it or make sure
it was made of chocolate in case you had to EAT it...

Our guns aren't made of chocolate!

grantgeneral78
04-13-2009, 05:18 PM
When you were going there what type of guns were used in the school building and parking lot. Be honest. :woowoo:

Mainly GLOCKS and MAC 10`s

Generals64
04-13-2009, 05:37 PM

No Bullets though...We don't need that rumor floating around now do we????A bicycle chain hurt pretty bad in the good old days when times were bad...

papaOU
04-13-2009, 06:24 PM

So much for the girls. What did the guys carry?:elmer3:

grantgeneral78
04-13-2009, 08:10 PM

usually tank rpg`s or bunker busters.......lite weaponry!

Prunepicker
04-13-2009, 09:29 PM
When you were going there what type of guns
were used in the school building and parking lot. Be honest. :woowoo:

Hey! I showed Semrad my Winchester Model 12, made in 1923. He never
thought twice about it. We were in the parking lot at the time.

It's too bad that parents don't teach their kids the severity and danger of
gun ownership.

Man, Daddy Prunepicker knocked that sense into our heads before we were
out of elementary school.

There's one thing I'll remember for the rest of my life.

ALL GUNS ARE LOADED. EVEN EMPTY GUNS!

Think about that the next time you show someone your gun.
I've crammed that down my grandkids throat. Guns are dangerous! And
there's no such thing as an empty gun!

Prunepicker
04-13-2009, 09:48 PM
No Bullets though... We don't need that rumor floating around now do we? A
bicycle chain hurt pretty bad in the good old days when times were bad...

They also made for greasy chino's, aka wheat jeans.

Prunepicker
04-13-2009, 11:11 PM

Dangit! Here I am at Mid-night talkin' to a super nutcase who listens to
Frank Zappa recordings.

Unfortunately, I listen to Zappa, too.

Brown shoes don't make it.

Prunepicker
04-13-2009, 11:15 PM
LBJ wore brown shoes with a grey suit. Not even the most radical Prune
would make such a faux pas.

Well, maybe he would...

papaOU
04-13-2009, 11:31 PM
LBJ wore brown shoes with a grey suit. Not even the most radical Prune
would make such a faux pas.

Well, maybe he would...

HELP I'M A ROCK!!!!:yourock:

...........they had a swimming pool............

Prunepicker
04-13-2009, 11:42 PM
HELP I'M A ROCK!:yourock:

... they had a swimming pool...

Hey! Are you still awake? Get a life!

Just a minute, I'm awake, too.

Never mind...

papaOU
04-13-2009, 11:50 PM
Hey! Are you still awake? Get a life!

Just a minute, I'm awake, too.

Never mind...

You mean I'm not asleep?

OH MY GOD!!! This is really happening....................:mr_hat:

Prunepicker
04-13-2009, 11:53 PM
You mean I'm not asleep?

OH MY GOD!!! This is really happening... :mr_hat:

To tell the truth, I'm clueless.

Generals64
04-14-2009, 01:34 PM
They also made for greasy chino's, aka wheat jeans.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Been there?............done that?.....................HMMMMMMM

grantgeneral78
04-14-2009, 07:00 PM
Ok who wrote Grants fight song?

Prunepicker
04-14-2009, 07:09 PM
Ok who wrote Grants fight song?

It was written in 1922 by Milo Sweet, a USC dental student, as his entry to a
Trojan spirit contest.

It's the same song.

grantgeneral78
04-14-2009, 07:12 PM
It was written in 1922 by Milo Sweet, a USC dental student, as his entry to a
Trojan spirit contest.

It's the same song.

Dangit picker my trivia questions have no chance with you , lets say season folks around....sheesh!

:doh:

Generals64
04-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Dangit picker my trivia questions have no chance with you , lets say season folks around....sheesh!

:doh:

O.K. who wrote Grant's Alma Mater song? and what year was it implemented???

Prunepicker
04-14-2009, 07:56 PM
O.K. who wrote Grant's Alma Mater song? and what year was it implemented?

I never learned it. I think I saw it written out once, but not sure. Maybe it
was Crooked Oak's.

Generals64
04-14-2009, 08:19 PM
I never learned it. I think I saw it written out once, but not sure. Maybe it
was Crooked Oak's.

Mr. Ray Ballew and the U.S. grant choir class of.....1964....Ta-Daaaaa

Prunepicker
04-14-2009, 08:32 PM
Mr. Ray Ballew and the U.S. Grant choir class of... 1964... Ta-Daaaaa

It was 10 years before Grant had an Alma Mater song? What did they do
before that? Sing the Beer Barrel Polka?

Generals64
04-14-2009, 08:41 PM
It was 10 years before Grant had an Alma Mater song? What did they do
before that? Sing the Beer Barrel Polka?
I guess, even the class didn't know they were doing it until about the last six weeks....We had to learn it for Graduation....Lot's hummming went on........Sheesh...

papaOU
04-14-2009, 09:22 PM
O.K. who wrote Grant's Alma Mater song? and what year was it implemented???

I'm confused.
Grant's Alma Mater is a farm implement?
I always thought it was a prosthetic device.:ohno:

I need to quit going to bed so early.