View Full Version : U.S. GRANT GENERALS.......got memories?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

LandryTeam
03-11-2009, 10:53 AM
My dad went to Grant....he was born in 1950 which means he would have graduated 1967 or 1968. His name was Eddie Landry (his brother went too...Bruce Landry). Do any of you guys know either of these names? Have any memories?

Eddie

USG '60
03-11-2009, 10:59 AM
When -I went there thats where they went was the "Y" but the rifle range would have been cool to see. What else was down there besides that......maybe Al Capones vault?It was the guts of the building, mechanicals. Nothin' worth seeing, I assure you.

Generals64
03-11-2009, 04:17 PM
My dad went to Grant....he was born in 1950 which means he would have graduated 1967 or 1968. His name was Eddie Landry (his brother went too...Bruce Landry). Do any of you guys know either of these names? Have any memories?

Eddie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Know them both...they had either a sister or cousin named Linda....She was my age, went to Grade school with her....

LandryTeam
03-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Generals64...wow...very cool! Linda was their sister (my aunt). Eddie was my dad. Kinda neat to connect with someone who knew him in his HS days.

Eddie

Generals64
03-11-2009, 06:23 PM
Generals64...wow...very cool! Linda was their sister (my aunt). Eddie was my dad. Kinda neat to connect with someone who knew him in his HS days.

Eddie
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Knew him Grade School Buddy...He was I think a couple of years behind ..I think he graduated from Highschool in '66 with my wife....I'll check and see when she gets home....Linda was a pistol growing up. Meek and mild and took no Crap off anyone. Is she still the same way?????

LandryTeam
03-11-2009, 06:39 PM
WOW....you described Linda to a T! She is fiery and will speak her mind to anyone! My uncle Bruce retired from the OKC Fire Dept many years ago. My dad...well after HS he got in trouble and the judge offered him jail time or the Marines....he choose to enlist and he went to Vietnam. Once he came back he was still wild and hot headed....drank too much (along with other stuff). He was in prison until I was 17...then just as he and I was starting up a good relationship he was killed in a car accident in 1993. He had been drinking and it was raining (never a good combo). He was a 43 year old man living like a 20 year old. I'm 35 now and it is interesting to talk to someone who knew them growing up.

grantgeneral78
03-12-2009, 05:51 PM
WOW....you described Linda to a T! She is fiery and will speak her mind to anyone! My uncle Bruce retired from the OKC Fire Dept many years ago. My dad...well after HS he got in trouble and the judge offered him jail time or the Marines....he choose to enlist and he went to Vietnam. Once he came back he was still wild and hot headed....drank too much (along with other stuff). He was in prison until I was 17...then just as he and I was starting up a good relationship he was killed in a car accident in 1993. He had been drinking and it was raining (never a good combo). He was a 43 year old man living like a 20 year old. I'm 35 now and it is interesting to talk to someone who knew them growing up.

That is terrible Landry, at least yall were getting back on a good footing before you lost your dad.

Generals64
03-12-2009, 10:27 PM
U.S. Grant Highschool.....Many graduates and many a good person went through the halls of our alma mater. But, with every class there was something donated to the school from the graduating class....Can you guys and gals remember any of the items donated byt he seperate classes?.....Grant's first class was 1956 or 55.....The class of 64:....An Organ for the Auditorium:...Class of 65:.....THE CANNON...class of 66:.....Original Marquis out on Penn...Don't know any more anybody????

grantgeneral78
03-13-2009, 04:22 AM
I don`t remember our class donating anything.

Generals64
03-13-2009, 07:56 AM
Get serious surely they gave something besides Semrad a hard time.....

CarltonsKeeper
03-13-2009, 07:57 AM
U.S. Grant Highschool.....Many graduates and many a good person went through the halls of our alma mater. But, with every class there was something donated to the school from the graduating class....Can you guys and gals remember any of the items donated byt he seperate classes?.....Grant's first class was 1956 or 55.....The class of 64:....An Organ for the Auditorium:...Class of 65:.....THE CANNON...class of 66:.....Original Marquis out on Penn...Don't know any more anybody????
Grant opened it's doors and tents in 1953 and the first graduating class was that of 1958! Where we lived you had a choice of Grant or Capitol Hill the first few years! My brother went the Capitol Hill route while my sister and I went the Grant trail.

Prunepicker
03-13-2009, 11:06 AM
Ours wrote numbers to bail bonds by the pay phone.

CarltonsKeeper
03-13-2009, 11:16 AM
Does anyone other than Gen/64 remember the "Big Top" negro minstrel (not being racist) that U.S. Grant use to put on from about 1956 to 1961???????? I was in grade school in the 50's and I went to many of them. For obvious reasons they were done away with. They were done in good taste with no discrimination of any kind, but the times they are a changin' or did someone else say that!! Anyway, they were a lot of fun to go to, the stage was the one in which I went to Study Hall in, the North West corner of the building! Did anyone else ever go or know what I'm talking about. I bet 60 or Rickster or one of those guys did!!

USG '60
03-13-2009, 12:00 PM
I don't remember that for some reason, old age maybe, BUT...... Our senior year I played the part of Genesis, the "negro" gardener in the play Seventeen. Because of that role one of the young ladies running for student council president asked me to create a skit as Genesis in which I pitched her at the nomination assembly. Stereotypical blackface makeup was not used and I remember nothing whatever about how I did the pitch. I don't doubt a bit that the minstrel shows occurred, I just don't remember them.

Generals64
03-13-2009, 01:15 PM
I don't remember that for some reason, old age maybe, BUT...... Our senior year I played the part of Genesis, the "negro" gardener in the play Seventeen. Because of that role one of the young ladies running for student council president asked me to create a skit as Genesis in which I pitched her at the nomination assembly. Stereotypical blackface makeup was not used and I remember nothing whatever about how I did the pitch. I don't doubt a bit that the minstrel shows occurred, I just don't remember them.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
I remember the plays but, most of all I remember the 7th hour study hall....I'll bet Prunepicker does also Huh?

grantgeneral78
03-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Yeah we donated our souls to the school I remember now..sheesh

grantgeneral78
03-13-2009, 09:09 PM
I wonder what happened to principal Diggs?

Prunepicker
03-14-2009, 09:35 PM
... I don't remember that for some reason, old age maybe...
That's only because you're old... reeeeal old.

Come to think of it, I'm not too far behind... Hey, don't worry about
forgetting some insignificant bit of trivia? I do it 40 or 50 times a day. Ask
anyone on the Political Forums :Smiley077

Prunepicker
03-14-2009, 09:39 PM
Has anyone on this thread received an email from someone asking you to
join a US Grant Alumni thing? This bugs me big time. I'm going to put it on
my spam setting unless someone on this thread did it.

Come to think of it, nobody on this thread has my email address. Not even
Gen64 or Soonergirl26 and they have my phone number!

As a matter of fact, I heard that my phone number was written in the girls
restroom as someone to never call for a good time.

grantgeneral78
03-14-2009, 09:42 PM
my spam setting unless someone on this thread did it.

Come to think of it, nobody on this thread has my email address. Not even
Gen64 or Soonergirl26 and they have my phone number!

As a matter of fact, I heard that my phone number was written in the girls
restroom as someone to never call for a good time.

I tend to be more than a little concered that you found out about that grafitti displayed in the womens quiet place.

Prunepicker
03-14-2009, 09:55 PM
I tend to be more than a little concerned that you found out about that
graffiti displayed in the women;s quiet place.

It wasn't a big secret. That's one of the reasons my friend and I cruised the
north side so much. At least we had a chance, slim as it was.

FRISKY
03-15-2009, 06:01 AM
my spam setting unless someone on this thread did it.Did you give that contact information at any of your US Grant reunions?

I remember filling out a card with my contact information many years ago. The person in charge of our class reunion only sent me some info one time. One part of that single email did ask me to be sure to sign up on the official US Grant Alumni website.

Generals64
03-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Did you give that contact information at any of your US Grant reunions?

I remember filling out a card with my contact information many years ago. The person in charge of our class reunion only sent me some info one time. One part of that single email did ask me to be sure to sign up on the official US Grant Alumni website.
Prunepicker probably filled out the card hoping someone would get him a call....For a GREAT time??????Hmm maybe not....

grantgeneral78
03-16-2009, 07:32 PM
I remember we had a class called Human Relations, for the life of me I can remember the teachers name if someone knows let me know. Anyway we sat on bean bag chairs and discussed life! Easy class, but most of the doods back then took Home ec. to hit on the girls, kind of hard to be manly making bon bons and muffins though.

Generals64
03-19-2009, 03:08 PM
I remember we had a class called Human Relations, for the life of me I can remember the teachers name if someone knows let me know. Anyway we sat on bean bag chairs and discussed life! Easy class, but most of the doods back then took Home ec. to hit on the girls, kind of hard to be manly making bon bons and muffins though.
Was it Miss Shugru?????

papaOU
03-19-2009, 06:38 PM
I remember Coach Virgil Miliron and the wrestling teams. I also remember the
swats. He was my gym instructor, too. Leave a towel in the dressing room
and get a swat. Walk on the basketball court with street shoes and get a
swat. Complain about getting swats and get a swat. I think there was some
education doled out here and there.

I had him for a P.E. class at Oscar Rose in 1976. "The Theroy of Football Coaching." He was a coach at Rose and had been part of the Midwest City footall coaching staff as well as the wrestling coach before that. He also was an assitant college football coach but I don't know where.

grantgeneral78
03-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Was it Miss Shugru?????

No it was a man , kind of a beat nick looking guy

Generals64
03-19-2009, 07:36 PM
No it was a man , kind of a beat nick looking guy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
A kinda nice looking "GUY"? are you trying to tell us something '78???

Prunepicker
03-19-2009, 08:01 PM
A kinda nice looking "GUY"? are you trying to tell us something '78?

This could get ugly at Coit's.

BIG FIGHT AT COIT'S ON THE 28TH!

Y'all come and watch! Hey! Coit's has a big parking lot! Plenty of room to
fall down and get up, if you know what I mean.

Then again, watching two grown up adults fighting in walkers isn't really
what you'd want to call excitement!

SHOW UP ANYWAY TO WATCH THE EMT ATTENDANTS UNLOCK
THE WALKERS AND PUT MERCURACHROME ON THEIR KNEES!

:LolLolLol

grantgeneral78
03-20-2009, 01:58 AM
A kinda nice looking "GUY"? are you trying to tell us something '78???

Go to bed 64 your passing that stone your having spells!

FRISKY
03-21-2009, 10:50 AM
I will try once again to post pictures of the names scratched into concrete at US Grant around 1972 -1973...

http://www.okctalk.com/members/frisky-albums-us-grant-high-school-pictures-picture108-mvc-017f.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/members/frisky-albums-us-grant-high-school-pictures-picture107-mvc-016f.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/members/frisky-albums-us-grant-high-school-pictures-picture106-mvc-015f.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/members/frisky-albums-us-grant-high-school-pictures-picture105-mvc-014f.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/members/frisky-albums-us-grant-high-school-pictures-picture104-mvc-013f.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/members/frisky-albums-us-grant-high-school-pictures-picture103-mvc-012f.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/members/frisky-albums-us-grant-high-school-pictures-picture100-mvc-010f.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/members/frisky-albums-us-grant-high-school-pictures-picture101-mvc-011f.jpg

http://www.okctalk.com/members/frisky-albums-us-grant-high-school-pictures-picture102-mvc-001f.jpg

grantgeneral78
03-21-2009, 08:14 PM
I wonder if they pulled out all of the pencils in the band room ceiling, they were stuck in that sound deading cancer squares that kids over the years launched up there. -Of course I never did anything juvenile like that myself (snickering) :bright_id

papaOU
03-25-2009, 04:41 PM
Were these pictures taken from inside or outside the jail cells? Can see the shadow of the bars in some.

grantgeneral78
03-28-2009, 08:40 PM
:elmer3:Ok now this is sad the redskins have almost as many threads as us genrals whats up with that!!

papaOU
03-28-2009, 09:07 PM
Must have something to do with those stationary-bikes you have to peddle to keep the computer up and running.

grantgeneral78
03-28-2009, 09:21 PM
Must have something to do with those stationary-bikes you have to peddle to keep the computer up and running.

OHHHH now that was a jab!

Generals64
03-30-2009, 02:23 PM
OHHHH now that was a jab!
I found out yesterday that Jefferson still has all of the equipment for wood and Metal shop and they DON'T use it at all. The teacher in charge says that it's not important.....I think EVERYBODY should build a bird house before leaving Jr. High.....Anyone else?????

FRISKY
03-30-2009, 03:39 PM
I found out yesterday that Jefferson still has all of the equipment for wood and Metal shop and they DON'T use it at all. The teacher in charge says that it's not important.....I think EVERYBODY should build a bird house before leaving Jr. High.....Anyone else?????Yes...I agree. Todays kids are growing up in a "throw-away" world. They don't understand the concept of fixing or building something.

Prunepicker
03-30-2009, 05:29 PM
I found out yesterday that Jefferson still has all of the equipment for wood
and Metal shop and they DON'T use it at all. The teacher in charge says that
it's not important... I think EVERYBODY should build a bird house before
leaving Jr. High... Anyone else?

The Industrial Arts are very important. I built a board once.

Generals64
03-30-2009, 05:36 PM
The Industrial Arts are very important. I built a board once.

11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 111111111111111111111
No, you got bored once....No, you got hit by a board more than once. No, once upon a time you got bored by a board. Right???? Still don't know why they don't teach these kids metal and wood shop they could learn how to make knives out of files....

papaOU
03-30-2009, 05:56 PM
I found out yesterday that Jefferson still has all of the equipment for wood and Metal shop and they DON'T use it at all. The teacher in charge says that it's not important.....I think EVERYBODY should build a bird house before leaving Jr. High.....Anyone else?????

In metalwork I made my Mother a flour/sugar scoop. She still uses it!

Generals64
03-30-2009, 06:20 PM
In metalwork I made my Mother a flour/sugar scoop. She still uses it!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's cool....See, there are so many things these kids could learn if they still had the old time shop/Vocational teachers....I was in the band....never was any good with tools. But, I can still read music and still play a band instrument...Wish I'd learn some shop skills though....In my work, I have scrounged up every kind of tool I can think of...still don't know how to use them. I even have a Plasma cutter....Concrete saw....yeah I get to get them out and look at them at Christmas and on my birthday....

Prunepicker
03-30-2009, 06:33 PM
11111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111111 1111111111
No, you got bored once... No, you got hit by a board more than once. No,
once upon a time you got bored by a board. Right? Still don't know why
they don't teach these kids metal and wood shop they could learn how to
make knives out of files...

All of the above!!! Buy not the knife thing. That would have cost too
many swats. Bingham and George could bring a Rhino off the ground.
They'd have probably killed some students if they'd taught at Capitol Hill.
:omg:Wait! They were Junior High teachers!

Shop was the best, except for Mr. Paddle-a-Lot, I mean Whitlock, in
Mechanical Drawing.

I made a 3 shelf thing, a wooden bowl and a foot stool. I think they're
at my Sis's. A pack of Black Cats went off in the bowl once.

It's a shame they don't have Shop anymore. I didn't know that.

Generals64
03-31-2009, 05:25 PM
All of the above!!! Buy not the knife thing. That would have cost too
many swats. Bingham and George could bring a Rhino off the ground.
They'd have probably killed some students if they'd taught at Capitol Hill.
:omg:Wait! They were Junior High teachers!

Shop was the best, except for Mr. Paddle-a-Lot, I mean Whitlock, in
Mechanical Drawing.

I made a 3 shelf thing, a wooden bowl and a foot stool. I think they're
at my Sis's. A pack of Black Cats went off in the bowl once.

It's a shame they don't have Shop anymore. I didn't know that.
Don't get a upset:...But, in today's society can you imagine what the kids would make? And then the OSHA rules would include
1. Helmet/w face guard
2. Steel Toe Boots
3. Safety Goggles
4. Dust collector masks
5. Leather Apron
6. Metal Band laced gloves
7. An EMT on call during class
8. The wood could not come from any Eco-development area and would have to be certified authentic
9. $ 5,000,000.00 Liability Insurance and No child under 18 would be allowed to use a hammer......

Now, that is just for the teachers, there's no telling what the kids would do....

grantgeneral78
04-01-2009, 06:47 AM
Even at jefferson they had shop, I took WORLD OF CONSTRUCTION. We built a wall from the ground up wired it , plumed it set window and door shingled it the whole works it was a blast. Used nail guns and all, and when do you ever get to wire stuff in JR HIGH....ummm NEVER.

Generals64
04-01-2009, 01:28 PM
Even at jefferson they had shop, I took WORLD OF CONSTRUCTION. We built a wall from the ground up wired it , plumed it set window and door shingled it the whole works it was a blast. Used nail guns and all, and when do you ever get to wire stuff in JR HIGH....ummm NEVER.
That's what I don't understand. All the equipment is still at Jefferson and no one will teach these kids how to cut a board. I can't even read a measuring tape.....but then again I never took shop either....

USG '60
04-01-2009, 02:30 PM
I took every shop class available from 7th thru 10th grades. Then I ended up with 2 masters degrees in Sociology and Human Relations. The funny thing is I ended up spending 30 yrs using what I learned in shop and only 10 using my advanced degrees. My life has been more fun and rewarding due to that choice. I would have been brain dead had I been in academia or at a desk job. But I don't regret having spent the time or the money on the education.

grantgeneral78
04-01-2009, 04:05 PM
I took every shop class available from 7th thru 10th grades. Then I ended up with 2 masters degrees in Sociology and Human Relations. The funny thing is I ended up spending 30 yrs using what I learned in shop and only 10 using my advanced degrees. My life has been more fun and rewarding due to that choice. I would have been brain dead had I been in academia or at a desk job. But I don't regret having spent the time or the money on the education.

Your experience is not rare, I have many folks I know of with degrees that do not use them and went into some other blue collar job that they enjoy more. I say life is so precious and short not to do what you enjoy the most, if it makes you happy it will only make the people that surround you happy as well.

by Professor of Life.
GEN 78

Generals64
04-01-2009, 06:15 PM
Your experience is not rare, I have many folks I know of with degrees that do not use them and went into some other blue collar job that they enjoy more. I say life is so precious and short not to do what you enjoy the most, if it makes you happy it will only make the people that surround you happy as well.

by Professor of Life.
GEN 78

Hey, I'm drowning in that one...That was Deep sir...

papaOU
04-01-2009, 06:32 PM
I dont remember ever having a class picture at grant.

Individual mug shots were taken.:Smiley036

Redskins/General
04-01-2009, 08:10 PM

by Professor of Life.
GEN 78
Now that was DEEP!!

Generals64
04-02-2009, 03:12 PM
Homosophifical speaking from a derranged Homo Sapien...
whatever...'78 probably had his wife write that for him...I still haven't figured out how he got that good looking wife.....did she marry him on a dare???? Boys and girls the Prom is almost on us...Do any of you remember anything about your Jr./Sr. Prom???....I bet all the guys stood around and told fictitious War stories and brag about what should have been. The girls were beautiful in their brand new (wear one time) prom dress. But, their daddies said it was worth it...Borrowed cars....A friend of mine owned a Chevrolet dealership and just before the prom, he called and asked if my youngest son would like to borrow a ride for the night....Boy, that's a friend. My son picked out a 6" lift Tahoe with running lights....cool looking ride....but, the little girl's dress was a little too tight to get up in the truck....I had to explain to him that this was her night....so he reluctantly took a 2000 model (in 2000) Camaro convertible....Sheesh....Boys and their cars....

Prunepicker
04-02-2009, 04:48 PM
Boys and girls the Prom is almost on us... Do any of you remember anything
about your Jr./Sr. Prom?

Although I was a General for a brief time, I ended up going to a boys school.
We didn't have a prom. We cleaned toilets, sorted socks, cleaned windows
and waxed floors, though...

grantgeneral78
04-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Homosophifical speaking from a derranged Homo Sapien...
whatever...'78 probably had his wife write that for him...I still haven't figured out how he got that good looking wife.....did she marry him on a dare???? Boys and girls the Prom is almost on us...Do any of you remember anything about your Jr./Sr. Prom???....I bet all the guys stood around and told fictitious War stories and brag about what should have been. The girls were beautiful in their brand new (wear one time) prom dress. But, their daddies said it was worth it...Borrowed cars....A friend of mine owned a Chevrolet dealership and just before the prom, he called and asked if my youngest son would like to borrow a ride for the night....Boy, that's a friend. My son picked out a 6" lift Tahoe with running lights....cool looking ride....but, the little girl's dress was a little too tight to get up in the truck....I had to explain to him that this was her night....so he reluctantly took a 2000 model (in 2000) Camaro convertible....Sheesh....Boys and their cars....

Ok I am neck deep in that one sir!

papaOU
04-02-2009, 06:55 PM
Although I was a General for a brief time, I ended up going to a boys school.
We didn't have a prom. We cleaned toilets, sorted socks, cleaned windows
and waxed floors, though...

Telling me to get a haircut and attending a boys school, was that the state school in Boley or Taft:police:, if you did not live in Capitol Hill you must have at least been conceived in the area. Talk about a greaser..............

BoomerSooner50
04-04-2009, 11:08 AM
does anyone remember Mrs. Baugh a teacher from Grant....she was such a nice lady, she put on a gruff facad but inside she was a sweetheart.

She not only was my brothers teacher in 1967, but was my teacher for a Bible Literature class that I took in 1974. She was a very kind teacher, believe her husband was a minister at a church on SW 74th.

Generals64
04-04-2009, 06:50 PM
She not only was my brothers teacher in 1967, but was my teacher for a Bible Literature class that I took in 1974. She was a very kind teacher, believe her husband was a minister at a church on SW 74th.

Mrs. Baugh was my English Teacher at Grant my Jr. year (62-63). She was a great teacher. You either liked her or you liked her. Right...I don't know anyone who didn't like Mrs. Baugh. I remember breaking down Prepositonal phrases....Sheesh Louise...Why???Her answer:..."I'll explain later".....Hmmm...Lovely lady and was always dressed nicely...Class act in my books....

CarltonsKeeper
04-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Mrs. Baugh was my English Teacher at Grant my Jr. year (62-63). She was a great teacher. You either liked her or you liked her. Right...I don't know anyone who didn't like Mrs. Baugh. I remember breaking down Prepositonal phrases....Sheesh Louise...Why???Her answer:..."I'll explain later".....Hmmm...Lovely lady and was always dressed nicely...Class act in my books....
Well dangle my participle!! Her Husband was the minister at the Baptist Church which use to be at the S.E. corner of Exchange and Penn. She was a very nice lady. I don't believe she ever did like ol' Gen/64 though! LOL

Prunepicker
04-04-2009, 08:54 PM
if you did not live in Capitol Hill you must have at least been conceived in the
area. Talk about a greaser...

My nickname is the best hint as to where I was conceived. :LolLolLol

Prunepicker
04-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Well dangle my participle!! Her Husband was the minister at the Baptist
Church which use to be at the S.E. corner of Exchange and Penn. She was a
very nice lady. I don't believe she ever did like ol' Gen/64 though! LOL

Would have have been Exchange Avenue Baptist Church?