View Full Version : U.S. GRANT GENERALS.......got memories?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]

papaOU
08-02-2010, 03:13 PM
I heard a rumor they were thinking of shutting the new grant down because of low academic scores ...is this true?

I heard it being kicked around but nothing serious. A teacher or spouse on the thread might be able to shed new light on the subject. The scores were low for a certain number of years and I think under those conditions it has to be closed. This was in the paper earlier this year when they locked the doors not allowing tardy students access to the building. Add the current budget crunch, some teachers claim they have no idea if they have a job this late in the summer, and it may very well may happen.
Guess CHHS would get the majority of the displaced "students" ( I use that term loosely)

osu cowboy
08-02-2010, 03:26 PM
I heard it being kicked around but nothing serious. A teacher or spouse on the thread might be able to shed new light on the subject. The scores were low for a certain number of years and I think under those conditions it has to be closed. This was in the paper earlier this year when they locked the doors not allowing tardy students access to the building. Add the current budget crunch, some teachers claim they have no idea if they have a job this late in the summer, and it may very well may happen.
Guess CHHS would get the majority of the displaced "students" ( I use that term loosely)

I think Grant was in the 4th year of low scores and is undergoing a"restructuring" model where the principal stays but lets half the teachers go(his picks) and rehires new ones. The ones that don't know where they will teach are some of those let go. They are still under contract and will be subs if not placed. The school is not closing at least this year from what I've heard. (I'm retired form the district)

Prunepicker
08-02-2010, 03:44 PM
I can't imagine spending all of that money on a new school just
to close it. Wait it's government.

Really, osucowboy is most likely right. What a concept. Fire
or move those who aren't doing their jobs and hire others.

corwin1968
08-11-2010, 09:05 AM
Yes, U.S. Grant failed to make adequate progress for a specific number of years (not sure if it's 4 or 5) and has been restructured. A new principal was hired last year and the restructuring program required him to let 50% of the educational staff go. These folks were all guarnateed jobs with the district (assuming they weren't among the first-year teachers who had their own employment issues) but they had a real possibility of ending up assigned to a specific school building as a "full-time sub". Not an appealing prospect.

As is typical of government "solutions", 50% is major overkill. I'm sure there was a small percentage of teachers at Grant who needed to go but it certainly wasn't 50% and probably was a fraction of that. I'm guessing the 50% is just an arbitrary number that some bureacrat came up with.

Teachers started back on 08/10/10 and 50% of them are new to the building and only one of the current administrators was at U.S. Grant 2 years ago. In addition, U.S. Grant received a lot of government money to help improve conditions and scores.

Grant is definately still open and I doubt that the prospect of closing the school, even though that might have been one of the options they faced, was seriously considered.

corpsman
08-12-2010, 03:59 AM
Yes, indeed, Grant is still open and with new school hours.............They are on an extended hours program this year; get to stay an hour later every day......After school detention for everyone, as it were.......

camy415
08-23-2010, 05:41 PM
I have a piano teacher named gary gruver that that had a mother that taught at hillcrest he's now in tx with sorta low health does that clear your question?

Prunepicker
08-24-2010, 12:20 PM
I have a piano teacher named gary gruver that that had a mother
that taught at hillcrest he's now in tx with sorta low health does
that clear your question?
To whom are you speaking? I see this is your first post. It's a
good idea to include part of the post you're referring because
things get moving and pushed down the thread.

Who was his mother at Hillcrest? I was in the first, first grade
class, 1960.

USG'60
08-24-2010, 12:34 PM
It was me about a year ago, I think. I asked if anyone knew where Gary was these days. He was incredibly talented as a kid. So, Camy, did he play piano as a career?

Generals64
08-24-2010, 01:14 PM
Gary's brother is a Police Officer and is in the OKC school system. Gary was down n the coast for a while and I had heard he was pretty sick....to answer '60's question I know he taught Piano for a while....Prunepicker....My daughter-in-law taught at Hillcrest.....My wife is subbing at Fillmore now....

osu cowboy
08-24-2010, 02:12 PM
Gary's brother is a Police Officer and is in the OKC school system. Gary was down n the coast for a while and I had heard he was pretty sick....to answer '60's question I know he taught Piano for a while....Prunepicker....My daughter-in-law taught at Hillcrest.....My wife is subbing at Fillmore now....

I taught at Hillcrest as well. Was curious who your daughter-in law was. Or have you already told me this? I was there from 79-06.

papaOU
08-24-2010, 02:29 PM

Millard Fillmore?

What grades/etc. did Gary's brother teach in Plano, Texas?

ljbab728
08-24-2010, 10:42 PM
I was in the first, first grade
class, 1960.

For some reason I always thought you were older than that. I preceeded you in the first grade by a number of years.

Prunepicker
08-24-2010, 11:19 PM
For some reason I always thought you were older than that. I
preceeded you in the first grade by a
number of years.
Don't worry about it. My wisdom and intellectual prowess makes
up for everything. Luckily for you, and my friends, I don't make
a big deal about it. Ask any of them. I do my best to be a
regular guy. I really do.

Preceeded? What does that mean?

ljbab728
08-24-2010, 11:48 PM
Don't worry about it. My wisdom and intellectual prowess makes
up for everything. Luckily for you, and my friends, I don't make
a big deal about it. Ask any of them. I do my best to be a
regular guy. I really do.

Preceeded? What does that mean?

One too many e's. Just wanted to see if you're paying attention.

Prunepicker
08-25-2010, 12:23 AM
One too many e's. Just wanted to see if you're paying attention.
Too many e's and what else? You're not paying attention, are
you? Perhaps you simply don't know how to spell, which is
obvious. Consult a dictionary. Good grief.

If you want to have a battle of wits it'd be a good idea to be
armed.

Generals64
08-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Maybe ljbab is armed....just no bullets....If you were ahead of him in the first grade....Hmmm I was in the first grade at...1951.....man, that was a long time ago in another galaxy far...far...away

Generals64
08-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Hey Pruner:....the Lady General is going to teach at dear grant high....Trying to find her cheerleader skirt....shouldn't have said that should I?????

Prunepicker
08-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Hey Pruner... the Lady General is going to teach at dear grant
high... Trying to find her cheerleader skirt... shouldn't have said
that should I?
I won't say a word. Which class will she be teaching, study
hall or detention?

papaOU
08-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Hey Pruner:....the Lady General is going to teach at dear grant high....Trying to find her cheerleader skirt....shouldn't have said that should I?????

Since most students have no idea where they are or what their doing, ask MOM for her Spartan getup.

ljbab728
08-25-2010, 10:51 PM
Too many e's and what else? You're not paying attention, are
you? Perhaps you simply don't know how to spell, which is
obvious. Consult a dictionary. Good grief.

If you want to have a battle of wits it'd be a good idea to be
armed.

Other than the extra "E" this is exactly what I meant. I didn't have to look in the dictionary first either.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/preceded

Maybe you're the one who isn't paying attention. And I've corrected your spelling before, prunepicker, so don't be so quick to criticize that.

ljbab728
08-26-2010, 12:20 AM
Maybe ljbab is armed....just no bullets....If you were ahead of him in the first grade....Hmmm I was in the first grade at...1951.....man, that was a long time ago in another galaxy far...far...away

Well, General, you "preceded" me by one year and yes that was a long time ago and very far far away.

Generals64
08-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Well, General, you "preceded" me by one year and yes that was a long time ago and very far far away.

where did YOU go to school????both elementary and High School????

ljbab728
08-27-2010, 10:03 PM
where did YOU go to school????both elementary and High School????

A little South of you in Norman. I had several cousins at Grant but they were a few years younger than me. And a few of my older cousins were at Capitol Hill.

Prunepicker
08-27-2010, 10:59 PM
Well, General, you "preceded" me by one year and yes that was
a long time ago and very far far away.
Gen64 remembers what it was like without dirt.

Prunepicker
08-27-2010, 11:07 PM
Did anyone have any trouble getting on the board the past
few days?

ljbab728
08-27-2010, 11:54 PM
few days?

Yes, it was down for a while yesterday.

papaOU
08-28-2010, 12:11 AM
few days?

mucho problemo thursday and until late friday

Talked with Southside Girl friday and she also was having problems..

But she was at work and since she works for the State of Oklahoma, equipment and performance are not required!!!

Taxed But Not Represented
08-31-2010, 09:13 PM
I was a Spartan, but knew what a wonderful lady Christine Baugh was. She was Pastor Frank Baugh's wife, the Pastor at Exchange Avenue Baptist for many, many years.
does anyone remember Mrs. Baugh a teacher from Grant....she was such a nice lady, she put on a gruff facad but inside she was a sweetheart.

Okiezmom
09-02-2010, 09:57 PM
She was my English teacher. She was great!

papaOU
09-02-2010, 11:38 PM
few days?

I did earlier in the week. Southside Girl did as well.

grantgeneral78
09-06-2010, 03:34 PM
She was my English teacher. She was great!

Yes she was, is she still around?

Generals64
09-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Hey guys.....This Friday Night U.S. Grant is playing Capitol Hill at C.B. Speegle Stadium....7:30 kick-off.....Help support dear Grant High. PapaOU has already got half the Southside coming for the game....

RealJimbo
09-10-2010, 05:50 AM
Grant memory - met a girl from Grant in the Spring of 1967. Married her in the Fall of 1967 and she divorced me in the Fall of 1968. Biggest mistake of my life, but thank God for second chances...met a girl from Edmond in the Fall of 1970, married her in the Summer of 1972 and we were married 38 years this Summer (2010). Best thing I ever did.

gen70
09-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Grant memory - met a girl from Grant in the Spring of 1967. Married her in the Fall of 1967 and she divorced me in the Fall of 1968. Biggest mistake of my life, but thank God for second chances...met a girl from Edmond in the Fall of 1970, married her in the Summer of 1972 and we were married 38 years this Summer (2010). Best thing I ever did. congrats..

Prunepicker
09-10-2010, 01:58 PM
Hey guys... This Friday Night U.S. Grant is playing Capitol Hill at
C.B. Speegle Stadium... 7:30 kick-off... Help support dear Grant
High. PapaOU has already got half the Southside coming for
the game...
Who all is going to the game? Do we dare sit on the CHHS side?

Teachers get in free! At least we did last week.

papaOU
09-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Who all is going to the game? Do we dare sit on the CHHS side?

Teachers get in free! At least we did last week.

I was there and that's all that matters. Grant 12 CHHS13!! :hobbes:

Generals64
09-15-2010, 02:00 PM
I guess Grant is going to play Herronville this Friday night at Woodson Park?....

Generals64
09-15-2010, 06:54 PM
i have brought this up before but, can not get an answer from him. Carltonskeeper's best friend in High School was the one that brought the Cannon to Grant in the class of 1965. Tell us the story Carltonskeeper.....How much was it and where did you guys get that thing?????

CarltonsKeeper
09-15-2010, 07:28 PM
i have brought this up before but, can not get an answer from him. Carltonskeeper's best friend in High School was the one that brought the Cannon to Grant in the class of 1965. Tell us the story Carltonskeeper.....How much was it and where did you guys get that thing?????

I never was involved in the cannon purchase and haven't a clue where he found it or what it cost!!

Generals64
09-16-2010, 07:43 AM
I never was involved in the cannon purchase and haven't a clue where he found it or what it cost!!

I wonder who was the actual locator of the Cannon?....I do know your pal was involved with it. I do know it was donated by the class of 1965....and the thing was delivered before school was let out in 1965.....Hmmmm who would we ask????

Prunepicker
09-16-2010, 10:09 PM
I wonder who was the actual locator of the Cannon? I do know
your pal was involved with it. I do know it was donated by the
class of 1965... and the thing was delivered before school was let
out in 1965... Hmmmm who would we ask?
Everett Semrad?

Generals64
09-17-2010, 08:13 AM
Everett Semrad?

No, Danny Parker (killed in Viet Nam in 1969) was the guilty party to begin with but, the Cannon is probably the most "abused" mascot item in the OKC Public School System. I talked with Carltonskeeper yesterday and he seems to think maybe someone in the Journalism department might know something......Of course if it's a teacher they would be rather old right now....If it's a current student I'd question the authenticity....However....the class of 1964 donated an organ.......PapaOU .....Don't even go there.....

papaOU
09-17-2010, 11:31 AM
So when are you going to get in touch with the journalism class/group?

CarltonsKeeper
09-17-2010, 03:21 PM
No, Danny Parker (killed in Viet Nam in 1969) was the guilty party to begin with but, the Cannon is probably the most "abused" mascot item in the OKC Public School System. I talked with Carltonskeeper yesterday and he seems to think maybe someone in the Journalism department might know something......Of course if it's a teacher they would be rather old right now....If it's a current student I'd question the authenticity....However....the class of 1964 donated an organ.......PapaOU .....Don't even go there.....

I heard it was a minature model??? Class of '65' had the big gun's, I mean Cannon!!!

papaOU
09-17-2010, 07:47 PM
"No, Danny Parker (killed in Viet Nam in 1969) was the guilty party to begin with"

Ever notice how when '64 has given a source to validate his claims they have all passed on...

Generals64
09-17-2010, 08:25 PM
"No, Danny Parker (killed in Viet Nam in 1969) was the guilty party to begin with"

Ever notice how when '64 has given a source to validate his claims they have all passed on...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++
Easy on that one Pop....I grew up with him until he was killed.....Carltonskeeper will tell you the same.....though none of the soldiers should have died but that one has hit home since June 6th ,1969.....Miss Danny a lot...

papaOU
09-17-2010, 11:13 PM
It was not for you to take seriously. Take a couple of tabs and call mom in the morning.

grantgeneral78
02-24-2011, 11:21 AM
I am curious if they ever dug up the time capsule at grant before they started all the dirt work for the new school?

ctchandler
04-25-2011, 09:33 AM
================================================== =============
Yep, I got a taste of that more than once......Semrad was pretty wicked also...But, the one that stung the longest was Mr. Coffelt.....

I was browsing this thread when I noticed the comments about swats so thought I would comment. The most memorable swat I ever received was when Mr. Hostetter gave me the option of a huge paddle or a dowel rod. I knew that little stick couldn't hurt very much, so that was my choice. WOW, how stupid was I? I certainly learned a lesson that day. I do remember Mr. Neese could really get out attention.
C. T.

Prunepicker
04-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Mr Delbert George, wood work, would let us pick a board from the
wood pile. We'd almost always pick something scrawny. He'd
break it over our butt, and it'd hurt, then make us get another
one.